• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 884 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
jimby_0112

Go to Stronghold - Obsidian Reply to this Post

Can we get a warning on the Go to Stronghold button?

It is very easy to click by mistake, this has only really been an issue for me in the last week or so, while running a Haunted Seas and my MAA fell off the ship after clicking on it by mistake though I am sure a lot of people have suffered from this in the past
----------------------------------------
Jimbycool
King of Amateur Hour
[Nov 28, 2018 7:08:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Re: Go to Stronghold - Obsidian Reply to this Post

I'd be against this - the less clicks required to do something, the better. I find warning dialogues to be infuriating.
[Nov 28, 2018 10:14:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Can we get a warning on the Go to Stronghold button?

It is very easy to click by mistake, this has only really been an issue for me in the last week or so, while running a Haunted Seas and my MAA fell off the ship after clicking on it by mistake though I am sure a lot of people have suffered from this in the past

He should just admit that he made a mistake, not finding ideas to hide that mistake. Make sure for a future run you have a reliable MAA.
Stan is a true hero.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans (Jade/Opal/Meridian), all those wasted new players :/

Seal Event is pointless, because people just use 20+ alts on Grand Frigates against sloops.
[Nov 28, 2018 12:15:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

He should just admit that he made a mistake, not finding ideas to hide that mistake. Make sure for a future run you have a reliable MAA.

That's terrible logic. If you put the delete pirate button next to the login button, and made them exactly the same style and colour, eventually someone is going to click it. Yes they will have made a mistake, but it could have been avoided with a better design choice.

I agree with the OP, although the confirmation would only be needed when you are not in a situation you can easily return to; specifically in battle or SMH.
To suggest an alternative, you could require the user to double-click the button, it wouldn't make it more effort, but would make it harder to do accidentally, which is clearly what matters here.
Jjc on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Nov 28, 2018 3:31:21 PM]
[Nov 28, 2018 3:29:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I agree with the OP, although the confirmation would only be needed when you are not in a situation you can easily return to; specifically in battle or SMH.
To suggest an alternative, you could require the user to double-click the button, it wouldn't make it more effort, but would make it harder to do accidentally, which is clearly what matters here.

Or just don't allow the button to be clickable while in a battle (pillage/flotilla/blockade) or SMH; if possible
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Nov 28, 2018 3:54:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Its not in a great place, it could be moved/disabled or asked 2 click whisk isn't so bad.

It is odd when you click the boats on the dock it asks but in your crew tab its instant.

Maybe place Faction strongholds above the go home button.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Nov 28, 2018 4:17:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Or just don't allow the button to be clickable while in a battle (pillage/flotilla/blockade) or SMH; if possible

+1
Jjc on Emerald
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Nov 28, 2018 4:18:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

+1. This should probably extend to the Go Home button too. That's arguably just as easy (if not easier since you can't collapse it away) to click and auto-whisk.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Nov 28, 2018 9:25:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

+1. This should probably extend to the Go Home button too. That's arguably just as easy (if not easier since you can't collapse it away) to click and auto-whisk.

Wasn't that, like, the only way to get off a ship when you didn't want to be there? Should we force people to log out instead?
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Nov 28, 2018 9:57:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Wasn't that, like, the only way to get off a ship when you didn't want to be there? Should we force people to log out instead?

/e shrugs. It's just a consistency thing since they're both auto-whisks without confirmation. If there's actually discussion about an auto-whisk button which can be collapsed and hidden away, surely the Go Home button deserves (at least) equal treatment.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Nov 28, 2018 10:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

That's terrible logic. If you put the delete pirate button next to the login button, and made them exactly the same style and colour, eventually someone is going to click it. Yes they will have made a mistake, but it could have been avoided with a better design choice.

Its realistic logic for not hiding behind excuses. The game has bad design overall which hasn't been updated and probably will never be which I do agree with you.

+1
Stan is a true hero.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans (Jade/Opal/Meridian), all those wasted new players :/

Seal Event is pointless, because people just use 20+ alts on Grand Frigates against sloops.
[Nov 28, 2018 11:22:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The game has bad design overall which hasn't been updated and probably will never be which I do agree with you.

Everything can be improved upon, but to say that the game is badly designed is incorrect. I think, generally, the game is intuitive and functions quite well.

This should probably extend to the Go Home button too. That's arguably just as easy (if not easier since you can't collapse it away) to click and auto-whisk.

The difference is that "Go home" is placed in a location that makes it difficult to click by accident while in battle/SMH, where-as "Go to Stronghold" is not.

While I am all for consistency in implementation, having consistency just for consistency's sake is not a good reason to do it.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Nov 29, 2018 7:01:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

There are dozens of buttons in the game, most of which are near something else that you could "accidentally press", and most of them have equally minor consequences. Are we also going to wrap all of those behind this additional click just to further reduce the already <0.01% chance somebody presses the wrong thing?
[Nov 29, 2018 9:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

The difference is that "Go home" is placed in a location that makes it difficult to click by accident while in battle/SMH, where-as "Go to Stronghold" is not.

It's on the crew tab. Why do you have the crew tab (or anything except vessel/ahoy, really) open when in battle or on an SMH?
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Nov 29, 2018 9:27:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

It's on the crew tab. Why do you have the crew tab (or anything except vessel/ahoy, really) open when in battle or on an SMH?

That's just playing the blame game again. The fact of the matter is people do it. I've never heard of someone miss-clicking the go home button. But I'm easily into double figures of the numbers of people I've seen/heard of accidentally clicking the "go to stronghold" button in the small time frame since we've had it, I've even done it once myself. Either moving it to the "Ye" tab, or disabling it in battle isn't really that much to ask. I do however disagree with changing the go home button at all.
Jjc on Emerald
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Nov 29, 2018 6:35:33 PM]
[Nov 29, 2018 10:38:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

There are dozens of buttons in the game, most of which are near something else that you could "accidentally press", and most of them have equally minor consequences. Are we also going to wrap all of those behind this additional click just to further reduce the already <0.01% chance somebody presses the wrong thing?

Might be minor consequences to you, but plenty of jobbers wouldn't agree it was minor if the only O+ on a ship accidentally left in battle and they lose everything they'd worked for.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Nov 29, 2018 11:29:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates