• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 113
Posts: 113   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9274 times and has 112 replies Next Thread
Demeana

Puzzle pirate duty puzzles: Damn boring, not at all fun, and Reply to this Post

Sailing, bilging and carpentry are all booched. Having none of the fun of the crafting puzzles, balanced by none of the pay -- it?s a make-work task, no wonder many people escape out of their ?duty,? waiting around for the sword fighting heart of the game!

All the puzzles lack the interactivity of the multiplayer games, and the satisfaction of a job well done of the gunning puzzle. They lack feedback for the effect you?re having on the boat, they lack an end state for when your duty is finished, and the ships should have the fun multiplayer options that the inns do. If you want to practice one of the duty puzzles, that should be what the navy is for, and would encourage people to this underused part of the game.

Sailing: Dull and claustrophobic. I would suggest scrapping. You could replace it with a wind catching system, a mini-game where the board is full of moving arrows and you have a mini-boat with different sails to set out or reel in. Make the number of arrows dependent on the skills of the navigator.

Also: Make the number of move tokens apparent. How am I affecting the fun battle nav?

Bilging: Dull as dishwater. Feels random, boring, colorless. Water comes in pink and aqua ? why must I look at a set of blue textures? How about a larger board, needing 4 to match, less of a penalty for moves, and an interactive system where water pours in from the top of the screen as the holes get larger? What about some feedback where you could see how the carpenters were doing ? and a ?duty finished? panel when there?s nothing left to build.

Carpentry: Fun, but inert. Why am I filling holes when none exist? Give me holes to fill only when there?s damage. Make the cannon-fire blow apart one of my almost-masterpieces. Make me curse a bad battle-nav?er. Show me how much water is pouring into the bilge ? make the bilgers curse me when I?m a bad carpenter.

Gunning: Fun but end-state isn?t clear. Why not move the screen to the remaining unloaded guns when the screen is finished, or report ?Duty done?? Make the cannons fire on the game board.

And when there?s nothing left to do, let me join tournaments and parlor games. The life of a pirate wasn?t all work, y?know. Give me a carousing game that I can only play on a ship if my duty is complete.

Make folks who don?t do their duty drink more then their share of rum, and make them ?tipsy? in SF. Let?s all get a break to see the plank walk ? make an example out of ?em.

Bottom line ? make the duty puzzles fun by being shorter, more interactive, and more palpably connected with the other members and the overall functioning of the ship. Get more people out onto the ships by giving them fun inn options, and pay them for duty, not just fighting.
----------------------------------------
Shelleagh on Sage
[Jul 29, 2005 1:11:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Re: Puzzle pirate duty puzzles: Damn boring, not at all fun, Reply to this Post

Demeana wrote: 
And when there?s nothing left to do, let me join tournaments and parlor games. The life of a pirate wasn?t all work, y?know. Give me a carousing game that I can only play on a ship if my duty is complete.

But the point is there is never notting left to do, the duty is never finished. The minute you stop carping or bilging the damage and waterlevel will slowly go up again. You keep bilging and carping to keep the ship in good shape. Besides, joining tourneys or any other parlor or carousing game, will never work. I can see it now, ship getting into battle, OiC needing the people to grab a duty, and getting people saying no wait i can't right now, i'm in a tourney or whatever.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Jul 29, 2005 1:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christoban

Re: Puzzle pirate duty puzzles: Damn boring, not at all fun, and Reply to this Post

Methinks the top poster doesn't understand the puzzles.

Sailing is one of the most finely crafted puzzles available in any game. Come back after you score your first three platform bingo in sails, and see if the lightbulb comes on.

Also of note:
The stars, the sparkly progress icon, the damage/bilge/sail meters, the LP jobbing reports.

Thank you, drive through.
game design wrote: 
..let's see, we have thing A and thing B, with thing B currently not implemented yet. Thing A leads to people stabbing themselves in the eye, as does thing B... but since A already exists..

[Jul 29, 2005 1:42:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
psychox

Re: Puzzle pirate duty puzzles: Damn boring, not at all fun, and Reply to this Post

Yeah

The game is called Puzzle Pirates , and your suggestions aren't much as puzzles , i think
Also , ye like gunning , but gunning aint actually a puzzle

And ye asked for a parlor game after doing some work aboard the ship?Or did i get it wrong?
If yes , there are many who just spend they're time in inn , fun for them
But there are many more who pilage , they're fun
And the rest do both part time , the best

A pirate needs to work to get money as in real life , work and work , get some poe then go relax in inn...

But no one is forcing ye to go do those puzzles pilaging, im sure most love them , ye can just stay in inn...
Rivered says, "I love seeing the governor at the table makes me feel much better about my tax money..."
Hohumdiddly lovely said:

Shrike, stop talking please and do your homework before you speak.

[Jul 29, 2005 1:55:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Christoban wrote: 
Also of note:
The stars, the sparkly progress icon, the damage/bilge/sail meters, the LP jobbing reports.

Not enough. The feedback exists in a void. There's no way of telling how much your sparkles are actually helping the ship, or what real impact that they're having. They let you know that you're doing well, but not really how you're affecting the ship. Notice that gunnery doesn't have this problem!

I think some of the suggestions are good. If a clear is what puts the score over the top to create a move token, why not display it? Bilging is probably fine - the water level is shared by all players, so it's a common indicator. In carpentry, what about having something like:
Damage Repaired since starting this puzzle:
You: X small shot! Crew: Y Large shot!

It gives a sense of personal contribution and group effort. It helps make you feel like you're doing something meaningful.

The meters on the right change too slowly to serve this purpose. They help the OIC run the ship, certainly, but they're not sufficient for duty feedback.

The duty reports certainly help, but they're also different - they measure personal contributions, but not team, and they're also only once per league.

Notorious atteSmythe,
who wouldn't have stated it as the OP, but does see some merit

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jul 29, 2005 1:56:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Heygabe

Interestingly, the only issue I agree with that this poster makes is one that is not congruent with my own beliefs.

Carpentry: Fun, but inert. Why am I filling holes when none exist? Give me holes to fill only when there?s damage. Make the cannon-fire blow apart one of my almost-masterpieces. Make me curse a bad battle-nav?er. Show me how much water is pouring into the bilge ? make the bilgers curse me when I?m a bad carpenter.

Carpentry is one of the few puzzles that can be "beaten" in that there generally is a "best fit" placement for a peice. However, It is the duty puzzle I enjoy least.

I like the cannonfire suggestion, however. That's cool.

RE: Bilge: The Bilge took a hit when they added the star system, becuase now you have to work your way up to the seven-piece bilge puzzle. However, the bilge improved with the recent revision of the speed and bubblies.

Re: Interaction and Feedback: Sparkleys, mate. It's all about the sparklies.
--Watching the Mad Professor from a distance
If we are steadfast in our resolve to have fun, then fun we will have.
[Jul 29, 2005 2:06:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

The OP also seems to be suggesting ideas that would universally make the downloads about thirty times bigger, and constantly lag out anyone running dial-up.
[Jul 29, 2005 2:08:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Devonin wrote: 
The OP also seems to be suggesting ideas that would universally make the downloads about thirty times bigger, and constantly lag out anyone running dial-up.

The suggested implementation of an idea shouldn't affect the merits of the perceived problem behind the change.

So the feedback shouldn't be gee-whiz flash-bang animation. Is more feedback warranted?

Notorious atteSmythe,
figuring that feedback in a void was probably a design consideration, though

[Jul 29, 2005 2:12:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

um, you do see the cannons shooting. that's what makes them "dirty".

It's much more obvious how well you're doing on a puzzle on smaller ships than on larger ones. You know if you're the only bilger, and the bilge level goes down, that you did it. You know if you're the only carper, and the carp level goes down, that you fixed it. You know if you're the only sailer and the speed goes up, you've had a hand at it.

I suggest the poster start sailing on smaller ships where the end result is more visible.
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[Jul 29, 2005 2:13:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shivver

Re: Puzzle pirate duty puzzles: Damn boring, not at all fun, Reply to this Post

Demeana wrote: 
Sailing, bilging and carpentry are all booched. Having none of the fun of the crafting puzzles, balanced by none of the pay -- it?s a make-work task, no wonder many people escape out of their ?duty,? waiting around for the sword fighting heart of the game!

You may feel this way, but that doesn't mean that everyone does. The game was designed around the fact that many people like to play puzzles like Bejeweled and Dr. Mario for hours on end. Not everyone does, but for those people, there are the crafting puzzles and parlor games.

I'd also like to provide the counterpoint of my own attitude -- I prefer the duty puzzles because I like them, I'm working with my team, and, in general, I get a *lot* more pay than for the same amount of time doing crafting puzzles.

Of course, this doesn't mean your suggestions are bad. I'm just challenging the premise.

Demeana wrote: 

All the puzzles lack the interactivity of the multiplayer games, and the satisfaction of a job well done of the gunning puzzle.

I like the lack of interactivity of the multiplayer games. If they were interactive, they would be the same as the land-based games. I like the variety of experiences of YPP offers. The ship experience is not the same as the inn experience, and that only adds to the drawing power of the game. Some people thrive on multiplayer interaction, some prefer to puzzle alone, others like single puzzles as part of a group -- YPP has it all.

Demeana wrote: 

They lack feedback for the effect you?re having on the boat, they lack an end state for when your duty is finished, and the ships should have the fun multiplayer options that the inns do.

More feedback would be better. However, I see a definite chance for the introduction of a lot of stress and one-upmanship ("You've produced 3 tokens and I've only produced one! I suck!"). At the moment, this is all hidden, and the game is well-balanced to not require everyone on a station to be pulling Incredibles (3 Fine/Good sailors on a ship serve the battle navver just fine); I'd hate for the current atmosphere of tolerance to be upset.

Demeana wrote: 

Comments about puzzles being dull and/or not pretty.

I don't find these to be useful, only because this is a personal preference thing. Some people find the games and/or graphics to be wonderful.

Demeana wrote: 

Carpentry: Fun, but inert. Why am I filling holes when none exist? Give me holes to fill only when there?s damage.

A good point. The biggest problem here is that during normal sailing (no cannonballs hitting the hold), the ship is slowly getting damaged -- try sailing two leagues in a sloop without a carpenter and you'll see. It might be a good idea to show more obviously that the damage does exist.

Demeana wrote: 

Make the cannon-fire blow apart one of my almost-masterpieces. Make me curse a bad battle-nav?er. Show me how much water is pouring into the bilge ? make the bilgers curse me when I?m a bad carpenter.

Unfortunately, blowing apart the almost-masterpiece affects the performance of the puzzler, which isn't fair (a player's performance shouldn't be sabotaged by other game features). Bilgers can already see how much water is coming in; that's already there.

Demeana wrote: 

Comments throughout the post about having an end state.

Again, personal preference. I prefer not having an end state, and a lot of other people do, too. (And a lot of people would prefer an end state -- it goes both ways.) I actually dislike the reset of the board when the stars fill, because it interrupts my playing.

Demeana wrote: 

Get more people out onto the ships by giving them fun inn options, and pay them for duty, not just fighting.

Inn options have already been addressed by others. Paying them for duty -- well, you're already paid for duty. Your booty cut is not only based on your performance in the swordfight -- it's everything that you do on the ship. It's just not instant gratification (as in, here's 50 poe for your last league's puzzling). If you don't feel you're paid for doing a duty puzzle, try jobbing for a crew and sitting on a ship and not do a duty puzzle, and see how much you get paid (even if you make it through a battle's swordfight).
[Jul 29, 2005 2:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trevorius

I agree with the gist of the OP, that sails, carp & bilge don't give enough feedback. (I also understand that this is completely a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would like more feedback.)

I also think, for all the people who don't enjoy blockades, this is the reason why. It's just marathon puzzling. Pillaging is the same on a smaller scale.

Yes, the sparklies indicate you're doing well. But then what? Getting sparklies is a brief thrill, but when you've been sparkly for the last 10, 15 or 60 minutes, I sure don't feel that thrill anymore. At that point it's just repetitive.

I like some of the suggestions in the OP. I don't think the puzzles themselves should be changed, but some modifications might be nice. Here's a few ideas off the top of my head: (yes, I understand they probably wouldn't be worth the time it would take to code them, but they're just ideas)

Perhaps with sails, have a small personal indicator with a portion of it light blue, representing your share of the work and the rest red, showing everyone else's work. The red would go down as the ship's speed indicator went up. For example, on a sloop 1/3rd (because there are 3 sail stations) of your indicator would be light blue, and the rest red. The indicator fills up yellow as you puzzle, covering the blue and red as it goes, faster or slower (or possibly reversing itself) based on how sparkly your sails are. Once you've gotten your bar above that 1/3rd, you know you're contributing your fair share of the sailing work. When you get your meter above that 1/3rd, the yellow begins to cover the red and your work goes towards helping others. The red section will go down as people do their share of the work, until it disappears beneath the yellow in your meter, or until it disappears at the top of your blue 1/3rd, as other people cover for your lack with their excess. As the meter rises above the red zone, it should become harder and harder to raise, so that keeping it above the red shouldn't be too hard, but maxing it out would be very difficult. During battle, I think it would be fantastic to modify this so that when you fill your meter, you complete a move token. Token generation would become rather sporadic as players crank them out at different times, but as this would be a universal change that all battle-navvers would have to get used to, I don't think it would make things unfair. (I'd really like something added to sails, because to me it's very boring compared to the other puzzles, yet obviously too important to neglect.)

Carpentry I think is pretty good as-is. Perhaps a slight change so that once the damage meter is at zero, instead of filling holes you're "reinforcing the hull." Maybe replace the 4 holes with one big square with faded wood background. The object is to fill it, of course, with a piece flying off every so often. Finishing it adds a bit of 'armor' to the hull, so that the next cannonball or rock or whatever does slightly less damage as it has to blow through the armor before doing actual damage. Of course, the more armor you have the harder it is to add more, and adding more than another quarter worth of the damage meter should be nigh impossible.

Bilging, I dunno. I rather like it as it is. The water level definitely shows how well you're doing. I know people hate the 'bilge sweats,' but perhaps adding some drips from the top of the puzzle that indicates how much water is flowing in due to damage. When damage is at zero, there's one drip every 10 seconds or so. When damage is at max, have it practically raining. That way, at least, the bilgers have an idea of how well they have to do to get the water level to drop.

Anyway, just ideas. I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about what might make the puzzles more fun. Personally I think they're okay as they are, but I think making them more interactive and making it more obvious how much you're contributing to the whole would make them more fun.
Trevorius - Mostly retired, now with more inn-tart!
Cobalt Cerulean Ocean
Mostly lurking since 5/15/04
[Jul 29, 2005 3:15:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://raiders.tbobjohnson.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I had a response all typed up, and then realized I really needed to think about my answer. I don't know how exactly to say this, even now.

The original poster clearly has a different set of desires for puzzles -- i.e., that they not be ongoing. I don't have a solid argument for why the duty puzzles should be continuous, since you CAN actually let things go for a little while and still move forward on real ships without slowing down or sinking.

I think the feedback requests were good, though how to provide that feedback without resorting to explicit numbers or bandwidth-chomping razzle-dazzle is a tough question.

I think that the original poster also does not realize that the puzzles are meant to be different, and cater to different sets of desires -- that it's not the case that the Ringers somehow only recently realized that people like multiplayer puzzles.

So, I think everything the orignal post says is true, except the parts that say that the game is somehow lacking for not being that way.
[Jul 29, 2005 3:44:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Demeana

... And what to do to fix it Reply to this Post

To clarify, I find the crux of Puzzle Pirates, is fun, rewarding, social puzzling.

The duty puzzles lack all three. You're forced to do it interminably, the rewards are opaque or non-existant, and it feels about as social as playing solitaire.

Playing should not be dull, repetitive, isolated, and often pointless, especially if the intention is to get more pirates out on the sea.

I get plenty of pointless work outside of Y!PP.

Thanks for listening.
Shelleagh on Sage
[Jul 29, 2005 3:58:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Then I suspect that it's a good thing that YPP has different puzzles for different players.

Personally, I'm more of a duty-puzzler. I'm pretty bad at playing puzzle and card games against human players, and since I almost always lose, it's no fun for me. So off I go onto a ship where I contribute to the mission with everyone else.

Naturally, there are players you'll find on the docks or in the inns a lot more than on the open ocean.

This variation is part of what makes YPP appealing--you can be social if you want to be, or you can hang out on a navy ship and duty puzzle because you just don't want to be interacting with people for a while.

If all puzzles were made "social," I suspect I would lose interest in the game and head off to other pastures.

That said, I do like the idea of having some sort of indicator of when you "contribute" to the ship, whether it be a little light blue slice on the sail meter, or a momentarily flashing wedge on the carp or bilge meters...
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 29, 2005 4:08:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Probably the other ideal would be to make at least one duty puzzle cooperative . . . maybe let players alternate placing sailing pieces, to simulate the teamwork necessary.
[Jul 29, 2005 4:11:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

The duty puzzles, being some of the first puzzles put into the game/the ones the rest of the game was built around, are basically solitaire puzzles with a multi-player wrapper. At the time (two years ago!), that was novel in itself.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 29, 2005 4:19:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

cmdrzoom wrote: 
The duty puzzles, being some of the first puzzles put into the game/the ones the rest of the game was built around, are basically solitaire puzzles with a multi-player wrapper. At the time (two years ago!), that was novel in itself.

It could be three years by now, actually. I believe Sailing and Bilging were with the game at launch, which was (I made this up, but it's about right) in October 2002. The puzzles had to have been finished sometime before launch.
[Jul 29, 2005 4:31:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

homullus wrote: 
cmdrzoom wrote: 

It could be three years by now, actually. I believe Sailing and Bilging were with the game at launch, which was (I made this up, but it's about right) in October 2002. The puzzles had to have been finished sometime before launch.

October 03 was launch.

Notorious atteSmythe,
double-checking his join date

[Jul 29, 2005 4:36:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Demeana

Duty Vs. Crafting puzzles Reply to this Post

The solitaire with multi-player wrapper was and still is an excellent and elegant concept.

The puzzles and rewards of the solitaire aspect compare poorly to the crafting puzzles, for the reasons I've already discussed.

The connection between the forced solitaire game and the overall puzzle is weak, for the reasons also discussed.

And the option for much more strictly solitaire exists on the Navy, for those who wish.

Here's what one solution might look like:
{Your shift begins in 30 seconds}
(Sam says "ar, I can't drink with ye, matey, I'm on duty real soon now!)
{All hands on deck -- we're under attack!}
{Ye be whisked to the duty roster}
Ye chose: Carpentry
{Damage currently losing 50% of one move a turn!}
(Sam hits F3)
(Help needed in: Carpentry!)
{Demeana has joined carpentry duty}
{Alstaire has joined carpentry duty}

(Repairs complete!)
Sea Battle
{Ye be whisked back to off-duty mess hall}
(Sam says "Who wants to brawl")
{Yer shift begins in 4 leagues}
Shelleagh on Sage
[Jul 29, 2005 4:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

atteSmythe wrote: 

October 03 was launch.

Notorious atteSmythe,

Wait, wasn't the game in beta until December '03? Midnight launched in October, yes.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Jul 29, 2005 4:43:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

Poor, neglected duty nav, why does no one care about you?
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Jul 29, 2005 4:48:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

atteSmythe wrote: 
homullus wrote: 
cmdrzoom wrote: 

October 03 was launch.

Notorious atteSmythe,

Sorry, I meant alpha launch. Those puzzles have been in there that long.
[Jul 29, 2005 4:48:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

homullus wrote: 
Sorry, I meant alpha launch. Those puzzles have been in there that long.

Ah - I was under the impression that at least one puzzle (carpentry) wasn't around for Alpha launch. But aye, point taken.

Notorious atteSmythe,
retiring back to his rock, now

[Jul 29, 2005 4:55:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gorath

Oorlian wrote: 
Poor, neglected duty nav, why does no one care about you?

Because the duty nav puzzle has no effect in sea battle or in blockades.

What if the Navigation puzzle was playable in sea battles? The ship commander would be a separate duty, responsible for sea battle. While the navigator of the ship would be doing the duty puzzle. On a real sailing ship the commander barks out orders to the navigator on where to steer the ship and for the gunners to fire (this is represented by the movement tokens).

Outside sea battle the puzzles are the same. One person would be designated ship commander.

When you enter sea battle the ships commander would control the sea battle (and can still perform an additional puzzle if they choose to do so). However, now, duty navigation can also be performed in addition to carp, bilge & sails. It?s not necessary to have someone duty nav, but it would increase movement token generation.

Just think of blockades. You would not only want a great sea battle commander & good gunners, but you would also be looking for a great duty nav puzzler.
Gorath
[Jul 29, 2005 5:12:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

And what to do to fix it, I ask you? Reply to this Post

Demeana wrote: 
Playing should not be dull, repetitive, isolated, and often pointless, especially if the intention is to get more pirates out on the sea.

Someone didn't like Tetris!

While I agree with you to a large extent (hell, I haven't done a duty puzzle since practically Azure) I think what got Hom and possibly some others a bit muddled (including myself until just now) is that there's this, I don't know..."attitude" is the word that comes most readily to mind...running through your posts in this thread. I could be reading a little much into it, but it seems those broad, imperious statements could rub some people the wrong way.

I agree with Hom in that there should be more/any multiplayer cooperative puzzles. I may have even floated a few ideas here and in other places.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 29, 2005 5:12:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Re: Duty Vs. Crafting puzzles Reply to this Post

Demeana wrote: 
{Damage currently losing 50% of one move a turn!}

I could well be wrong, but I think this sort of thing is more information than the Ringers want to give us. They've always erred on the side of qualitative measures rather than hard, precise, min-maxable numbers.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 29, 2005 5:24:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

I am quite amused that this is coming up at the same time the beta testers who are still with the game are proudly celebrating two years with the PP community. Obviously, duty puzzling isn't for everyone. It also doesn't seem to be broken. *shrugs*
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Jul 29, 2005 5:27:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

And to be clear, I don't think anyone in this thread has a BAD attitude, just that Demeana's may not be congruent with the development of this game.
[Jul 29, 2005 5:28:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Demonyaj wrote: 
I am quite amused that this is coming up at the same time the beta testers who are still with the game are proudly celebrating two years with the PP community. Obviously, duty puzzling isn't for everyone. It also doesn't seem to be broken. *shrugs*

Yes, but a number of them (myself included) no longer duty-puzzle.

I do, sometimes, but I find it's difficult to pillage for more than a run at a time. There's only so much sailing you can do, and you sail over half the time you're on a ship...

Notorious atteSmythe,
who does enjoy that puzzle drop thing the greenies are so fond of

[Jul 29, 2005 5:41:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Anotehr case of "What you're looking for is a game that isn't this one."
[Jul 29, 2005 5:41:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 113   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates