• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 500 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
hidemyhoney

How Greedy bashing has killed SMH activity (not KH) Reply to this Post

I've returned for a couple of days, checking how everything is. I've noticed there has really been no SMHs at all, while greedy bashing on Grand Frigates have picked up quite a bit which is a bit sad.

My original suggestion was to increase swabbies up to 35-45 on a Grand Frig, but I was ignored and was gone up to 75. So therefore players could farm greedies for some easy cash.

My solutions:

1. Either reduce greedy purses completely to make less incentive to farm greedies

2. Decrease swabbies on a ship, since players have been complaining about 14 v 40 on a baghlah against a xebec or something, which I do completely agree. Make it more challenging for players to maintain a ship with less swabbies, 14 with a Grand Frigate was 99.95% impossible to run it, while 35 makes it around 90%? my maths is bad.

So really, these profits have been covered in greedy bashing posts before, which has made a major impact on the game itself, therefore giving very low incentive or making it harder to load SMHs, when a player can easily go on a GF get some buddies and camp greedies all day (which results have been posted before on profits). I personally think this should of been tested on Ice, and Ice should be opened up to players more, since only people can test it that don't even play on the main oceans at all. You cannot add swabbies to SMHs until this situation is resolved or the game will entirely die off quicker.

Or we can go to Solution 3, which is whatever you guys think, can save SMHs or is it too late?
----------------------------------------
Heckle

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!

Greedy bashing is the result of no SMHs! (remove officer badge when greedy bashing is ovar)
[Sep 14, 2018 7:14:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sovereignty

Re: How Greedy bashing has killed SMH activity (not KH) Reply to this Post

hidemyhoney wrote: 
You cannot add swabbies to SMHs until this situation is resolved or the game will entirely die off quicker.

Why do you think this to be true?

Wouldn't it be fair to say if we added swabbies to SMH's that it would fix the specific problem cited in your title post?

I mean if swabbies were instantly made available to people who wanted to run SMH's it's far more likely more people would actually run them.

That's not to say I don't agree with you that pillaging needs a fix (The other thread addressing this is a good source of information about that), but I still don't see eye to eye with you on the premise I quoted above.

It's easy to see why greedy bashing is more popular then jobbing (or running) a large ship based SMH is. That being said I don't think it's the reason there is a decline in those voyages being run.

The decrease in player population, coupled with how anti-player and time consuming they can be are far more likely culprits in my opinion.

Standard pillaging absolutely needs to be looked at and fixed, but I definitely do not agree that we can't have SMH swabbies until greedy bashing is addressed. I don't see the two being related all that much.

If there's anything missing though, I'd love to hear it.
[Sep 14, 2018 8:10:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Can we please not ask nerf anything anymore? There are still pillagers out there grinding the normal way who shouldn't have their meagre source of income punished. Other than fixing the phantom swabbie issue with regular pillages, the SMH problem is on the heads of those running it. If you're good at something or you can at least make your voyages somewhat interesting, people will job for you. When people start running SMHs worth going on, people will job for them.
[Sep 14, 2018 8:13:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Why do you think this to be true?

Look at the Noticeboard, how many SMHs have been run? not very many before swabbies were increased on pillages.

Wouldn't it be fair to say if we added swabbies to SMH's that it would fix the specific problem cited in your title post?

Its better to address current problems, such as greedy bashing because of increased swabbies', than to fix the additional swabbies towards SMHs. Greedy Bashing has lowered the value of anyone running any legitimate pillages giving less incentive for people who actually job anyone for a good time, while others just get on big ships with 2-3 people and make 10x more profit against an average pillager.

That's not to say I don't agree with you that pillaging needs a fix (The other thread addressing this is a good source of information about that), but I still don't see eye to eye with you on the premise I quoted above.

If skilled swabbies were added to SMHs today, people will most likely do exactly the same thing with pillages, Greedy bashing instead of bashing lavish lockers they will most likely bash ACs or SCs. Then a new term will be in place called AC bashing or SC bashing. There is already Alt bashing, Owl Bashing, Lobster bashing and Greedy bashing, any source of bashing on this game gets very frowned on, which is fairly true but smarter pirates find any way to exploit anything on a game.

Can we please not ask nerf anything anymore? There are still pillagers out there grinding the normal way who shouldn't have their meagre source of income punished. Other than fixing the phantom swabbie issue with regular pillages, the SMH problem is on the heads of those running it. If you're good at something or you can at least make your voyages somewhat interesting, people will job for you. When people start running SMHs worth going on, people will job for them.

Luckily I stated options/possible solutions but your Nerfing part I can agree with, swabbies do need decreasing not all the way but to prevent Greedy bashing at least and phantom.
Heckle

Greedy bashing is the result of no SMHs! (remove officer badge when greedy bashing is ovar)
[Sep 14, 2018 9:36:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Atlantis has been out for eleven years now and the only major change it really had was to make it slightly more balanced for smaller ships eight years ago. It's become stale.

Haunted Seas was never fun for anybody but the navigator to begin with. Cursed isles & KH are still very much alive.

Your proposals wouldn't stop SMHs from being "dead", they'd just kill the game itself that little bit more. The last time I jobbed on a SMH and had fun was many years ago, all you've really proposed is taking away an activity that's actually getting people logging on and playing the game again.
[Sep 15, 2018 1:39:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

What kills large ship SMHs is that they're a big fat grind with a predominately single point of failure. Swabbies ain't going to fix that.

That said, I've got nothing against someone wanting to suicide a load of frigs by going in bot-loaded. Good for the shipbuilding economy.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Sep 15, 2018 5:24:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

@hidemyhoney.
Your enthusiasm regarding the suggestions and everything GD is quite amusing, jeez look at that post count. Ouf. I sort of gave up suggesting stuff and hoping for improvements right after the Owl Saga. Maybe you should too. Get a ps4, play those damn awesome single player experiences. Hell yeah, even a single player game is better than this cesspool.

Also why you hatin' on fortnite? The game aside, what those devs have accomplished is something worth of legends. A cross-play environment between Pc-Xbox-Ps ( who gaf about Nintendo and their shit). One would think that would be the "standard" for all modern games now but here we are still in the platform war coz marketing.. o_O
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Sep 16, 2018 4:43:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Your enthusiasm regarding the suggestions and everything GD is quite amusing, jeez look at that post count.

Thanks, yeah I know too many arguements :/

Sort of gave up suggesting stuff and hoping for improvements right after the Owl Saga. Maybe you should too. Get a ps4, play those damn awesome single player experiences. Hell yeah, even a single player game is better than this cesspool.

I don't really blame you, just more messes get created, sooner or later SMH bashing will happen. Single player sounds good to me :D

Also why you hatin' on fortnite?

Never really got into it, but at least it actually doesn't neglect its playerbase.

The game aside, what those devs have accomplished is something worth of legends. A cross-play environment between Pc-Xbox-Ps ( who gaf about Nintendo and their shit). One would think that would be the "standard" for all modern games now but here we are still in the platform war coz marketing.. o_O

+1
Heckle

[Sep 16, 2018 4:54:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nekhbet

I don't think these two issues are really related. HS was the only active big ship SMH when I returned to game in March and was on a steady decline since then. The problem with HS is that it's boring as shit, and pays even worse. There's no point in taking 1-3 hours to load for like, 8-20k payout.

Greedy bashing has been a fun update IMO, and it wasn't even planned.
[Sep 17, 2018 4:10:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

I don't think these two issues are really related. HS was the only active big ship SMH when I returned to game in March and was on a steady decline since then. The problem with HS is that it's boring as barnacle, and pays even worse. There's no point in taking 1-3 hours to load for like, 8-20k payout.

Greedy bashing has been a fun update IMO, and it wasn't even planned.

?

HS payout is fine. If you're getting 8-20k you're likely unlucky (awarded 0 chests, chests in HS pay a lot) or your navver wasn't doing too well (or the trip was short, but why would it be). It's probably the highest paying SMH right now (maybe not counting KH but I don't do that so I can't judge it) and since the swabbies update broke proper pillages that doesn't match it anymore either. The load time and time spent in HS itself (yay, puzzle for 3.5 hours straight) do suck.

Also, where's the fun you're having on greedy bashes? You literally sit there doing absolutely nothing for 10-15 minutes, do a fight (which you could argue as fun, fair. it's different from the way you'd normally play) and then do nothing for a while again. The money's great (and a good amount higher than anything else in the game except cades on high-paying cade day) but I don't find the actual activity fun at all.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 18, 2018 12:32:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Also, where's the fun you're having on greedy bashes? You literally sit there doing absolutely nothing for 10-15 minutes...

Personally I do other things in between battles if I'm not dnavving, and I'd imagine the same goes for many others. YPP just isn't one of those games I can focus all of my attention on when I get free time.

I get no enjoyment out of staring at the same ship scene in a HS for the 3+ hours you usually have to commit, alternating between the 2 puzzles I can still tolerate after 12 years of playing, only to earn 20k max at the end of it. Even the "best SMH payout" really doesn't come close to making your time worth it when you consider that 7k in an hour doesn't buy you a single item in the game outside of useless junk.

The autistic excessive grinds are thankfully a thing of the past in gaming and greedy bashing at least somewhat circumvents the excessive part of said grind by offering a reasonable payout in the context of what that amount of PoE can buy you.
[Sep 18, 2018 1:13:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates