• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 269 times and has 4 replies
majestrate

Consideration For Renames Reply to this Post

This thread is somewhat driven by a specific request I made for a rename, but I believe it applies to all renames.

I understand that custom renames reference dictionary.com and that proper nouns without additional definitions will be denied. My issue is how a proper noun is being determined.

My rename request included "Anole" as part of the custom rename. I did open a petition regarding this issue, but I referenced articles to show that "anole" isn't a proper noun. Understandably, I was told that only dictionary.com is used when determining whether the rename falls within the renaming guidelines. I do not take issue with this requirement

I am using this thread to describe how I believe you can tell, on dictionary.com, if a noun is truly a proper noun. If you look at "anole", it is listed in all lowercase letters with no reference to the first letter being capitalized.

But if you look at America, Earth, Enterprise, or Europe, you'll notice that the entry is either listed with the first letter capitalized (America and Europe). You could also see a reference that the first letter is often capitalized (Earth). Lastly, you could see a reference that shows specific instances where the first letter is capitalized (Enterprise).

If GH employees consider any of my logic to be faulty, I would like to understand where I'm wrong so that I can take that information into account on future rename requests.

Thank you,
maj
----------------------------------------
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Vas wrote: 
can you add another quote to your signature? "Maj is a liability on the forums. Someone stop him"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 16, 2018 1:41:12 PM]
[Sep 16, 2018 1:39:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Re: Consideration For Renames Reply to this Post

This thread is somewhat driven by a specific request I made for a rename, but I believe it applies to all renames.

I understand that custom renames reference dictionary.com and that proper nouns without additional definitions will be denied. My issue is how a proper noun is being determined.

My rename request included "Anole" as part of the custom rename. I did open a petition regarding this issue, but I referenced articles to show that "anole" isn't a proper noun. Understandably, I was told that only dictionary.com is used when determining whether the rename falls within the renaming guidelines. I do not take issue with this requirement

I am using this thread to describe how I believe you can tell, on dictionary.com, if a noun is truly a proper noun. If you look at "anole", it is listed in all lowercase letters with no reference to the first letter being capitalized.

But if you look at America, Earth, Enterprise, or Europe, you'll notice that the entry is either listed with the first letter capitalized (America and Europe). You could also see a reference that the first letter is often capitalized (Earth). Lastly, you could see a reference that shows specific instances where the first letter is capitalized (Enterprise).

If GH employees consider any of my logic to be faulty, I would like to understand where I'm wrong so that I can take that information into account on future rename requests.

Thank you,
maj

Anole

noun

"a small, mainly arboreal American lizard with a throat fan that (in the male) is typically brightly coloured. Anoles have some ability to change colour."

Seems to me you got screwed over....
Heckle

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!

Greedy bashing is the result of no SMHs! (remove officer badge when greedy bashing is ovar)
[Sep 16, 2018 7:32:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I wouldn't say I got screwed over. I understand why the decision was made, I just think this particular rename falls into a grey area. If that's incorrect on my part, then so be it.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

Vas wrote: 
can you add another quote to your signature? "Maj is a liability on the forums. Someone stop him"

[Sep 16, 2018 10:29:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

It's their logic that doesn't make sense.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/proper-noun?s=t

No where in the dictionary.com definition does it specify that "anole" is a name given to a particular lizard, but in fact it says "numerous" lizards.

Fight it Maj!!! Sometimes they have to admit that they're just wrong.
Dexla d'Midnight
[Sep 17, 2018 11:48:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I agree with your take on Anole. But I'm not trying to fight anything, I've petitioned a reevaluation of the rules so that pronouns can be more obviously defined when using dictionary.com.

Even if the rules get modified to account for my request, there's still the chance that my follow-up rename won't get approved. Which is fine, as long as I understand the logic/rules definition behind the denial, even if it's something (not so) "murky" as "Spirit of the Game".
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

Vas wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 18, 2018 10:36:17 AM]
[Sep 18, 2018 10:35:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates