• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 404 times and has 10 replies
Ryanford350

Jinxed Idol mystery solved?

after 12 years...

I distinctly noted that I was the sole pirate on that ocean at the time which has never happened. Logged on again and, boom- the award.

K, so... WHAT DO I WIN??

...cough, black gator? Awe y'all shouldn't have, cough...
----------------------------------------
PoE

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Oct 11, 2018 11:38:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Re: Jinxed Idol mystery solved?

Is this reproducible?
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Oct 11, 2018 3:04:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

I've been on by myself before (on Opal and Jade) and have never received the trophy. I'm pretty sure this isn't mystery solved.
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian

[Oct 11, 2018 5:25:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Is this reproducible?

Always an important question

From my testing, no.

My best guess is that, similar to monster frays randomly spawn several times per day, every once and a while, the next person to log on will get the Jinx Idol trophy. This explains the lack of any obvious trigger, including the number of people who are once (13 is a popular guess), the time of day (logging on at 13 minutes after the hour, etc.) or anything else. It also explains why more people on oceans like Ice have it, because there are fewer people who play those oceans.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Oct 11, 2018 6:28:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

I've been on by myself before (on Opal and Jade) and have never received the trophy. I'm pretty sure this isn't mystery solved.

The times i've gotten it, Sage had 300+ people on, or just a random day with 100+ in Malachite

Edit:
Of course how post before says, Oceans with less people have a higher chance of many more pirates getting.
Why? I believe it has to do with odds
like a percentage / ammount of people in the ocean

So, more people in an ocean, the odds of obtaining it is higher
Yumisa World Wide ;)
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hikariks at Oct 11, 2018 9:27:54 PM]
[Oct 11, 2018 9:26:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Of course how post before says, Oceans with less people have a higher chance of many more pirates getting.
Why? I believe it has to do with odds
like a percentage / ammount of people in the ocean

So, more people in an ocean, the odds of obtaining it is higher

This can actually be, to a degree, tested by doing something like Shinito's trophy surevey. Shinto only looked at Emerald, while such a test would need to do several oceans.

I stand by my claim that the lower the population of an ocean is, the more likely a given pirate is to get the jinxed idol. For example, despite not playing on Ice much and that you can only log onto Ice if you are subscribed, 5 of my 24 alts have a jinxed idol, while the ocean I played most on, cerulean, only has 3 (of 111) alts with the jinxed idol.

If someone is interested in doing serious research, you could go through the trophy speculation threads and update Jinxed Idol Speculation yppedia article. Pay special attention to my example of a rarely used alt with the jinxed idol. As I explain in that post and followups, that particular alt did almost nothing that could have been a trigger, I have a complete, and extremely short, history of what it did. That example acts as a counter example of almost every theory that has been proposed.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Oct 12, 2018 7:40:00 AM]
[Oct 12, 2018 7:34:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Halfbrain5

For not so serious research purposes:
I tend to lose track of alts and delete them a lot but I have none with jinxed idol on Emerald or Meridian (at least 1 on each ocean before the mergers played enough to get illustrious in a few duty puzzles), at least 6 on Ice, 3 out of 10 on Opal, 1 out of 4 on Jade, and at least 18, most awarded since the merger, (about half minions) on Cerulean.
Born on Midnight and never want to leave

Doggbreath, Rogues Riding Sell me your ink! any Cerulean island 500/unit

Yer daily horoscope reads: Investing in insane dogs will result in good health.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Halfbrain5 at Oct 12, 2018 11:38:04 AM]
[Oct 12, 2018 11:36:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Every time I've gotten it (3 or 4 times) I was not the only pirate online. Twice it was on Emerald during moderately busy login times.

Every time I *was* the only pirate online, I have never gotten it.

Not reproducible. By this point, I'm convinced it's truly random.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Oct 12, 2018 12:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ryanford350

Every time I've gotten it (3 or 4 times) I was not the only pirate online. Twice it was on Emerald during moderately busy login times.

*sighs... agreed- so does this mean no gator?
PoE

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Oct 12, 2018 8:14:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

*sighs... agreed- so does this mean no gator?

This is as much as i can give you pal
Yumisa World Wide ;)
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hikariks at Oct 12, 2018 9:11:55 PM]
[Oct 12, 2018 9:11:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

To keep Tips & Tricks from being flooded, and to reduce accidental spoilers, all discussion and speculation regarding Trophies should be placed in this thread.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Oct 13, 2018 3:57:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates