• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 576 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Traslogan

Puzzle Pirates Steam - Can't Get Past "Loading Media" Reply to this Post

So I recently decided to retry Puzzle Pirates with some friends, and I've got my account linked to steam so I need to use that version.

I updated to the latest 32-bit java, ran java version check to ensure I don't have outdated versions, and it's all good.

however on Puzzle Pirates on steam, it loads up and then gets to Loading Media, gets to 95% of the loading bar, and then completely freezes up. The music keeps playing but I cannot interact with the music icon to toggle it anymore, and the game will never load regardless of how much time has elapsed.

If I use task manager to shut it down, I have to verify the files on steam to get it to work again or I get a white-screen and nothing else when playing again.

Any idea what this might be and how to fix it?
[Jul 26, 2019 5:25:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Traslogan

Re: Puzzle Pirates Steam - Can't Get Past "Loading Media" Reply to this Post

Should be "installing media" not "Loading media", my bad.

Anyone know at all?
[Jul 29, 2019 9:56:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Traslogan

So I tried the manual PP client and it works fine but my account is on steam with all my progress, therefore my issue is still here.
[Jul 29, 2019 11:18:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

If you are using Windows, the Steam version of the game bundles its own copy of Java, which is 1.6 (and has never been updated for who knows what reason), and will only use this version.

However, you are able to copy your updated Java installation into the game client's path, and use that instead. To do so, you will need to locate both your Java install (by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre###, where the ###s are the Java version number) and your Steam PP install (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Puzzle Pirates\). Copy everything from the jre### folder (you should see \bin and \lib folders and a few other files to Puzzle Pirates\java_vm, overwriting everything. Steam will now use the updated Java to run the game, and hopefully you are able to play.

Note: If your OS is a 32-bit OS, the (x86) part in Program Files will be absent. 64-bit Windows uses that to distinguish between 64-bit and 32-bit programs, though I don't think it strongly enforces this.

Note: While Steam does not object to this (I've been doing this for years), if you ever choose the "verify integrity of game files" option, it will fail the entire java_vm folder, and redownload 1.6.
----------------------------------------
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 30, 2019 8:56:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyerio

If you are using Windows, the Steam version of the game bundles its own copy of Java, which is 1.6 (and has never been updated for who knows what reason), and will only use this version.

However, you are able to copy your updated Java installation into the game client's path, and use that instead. To do so, you will need to locate both your Java install (by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre###, where the ###s are the Java version number) and your Steam PP install (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Puzzle Pirates\). Copy everything from the jre### folder (you should see \bin and \lib folders and a few other files to Puzzle Pirates\java_vm, overwriting everything. Steam will now use the updated Java to run the game, and hopefully you are able to play.

Note: If your OS is a 32-bit OS, the (x86) part in Program Files will be absent. 64-bit Windows uses that to distinguish between 64-bit and 32-bit programs, though I don't think it strongly enforces this.

Note: While Steam does not object to this (I've been doing this for years), if you ever choose the "verify integrity of game files" option, it will fail the entire java_vm folder, and redownload 1.6.

I tried this , it says the game is running when it is not or does not show up on my screen atleast...
[Jul 31, 2019 1:31:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates