• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2953 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Natro

[Suggestion] A Test of Skills Reply to this Post

This is just a suggestion on a new building or something that could be added to the inn. It might have been suggested before but here it goes.

A building full of every type of puzzle multiplied and link making everything become a competition (A ring for multiple people sword fights 4 or 6 navigation, sailing, bilging ect... puzzles that are link. This will not make it necessary to change the puzzles (they could just be the same but have time limits and who ever does the best in that time limit wins or change it on the nav and sailing that extra pieces will fall from the top if your opponent makes a really good combo. On bilging instead of draining water you make water rise on the opponents screen first to get the other to the top wins. On nav first to make other boach or reach a set number of color/symbol matches and first to set number of boards)

This place could also have really small sloops where teams could race on lanes to the finish line. A record list (No legendary or things like that but a real ranking so they can have a champion of the island or of the building at least and set up 1 on 1 battles between champions from different islands and sell tickets to spectators) as a real Rating of skill instead of the one we have now that can be got around.

The owner of this building can normally sell tickets for casual use or rent the building out to a flag or crew for a set price. This building will make it easier to hold tournaments and make it a good place to just spend your money heck you can even make it NPP run so it can be a money drain.

(Btw the nav puzzle could count towards your skill making the nav requirement easier to get)

Fudu, Capt. of the crew Specter of an Unknown Goat
[Sep 3, 2003 3:18:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Re: [Suggestion] A Test of Skills Reply to this Post

Hmmm, though it's a good thought, I don't really like the idea of it too much. It seems a little too farcical. Perhaps it would be a better idea to let ships at sea challenge each other to tests of ability such as racing or bilging or whatever.
----------------------------------------
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 3, 2003 5:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

Racing would be cool, but you don't really need a new game mechanic for it.
Quartermaster Bates of Mog's Marauders
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 3, 2003 8:23:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Natro

burrito wrote

Hmmm, though it's a good thought, I don't really like the idea of it too much. It seems a little too farcical. Perhaps it would be a better idea to let ships at sea challenge each other to tests of ability such as racing or bilging or whatever.

Sounds good.

mlk wrote

Racing would be cool, but you don't really need a new game mechanic for it.

How about just adding a racing lane between islands that devs or the owner of the building could set certain obsticals to.

Just putting in my two cents with this post. The more suggestions the better the chance a good idea might come foward.
[Sep 3, 2003 9:12:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

How about just adding a racing lane between islands

What is a racing lane, if not just a map between two islands?
I guess having "disposable" maps for teams with out the map between two islands would be good, or maybe player free routes.
But then I quite like the idea of ambusing the other teams, Muhahahahaha.

that devs or the owner of the building could set certain obsticals to.

This could be cool. Setting up sea monsters to take on, or even requring the teams to "steal" X amount of certain goods on route.

I like it.
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 3, 2003 9:26:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

With regards to the racing, I think it'd be cool if the race took place in sea battle format, where you have to go through a set course without hitting rocks and while firing cannons at each other.

[Sep 3, 2003 9:38:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
Natro

mlk wrote

What is a racing lane, if not just a map between two islands?
I guess having "disposable" maps for teams with out the map between two islands would be good, or maybe player free routes.
But then I quite like the idea of ambusing the other teams, Muhahahahaha.

I was thinking a set course set by the person that first set the rules. And the idea of being able to help your flag or crew with a second ship as a ambush is a great idea makeing a mini flag war out of a race and by setting up anbushes at stratigic points or maybe fogbanks.

mlk wrote

This could be cool. Setting up sea monsters to take on, or even requring the teams to "steal" X amount of certain goods on route.

now that would be a true test of skill and speed.

burrito wrote

With regards to the racing, I think it'd be cool if the race took place in sea battle format, where you have to go through a set course without hitting rocks and while firing cannons at each other.

Now that would be fun. Throw in targets on the way and you got yourself an competitive cannon target gallery. Maybe a set number of targets and you get an extra token more cannon balls or repairs.
[Sep 3, 2003 2:06:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

Inspired by this, I'm going to try to start a race.
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 3, 2003 2:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Hanns

Hm..Races could be interesting if they were all staged with one-person, one-sailing station rowboats or something.
-Spolto, some random guy of millions of people in the Midnight ocean.

-Ayrus, Senior Officer in the La Giustizia Implacabile.
[Sep 3, 2003 2:48:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SCHALAAY

That would be neat ship - little 2 person sailboats. I'd love to have something like that, just for hauling really small stuff (like herbs). Or for just scooting around the ocean - I'd assume it could get up to speed pretty fast.
[Sep 3, 2003 3:12:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanns

Hehe..I can already picture two rowboat users pitching swords in battle..
-Spolto, some random guy of millions of people in the Midnight ocean.

-Ayrus, Senior Officer in the La Giustizia Implacabile.
[Sep 4, 2003 5:33:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SCHALAAY

Heck, I'd love a little boat like that, even if it had no cargo space (besides enough for rum.) Small and fast, make it from Tadpole to Uxmal in ten minutes. (exaggerating slightly, of course)
... I think there would be carp and navigation issues with a one-person ship, but a tiny little two-seater would be fun.
[Sep 4, 2003 7:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

I can't imagine a two-person rowboat having much by way of navigation; in fact, I wouldn't expect it to have much by way of repair equipment on board either. So I'd expect just two stations, really: the oars... and a bucket. And you can take it out solo, of course, so long as you don't mind occassionally dropping the oars to grab the bucket.
[Sep 4, 2003 11:03:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

SCHALAAY wrote: 
Heck, I'd love a little boat like that, even if it had no cargo space (besides enough for rum.)

Actually, this also reminds me of something else I'd been thinking of. Better than the little rowboat having cargo space for rum, it might be fun if you could carry a single unit of rum in your inventory, for personal use -- whether it's an emergency supply in case you wind up on a ship that's been drunk (or pillaged) dry, or for bribing other pirates with ("If ye /job me, I'll e'en bring me own rum!"), or even for running multi-player drinking games without the need for a table/keg nearby. The "bottle o' rum" is such a popular pirate cliche that it's a shame not to have it implemented. It'd also give the inns something to actually sell (the inn could order rum by the keg from the brewery, and then sell it to pirates by the bottle).
[Sep 4, 2003 12:09:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

One- and two- person boats probably aren't going to happen. I don't know what is so attractive about them, but it keeps coming up.

The original topic . . .

A building full of every type of puzzle multiplied and link making everything become a competition (A ring for multiple people sword fights 4 or 6 navigation, sailing, bilging ect... puzzles that are link.

. . . about a structure with multiples of the duty puzzles for contests sounds like A BOAT. Which are already in-game. There aren't multiple navigation stations, but it's close. Having some sort of mechanism for running contests from anywhere there are puzzles makes more sense than some building in the middle of an island, with bilge pumps all around.
[Sep 4, 2003 9:35:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Natro

homullus wrote

. . about a structure with multiples of the duty puzzles for contests sounds like A BOAT. Which are already in-game. There aren't multiple navigation stations, but it's close. Having some sort of mechanism for running contests from anywhere there are puzzles makes more sense than some building in the middle of an island, with bilge pumps all around.

Well i was trying to find a way to intraduce a new sort of way to make money and a better way to orginize events maybe seprate rooms for seprate events. I could even be a money drain which is needed by making it run by NPP's.
[Sep 5, 2003 3:14:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

homullus wrote: 
. . . about a structure with multiples of the duty puzzles for contests sounds like A BOAT. Which are already in-game. There aren't multiple navigation stations, but it's close. Having some sort of mechanism for running contests from anywhere there are puzzles makes more sense than some building in the middle of an island, with bilge pumps all around.

Yeah, just seems like an unrealistic idea to have bilge pumps sitting around your inn.

And about the rowboats--do you guys realize how many inexperienced crews there are out there right now on the high seas? Do you know how much sea traffic those rowboats will cause? Suddenly, everyone will have a rowboat and there will be 50000 boats at sea.

[Sep 5, 2003 10:41:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

homullus wrote: 
One- and two- person boats probably aren't going to happen. I don't know what is so attractive about them, but it keeps coming up.

Because everyone, and I mean everyone, comes into the game wanting to get a ship/boat of their own, be their own master, sail where they will, etc. It's the ideal of total freedom, and while it runs counter to the social nature of this game, it's the first and most obvious goal for new players.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 6, 2003 4:25:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Maybe I'm feeling pessimistic. Reply to this Post

Wouldn't it be nice if, at some point when the failures of a new and incompetent captain prove too much, they could take their now-worthless boat and turn it back into resources? Maybe not as many as were used in its construction, but maybe take that small sloop and get a couple dozen wood and some brown cloth....

I mean, they could just sell it back to the shipyard or to new players but I think the market on small sloops is very near to becoming saturated. I doubt many people will recognize this and will undoubtedly continue to buy small sloops and soon you won't be able to leave port in your nice shiny new war brig without seeing an island ringed by two-man crews...
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 6, 2003 5:33:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

cmdrzoom wrote: 
homullus wrote: 

Because everyone, and I mean everyone, comes into the game wanting to get a ship/boat of their own, be their own master, sail where they will, etc.

To be honest, I'm not sure that I see two-crew-max boats as a bad thing at all, provided they're suitably limited. Specifically, a rowboat is too small to sail the high seas, but perfectly suited for sailing in cricles around an island, just like the training ships do. They should be only be able to attack or be attacked by other rowboats, should have no cargo space or coffers (just a little booty lockbox), and should have a small but permanent amount of damage that never goes up or down (since they're rickety little things, after all).

Since a rowboat isn't a ship, per se, they wouldn't have to be crew vessels. A rowboat would belong completely to (and could be piloted by) whoever held the deed, whether they were a senior officer or a cabin person in their own crew. I think that allowing this would actually cut down quite a bit on the number of tiny crews with unprepared captains out there, because new players wouldn't need to buy yet another small sloop and start up their own crew just to "be their own master" for a little bit.

Eventually most folks would grow out of the phase, but this way they wouldn't end up souring any new jobbers' experience with the game, or get in the way of the more experienced crews while sowing their oats as bad captains. And as long as they were separated from the real ships in the dock list (say, with a button to switch between listing ships and listing boats), then you wouldn't even need to see all the rowboats ringing every island.
[Sep 6, 2003 5:37:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
Syzerian

wow thats an interesting idea would be really great... i can see it now competitive bilging... :) both would start out with half full bilge and try to drown out the opponent.
and maybe in sailing there would be some sort of fan between 2 sails and u have to move it across to make sure u get the best wind
hmmmm dont know how carpentry would work tho... maybe hmmm nope that wouldnt make sense.... well maybe navigating ur both fighting for control of the wheel
but group sword fighting without teh skellies or in a ship would be very good for compititions but would leave to arguements on the team up being unfare unless the damage u did was spred between all of the opponants
Angel of Thruth and Honor
~Syzerian Aralos~
[Sep 6, 2003 5:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates