• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 48
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10134 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

EGG Design Contest 2019! Design Furniture for the Game [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

EGGS, EGGS EGGS!
It's always a good time to design EGGS!

Here's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game! We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game!

Remember that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, make sure to mention this as well or we'll choose for you! (Please note that the arrrtists reserve the right to make the final a ruling in this matter.)
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs, until the deadline.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as imgur.com, imageshack.com, photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Other rules and guidelines:
-- You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries . You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs since 2006.
--Make sure to check the second post for "Tips and tricks and links and things"!

The deadline for egg designs is Thursday, March 7thMarch 8th, 2019 - 11:59 PM game time.
NOTICE: Due to forum downtime, deadline is extended to Friday, March 8th at 11:59 PM game time!

If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it. Go forth and lay eggs!

----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 21, 2019 11:00:47 PM]
[Feb 1, 2019 10:25:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: EGG Design Contest 2019! Design Furniture for the Game [Deadline March 7] Reply to this Post

Tips and tricks and links and things:

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!
2019: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2019 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2018: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2018 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2017: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2017 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2016: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2016 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2015: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2015 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2014: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2014 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2013: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2013 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2012: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2012 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2011: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2011 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2010: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2010 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2009: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2009 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2008: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2008 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2007: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2007 rendering test thread
2006: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2006 rendering test thread

TUTORIALS!
-- YPPedia Egg Design page
-- YPPedia Helpful art tutorials and resources
-- Faeree's Egg Layout Design Tutorial
-- Faeree's 3DS Max Tutorial 2018

RENDERING!
In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. Review the rendering threads from previous years so you can see the designs that were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, it's linked from Egg#Competition_files . You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender).
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

-- We already have a rendering thread right here! (Big thanks to Faeree and Greyladyy!)

If there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Eggomelet wouldn't be the same without you all!
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 5, 2019 5:36:55 PM]
[Feb 1, 2019 10:28:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Re: EGG Design Contest 2019! Design Furniture for the Game [Deadline March 7] Reply to this Post

@Etrigan. I LOVE your Tartan Egg!
Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Wayfarer
[Feb 14, 2019 4:31:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dynasty666

Thanks. :D I think it turned out pretty good.
~Etrigan on Emerald~
[Feb 14, 2019 7:29:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wobblysquab

Ooooooh! Stoked me and my illness haven't missed this! Now, what to do... (do we have a sheep egg yet?!?)

Also, Greylady's entries are making me smile as always. :D
Squabbles/Lacklustre/Wobblysquab on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Wobblysquab at Feb 17, 2019 5:45:15 AM]
[Feb 17, 2019 5:44:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Now, what to do... (do we have a sheep egg yet?!?)

Yep, afraid so...but you can always try again??

Also, Greylady's entries are making me smile as always. :D

Thank ye!
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Feb 17, 2019 7:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Squabbles. In the following link you can see ALL the eggs that have made it in the game so far
EGGS

@ Shuckle. Your images don't show well on the forum pages. To show the picture image use [img]direct link from postimage[img]

[Feb 17, 2019 12:56:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@Herowena.
Please don't give up on that ring egg! It looks good <3

[Feb 22, 2019 10:43:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

@Herowena.

Thanks! Your greedy egg covers the jewel contingent nicely, though.
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

Dexla drew it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by joandart at Feb 22, 2019 1:20:38 PM]
[Feb 22, 2019 1:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@Herowena.

Not sure if I have the energy and skill to finish that one properly

[Feb 24, 2019 9:26:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

@Herowena.

Not sure if I have the energy and skill to finish that one properly

I know that feeling, but I hope you get a second wind.
Herowena of Cerulean

Dexla drew it.
[Feb 24, 2019 11:41:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arfu

Huh. I just looked through the winning eggs and it seems like I did one pretty similar to Bohemond's chocolate glaze egg :( Should i take it down?
[Mar 2, 2019 9:48:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Huh. I just looked through the winning eggs and it seems like I did one pretty similar to Bohemond's chocolate glaze egg :( Should i take it down?

There is nothing that says you can't have a similar entry, but since a similar one was chosen just this past year your entry may be less likely to be selected. However, that is just a guess. One thing I've learned over the years is I NEVER know exactly what the Arrrtists are looking for...otherwise I'd have mine selected every year! :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 2, 2019 12:51:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arfu

Okay.. thanks! I guess I'll keep it up then.

By the way, I love your animal-themed eggs! :D
[Mar 3, 2019 7:24:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

By the way, I love your animal-themed eggs! :D
Thanks!

[Mar 3, 2019 7:31:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

@ Arianne. I hope your tree-egg will be entered in the competition and win, it's gorgeous

[Mar 3, 2019 11:49:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@Captainkblue - please check your PM's.

For everyone, thanks for the entries! Deadline is tomorrow if you have any more entries or updates. Please remember to include your pirate name and ocean in your entry post.

Thank ye all and good luck!

[Mar 6, 2019 4:22:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Thanks, Greylady and Faeree. Your rendering services are invaluable!
Herowena of Cerulean

Dexla drew it.
[Mar 6, 2019 7:22:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lady_maeror

Thanks Bis :) I love the greedy necklace! That’s come up really well!
Aeyelle of the Viridian Meridian Ocean
Arianne of the Obsidian Ocean
[Mar 6, 2019 7:28:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Good luck everyone, and many thanks to the renderers!
Zapa of Emerald
[Mar 7, 2019 3:09:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Good Lord, there are so many AMAZING entries!
They will have a hard time choosing again this year!!!

[Mar 7, 2019 4:37:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

Vanleigh, How did you get your egg render so big?
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 9:01:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

Thanks Bis :) I love the greedy necklace! That?s come up really well!

It is coming out really nicely. How many renders did it take?
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 9:04:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

Good luck everyone, and many thanks to the renderers!

Thanks for the best wishes!
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 9:05:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

Hope everyone had fun who entered. For me I like art, but it was trying my patience. I abandoned several eggs because they wouldn't egg-up. Good luck to all those who entered. Three cheers for our egg renderers!
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 9:09:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanleigh

Been using Blender for that, there's atutorial for rendering on the forums here.

It's more of a matter of me not really knowing what I was doing, I'm really not used to these tools.
Vanleigh in Obsidian
Royal of Placeholder

If my posts do not reflect the views of the flag, the mind control chip provided to all our members will ensure that our views shift accordingly.
[Mar 7, 2019 9:28:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

Been using Blender for that, there's atutorial for rendering on the forums here.

It's more of a matter of me not really knowing what I was doing, I'm really not used to these tools.

It's ok I'm still using paint after all these years lol!
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 9:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Thanks Bis :) I love the greedy necklace! That?s come up really well!

It is coming out really nicely. How many renders did it take?

Errrr, I think the final result took 24 renders?

[Mar 7, 2019 9:35:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

That's a lot of renders. I don't have the patience for that.
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 11:37:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basium

I didnt know people voted for eggs... I feel let down. I coulda been voting for people.
Born on Cobalt
[Mar 7, 2019 3:07:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates