• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2854 times and has 22 replies
Pasteyman

Remembering our dear friend and buddy Reply to this Post

Hey friends,

It's with great sadness and a broken heart, that I pass along the news that we lost a very dear friend this morning. Martobain (Marten, Martoo, Martje) was on his way to work when he was killed by a drunk driver. This is senseless and needless to say, we are grieving for his wife Valentina, his parents in the Netherlands, his family, friends and everyone that has had the pleasure to meet Marten, and keeping them close in our thoughts.

For his dear wife, at this time her request is that we keep Marten's memory sacred, and never, ever forget him. So I'm opening up this forum thread, that we can all share memories and laugh like the way Marten made us so many times before. Please share anything below that will help immortalize the memory of our friend.

For those of you who weren't lucky enough to have known Martobain, you can get to know a little taste of him here: https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Martobain - scroll to the bottom and read and laugh at the adventures of Tom Cruise the Elephant. If you go to the docks on Admiral Island, you'll see Marten's favourite pet and hopefully it makes you smile.

---

I'll start us off with a little memory of my own. Two weeks ago we were blockading at Admiral Island and Marto showed up as usual and was down in the nav room with us. I do an awful nav turn, where I go down 6 shots, and I'm pretty pissed off. Marto, with perfect comedic timing, played the Kramer music from Seinfeld, rubbing salt in my wound. He had a way of pushing the boundaries of funny to lengths I think are incomparable. He was the only person I knew who could get away with saying some of the most ridiculous things, but everyone laughed because it was Marto, and he just had that effect on people.

I'll miss my old friend, but I take comfort in knowing that he was an unforgettable person.

---

We will be thinking of ways to celebrate Marten in game, but as the news is still fresh to us, we are more focused on sharing memories right now. Once we get something together, I will share it.

---

----------------------------------------
Pasteyman
King of Guerrilla Warfare (Obsidian, retired)
Prince of Grow Up (Emerald, active)

[Edit 6 times, last edit by Pasteyman at Jul 17, 2019 9:55:53 AM]
[Jul 17, 2019 9:42:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yasmi6

Re: Remembering our dear friend and buddy Reply to this Post

Firstly this is a very sad day and may he rest in peace. May all his friends and family find the strength to go through this grief.

Martobain was my first pvp about 10 years when I was a newbie. I was on a sloop and well he sunk me. I used to laugh with him when we used to be in voice chats for cades.

I don't play much myself as my life changed a lot with 3 children by myself but I do occasionally log and say hello.

Marto you and your elephant stories will be missed. May you rest in peace.

Edited to add that I have caded with and against Marto and either way he was always nice and a fair player. He's the kind of person that is a pleasure to have in either team.
Yasmi on Meridian
Yasmi/Ayani on all oceans
Captain of Lilith's Perfume
Princess of Imperial Coalition
(ex-Queen of Devils Advocates)

Better to reign in Hell, than to serve in Heaven...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yasmi6 at Jul 17, 2019 10:28:37 AM]
[Jul 17, 2019 10:02:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catzubmsve

Such an awful way to lose someone who was a positive influence to the puzzle pirates community.

Many of us have been touched by this pirate who played for many years and always brought a TON of laughs to all of us.

Rest in Peace Martobain and my deepest sympathies to his family. Thanks for everything mate. Yarr!!

Redbrdterry (on all oceans)
Senior Officer of the crew Mermaids Typhoon
Lord of the flag Puzzleholics Anonymous
[Jul 17, 2019 10:03:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sensualtzer    averyrealboy [Link]  Go to top 
spellbinding

I must say I am in absolute shock. My deepest sympathies go out to his wife, family and close friends. We all play this never ending game it comes as quite a shock when we hear about one of our pirate friends passing on and never logging on again. I have a fond memory of when he pvped a GF bash I was running on Obsidian, with 200 lls, he pvps me on a lil sloop. Does circles around the GF a few times and than disengages and disappears. I will also never forget that robotic voice changer he used to use in discord. It cracked me up. An idea for some memorial event we could do in PP or him, we should organise a flotilla. He was great at those :)

Spellbinding of all oceans =)
Yes i am back!!

[Jul 17, 2019 10:19:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wobblysquab

Absolutely gutted to be hearing this. I've never talked to him personally but from seeing him in game and on the forums I knew he was such a beloved friend and player and extremely funny to boot.

I'm so sorry to everyone for their loss and my sympathies go out to everyone he knew and loved.
Squabbles/Lacklustre/Wobblysquab on Emerald
[Jul 17, 2019 10:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jessicahx

This has definitely taken a while to process, what a hilarious guy with such a bright future ahead of him.

Always a pleasure being on a ship with him and seeing the outrageous things he'd come out with.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family, friends, and of course to Valentina.
[Jul 17, 2019 10:33:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

I was lucky and privileged enough to have known Marten since 2006 on and off. Anyone who has interacted over the years with him can understand just how much enjoyment and laughter he brought to the game.

Anytime he was online you just wanted to be hanging around with him making jokes/memes/generally being immature and not taking the game or people too seriously.

Sometimes at his own detriment when he managed to get banned for telling people he was an 8 year old.

His stories about Tom the Elephant are legendary and his Guerrilla Warfare intent posts were hilarious. He just had that natural born ability to be extremely funny no matter how boring the topic of conversation or situation.

When Obsidian opened in 2017 and I reconnected with Marten it was a no brainer I had to be in the same flag/crew as him because he just made it even more worthwhile to log on. He subsequently delivered some of the greatest memes any Puzzle Pirate related discord server has ever seen.

He could severely roast you via memes about a range of things and still make you laugh.

Some highlights off the top of my head with Marten are:

• Blockade naving with him, him telling me he’s got 90% damage and needs to swap positions with me and heal. Then 5 minutes later telling me he’s ready to join the fight again, but has 85% damage, proceeding to bring his War Brig back into the fight regardless.

• Providing me with fake updates over discord of a blockade I couldn’t make, convincing me we’d won the blockade when we had actually lost.

• Providing the most intense play by play commentary of a Cerulean blockade that consisted of 1 undermanned junk v another undermanned junk

• Anytime I asked him to do anything he “had a turkey in the oven”

• We made him Governor of Anole Garden on Obsidian and he panicked the island builders of our flag such as Vas and Stan by sending us screenshots of him about to place an Inn before a bazaar.

• All of the memes he made, all of his forum posts.

• He was voted the best flotilla naver on Obsidian in 2018 - but thought we were mocking him because he always struggled to fill.

There’s loads more but i’ll be listing things all day. He was just someone you had to be around for a minute to realise he just wanted to make people laugh, and he was the best at it.

I’m glad more people were able to experience being around and interacting with him when he stared playing again in 2017, and the forum was blessed with more of his genius work. I told him frequently he was the funniest person I’ve come across in or out of game.

The world needs more people like him, it’s absolutely gutting we have instead lost him. But I will certainly never forget him. My main disappointment is he’s not here to meme/roast me for this post like I know he would love to do.

Rest in peace Marten. My thoughts and condolences are with his wife Valentina and their families.
A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[Jul 17, 2019 10:48:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vellanora

I've had the pleasure of knowing Marten and Tom Cruise (his friend and buddy) for about 10 years.

Marten is one of the closest friends I've had in-game, and I have seen him be nothing but loyal, reliable and honest to every one of his friends. Marten is the type of person who is always there when his friends need him. Whenever there werent enough navs or we needed a gunner or there was some, BK cade no one else wanted to nav, he logged on and saved the day. Actually, this happened countless times... but we could always count on him to pull through. And Marten never cared about the order, or the type of ship or who else would be there, he was always happy for the opportunity and always thankful to just be part of the team. The only thing that would come before helping his friends was Valentina, and he always seemed pretty delighted to be leaving his computer for one of her meals. <3

Marten never complained, he was always cheerful and just wanted to have fun with his friends and he always uplifted the mood win or lose, I think everyone would agree that when Marten was there, we were having a better time. I think he'll be remembered by anyone who had the opportunity to talk to him, especially for his lightheartedness and humour. The way he managed to make everyone laugh by breaking a silence in voice chat, sending the perfect meme or just being completely offside and unexpected, Marten always brought us to tears laughing.

Valentina, I may not know you, but I do know a fair bit about you, because Marten always found a way to slip a mention of you into our conversations. Since the first time he traveled to the states to meet you, he has always been so proud of finding, and then marrying, the love of his life. He appreciated the way you cared for him endlessly, and has always spoke so highly of you every time he has had the chance. I can't imagine how you're feeling today. My heart is broken for you and your family and I am devastated for you to be experiencing such a tragedy. In my eyes, Marten was only good, the way people should be. A perfect person. I find it so unfair, for him to be gone already, so young, when there are so many people who need him. In all honesty, there aren't words to truly express the sadness I feel for you, and I only hope that in time you remember the hurt from this day less, and the details of happiness he brought to your life more and more.

I feel so blessed to be able to share in the memories we all have of Marten. He loved the game more than any person I know, and I can't even fathom the time he spent on game-related content...memes and stories and forum posts and images... purely to make the rest of us happy. Marten was selfless, to say he will be missed is an understatement... today the world lost a truly special person.
Velternal, new to Obsidian!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Vellanora at Jul 17, 2019 4:04:22 PM]
[Jul 17, 2019 12:45:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dagnanlian69

Devastating news.
Marten was a selfless gent and a very well-respected player among us. Incredibly quick-witted and hilarious to the bone, Marten always brightened up everybody's mood. One of the most genuine people I've ever met, he always said it how it was even if it was an unpopular opinion.
My deepest sympathies to his family and friends (and Tom Cruise the elephant (his friend and buddy)) it was a pleasure to be in this community with him, Marto will be missed
Dagnanlian
Avatar by the lovely Velternal <3
[Jul 17, 2019 2:08:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

Really, really awful. I loved Marten ever since the old days on Viridian where I was super young and just thought him and his friends were really cool. He was always kind to me and had a wickedly quick wit. It was lovely to reconnect with him on Obsidian as an older and slightly less annoying person. I will leave the stories to those who really knew him - though if anyone can find that "Free Martobain" thread in these borked forums, that deserves a mention. Thinking of Valentina, his family and all of you who were his really close friends. <3
Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Edit 1 times, last edit by superstarsam at Jul 17, 2019 3:26:06 PM]
[Jul 17, 2019 3:25:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pasteyman

Marten's wife asked me to share this forward:

ValentinafioToday at 7:36 PM
I cant reply to the forums because I cant remember my password and I dont have the energy to go through figuring it out but would you post this for me? :

Thank you so much for these stories. I've read them all and I will continue to read them as you guys write them. Velternal: You've truly touched me. Thank you for those words. I wish I didn't have to but I said so much of the same about him today myself and that's how I know you're hurting too. We all are. We have all lost a pure light today.

Pasteyman
King of Guerrilla Warfare (Obsidian, retired)
Prince of Grow Up (Emerald, active)

[Jul 17, 2019 4:05:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Malificentt

Valentina, although we have never met my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I loved playing our game with Marto. I met him years ago on meridian. He would ask me to come sail for him when he was pvping. I learned to love the pvp aspect of the game from him. He was a pvp god!

Marten and I spent a lot of time talking in ventrillo back in the old days. I remember when he was getting ready to meet Valentina, he said he was so scared because “he liked her a lot”. I left the game for a while and didn’t see him for a long time and never heard what had happened… the first time I logged on at the same time he did, he sent me a tell saying “I married her!”.

One of favorite memory of Marto was during a blockade. We were on a frig together waiting for the cade to start. He said to me something like “Susie!!! The last time I saw you the soldiers were dragging me across our yard”. He and I continued to ad-lib a story that was so funny, soon the whole frig was quiet listening to our “reunion”.

Marten was one of a kind, he had a way to make everyone laugh and feel special. Cades will never be the same…

I will miss you so much my friend, may you rest in peace. <3
~*~Malificent~*~
Queen of Tell No Tales
Princess of Lion's Bane
Queen of Infamous
[Jul 17, 2019 10:30:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumrizzo

We played different oceans on different sides for years and I may have only shared a handful of experiences with Marto but I remember every one.

He is humorous, generous and vibrant. We haven't spoken in years and I miss him already.
Tomrizzo
Serendipity, Rebel Rousers
Emerald
[Jul 18, 2019 1:08:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

I have spent the last 24 hours trying to find the words to write, and none of them feel right for the man Marto was. He was unique, witty, charming and managed to make anyone smile no matter what was going on that day. One of the few people who always called me Calamarie instead of Cala :)

Valentina, my thoughts and wishes are with you and everyone else who was close to him <3

As I said on a discord earlier today, my heart is broken, when tragic events like this happen it reminds me of how small and close a community we all really are. We may play an outdated game, but most people here grew up together over the last 10-15 years. No matter what side of an alliance anyone may sit - there is a bond that binds us all, and the community and friendships made are the fundamental reason we continue to play this game.

Marten - sleep well, you leave a great hole in many people's lives, but will be remembered for always.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Jul 18, 2019 10:32:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ryanford350

Like many, this hit me hard.

Reading about Marto's passing in disbelief, I'm going to admit a small part of me (maybe desperately) expected this to be one of his famous ruses... as Marto always walked the edge in his brand of humor. So while I was hoping for the last second, "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated", this is where RL as we say, becomes very... real.

Marto (as I always knew him), was a real dichotomy. Having been around almost to the game's inception, he had a way of disarming those who got a bit out of hand in taking an in-game rivalry to an unhealthy level of toxicity with a sense of levity and scathing wit- which could be as disarming as any other neanderthal flame-war tactic. Never took himself too seriously and crafted the art of ramping up a spoof of his adventures with his best friend and pachyderm buddy (Tom Cruise the Elephant) to hysterical levels.

As Antix mentioned, he was in my mind one of the outright funniest pirates in the game. His wit unparalleled.

It is profoundly sad to be commemorating him in the past tense. Sincerest condolences to his wife and family.

To one of the greats, I bid peace
PoE

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Jul 18, 2019 2:57:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

No llores porque ya se terminó, sonríe porque sucedió.

I'm sorry to hear the passing of Marto, my thoughts are with Valentina and their families.

It was my absolute pleasure to read your adventures with Tom Cruise, and I hope that regardless of belief, you continue to have these epic and immortal adventures.
Ozzy, Retired.
[Jul 19, 2019 8:24:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Narcissag

Im still on shock...
Marto is one of the best pirates i meet, so funny, nice, and polite...Im without words.
My heart is with the family and he’s wife Valentina all my love to you in this hard moment.
Narci

"Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
[Jul 19, 2019 6:23:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monliz

A memorial flotilla run will be held Saturday, July 20th, at 2pm game time on the Emerald Ocean in memory of Martobain. Everyone will be gathering on the old Guerrilla Warfare discord to share stories and to spend time together as a community. Just look to the notice board then and the shout outs in global chat. The discord link will be given during the flotilla.
Monlizzy
Captain and Counselor of Midnight Aurora & Queen of Imperial Coalition on the Meridian Ocean
Queen of Lion's Bane on the Obsidian Ocean
Princess of Tell No Tales on the Emerald Ocean
[Jul 19, 2019 9:24:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mitsu999

Valentina -- I cannot express how sad I feel for you and Marten's family. I know he loved you with all his heart. He spoke of you often and was very proud to be your husband. His parents should be so proud of the kind, gentle, sweet, loving man he became.

I have been crying constantly since I heard the news.

Marten was a great pirate, funny to a fault. The last time we spoke (July 15), I asked him if he had gotten the new graphics card he was researching ... his response "Mhm it's working swimmingly. Can finally reap the fruits of full HD gunning." My response "Does puzzle pirates really require all that?" Faster than I can type, he responded "Oh yeah. It's finally in 3D now." Me: "And do we have noses too?". Marten: "I think I need 4K for that".

I remember on Meridian doing 2-man BK hunts (he made me bnav so he did not ruin his bnav rank - which is a joke, we all know Grumbles does not bnav). All this just to get the monthly seal, and fortunately those seals did not require winning against the BK, just engaging them. All we really did on those was act like sitting ducks and crack jokes (he cracked, I laughed). I always looked forward to the month when that seal came out so I could try to convince him to do it with me. Every month in the future when that is the seal, Marten will be in my heart on some ship fighting BKs.

Marten did try to teach me how to bnav a couple times in Meridian, but the student failed the teacher.

Marten did not play a lot lately, but when he was online and saw me on a pillage or SMH or blockade, he'd often just hop on the same ship so we could chat. I am going to miss gunning (poorly) next to him or just sending him congrats on top guns or snide comments when he failed to get an incred. He always complemented me and said he failed when I filled more cannons (rarely) than he did.

I remember hiding out on an alt gunning for Marten as he PVP'd near Port Venture in early days of Obsidian. And, I remember going on pillages with Marten in Obsidian and not understanding a thing he and Antix or other crew members were bantering about. Marten told me it was probably just as well I did not understand. I always felt so privileged to gun for Marten on sloops since we all know he could gun and bnav and still win easily; he did not ever really need a jobbing gunner on his sloop elites.

I only knew Marten for just over 5 years. I don't really have friends in real life, but Marten was my friend, hell no, he was family to me. He always went out of his way to make sure I was ok. He was the one friend who helped me get thru surgeries, thru cancer, thru my daughter's surgeries and her on-going struggle to try to get pregnant via in vitro. And just 6 weeks ago, even while he was on holiday in The Netherlands, he helped get thru my own mother's passing, checking in on me several times once he heard about it. I will miss Marten and he will be forever in my heart, he touched me to the core. I have always tried to keep my top hearties list short, and out of respect to Valentina (his one and only true top hearty), never showed Marten as a top hearty. But I changed that on the 3 oceans where he was a hearty. He will remain a top hearty on my page for as long PP lives.

Marten, my friend, my confidant, rest in peace.
Grumbles on all oceans
[Edit 3 times, last edit by mitsu999 at Jul 20, 2019 3:52:04 AM]
[Jul 20, 2019 3:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dalnoth

I can't be online today but I would like to say to his family and significant other that I am deeply sorry for your loss. When I knew Marto he was one of the rare genuinely kind souls on this game; he never had a negative thing to say about anyone and was greatly helpful to many of my blockades. It's a rarity to meet someone especially in this atmosphere who carries themselves with such a gentlemen like dignity.

Again my condolences.
Dalnoth
Novo tells ye, "Howtie removed me as a manager from her tailor, my wager swordfighting career is over :(."
[Jul 20, 2019 5:12:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://somethingawful.com [Link]  Go to top 
Bluedaemon

He never knew this, but Marto was one of my first idols when I was a Puzzle Pirates greenie on Viridian. Back then I looked up to him for his impeccable puzzling, but over the years as I got to know him, I've learned what everyone else has already said: he was genuinely one of the funniest, good-spirited players ever to grace our servers. He will be missed dearly. Rest in peace, Marto.
[Jul 20, 2019 10:35:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mooshoufunk

I did not know him like all of you but I send my deepest condolences. Fair winds and seas dear Martobain.
Mandie-mo
Free-spirited pirate of the night, Midnight now Cerulean.

Mandie on Obsidian

Murasaki wrote: 

I like big butts and I can not lie.

[Jul 20, 2019 4:02:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Monliz

Thank you everyone who turned out to help us all remember our friend, Martobain, today. Special thanks to Grumbles for the stock and to Grow Up for hosting. He would have loved every bit of it. From Pasteyman sinking the first go around to all the kind words expressed to his beautiful wife, Valentina, who did make it. He would have been making us all laugh for sure. I have known Marten since the early days of the old Viridian Ocean. He taught me what I know about flotilla nav and was one of those people that assisted others unselfishly. So many countless flags, not just the big names, but also those smaller flags that needed advice and teaching, to become better than they ever could have been. I love you my friend and will work every day to be more like you. To look for the humor in everything and share that. Valentina, I meant what I said to you. We are all of us here for you. Not just today but for the years to come. Our community is not just about a game but about the many relationships we have forged and that carry on as we live our lives. Marten would want that.

~Lizzy
Monlizzy
Captain and Counselor of Midnight Aurora & Queen of Imperial Coalition on the Meridian Ocean
Queen of Lion's Bane on the Obsidian Ocean
Princess of Tell No Tales on the Emerald Ocean
[Jul 20, 2019 4:41:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates