• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 607 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Leverh7

Commodities Spawn on Non-Market Bidding Islands Reply to this Post

Hi all,

I have a simple question regarding the spawning of commodities on islands without a market bid system. For example, my research has indicated that Tellurium spawns on Auk Island. I can't seem to figure out how to actually acquire it from the island though since theres no bidding system like the larger islands. Are you just supposed to pillage near the island and steal it from pirates? TIA.
[Feb 4, 2019 8:57:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Commodities Spawn on Non-Market Bidding Islands Reply to this Post

On islands that aren't colonized (have a market or fort), the game puts commodities on "merchant brigand" ships and those ships sail the commods to colonized islands and sell them on the dockside market to whoever is buying them. You can intercept these ships and pillage them of their goods, but most of them just sail to the destination islands untouched.

In order to get you must have high enough dockside buy prices to be sold these commods when the merchant brigand comes in. You don't need to have the highest price, or even be ties to the highest price. For example if 3 stores are buying 20 units of tellurium @ 40 PoE each, while you are the next highest buyer at 100@38PoE, and a merchant ships comes in with 150 units of tellurium, it will sell 60 units to those higher priced buyers and 90 units to you.

Which island the merchant brigand will actually sail to is not well understood. Obviously, if an island is only buying tellurium for 20PoE, or only buying 10 units (no matter what the price), then the game will almost never send merchant ships there. On the other hand, if most of the merchant ship is filled with some other commodities that spawns on the same island, it will look at the whole basket of commodities and might end up selling a little bit cheaply.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 4, 2019 9:50:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leverh7

Awesome. Thanks for the reply! That makes sense. I may try to tailor my pillages every now and then to target routes with my desired commodity
[Feb 4, 2019 12:25:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leverh7

Are merchants typically harder to beat? We were on a 5-0 run and I found a yellow merchant so I engaged. I ended the bnav up 4-1 and we started the SF. I got insta'ed pretty early on and we ended up losing while the merchant had 6/7 SFers remaining.
[Feb 5, 2019 8:49:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Yes, merchants are typically quite a bit stronger than most brigands (unless you're used to doing elite pillages).
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Feb 6, 2019 3:40:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates