• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 42739 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Hangmann

Ship HO! Man the guns! A guide to Sea Battle Reply to this Post

This is intended to be a guide to sea battle, as the Puzzle Tips thread points out there is not one out there yet. I doubt I'll be the most enlightened member contributing but I can outline some basics.

The first step to sea battle to catch a ship ye can beat. With the right crew some Yellow's may not be out of reach. For the sake of yer ship and yer sanity, lay off the blue ships. Attacking blue ships is what brings out El Pollo Diablo, or the black ship as it?s sometimes called. They will rip your ship a new one and hand ye a loss. Your booty is worth much more then you will add by attacking a blue ship, so just don?t do it. Know the abilities of your crew before engaging in anything dangerous tho, as a good share of your current and future booty is on the line every time ye sea battle. To catch a ship it helps to be moving at full speed. If they are coming up behind you, ye can turn about, target them, and turn about again, and wait for them to overcome you. If they are coming up on you at full speed, its very important you get the "engage" click in before they are upon you and sailing past. If ye get the engage button early enough and turn about, they will overtake you and battle will commence. If they pass you, and ye turn about, give up. Unless you are hot on their tails and they stop at a league point, they're going to outrun you. Check the "radar" (thank you Amberyl, I didn't even know this until today. http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=2073 ) on the navigation table often for potential targets, and current whereabouts of potential targets. Once ye are engaged, move to step two.

Step two of sea battle is the bloated lady tango. Also known as two ships trying to collide. During this step your sailors produce movement tokens (controlled by the selector beneath the tokens) which you use to move your boat. Also during this step the opponent ship has a chance to hit quite a few rocks, and maybe even get cannoned a few times as well. I will try to post screen shots of good positions to cannon from, that result in a 75% probability of hitting them (most likely a lot higher, I do not know the exact forces behind a brigands movement of their ship). I say 75% because the only time you will miss is if they don't move. Seeing as they have 3 other options besides "don't move", that?s 75%.

It should go without saying, but this is a guide so I'll say, don't hit any rocks and try not to get cannonballed. If you stop yer boat facing a rock, ye'r screwed. If you turn into a rock, y'er screwed twice. If the enemy is smart (I.E. PP's) and near you when you hit the rock, y'er most likely cannoned on top of the rock damage.

There are two tiles on the sea battle board that move your boat when ye sail over them. The wind lanes and the whirlpools. The wind lanes are a free straight (in the direction of the wind) and the whirlpools are a free turn. Every whirlpool rotates clockwise. If you sat on a whirlpool without moving you would be back to where you started. When you can use these free moves to accelerate your pursuit or escape, that?s when ye are a master sailor. The rotation that happens on the whirlpools is kind of odd, because it turns you, and thus your boat, even if you were not facing the right way for a turn.

I've found that sitting at the end of a wind lane is a good spot for brigands to intercept ye. You can even get a few pop shots on the cannons if they approach from the side. If you don't feel like chasing around the brigands, ye can employ this tactic to see if they come to you.

In case any one is interested in fleeing, the defender can disengage after 10 turns. The attacker can disengage whenever they want. Once the ships collide, proceed to step three.

Step three is the bearded man melee, also called the swordfight. After everyone who is going to drop drops (they get eliminated without fighting) the fight begins. The key to winning a sea battle fight is targeting. I'm gunna say that again. The key to winning a sea battle fight is targeting. To target someone on the opposite team ye click their picture. You are currently targeting the opponent who's display screen is outlined in white. The number of dots next to an opponents display screen is how many people are fighting them. When fighting NPP's its important that you never team up more than three on one. I'm gunna say that again. When fighting NPP's its important that you never team up more than three on one. When an NPP gets ganged up upon more than 3 on 1, they cheat. It is a fact. Their attacks will suddenly cause much devastation, and come quite quickly. It's so important I'm even going to say it again. Do NOT target more than three on one during sea battles. Should ye find yerself in the unfortunate situation where you are part of a 4 on 1, try to avoid moving to the random pair or solo targeting. Several people who dislike the 4 on 1 may be moving at the same time, and moving the 4 on 1 from one target to another, is not helpful. Move to a blank NPP, wait for the targeting update, and then regroup. A large bright red dot is a 5 on 1. This should also never happen, but incase you are confused, that?s 5, not 1, so retarget.

So by now you have your targets set up in sets of 3 and the random 2's who are left out (due to crew's not always having numbers divisible by 3). Now ye procede to attack wtih abandon. The purpose of most sea battles is booty, and the most booty comes from brigands, so we will be discussing NPP fighting technique. It really doesn't matter THAT much what sword ye use for fighting an NPP. If you constantly send them all 1 color, sure they'll send it back, but beyond that all swords are the same. Here's why: NPP's do not fight like you and I fight. They rearrange their screens constantly. They stack and break blocks based on their skill rating, not based on where they decided to make them fall. Due to this, large attacks are VERY successful against NPP's. They don't get 2 columns completely filled by one huge sword, they count the blocks (I'm not sure if this includes overlap off the top, but I assume it does due to the shape of the NPP's board at any given time. They have those pillars on both sides, where swords like to hit, so the sword wouldn?t get very far). It's quite simple to eliminate ANY NPP with a decently sized triple. If ye land a bingo, its all over. Note, this is NOT how you fight other players, so don't get in the habit if its to hard for you to break when fighting other players. If it takes you 45 more seconds to beat the NPP's its worth it to keep yer swordfight skills up to scratch. After ye eliminate a target, retarget. This is most important. I can't tell you how many sea battles I've seen go the way of the bootch because after killing one NPP a group of like 5 on 1 formed and that NPP destroyed their entire screen killing 2 players or so. It should not be hard to pick a new target, and everyone who was killing Bright Betty starts killing Stinky Pete, for example. If ye see an elimination, check if you are targeting poorly, and adjust.

All this targeting discussion and no hints on what to do if YOU are being targeted. Should this unfortunate even occur, stall. The stall is a maneuver in which ye set yerself up to be attacked. If the NPP's group more than 2 on 1 person for a while, that person should stall. The premise of stalling is that you assume you are going to get eliminated. If you don't touch the spacebar the pieces fall at an excruciatingly slow pace. During this time those targeting you are sending over attacks. These attacks queue up on you, falling 1 attack at a time. By the time ye do get eliminated, if at all (I.E. you stall past the end of the fight), there is a LARGE queue of attacks that you haven't seen, and that no one ever will. Ye take one for the team. To stall, you do not press the spacebar. Ever. The more time they have to attack you, the better. It also helps to try and keep colors connected, but if you are being attacked by random foil colors it can be pretty hard. Every breaker you see should go to clearing the largest amount of your screen it can as well. This allows you to stay alive longer, thus stall longer, and thus take more attacks for the team. Stalling is good. Battles can be won that would be lost, due to stalling.

Before ya know it, yer crew of 5 can take down ships of 12 (Yes, I've done it, we were in The Zone). Ye'll be talking about the battle for many tides to come.

So here's the basic sea battle thread. If anyone has anything to add, please do. Like I said, I'll try to post screens of good cannon shot positions. Hope it helps!
----------------------------------------
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Aug 29, 2003 3:57:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

Re: Ship HO! Man the guns! A guide to Sea Battle Reply to this Post

Great job, Whistler. Well done.
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
Syzerian

nice! :)
good job im sure heeps of fellow pirates will find this helpfull
arrr look out for the black ship on ur pillaging tho shes a toughy
el pollo diablo the black devil
Angel of Thruth and Honor
~Syzerian Aralos~
[Aug 29, 2003 6:59:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sushi

www.geocities.com/jaquesparrow Has some great pics of the targetting aspects (Thanks to Jaque Sparrow of the Orange Revolution)
[Aug 29, 2003 7:50:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Very cool, Whistler. I'll add this to the Puzzle Tips thread.

As far as the movement tokens go, I generally try to keep at least 3 of
each lying around. To clarify what was said, the little selecter under each of the 3 tokens determines which token gets generated at that time. I find it helpful to try planning out moves several steps in advance, so I have a good idea which tokens I'll be needing in the next turn or so. I can then concentrate the selector on the token(s) that will be involved. Otherwise, I tend to do a "round-robin" kind of thing, where each token gets a chance to build up another 2 or 3 before I move to the next one.

Also note: The tokens are turned-based. You do not have to move in consecutive turns, or even at all, if ye wish. This also implies that you don't have to fill up your movement bar. I rarely do that, unless I'm pulling off a complex move or have to move large distances. Instead, I'll usually just use two or maybe three tokens to get myself in postition for something better next turn. (Question: how do cannons factor into ths? Do they fire before or after movement?) On top of this, you can intentionally let the other boat do a movement or two before you do.

There's a reason for this. Against player boats, 9 times out of 10 the boats will converge on their own accord, unless the defender is trying to avoid battle. So maneuvering against a player is relatively straightforward, and it's easier if you don't try anything complex. Brigands, however, are different. Okay, that's the wrong word. They're actually beyond idiotic when it comes to sailing. (I don't know if this is intentional, or if it's just that the devs haven't had a chance to smarten them up yet.) They get stuck in whirlpools - multiple times. They run into rocks - multiple times. It's not unusual for them, sitting two squares away, to go around you and miss completely. Once every now and then, they'll surprise you by managing to go around obstacles and head towards you, but generally they show no smarts whatsoever. (Note: ye ol' Black Ship is a notable exception. It comes right after you, first firing all of its cannons for several full turns, and then heading straight to where you are. Not only can ye not defeat the ship, not only can ye not defeat the Skellies onboard in melee, but ye have no chance of outrunning it either.)

The best strategy that I've found against brigands, then, is to be patient and wait them out. Move a couple of squares at a time. Put the ship in a position to be run into by them. Rest the ship every now and then to see what, exactly, they're doing next. Hang around a rockpile, if possible, because chances are the brigands will run into it a couple of times before eventually stumbling onto you.

Also, as Whistler has pointed out, if ye find yerself next to a rock, facing it, yer screwed. There is no "reverse" token. Either content yourself to sit there doing nothing, or spend one "turn" token. You'll hit the rocks, but it'll only happen once, and then you'll be facing away from then again. Hitting the small rocks causes minor damage - enough for a few black (indestructible) boxes at the bottom of yer swordfighting screen. Hitting the big rocks does more damage. Hitting them multiple times is, well, not recommended.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Edit 1 times, last edit by joedigriz at Aug 29, 2003 11:28:28 PM]
[Aug 29, 2003 11:28:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
TwoBlade

joedigriz wrote: 
Question: how do cannons factor into ths? Do they fire before or after movement

Ccannons fire AFTER the move it is attached to is made. Also, I'm fairly sure that movement by wind or whirlpools also happens before the shot.

So, token movement first, wind and whirlpools second, and cannon shots last.
[Aug 30, 2003 12:31:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Ah, thank ye. That'll help once I actually start using them more. (Assuming they've been loaded, I generally won't bother unless I'm going after a larger ship, or least one that's yellow.)
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Aug 30, 2003 4:24:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Legerdemain

A quick note: One common misconception people seem to have is that ganging up on an NPC will make them cheat and do massive attacks. This rumor was debunked by Cleaver a while back (I'll try to dig up the post eventually), and the real truth is that all the NPPs do when there are more than 3 players on them is slow down, the same way a player would.

Personally, though, I have a theory that the massive attacks are a result of having the 3+ people constantly feeding the NPP sprinkles and small attacks, in effect giving the ammunition they need to create those fake triples and bingoes or whatever it is they're sending at us.
[Aug 30, 2003 5:03:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Really? Untill I see the text with me own eyes I'm gunna have to belive the popular ficton. It seems very real to me, and they don't take any time to GET attacks, they usually dump reguardless pretty quick.

A NPP with a rank of "Able" in swordfighting should simply not be making bingo moves, so when you target them with 4 and they start sending huge swords, and lots of them, it seems to me that something is up.
~Thorek
[Aug 30, 2003 10:54:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legerdemain

Aye, but they do that whether ye have 3+ on them or not. ;-)

I'll keep looking for the quote, but I haven't had any luck so far. Wish I would've saved it.
[Aug 30, 2003 11:57:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legerdemain

Found it, or at least one discussing the issue:

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1661&highlight=cheating

Read Nemo's post...this is from as recently as Aug. 19th, reproduced below for convenience, and because it has some other stuff in there that is worth looking at again. I've highlighted the relevant bits.

Nemo wrote: 

As for Swordfighting AIs cheating, they have the same sort of restrictions players do, but do "play" the puzzle differently (as garf said in another post, "statistically"). I think more often the "cheating" is just a misunderstanding of the situation (occasionally exacerbated by the targetting dots moving too slowly).

* Attacks queue against you and enemies.
This means that if three of you are sending repeated, small breaks to an opponent, you will build up a long time of nearly zero board growth. When you finally make your giant combo, it will take longer to register if you've been pelting them with spitballs.
It also means that numerous attacks could still be lined up on you well after all opponents have changed targets. The changes to the dot motion should help make this clearer.

* NPP AIs fight more slowly the more players are targetting them. This makes the above time-spread increase even more dramatically and can make it seem as though the opponent is invincible. It is not. A player can dot the same thing.
* Sea Battle ranking is relative to your and their current performance.
When Gravybeard's enemies switched from green to orange, that did not mean they were lying or shielding their skill. After the battle, both mights recalculated based on the fact that his crew lost and the ranks changed accordingly.
This also means that if you target cyans for a long time before deciding to upgrade to greens, you are ugrading more than you think you are. Beating all those cyans does (slightly) increase your might score. Each cyan you beat in succession is actually a little bit harder, and when you decide to go for a green later on, it is actually a ship that would have appeared yellow, or even orange to you earlier in the voyage.

-Nemo

[Aug 30, 2003 12:06:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

:)

I should be eventually putting up videos and more detailed tutorials on different aspects of the game.

:)

Good to know people liked it heheh.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Sep 5, 2003 2:58:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
squig

I've had a thought about sea battles, but I've yet to test it, so I'm wondering what others have to say. Would you recomend that the player who is being teamed up on target away from the group? It would seem to me that it's better having the stalling player solo a nobody then to have him part of a 3 on 1. First, he's unlikely to be doing anything as impressive as the people who have a good set-up. Second, he'll be sending over plenty of small attacks, like 2 or three sprinkles, just because he's desperate to make room, which will clutter tha attack queue. So what do pepole think about anyone who gets ganged up on immediately targeting solo, leaving the killing to their less harassed mateys?
[Sep 5, 2003 4:08:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

squig wrote: 
I've had a thought about sea battles, but I've yet to test it, so I'm wondering what others have to say. Would you recomend that the player who is being teamed up on target away from the group? It would seem to me that it's better having the stalling player solo a nobody then to have him part of a 3 on 1. First, he's unlikely to be doing anything as impressive as the people who have a good set-up. Second, he'll be sending over plenty of small attacks, like 2 or three sprinkles, just because he's desperate to make room, which will clutter tha attack queue. So what do pepole think about anyone who gets ganged up on immediately targeting solo, leaving the killing to their less harassed mateys?

Well I'm going to try it right now, I'll let you know.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 5, 2003 10:46:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Load the guns - Fire in the Hole! Reply to this Post

Here's that cannonering lesson I promised. There's 2 more to come, but here's lesson A.

The Basic Cannon Shot:
The Basic Cannon Shot is done from 2 squares apart in either direction and the boats facing a parallel direction, separated by 1 row like this:

Ye then do not move, and shoot on the 1's tile. The premise is they will move, and whichever tile they select puts them within range of yer guns. This has a 3 in 4 chance of hitting as the only thing they can do to dodge is to not move. After the cannon shot ye can go about doing whatever to get out of their way if ye want to shoot them some more, or to collide after the shot and get to the sword fighting.

Advanced users of the Basic Cannon Shot will recognize when a move tile would place them in the position of the basic cannon shot. For these ye put the move tile, then shoot. If they moved, they be hit. For example:

If I turn left I have set up Basic Cannon Shot A. If they have moved, they will be hit.

Here's another example:

For this one I have to turn right.

Ye can also use sloppy set ups of the Basic Cannon Shot. These occur when ye are not the recommended number of spaces away before firing. They are called sloppy because there is a chance the ship will collide with you and you will therefore not get the shot off. Sloppy Cannon Shot has a 2 in 4 chance of hitting since dodge maneuvers are don't move and collide with yer ship. It still only has a 1 in 4 chance of wasting the cannonball however since if ye collide the gun will remain loaded. Here are examples of the Sloppy Cannon Shot:

In this shot the brigand collides with us if they go straight.

More to come as I get the screenshots - The Rock Cannon Shot and the Edge Cannon Shot. Both with 100% chance of punching holes in their hull!
~Thorek
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

Another tip fer the Sea Battle is knowing and mastering the whirlpools and wind tokens. And being the helpful mate that I am I will let all ye who look in this post the tip...

Wind tokens: Pretty obvious. Ye move onto the wind tile and it pushes yer ship, in the direction it is currently facing, one space forward (by forward I mean the direction the wind tile is facing, again fairly obvious to see)

Whirlpool squares: These are not so obvious. As was mentioned before, when ye move into one of the whirlpool squares it moves yer ship in what seems like a random movement at first glance. But alas no...

When ye move onto a whirpool square it moves the entire ship 90 degrees clockwise (exactly like a right turn). Now heres the kicker...As yer ship does the right turn, it also rotates the ship itself 90 degrees clockwise on the spot. Now I don't know if ye can picture that in yer mind but I'll try my best with a text example without words...mostly because I be too lazy to do screen shots

Ship Start:the direction of the arrow is the front of yer ship

V
@@
@@

Move Forward One Space:

V@
@@

Final Position:

@@
@
<

It will continue in this pattern until the fourth turn is up. Now knowing this can help ye a lot if ye trigger finger be a bit happy. Knowing which way ye are going to turn and which way ye will be facing after will help immenslely. Oh yeah and as a final point I think it was mentioned before but I will say it again the order of turns for each of the 4 turns is:

Yer movement (if any), wind/whirlpool movement/rotation, cannon fire.

I hope this was helpful fer all ye.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Sep 10, 2003 7:18:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tabby

I would like to add to the info about the battle a little for those who are new to navigation..The battle area has edges to it...if ye are tryin to make a move and are on the edge then ye wont get too far...ye will find yourself bein pushed back...I found this out quite by accident when i was doing my moves around a rock that was towards the edge...I know ye experienced navigators will be shakin yer heads and sayin that this is common knowledge but it isnt...If it HAD been then I wouldnt have eaten a big rock several times with the hull of the ship (sry capn..lol)

I know it sounds simplistic but newbies need to know so that they can avoid the mistake I and others like me have done in the past

Gayle
(and yes I AM blonde lol)
[Sep 10, 2003 11:03:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
squig

On the point of the edges pushing you back, this can be used to your advantage, especially against brigands. If you are facing the edge, and your opponent is within 3 spaces of you also facing the edge, you have a guaranteed cannon hit. Any token they place will move them forward, then they'll be pushed back into your line of fire, and even if they don't move you've still got them. If they're 4 squares away you're still going to hit on anything but a turn away from you. Not a 100% chance to hit, but close enough for me to take the shot.
[Sep 11, 2003 3:27:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Aye Squig. This is what is known as the Edge Cannon Shot. I'll be having screen shots and explinatons coming up about that one as soon as I get them. The danger with the ECS is there's a 100% chance they can hit YOU as well, not recommended for the larger brigands, who use cannons. For them, stick with the Short Rock Cannon Shot, where ye fire over the small rocks at the brigands dumb enough to hit the rocks.
~Thorek
[Sep 11, 2003 3:32:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Num1ace

I've got some intresting tips for naving in sea battle.

Brigands are complete geniuses when it comes to sea battles, they can always find those rocks to crash in to. Note the tiles imidately around the rocks, when crashing a brigand into the rocks stay imidately outside of those tiles. I can't prove this but it seems that if you move your ship into those tiles it hides the rocks so the brigands can't find them. In other words they make more inteligent moves.

I've had jobbers walk out on me because I'm such a bad navegator. I will turn right at the edge of the map so my ship bounces of the rocks and then turn left and go straight repaetedly to keep from getting back on to the map. Those brigands are even smart enough to follow me and will usualy catch me out there bouncing of the rocks any were from a couple times to well when ever I decide they have enough damage. I may have to align my ship back and forth from the left to right side of the rock to keep the brigand on the rocks, it does require you to use 4 tokens each turn so this is not always easy to pull off.

The brigands will ussualy follow you around the rock so if you don't have quite so many turns and the brigand seem to be running dry on turns as well you can bounce your ship off the rock in the same fashion but instead of turrning away from the map go straight or you can turn away and let it pull you back to the map what ever you have avalible to use to get you there. If the brigand is pretty dry on turns he will bounce of the rocks a few times. If the brigand is going to follow you, you want to make sure he will be on the tile you are on just before you go around the ouside of the map.

Another thing you can do is put the brigand at the edge of the map with a rock between you, if you have been making moves straight to the edge of the map and your bow is pointed off the map the brigand will almost certainly go around the rock so it will bounce off, ussualy just once or twice but every little bit helps. If your bow is facing toward the rock or inside the map, I'll bet the brigand avoids crashing into the rock unless of course you some how make it clear you will turn around and head out side the map but I don't see how you will do that, remember they are geniuses.

Rocks at a dignal are good for banging a brigand of the rocks, if you remember to stay outside the tiles imidatly around the rock, moving your ship significantly back and forth with the rocks between you and the brigand can keep them on the rocks. Don't expect much from two rocks at a dignals but 3 or more works well.

I think the navy ships will stop moving when you are in a close proximity to them so leading em around the rocks at the edge fo the map and staying close enogh to the navy ship can produce a lot of damage, I can not be sure, they could just be lazy and after significant amounts of damge their bilge fills up and they are permantly stuck. I have easily bounced a navy ship 40+ times of the rocks in a row with that tactic. Although bouncing them 12-20 times off a small rock will cause max damge. I like to make jokes incase your wondering why I sometimes wait that long.

I also noticed that every player ship who has ran from me will run into the edge of the map, this is a bad idea. It limits your moves and I can easily over take you turning left and right avoiding the edge of the map myself. How ever if you do manage to lead the player to the edge of the map congrats you got lucky and can easily get away but I won't follow you. Ounce I over take a ship at the edge of the map assuming you over take em at a tile dignal to them, they got three moves they can make and can be easily caught. Running into a corner is the like asking to be caught its not a good idea. When running stay away from the edge of the map and turn left and right, you move two tiles or at a diganl which ever way you consider it you cover more ground then just going straight. I only recomend going straight whenn fine tuning your moves around rocks, into and out of whirl pools and wind jets and those few extra moves when your opponent is running dry on turns to catch up to or put more distance between you and them. I find when running/catching a runner the 4 straight moves given at the start are ussualy enough to do the job so I focus on left and right turns and only on straight turns when I know I'll need them.

I got more, and you can infer a few good strats form what I've given here. I got to keep a few secreets :)

- Corey
- Corey
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Num1ace.com    Num1ace    Num1ace [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

What's your crew? I'd love to have my crew fight you sometime.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
cowdarse

Sea Battles Reply to this Post

I'm new to sea battlin' so am sailin' wi bots.(3)......cos I don't want to let anybody down but meself! But, with 1 bot on carp and 2 on sails, I am constantly waitin' fer tokens to build up and can't make "fancy" manoevers that I can see would be good. often when I'm waitin' fer tokens I'm hammered...... and the bilge fills slowin' me even more.........
any advice would be welcomed with unconfined joy. Well, it wouldn't really but I'm feelin' a bit depressed what wi' all me failures.
[Feb 1, 2004 6:16:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Try jobbing with other crews, and see how they battle - it's very useful even for experienced officers!

If you are soloing, the easiest set-up is 2 swabbies on sails and one on carpentry - switch the carpenter to bilge when you get a small amount of water seeping in, but don't forget to switch them back again.

Watch the movements of the other ship - don't just try to run away, if they're not moving there's no need to move, sit for that turn and build up a couple of tokens.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Feb 1, 2004 6:27:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cowdarse

Battle nav. Reply to this Post

Thanks Demeter fer yer prompt reply...........doin that every chance I get and have me bots like ye suggest. Maybe I'm just not good enough wi' the moves......Depressin'.....unless I can get it right more than wrong, I'd be embarrased to job non-bots!....Gotta keep tryin' I guess.
[Feb 1, 2004 6:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aemasu

I find that ye run out of pieces very quickly if you use all four moves each turn. Have ye tried using one or two tokens a turn, and only 4 if yer trying to get to a certain spot quickly?
Aemasu,
Playing under a different name.
[Feb 1, 2004 8:39:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

So, token movement first, wind and whirlpools second, and cannon shots last.

This is exactly correct.

Me, on my website wrote: 
Whirlpools move you in pretty much the opposite way to a left turn.

Learning how whirlpools move lets you get in easy hits, too. Also, whenever an AI dodges a move, you should remember how they reacted to the situation, and try and get a good idea of how they move in general, because it's usually the same. Good battle navvers know how an AI will move, and how humans are likely to move, on top of how all the pieces on the board work.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Feb 1, 2004 1:02:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
OldCharon

Sea Battle Reply to this Post

i find it hard to explain how i sea battle, since i use the force, but ill give it a shot here, in no order whatsoever.
any place where you can limit the briggands movement is good. the edge of the map, rocks, etc. if you know they cant move forward or right, your chances of hitting them increase dramatically. mostly though, i just try and think like a briggand and then counter what they would do. as was afore mentioned, briggands dont move on the first move too often, so use that knowlege to your advantage.
some other points of note: i will stay stationary for the first few moves and collect tokens while the briggand putzes around and gets close. that way, even if you get hit at some point, you will have stockpiled a few moves so you can still get about. ill use this in the middle of the battles too if im having a hard time engaging or the briggands are especially active. good preperation is always key also. having the guns loaded before you get to the sea battle is very important, so you arent wasting manpower on guns when they should be sailing or carping. also, know the whirlpools! they are your friend. you can skate across the board and save tokens if you use them right. and watch how briggands react in whirlpools. if you sit at the edge of one, sometimes you can just watch their moves and fill em full of holes while they flounder in the whirlpool.
one thing i see a lot that i dont agree with is sea battles that go on forever while the captain shoots the briggands a zillion times. i can see that if you are fighting a red or an orange, but a green? if your even, a few good shots should give you all the advantage you need. cannonballs add up after a while, and there is no reason you cant rely on your steel. as a rule of thumb, ill usually only shoot the ammount of cannons that a ship can have loaded at once. ie: ill shoot no more than 4 times if im on a sloop, hit or miss, before attempting to engage. i dont really see the need to even shoot at the light blues that sometimes attack you before engaging, unless they shoot you first.
remember that boats that are bigger than yours shoot bigger cannonballs, so engaging with them right of the bat is to your benefit. it takes a lot of your shots to do the same damage as one of the bigger boats shots, so the odds are not in your favour.

how movement works: token movement first, wind and whirlpools second, and cannon shots last.

dont forget that you can shoot over the small rocks, too. sometimes you can trap em in the rocks and shoot them at the same time if you get lucky.
hope this helps out.

*edit may 30, 2004*
the briggands now move on the first turn almost always, and your movement tokens wear out over time, so you cant save em forever like you used to be able to. you can check when your movement token is going to be gone by placing the cursor over said token. the closer the number is towards the left, the sooner it will rot. numbers in red rot next turn.
You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by OldCharon at Feb 21, 2004 3:07:25 AM]
[Feb 21, 2004 3:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
snowtiger

I would just like to say ty to everyone who has taken the time and effort to put tips in here... I am a newbie officer and have found all this info very helpfull....
[Apr 22, 2004 1:21:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScurvyBee

Re: Sea Battles Reply to this Post

cowdarse wrote: 
I'm new to sea battlin' so am sailin' wi bots.(3)......cos I don't want to let anybody down but meself! But, with 1 bot on carp and 2 on sails, I am constantly waitin' fer tokens to build up and can't make "fancy" manoevers that I can see would be good. often when I'm waitin' fer tokens I'm hammered...... and the bilge fills slowin' me even more.........
any advice would be welcomed with unconfined joy. Well, it wouldn't really but I'm feelin' a bit depressed what wi' all me failures.

I solo a lot when I try to memorize leagues. I've found that I can keep a good supply of tokens generating if I put all three bots on sails, and I take bilge/battle nav. This makes me vulnerable to being hit, but it helps me conserve tiles and avoid colliding with the brigand. I also never use more tiles than the brigand does, unless I absolutely have to.

Once I get hit, or I need to reload guns, I'll move a swabbie back to carp and continue doing bilge/battle nav or guns/battle nav. It's hard to play two puzzles at once, and your field of view is very limited, but it's worth trying.

Of course, this assumes that what you want to do is avoid the brigand. I never hunt brigs solo; why handicap yourself if you don't have to?

Good luck!
Iole, Retired Flirt of the Cult of the Red Mantis
Friendly Looterati
[Apr 22, 2004 1:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puzjunky

The important thing to remember is that Bilge level slows token generation.

If yer bilge gets too high, your tokens will stop no matter how many sailors ye have.

And damage from not doing carp make bilge rise faster too.
Talons

who was I again?
[Apr 22, 2004 2:24:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    talonsypp [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates