• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 705 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
LJAmethyst

Proposal to lock this forum Reply to this Post

In light of the cessation of development and releases of the server and client code for this game, as well as the palpable absence of developer participation in these forums or the YPPedia, I humbly suggest that the utility of the Game Design forum has likewise ceased to apply.

Any suggestions proffered by the player base for improvements in gameplay or design, or even addition of art assets, seem to be pointless if there have been no updates or releases for over seven months. I can understand if Grey Havens is reluctant to commit themselves to official pronouncements about this, but it seems unkinder to leave us to read the tea leaves and wonder where exactly we are headed with this.

Clearly, deploying Obsidian and embracing Steam was a last-ditch attempt to generate some revenue. The timid tweaking of game mechanics may have been refreshing, but IMHO not revolutionary enough to generate sufficient interest in "hardcore" play as a contrast to the veritable nerf-land which characterized established oceans.

I must commend the skeleton crew, especially OMs, for their valiant efforts and efficient administration which has kept Puzzle Pirates as a vibrant community despite at least a decade of our HWFO about the decline and fall of our civilization. It is clear to me that a game is only as dead as the players want it to be, and the tenacity of Midnighters in particular is a testament to the importance of community and collective effort in making games fun to play. The thing that attracted to me in the first place, more than a deceptively simple puzzle-based social game, was the independent and free-spirited ethos of Three Rings, and their embrace of open source, Java and Linux in defiance of a Windows-dominated FPS/RPG world. Captain Cleaver inspired many daring and groundbreaking ventures that made even Sega sit up and take notice. So, well done, good and faithful servants. And we wish you all the best in your future endeavors. So long, and thanks for all the fish!
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Mar 8, 2019 10:47:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Re: Proposal to lock this forum Reply to this Post

Ironic how you're suggesting this in GD forums, but okay.

I feel like there's still merit in GD forums despite the lack of official responses though. Most ideas are brought forward and fleshed out by the community itself anyway.

Whether or not these ideas actually bear fruit is a separate issue, but the discussion itself is nice. It's another avenue for interaction among the playerbase, I'd hate to see it go.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Mar 9, 2019 1:34:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Ironic how you're suggesting this in GD forums, but okay.

I feel like there's still merit in GD forums despite the lack of official responses though. Most ideas are brought forward and fleshed out by the community itself anyway.

Whether or not these ideas actually bear fruit is a separate issue, but the discussion itself is nice. It's another avenue for interaction among the playerbase, I'd hate to see it go.

+1, Its most definitely worth discussing about issues in the game.
Support Sov! and I miss Jake :(

Remove dead oceans (Jade/Opal/Meridian), all those wasted new players :/

Idk why people use alts to be relevant bashing everything.......
[Mar 9, 2019 4:48:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

With respect LJ, you have been retired since August 2015, so I don't think it is fair that you suggest the locking of what is actually one of the most popular forums! There are still people playing this game, and still people reading and writing to the forums, and until that last person switches off the lights, there is no need to lock anything.
Zapa of Emerald
[Mar 10, 2019 12:47:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

With respect LJ, you have been retired since August 2015, so I don't think it is fair that you suggest the locking of what is actually one of the most popular forums! There are still people playing this game, and still people reading and writing to the forums, and until that last person switches off the lights, there is no need to lock anything.

He likes to ruin it for others, ever since he retired his input has only been towards killing the game (I usually don't take his posts seriously).

[Mar 10, 2019 3:38:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

The point of GD, from the beginning, was to invite player collaboration with developers. They wanted us to suggest improvements to the design of the game, which would then be considered for inclusion on releases by developers.

Since there are no developers left to monitor these forums, and since they are no longer writing code to update the server or client software, and there have been no code releases for over seven months, it would seem that any suggestions made here by players or other forum users are utterly in vain. Why suggest improvements to code which will not be heard, not be implemented, and not be released? It is essentially false advertising for Grey Havens to have an open forum, saying "hey, send us your GD suggestions!" when on their side there is nothing but a deaf ear.

It would seem that the only way to "ruin it for others" is to hold this forum open, and therefore deceive players into believing that their GD suggestions may be heard. On the contrary, I would respect the honesty and candor of Grey Havens if they should decide to come clean, admit that our GD suggestions will not be heard, and close this forum to new posts, so that we are no longer misled, believing that discussion here will bear fruit.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Mar 11, 2019 1:20:39 PM]
[Mar 11, 2019 1:18:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The point of GD, from the beginning, was to invite player collaboration with developers. They wanted us to suggest improvements to the design of the game, which would then be considered for inclusion on releases by developers.

Since there are no developers left to monitor these forums, and since they are no longer writing code to update the server or client software, and there have been no code releases for over seven months, it would seem that any suggestions made here by players or other forum users are utterly in vain. Why suggest improvements to code which will not be heard, not be implemented, and not be released? It is essentially false advertising for Grey Havens to have an open forum, saying "hey, send us your GD suggestions!" when on their side there is nothing but a deaf ear.

It would seem that the only way to "ruin it for others" is to hold this forum open, and therefore deceive players into believing that their GD suggestions may be heard. On the contrary, I would respect the honesty and candor of Grey Havens if they should decide to come clean, admit that our GD suggestions will not be heard, and close this forum to new posts, so that we are no longer misled, believing that discussion here will bear fruit.

If you don't value this board, quit reading it.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Mar 13, 2019 11:17:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What value do you see this board having, since its express purpose was always a channel for players to suggest improvements to the game design, and have them implemented? Do you enjoy spitting in the wind? Do you enjoy your voice falling on deaf ears? Seriously, please tell us: what value do YOU find in posting to Game Design? What return on investment will you realize here?

And what purpose do you fulfill by flaming me, the messenger? Why be all butthurt, because I am voicing an inconvenient truth? It may save others from wondering why their ideas have not been taken seriously.
[Mar 13, 2019 11:50:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

What value do you see this board having, since its express purpose was always a channel for players to suggest improvements to the game design, and have them implemented? Do you enjoy spitting in the wind? Do you enjoy your voice falling on deaf ears? Seriously, please tell us: what value do YOU find in posting to Game Design? What return on investment will you realize here?.

People enjoy writing fanfic and historical fiction. If people want to type up what-if stuff, it doesn't hurt you.

It would be nice if someone from GH would make a note of that in the forum description and update the yppedia article ringer, but there may be no one left that knows how to do that.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Mar 13, 2019 12:58:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

What value do you see this board having, since its express purpose was always a channel for players to suggest improvements to the game design, and have them implemented? Do you enjoy spitting in the wind? Do you enjoy your voice falling on deaf ears? Seriously, please tell us: what value do YOU find in posting to Game Design? What return on investment will you realize here?

And what purpose do you fulfill by flaming me, the messenger? Why be all butthurt, because I am voicing an inconvenient truth? It may save others from wondering why their ideas have not been taken seriously.

Mate closing the most major forum post , will turn many players off, stop trying to kill the game. +1 to majestrate

[Mar 13, 2019 1:14:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

What value do you see this board having, since its express purpose was always a channel for players to suggest improvements to the game design, and have them implemented? Do you enjoy spitting in the wind? Do you enjoy your voice falling on deaf ears? Seriously, please tell us: what value do YOU find in posting to Game Design? What return on investment will you realize here?.

People enjoy writing fanfic and historical fiction. If people want to type up what-if stuff, it doesn't hurt you.

It would be nice if someone from GH would make a note of that in the forum description and update the yppedia article ringer, but there may be no one left that knows how to do that.

It would seem that the equivalent of "writing fanfic" for a game such as this one would be thus: fork the code and open our own servers.

Three Rings was a huge initial supporter of F/OSS and open-sourced their libraries. It would be an amazing show of good faith and trust in the F/OSS community, if Grey Havens released all server and client code under an open-source license and enabled independent providers to run their own oceans.

Under a scenario of open-sourced client and server code, the Game Design forum would serve as a true central point of collaboration amongst independent programmers and players who wish to provide a superior game-play experience to future generations of pirates. I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
[Mar 13, 2019 1:32:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Flaming you? Butthurt? Your trolling skills are higher than that, do better, be better.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Mar 13, 2019 7:35:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Flaming you? Butthurt? Your trolling skills are higher than that, do better, be better.

+1

[Mar 13, 2019 7:46:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Detail8

Any suggestions proffered by the player base for improvements in gameplay or design, or even addition of art assets, seem to be pointless if there have been no updates or releases for over seven months. I can understand if Grey Havens is reluctant to commit themselves to official pronouncements about this, but it seems unkinder to leave us to read the tea leaves and wonder where exactly we are headed with this.

100% agree with this
Captain of Grand Unification(emerald) Retired
Captain of Sea Sick(dark seas)
#1 : Obsidian Greeter
[Mar 16, 2019 9:38:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates