• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3548 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Arthas

Sea monsters Reply to this Post

http://www.pp-nest.net/forums/YaBB.cgi?board=General;action=display;num=1062532599

The original thread is there. Just thought I would put it here for more eyes to see.
----------------------------------------
Antioch/Vhailor-

Back with bigger guns.
[Sep 2, 2003 3:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    antiochkinstar@yahoo.com    devolution T [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: Sea monsters Reply to this Post

Consider at least some of the sea monster ideas as being on the list:

Nemo wrote: 

Complete Monster Integration: The full system of monster-slaying and treasure hunting over full islands will come with "Adventure Islands." This is a large and dynamic add-on to the existing Puzzle Pirates world and will come later.

As an additional fun fact, I recall there being a really old teaser shot for the game that featured a minotaur.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

Personally, I'm hoping for a Hydra -- perfect for taking on a group of adventurers. Each time a first-generation head is eliminated, two second-generation heads take its place. (Of course, it'd probably have to die when it ran out of second-generation (or perhaps third-generation) heads, or else it could turn into a rather long fight.)
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

aye... concerning hydras - I assume most have seen Disney's Hercules - I'll just quote philatetes : "Will you cut the head-slicing thing !"
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

It would be nice if some battles would be totally sea oriented such as perhaps the Kraken. You would need to say get X hits on the monster before it would die, and you could "pillage" the beast. If you take to many hits the monster would simply leave the battle "say when your damage guage hits full". :P

Perhaps there could be Sirens in a land or sea form. On land they would force the players to be divided between the targets, and would prevent teaming up, but on water they could be surrounded by rocks, and each turn would have a forced move towards them.
"Super Profundo on the early eve of your day." - Waking Life
[Sep 2, 2003 5:47:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captainhead

I'd like to put forth a request for a specific sea monster:
Cthulhu

He'd be like the black ship (sorta). If you attack a blue, he'll show up.

But instead, he eats the blue ship.

Then eats you.

Who's with me?
[Sep 3, 2003 4:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ShotgunRitual [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Captainhead wrote: 

But instead, he eats the blue ship.

Then eats you.

Then your first-born.

*Edit: he should also be riding a shark.
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Edit 1 times, last edit by burrito at Sep 3, 2003 5:15:54 AM]
[Sep 3, 2003 5:15:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I'm on the "Sea Monster" diet . . .
[Sep 3, 2003 5:20:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Bluebeard
Artist

With exception of the Cthulhu who apparently eats everything, ye all are on the right track in your other musings....

Nemo and I have made all the monstarrrss: they lie in wait to enter into the seven seas and the lands above.
---------------------------
jacquilynne wrote:
"And if you don't love pirates, well, what do you love?"
[Sep 3, 2003 5:56:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

Another thought, which you guys might already be doing (since you rock -- I'm talking to you, Ringers), but which wouldn't be hard to add to an existing monster if you're not (well, in the sense that it wouldn't require majorly reworking the monster itself, not in the sense that it wouldn't require a big tweak to the weapon-manufacturing business), would be if you could loot the claw/fang/whatever from one of the special monster types after defeating it, and then bring that item to an ironmonger and have it forged into a sword that replicates that monster's attack pattern (was that really all just one sentence?).

To put it more simply: the Talonblade could only be manufactured by using a unit of Roc's Talon (just like a falchion can only be manufactured by using cubanite), and a unit of Roc's Talon can only be acquiring by defeating a roc, which just happens to naturally fight the same as if it were wielding two Talonblades.
[Sep 3, 2003 6:24:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

actually jota's idea is awfully close to the gemming idea I made. I like it.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 3, 2003 6:43:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bluebeard
Artist

Yer very close Jota. Rest assured, ye will get special items from the monstarrrs should ye defeat them. These will be able to be forged into other refined things (like swords and potions), or they can be kept as a trophy. Well, that is the plan on the list anyway. Keep yer eyes on the horizons... thar be adventure islands ahead!
jacquilynne wrote:
[Sep 3, 2003 8:40:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

hrm. i presume we do no need to worry about uber-blades and power-potions to be gained from highly camped uber-mobs?

arr.. aye, i know that ye ringers dont want that, but it sure does sound a touch like it.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Sep 3, 2003 8:49:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Bluebeard
Artist

Right ye are Garf. The items made from the things gotten from monstarrrs (Minotaur horn, etc.) would in no way be uber powerful. Maybe they would be like a cleaver -- a bit of a step up from the norm but not overpowering by any means -- or maybe they would just be really useful items to have.
jacquilynne wrote:
[Sep 3, 2003 1:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

One problem with the Cthulhu idea is that Three Rings would be required to lease the rights to the "Lovecraft Mythos", and pay fees, and/or royaltys for the use of Cthulhu in the game. As much as i would like to see it in the game it's not going to happen.

Small question thought about the monster rewards... What are potions? If you could provide a answer or a link to another thread detailing/hinting at their used that would be great.

Thanks. :)
[Sep 3, 2003 5:21:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I don't think that has been fully decided upon, yet. Potions will come in various flavors and have a number of different effects upon puzzles and upon your pirate. A few of the more popular suggestions have potions impacting swordfights by removing blocks from your board, or having your own strikes hit extra hard. It remains to be seen what actually makes it into the game.
[Sep 3, 2003 5:53:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

I remember reading about potions that could change the hair/beard color, and possibly skin color of yer pirate, if you're not entirely happy with it.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 3, 2003 6:43:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

homullus wrote: 
I'm on the "Sea Monster" diet . . .

/em groans
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Sep 3, 2003 11:09:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Well, at least somebody got it.
[Sep 3, 2003 11:11:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

homullus wrote: 
Well, at least somebody got it.

There are some of us who were ignoring it. :p
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Sep 3, 2003 11:20:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

OR decide not to comment at all - no matter how rediculous
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 3, 2003 11:52:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

You're just jealous because you didn't think of it.
[Sep 4, 2003 12:04:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

why would I be jealous of a man and his monkey ?
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 4, 2003 12:07:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

JonIncognito wrote: 
One problem with the Cthulhu idea is that Three Rings would be required to lease the rights to the "Lovecraft Mythos", and pay fees, and/or royaltys for the use of Cthulhu in the game. As much as i would like to see it in the game it's not going to happen.

It really was a joke, buddy.

[Sep 4, 2003 1:43:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
Captainhead

burrito wrote: 
JonIncognito wrote: 

It really was a joke, buddy.

I'm fairly certain the Mythos is in the public domain at this point. There are websites with full collections of Lovecraft's writings available in .txt or .html for reading. The stories are about 80 years old...

Tell me you don't want to see a Great Old One devouring everything it can get its tentacles around during a sea battle. With pirates going insane, throwing themselves on their own skull daggers, etc...
[Sep 4, 2003 2:50:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ShotgunRitual [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

Captainhead wrote: 
I'm fairly certain the Mythos is in the public domain at this point. There are websites with full collections of Lovecraft's writings available in .txt or .html for reading. The stories are about 80 years old...

While I'm pretty sure some of the stories are in the public domain (the earlier ones, to be specific), I don't believe the Mythos as a whole is. And I'm quite certain that the application of the Mythos in the form of commercial games isn't (from having talked with a friend who's in the game-design business).
[Sep 4, 2003 10:50:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

We should pay a monthly fee to the owners of Mythos for Cthulu.

And if you ever are attacked by Cthulu, your crew members immediately crap themselves and jump overboard in an unending panic, dropping every item in your inventory and making them scared to ever sail the seas again.

[Sep 4, 2003 12:44:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Oh don't get me wrong.. I would love to see Cthulhu in the game, and i'm a fan of Lovecraft's works, but i just think the chance of it happening are on the same level as being bitten by a radioactive hat, and becoming a super hero known only as "Bowler Man".

Thanks to those who provided info on the potions.. I think the Hair/skin color changing feature would be great..

Mild Mannered Bill Boxley the Junior Assistant manager of Steve Steverson's Haberdashery becomes "Boooooler Maaaannn!" by night. He who's Super Powers are to be able to look absolutely smashing in a tuxedo, and bowler.

http://portroyaltradingco.com/pr_hats1.html
[Sep 4, 2003 5:35:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Jota wrote: 

While I'm pretty sure some of the stories are in the public domain (the earlier ones, to be specific), I don't believe the Mythos as a whole is. And I'm quite certain that the application of the Mythos in the form of commercial games isn't (from having talked with a friend who's in the game-design business).

About half of HP Lovecrafts works would be in the public domain - that is anything written before 1923 (he started in 1919).
Whereas the law now in Europe and (I think) the States is that copyright is automatically extended 70 years after the authors death (2007 in Lovecrafts case), that wasn't the case in his time and no copyright extension papers in his name has ever been found.
However different companies (two I think) are fighting and claiming to own the copyright, so publishing a collection of his works could land you in costly legal battles.

And I'm quite sure, that the right to make games featuring the mythos is copyrighted up the wazoo (But it's a complicated issue. I know Chaosium holds the copyright for the use of Call of Cthulhu and Mythos) - so the Ringers probably couldn't go there.
...and why would they? I love the mythos as much as the next guy... but it's not very piratey.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Sep 4, 2003 10:31:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Pirates = COOLEST EVER
CTHULU = COOLEST EVER
Ninjas = COOLEST EVER
Robots = COOLEST EVER

So, yeah, Pirates and Cthulu fit together quite perfectly. (As do Ninjas and Robots.)

[Sep 5, 2003 12:03:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates