• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 864 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Cultured

Tips on Stall Management Reply to this Post

**UPDATE BELOW**

Ahoy!

I've recently come back to Puzzle Pirates (Emerald Ocean), and am loving it. Back in the day, I was always messing around with stalls, and now that I have a decent amount of PoE saved (150k-ish), I would like to get back into that.

Questions:

1. With the current player population, is it possible run a decently profitable stall? Also, since I assume its harder to get people to work at your stall, are alternate accounts necessary?

2. Currently, are some types stalls much easier to get to be profitable than others? Should I always go for the largest size stall?

3. What would you say are the most important things to know about running a stall effectively.

4. Is there any reason not to open your stall on the most populated islands? (I was thinking Admiral or Aiumari)

Thank you for answering my questions!! I'd really love to be hearties with someone who is experienced in stall management that I could PM occasionally. As I'm sure more questions will arise as I start managing.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Cultured at May 23, 2019 10:24:29 AM]
[May 14, 2019 1:00:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Tips on Stall Management Reply to this Post

Hi, I am going to stab at an answer, even though I retired years ago and I was always kind of lame at shoppe-keeping.

Scuttlebutt holds that shoppekeeping is not all it is cracked up to be, especially in recent times. However, I would say that if you enjoyed it before, you will enjoy it now as well: don't play expecting to win, but expect to just have fun!

Consistent profit is difficult because of: clogged markets, cut-throat competitions, zombie stalls, poker, etc. Consistent labor is nigh-impossible without self-supply via expert alts. There is no such thing as customer loyalty.

Look at the bright side: Puzzle Pirates can be very educational, and I'd say that a trader's life is the most applicable to Real Life Situations(TM). I ran Amity Island and its iron monger for months, very profitably, and it was exciting edutainment for me! It's a good opportunity to learn economics, number-crunching, and soft business skills, without risking actual capital or credit. It's also great to be a cog in the huge wheel of the PP economy, keeping ships stocked or clothes on the backs of worthy landlubbers. My administration of Amity was fully in service to League of Light and the archipelago in general, that in itself was a priceless reward, and a nice feather in my tricorne.

I would say that the primary key to good shoppe management is not to lie to your ledger. SOOO many players cheat by pumping poker proceeds into the coffers, paying alts 1/1/1, or other stupid stuff that basically just hides ineptitude and financial irresponsibility! Pay your alts a living wage (enough to recoup Labor Badge cost) and at least try not to run at a deficit just because you have 2,000,000 poe in reserves. (That is the making of a future Zombie Stall, a blight on the economy and an unfair disadvantage for hapless active players, just making a living.)

Now, if you literally want to go the extra nautical mile and be a real trader, I advise that you figure out how to make some real live trading runs back and forth. Use PCTB or whatever it is today, and find a profitable trade, get in a boat and make it happen! One of the funnest parts as a shoppe-keeper was to get my crewbies and hearties on a nice leisurely Merchant Brig run halfway across Sage. There's so little pressure on the puzzlers, they get nice long uninterrupted puzzling sessions, and you just pay them per league with a little somethin'somethin' bonus at the end. Even shoppe-less traders can go on trade runs; not enough people do 'em, because they're not glamourous, but they truly make the ocean go 'round!

Welp, that is plenty of aimless rambling! I know I failed to answer yer questions, but that's simply how I roll. Fair Winds, and happy trading!

Ljamethyst (ret'd)
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[May 22, 2019 1:39:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

If you plan to open an IM or a distillery do so on a remote part of the ocean and stock up for when a flotilla/blockade/smh shows up, investing in a merchant ship should also help you out with that.

Also get a spreadsheet.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[May 22, 2019 3:55:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cultured

Ok Update:

The day after I posted this I opened up a Distillery on Admiral. I have a couple alts, however I still can't get to expert labor (Im getting better and can score excellents sometimes, but haven't gotten an expert score. I imagine I will soon)

After everything accounted for (including my alts labor badges) I make less than 1k a week making hemp oil. Profit margins look greater for fine rum which I should be able to make in the near future. I'm happy to do what I'm doing, as I love the Distilling puzzle and running a stall in general, but if there's any way I can make more Poe I want to find it.

I'm tracking my weekly profits and checking for opportunities to change my buy/sell prices.

I am saving up for a Merchant brig right now and will start doing trade runs this week.

HOWEVER, I've been thinking about what Shinito said, and I think I may just take his advice. I want to run my stall for a long time, and therefore am willing to throw some money at opening another test stall on another, more remote island somewhere to see how it fairs and how easily i can sell rum. I won't do this until I can consistently produce expert labor.

Any idea on which island would be a good place to look at?
[May 23, 2019 10:23:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

HOWEVER, I've been thinking about what Shinito said, and I think I may just take his advice. I want to run my stall for a long time, and therefore am willing to throw some money at opening another test stall on another, more remote island somewhere to see how it fairs and how easily i can sell rum. I won't do this until I can consistently produce expert labor.

Any idea on which island would be a good place to look at?

Well, Sayers is regularly running low on supplies of rum. On the other hand, there's not a lot of pillaging traffic nearby, so you're going to have to stock up between blockades and make your money during them. On the other hand, I've got a furnisher that sells grog at 70 (I'm not trying to sell it, just willing to do so if someone wants to pay through the nose), and I occasionally get nibbles for it, so while the sales aren't steady, the profit margins frequently are very good.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[May 29, 2019 7:09:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates