• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 142
Posts: 142   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19625 times and has 141 replies Next Thread
Crystal

[CONTEST] A Slice of Pirate Life | Results on Page 4 Reply to this Post

Results on page 4!

What: a cross-sectional art contest
When: deadline 11:59pm August 21st 2005
Win: an octopus (and other prizes)

A Puzzle Pirates art contest from a different perspective - we want you to see through the normal puzzle pirates objects.

We?re after your visions of the cross-sections through Y!PP game objects, places, activities or people. Take a slice through something game-related, and draw it for us. What you draw must be based on the game, but you can expand, extrapolate, invent or alter, as you need. (e.g. you can base your picture on a cross-section through a grand-frigate, but you don?t have to base the whole picture on the exact in-game dimensions or layout of the frigate; you can base your picture on a game shipyard, but you can change the fittings and rooms around to suit your imagination.)

Nemo will be leading the final judging, and the judging will be based on the ideas first, and execution second. So a very good idea from a not-so-good artist will beat a not-so-good idea from a very good artist. This is your chance to beat them! However, keep in mind that between two very good ideas, the better presentation will win, so do try to be neat and clear. If we can't understand your image, we won't know that the idea is better.

Notes:
You should provide a thumbnail of your entry on the forum in the entry thread, and a link to the full image hosted on an external site.
Maximum size of full entries: 1280 x 1024
Guidelines size of thumbnail: 150 x 120 approx

Following recent practice, we won?t attempt to limit entries to one per person because of the difficulties of enforcing the rule, but keep the quality high rather than the quantity.

You may use in-game art for your entry, and indeed the scene editor may be a good source for you to use as starting or background images. You may also use graphic or photographic material from other sources, if you wish. However, you should state all sources in the post along with the link to your entry. You should cite websites from which you got images, and which sources in-game art were from. Bear in mind that we?re after cross-sections, so don?t let nice art or pictures from elsewhere get in the way of the cross-sectional style.

If you are creating your picture on the computer, there are no restrictions on the software you choose to use, as long as you can provide a readily-viewable image format as your entry (e.g. png, jpg).

No animation / flash, please.

If you are creating your picture by hand, you will need to submit a scanned or digitally photographed image of your picture. The originals should be 2D pictures, not models or objects. If you?re using real-life media, pencils, pens, crayons, pastels, oils, etc, all fine, but stick to 2D ? e.g. not collage materials.

You may add words (labels, notes or explanations) if you wish, and all words will be considered part of the entry, so use them but don?t spoil your picture with them.

If your entry includes cross-sections of named (or identifiable) pirates, crews or flags, please ask their permission first.

The grand prize familiar can be accepted on any ocean.

Any further questions, please ask, and I?ll try to keep this post updated.

Links to some cross-sectional pictures
We?re not suggesting that these are exemplars, just examples. Cross-sectional pictures vary in technique, and these examples range from completely flat slices through something to ?whole? pictures with a cut-away section.

3D cross-section of space craft
Cross-section of dam
Time-series construction
Partial cut-away galleon
A slice of tree!
Cross-section of bionic ear
Geological cross-section
House cross-section
3D cross-section of guitar
Eye
3D skin section
----------------------------------------
Crystalclaws of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Crystal at Aug 26, 2005 2:36:20 PM]
[Jul 27, 2005 7:26:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Re: [CONTEST] A Slice of Pirate Life | Results on Page 4 Reply to this Post

Hot Diggity.

Great idea for a contest!
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Jul 27, 2005 7:33:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Agreed! What a cool idea! And maybe for once I'll have a chance at winning something! :-)
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 27, 2005 8:16:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Awsome!, Do the things we do have to be real, for example if I do a a grand frigate could I put that the paint make you think better or somthing

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Jul 27, 2005 9:53:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

zim_was_here wrote: 
Awsome!, Do the things we do have to be real, for example if I do a a grand frigate could I put that the paint make you think better or somthing

I've been trying to parse this for at least four minutes now. I think this answer will make sense:

Yes, you can do that, but I doubt it'll have much effect unless it's exceptionally clever. I think you'd want to avoid text labels in general given this is a visual contest...but that's just my speculation.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 27, 2005 10:20:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Sorry I am not clear somtimes.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Jul 27, 2005 10:41:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

YARG! an ART CONTEST.......

/me grabs his pen, and pad.......

*Salmon is not doing any work today mister boss man....

YARGLE!

/me goes to sit in the corner, with the pointy hat :(
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Jul 27, 2005 3:05:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

zim_was_here wrote: 

You are free to invent objects, and you are free to invent characteristics of any object you use, if you think it adds to the overall entry. You are welcome to use text as notes, labels or explanation of your ideas. As it says above, any text will be considered part of your entry, so ensure that it adds value.
[Jul 27, 2005 3:55:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Crystal wrote: 
You are free to invent objects, and you are free to invent characteristics of any object you use, if you think it adds to the overall entry.

/me runs to the Spoof Release notes for ideas.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zyborg22

Re: [CONTEST] A Slice of Pirate Life | Win a Familiar | Aug Reply to this Post

Crystal wrote: 
You should provide a thumbnail of your entry on the forum in the entry thread, and a link to the full image hosted on an external site.

Can both the thumbnail and the full picture be hosted on the same website (Imageshack, for example)?
Zyborg - Avatar done by Kingpriam.
Senior Officer of the crew The Legends
Member of the flag Crimson Tide
[Jul 29, 2005 11:02:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Zyborg22    Zyborg200 [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

Re: [CONTEST] A Slice of Pirate Life | Win a Familiar | Aug Reply to this Post

Zyborg22 wrote: 
Can both the thumbnail and the full picture be hosted on the same website (Imageshack, for example)?

Yes, absolutely. As long as we can see the thumbnail as an image in your post, it can be linked from the same site as the main image link.
[Jul 29, 2005 5:35:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Is the prize acceptable on any ocean?

I love that I can use already made objects put together for a masterpiece! [size=7]Considering thats about as artistic I get!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jul 30, 2005 1:48:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

Synful wrote: 
Is the prize acceptable on any ocean?

Yes, the familiar can be accepted on any ocean. That nugget of information was in my draft, and for some reason is missing from the final post. No idea where the line went! I've added the information back into the top post - thanks for pointing it out!
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Ooh really? That would be awesome to be the second person on Viridian or the first on Cobalt to have a familiar. I'd better get cracking!
Hohumdiddly

barrelmonkey wrote: 
Ooh really? That would be awesome to be the second person on Viridian or the first on Cobalt to have a familiar. I'd better get cracking!

I've seen one on cobalt already. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hohum
Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
[Jul 30, 2005 5:27:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

That would be Shanty McRaid-io, won through the "Shanties of the Three Seas" contest.

For this, on the final entries, are we supposed to 1) have a description of what it is, and 2) a 'non-cutaway' view?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Jul 31, 2005 12:05:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

Gloraelin wrote: 
That would be Shanty McRaid-io, won through the "Shanties of the Three Seas" contest.

For this, on the final entries, are we supposed to 1) have a description of what it is, and 2) a 'non-cutaway' view?

1) You can give it a title, which should be enough to explain what it is. I don't particularly want supporting text, though, unless it's part of the entry itself.
2) No need, thank you.
[Jul 31, 2005 1:18:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enders_bean

Can we have like, two different cross sections from different angles?
Cheers to those who are tired to being OK at everything, and exceptional at nothing.
[Jul 31, 2005 7:02:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

Enders_bean wrote: 
Can we have like, two different cross sections from different angles?

The same subject from different angles? Yes, sure.
[Jul 31, 2005 7:17:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

I was asked a question by PM, and while I won't repeat the specific question as it involves a particular idea, I thought it worth sharing the generic response with all entrants.

The question was basically about how inventive entries could be about the insides of things. I've said that you can invent and extrapolate, and I stick to that. As far as any outside bits are concerned, the subjects of your entries should probably be based on their in-game versions, but the cross-sections can be as sensible or as abstract as you wish.
simplyoooo

sounds great! but ... Reply to this Post

This competiton sounds great .. I'd really love to have a go, but I have the artistic ability of dried up seaweed!

*sigh* just have to find another way to get me an octo.
[Jul 31, 2005 10:10:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Re: sounds great! but ... Reply to this Post

simplyoooo wrote: 
This competiton sounds great .. I'd really love to have a go, but I have the artistic ability of dried up seaweed!

*sigh* just have to find another way to get me an octo.

Crystal wrote: 
Nemo will be leading the final judging, and the judging will be based on the ideas first, and execution second. So a very good idea from a not-so-good artist will beat a not-so-good idea from a very good artist. This is your chance to beat them!

Shark
Mascot of Ransack Marauders
[Jul 31, 2005 10:13:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Don't ever count yourself out. I'm sucky at drawing, but I sure do love screwing and nailing things...

/em realizes while typing how dreadful that sounds...

But seriously. In similar contests, we've had entries made from Legos, some gorgeous collages of all stripes, photos of costumes, adorable cross-sectional cakes, entries knit by three people in two countries (thank you, thank you), all sorts of stuff. There's really no limit to what kind of medium you use or how you do it.

I'll give you a start: think about something in the game, then think about something in RL that looks like that. Broccoli looks like trees. Pretzels can hold up shacks. Put pennies in a chest. Driftwood looks like dead donkeys.

Or, for that matter, go the other way. Do a lovely scrimshaw carving on the side of a massive zucchini. It doesn't have to make total sense if your idea is fun and understandable; in fact, sometimes it's more interesting that way.

(Yes, I am obsessed with food at the moment because I'm trying to come up with ideas for a recipe contest. So sue me.)

Even if you just make a dollhouse out of a box, we'd still love to see it!
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 31, 2005 11:39:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

The Dreamy Thusnelda wrote: 
Don't ever count yourself out.

Aye indeed.

The Luscious Thusnelda wrote: 
Driftwood looks like dead donkeys.

*snorts*

I agree totally with the spirit of this post - be creative and don't assume that you can't do it. In all fairness, though, I should point to the bit in the notes that says that the entries should be 2D pictures, not models or objects. But I'll say it quickly and quietly, in the hopes that Thusnelda misses it, gets inspired and sends in a detailed model of Gaea fashioned from food ingredients on a pizza base. It wouldn't win, but it would amuse me. :)
[Jul 31, 2005 11:50:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cronogenesis

great comp. Its got ideas buzzing around my head. Time to do my idea, only to find its been posted 100 times before me!

This may sound n00bish but whats a familiar? Is it the animals on yer shoulder?

Also do the entries have to be haddrawn? Or can they be computer edited?
Cronogenesis
Captain of Pole Star
King of Star of Arcady
That guy in lime...

Visit Crapogenesis Bizzare Avatars!
[Aug 1, 2005 1:20:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/thepolestar [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

cronogenesis wrote: 
great comp. Its got ideas buzzing around my head. Time to do my idea, only to find its been posted 100 times before me!

This may sound n00bish but whats a familiar? Is it the animals on yer shoulder?

Aye, there are three types of familiar - octopus, monkey and parrot. This contest is for an octopus.

cronogenesis wrote: 
Also do the entries have to be haddrawn? Or can they be computer edited?

Either or both. The first post explains that you can do your entry by hand or by computer.
[Aug 1, 2005 2:21:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Crystal wrote: 
I'll say it quickly and quietly, in the hopes that Thusnelda misses it, gets inspired and sends in a detailed model of Gaea fashioned from food ingredients on a pizza base. It wouldn't win, but it would amuse me. :)

You mean that the eighty-nine feet of knitting that I had planned on wadding up and turning into a model of Cleaver's grey matter won't count? See if I enter your stinking contest, then! Hmph!

Okay, okay... I had better get cracking, then :(
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Aug 1, 2005 8:37:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mmgrcool

um the size is in pixels right?
And also i have a question do sworfgighting guys and a hat qualify as an entry?
the activity is the pic of the swordfighting guys and the object is da hat is that ok?
Also how do i do thumbnails?
Hypnos wrote: 
Dude. I don't care if she's cute. Girls have cooties.

[Aug 2, 2005 3:03:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.greensouls.com [Link]  Go to top 
mmgrcool

oopsie ill fix my drawings i should have read more carefully :p. Althouh i still need the thumbnail thing
Hypnos wrote: 
Dude. I don't care if she's cute. Girls have cooties.

[Aug 2, 2005 3:16:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.greensouls.com [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Pixels, yes.

All entries should have cutaway views as shown by various samples in the first post of this thread. What you posted so far is not quite, I believe, what was in mind for the contest--take those pictures, and do cutaways for them, and you'll be fine.

To do a thumbnail, just resize your image (after you save it!) to a smaller size (about 150x150 pixels) and save that as a second image. Post the small one to the entry thread, with a link to the large one so people can click on it if they want to see the full sized image.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Aug 2, 2005 3:18:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 142   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates