• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 555 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
DarstTLon

Locking the ship once "Engaged" Reply to this Post

Ahoy Ringers,

Yesterday was the darkest of days - I got to meet the black ship face to face. The worst thing about it is that I did not go out trying to - in fact, I am always careful not to... but due to the following I saw death staring me in the eye...

I was quickly approaching home when I saw one last green brigand on the horizon and lady luck tapped on the shoulder, "Roll the dice again, Darst", she said. I clicked the engage button and then it happened... me computer froze. The reason it froze is that two of me more seasoned swords in the crew jumped on board... the loading was too much for me computer and she froze. Now while it was frozen, the server recalculated that the opposition was blue and the battle nav began...

Ahhh, I thought, me computer is back.... WHAT ?!?!?! ! THE BLACK SHIP !!!!! NNNnnnnoooooo !!!!!

Nemo, Cleaver, Peg.... please.... can ye change the code so that once the engage button is hit, the ship is locked fer other crew to come on board. Understandable that crew can leave (like they can in the sea battle - cowards !!) but joining crew can prove some problems.
----------------------------------------
May yer cup o' Rum ne'er be empty,

Cheers,

[size=18]Darst T'Lon

Darst, Snr Officer and First Mate of the Falcons o' the Seas
[Sep 1, 2003 6:29:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Re: Locking the ship once "Engaged" Reply to this Post

Clicking the engage button will prevent people from coming on board, but not until the green circles appear. So there's a small window where people can get on right between when you hit the engage button and the circles appear.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Sep 1, 2003 11:44:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Garthor wrote: 
Clicking the engage button will prevent people from coming on board, but not until the green circles appear. So there's a small window where people can get on right between when you hit the engage button and the circles appear.

Is it true that such a window is only due to lag or a busy server? I believe that when you hit the button, you want to tell the server that you'd like to engage. When you see green circles, the server's told you that you have engaged.
[Sep 2, 2003 3:01:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Is it true that such a window is only due to lag or a busy server? I believe that when you hit the button, you want to tell the server that you'd like to engage. When you see green circles, the server's told you that you have engaged.

I believe this is the case - what happened to the original poster is that the computer got lagged BEFORE the engage packet was sent. This was because two people came aboard. Since the packet was sent (or at least recognized by the server) after the two people were present, the might rating had changed.

Unfortunately, the only ways around this are probably open to exploitation - people with crewmembers waiting to get aboard once the ship is engaged. Another reason to have yer crew ask for permission before boarding a ship!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 2, 2003 3:48:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates