• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2480 times and has 1 reply Next Thread
LJAmethyst

FTC to investigate Loot Boxes Reply to this Post

Dear Diary,

I am not sure how much the issue has been addressed here, but anyone who plays Steam very much is aware that "Loot Boxes" are increasingly controversial, vis-a-vis government regulation of "gambling".

Now, it should be fairly clear that Puzzle Pirates loot boxes cannot be considered "play-to-win" but rather are limited to "dollhousing" (unless you think you can win a blockade with your fleet of wine war brigs.)

But nonetheless, after some bannination in other nations, it seems that the United States are going to weigh in on their legality and possible regulation.

I feel that it is a shame that games need to prey on addiction and compulsion in order to make ends meet. It seems like a cheap way to compete with a vast array of digital preoccupation: instead of making something fun to play, make it impossible to put down.

Dollhousing never meant all that much to me. As soon as I joined in 2006, I saw the hand writing on the wall when "pets" were introduced. Ironically, one of my last acts was to put together a totally non-functional but very pretty "chapel" based on the Haunted Pipe Organ. But for me, the central attraction had always been playing fun puzzles while I hung out with my friends.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 29, 2018 1:13:57 PM]
[Nov 28, 2018 9:36:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Re: FTC to investigate Loot Boxes Reply to this Post

Missing the "Dear Diary," part in the beginning of the post.
[Nov 29, 2018 5:15:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates