• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 38
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3092 times and has 37 replies Next Thread
army545

So where are we heading to? Reply to this Post

So let's take the advertisement part of the game aside, where are we heading to?

Yes, according to the information that we have about Grey Havens, I do want to say thank you for hosting the game, and keeping it alive, but what's the point of the game if you are failing at managing it correctly? From my point of view, it looks like Gray Havens are "stalling" with their games, obviously, Puzzle Pirates, and that Knights game do give them an income, enough to pay the servers, and their employers, but what's the point if everything is staying the same as it was, and just gets worse day after day?

You are expecting a game, that is barely being updated (besides content such as special edition ships, which I personally don't care about), a game with graphic engine that has not been updated since 2003 to grow and develop? You had the chance, when we first hit back to 800 players on Obsidian's release, but these players quickly went off because of the lacking communication between the game developers and the players. We barely get any information, we don't know whats going on behind the scenes. Take a look at popular games, with active player base, daily news posts, daily updates to the game, polls and surveys that let's the players chose what they like and base the updates on what the players want.

But what do we have? I don't really remember the last "real content" update we had. When Obsidian came out, I was enjoying it so much, that I even lost my job because of it. Playing this game with 800 players, is the best thing that I could ever ask for. But I'll be honest, this game became so boring, like what's the point to run another SMH, or another CI or a pillage, if everything is the same every time, you are pillaging, knowing there will be no updates done, and you are playing like a robot that performs the same actions every time.. Ok wow I won a familiar, that's what will make me play more? No.

I don't expect you to think of a content update every week or two, but at-least communicate with the community, let us know what are you guys working on, what is going on behind the scenes, it's really demotivating playing a game, knowing it may shut down at any time, because we are not getting any information, which obviously will lead to that feeling that the game is about to die and close up.

I have developed a blockade simulator, that works very well, I emailed Grey Havens plenty of times about hosting it for the community, because I personally don't want to spend my money to host it for everyone, it's not my game, I developed it for the community use, and I think that's enough. And currently, I don't see myself continuing contributing to the community with my future ideas such as Atlantis simulator and such, because it's not worth it, people are barely playing and enjoying the game as they used to, but they never responded to me.

You are stating that Grey Havens is a non-profit company, so where does the money go to? The money from Dub and subscription purchases, the money from rest of the games, you do pay the employers, you do pay the developers, obviously, because nobody would work for free (unless they do donate their time towards the game, and then it's a different story, but again I have no information because you are not updating us), If the developers get paid, why don't they do their job? launching a new ship edition every week is not a job that a developer does, not even fixing bugs, everyone farms Owl familiars, and the solution for that is so simple, but nobody even cares to fix it, why?

What is going on ?
What about just telling us, what happens behind the scenes, instead of continuing waiting until the game dies and loses it's dedicated community (us veteran players)?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by army545 at Sep 4, 2018 4:15:43 PM]
[Sep 4, 2018 4:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Re: So where are we heading to? Reply to this Post

Those new Obsidian players didn't leave because of a lack of communication, they left because the game is fifteen years old and it's age really shows. The game is at the very end of its lifecycle - being kept alive by the original developers purely because they don't want to see it close. If it was a viable commercial product, Sega wouldn't have axed it to begin with.

Like most things in life, everything comes to an end.
[Sep 4, 2018 5:42:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
army545

Those new Obsidian players didn't leave because of a lack of communication, they left because the game is fifteen years old and it's age really shows. The game is at the very end of its lifecycle - being kept alive by the original developers purely because they don't want to see it close. If it was a viable commercial product, Sega wouldn't have axed it to begin with.

Like most things in life, everything comes to an end.

That's so incorrect.

I don't want to be charged for advertising, but take a look at RS, they updated their graphics every time yes, but they brought back the oldschool version, which is performing even better than it used to be in 2007.

So not everything dies by age, instead, they have improved even more.

Definitely, it's the managed of the game
[Sep 5, 2018 8:15:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I only think the people who left can truly know there reasons that said its far past time for the game to grow or die off. I am just fine if they can make the game better by placing advertisements in it. I will pay the sub fee to have them removed to see the game reach 800 players again.

Regarding lack of communication being why the "new" players left isn't likely the cause most wouldn't have even found the forums or not known that the game wasn't all new if they were truly "new" players.

As far as your Kade Simulator seems that is the most popular part of the game launch it as a stand alone game and people will play it. Add the other ship driving games as well people will play them as well.

As far as where were heading I think they have made it clear, they are trying to develop the new ocean but have made many bootches along the way.... Remember about a year and a half ago the promises made to make efforts to bring life to the other oceans well we haven't' seen on effort that was not Obsidian based.

For the game to truly grow the developers and owners would need to make some changes that many in the game currently would object to, so we have a puzzle game with many many exploits/bots and isn't fun for new people as they can't even afford basic things for free due to a inflated dub market.... so where are we heading? My guess is they are letting the other classic oceans die a slow painful death while hoping the players flock to Obsidian, as school has started back up the numbers of players is depressing, where will we end up> Here next year having the same conversation wishing we had the good old days of 300 players if I had to predict.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Sep 5, 2018 9:54:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

I only think the people who left can truly know there reasons that said its far past time for the game to grow or die off. I am just fine if they can make the game better by placing advertisements in it.

Just chiming in to render a functional opinion here.

The instant advertisements are stuck into this insecure-by-age-alone infrastructure is the instant that I, despite my interest in contributing to it, would instantly and immediately drop it like a ticking time bomb.

There's a litany of security issues and reasons for doing so that have nothing to do with being offended at advertisements and everything to do with not wanting my computer slaved and farming Monero.
[Sep 5, 2018 11:10:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

It's been said before in a few ways but I'll say it again clearly: We don't know for sure why people quit. We also don't know if the game is or is not profitable.

Without more information about the backend we simply can't know, and any attempts to assume are frankly quite pointless.

That being said the fact that there aren't a lot of people working on the game, or that it's somehow sinking isn't an excuse for the lack of communication. I 100% agree with OP, we NEED more communication (And I've made a post months ago asking for just that).

The landscape of gaming has changed. Communication is paramount. Indie studios comprised of a single dev can manage titles far more popular than this while updating and informing their player bases once a month or more.

Yet pp has nothing of the sort. If a new player landed on the steam forums to inquire about the game, what new post would they see?

That's the whole problem. I don't think people would leave if there was something to look forward to, but as it stands no one has any idea whats in the works.

Are we ever going to get a new SMH? Is there another ship being worked on? What bugs/issues are being addressed? What about the plethora of other game design suggestions that have no developer response?

There's no reason to be secretive over this. Hell in this day and age you can get free volunteers who will act as liaisons between the developers and the community to keep everyone updated.

I don't think anyone expects daily vlogs about the development of puzzle pirates, but we need some form of community interaction to keep us all engaged.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mitjana at Sep 5, 2018 1:53:55 PM]
[Sep 5, 2018 1:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

I don't want to be charged for advertising, but take a look at RS, they updated their graphics every time yes, but they brought back the oldschool version, which is performing even better than it used to be in 2007.

While I haven't played RS myself, my understanding is that it isn't a game that for well over a decade has revolved completely around the same few puzzles, that you're required to do for hours on end if you want to actually play 'properly'. The social interaction was easily the biggest draw to this game, and the playerbase has declined to the point that activity is now almost 10% of what it was when I first started playing.

I agree that the communication is poor, but better engagement with the community is at most going to very-slightly increase player retention, you're apportioning blame for the state of the game to the wrong things.
[Sep 5, 2018 3:55:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I'm not a Ringer (I know they aren't called that anymore, but old habits die hard), but here's my take:

I don't believe there are any real plans to do anything but keep the game up, on life support, for as long as people continue to play and pay for it. The time for major changes, updates, etc is in the past. PP is in "maintenance mode", and will remain so until it comes time to finally shut the servers down.

That's the point. To keep it going, as long as it can, for the sake of those who still want to play it. Nothing more, nothing less.

(Also, at the risk of derailing and speaking as someone who used to care far too much about this game himself - you lost your job because of playing (Obsidian)? That is not healthy, mate. Please reconsider your priorities, if you haven't already.)
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 8, 2018 6:16:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

I don't believe there are any real plans to do anything but keep the game up, on life support, for as long as people continue to play and pay for it. The time for major changes, updates, etc is in the past. PP is in "maintenance mode", and will remain so until it comes time to finally shut the servers down.

That's the point. To keep it going, as long as it can, for the sake of those who still want to play it. Nothing more, nothing less.

(Also, at the risk of derailing and speaking as someone who used to care far too much about this game himself - you lost your job because of playing (Obsidian)? That is not healthy, mate. Please reconsider your priorities, if you haven't already.)

I completely agree with everything you've said here. It also seems quite pointless to me to continue to make these types of threads, when I think the devs have made it pretty clear there's really not much new content in the future. They've make it clear for years the amount of communication that we can expect. There's another one of these threads every month or so. Nothing is going to change. Quite simply, the game will most likely continue to exist until it's no longer profitable to host anymore. By that point, the ocean population will be so low and the game completely unplayable that none of us will even miss it when it's shut down for good. Which seems a bit of a waste for those among us who've lost their jobs over YPP (?!).
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Sep 8, 2018 6:25:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

I completely agree with everything you've said here. It also seems quite pointless to me to continue to make these types of threads, when I think the devs have made it pretty clear there's really not much new content in the future. They've make it clear for years the amount of communication that we can expect. There's another one of these threads every month or so. Nothing is going to change. Quite simply, the game will most likely continue to exist until it's no longer profitable to host anymore. By that point, the ocean population will be so low and the game completely unplayable that none of us will even miss it when it's shut down for good. Which seems a bit of a waste for those among us who've lost their jobs over YPP (?!).

If you don't mind, can you help me understand this train of thought?

You think the game is never going to change, that it's on life support and the plug will be pulled when the player base dwindles to a point it can't sustain the servers. Further you feel the people in control will never, ever make changes now to try and prevent this from happening or prolong the life of the game.

Why post here? Why cast dissent against comments and threads that seek to implore the developer(s) to do something or communicate? What exactly are you out to accomplish with this?

I enjoy playing Puzzle Pirates. I'm not about to lose a job over it but I do thoroughly enjoy playing.

I don't think it needs drastic changes or a complete overhaul to make the game palatable to a wider breadth of players. I also don't think we need such resource intensive or painstaking changes to make the game we have more enjoyable for what little fans remain.

Why do you care if I post that I want change? Why do you care if OP posts that they want communication? It just makes so little sense to me personally, and so I'd really love to understand why you're seemingly so against the notion that someone might not feel as hopeless about the games future as you do.

Puzzle Pirates had a new ocean with some bold declarations launch a little over a year ago. While it could very well be an awful cash grab ploy to draw in former players, I don't see why we'd have even got the little we did if that were the case.

Why get a new ship? Why have the adjustments to the game we've had (Even if they're bad/good or few and far between)?

Everyone knows we're playing a game with a skeleton crew left running it, that doesn't mean we can't want changes and improvements. And so long as we want it, we should keep posting and replying about it.

Silence doesn't help anybody, and certainly wont help the game.
[Sep 8, 2018 6:58:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
army545

I'm not a Ringer (I know they aren't called that anymore, but old habits die hard), but here's my take:

What's the point of hosting something that's going to die if there are no plans for updates? Why not just try and "sell" the game to a new company, to a games startup who is willing to do something, unlike Sega. Yes the game uses old technologies, but with today's IT level, you can hire a crew of developers that can rewrite most of the client side content in a year in this case. Personally, if PP shuts down, and I had the budget, I would re-create PP with modern graphics using the same game concept, because it has potential.

And if I were at Grey Havens, I would just sell this game to a startup company that has the budget and the developers to bring this game back to air, and it's possible.

You see a man lying on the floor, bleeding slowly and is pretty much about to die soon and run out of blood. You support him with food and water from time to time. But once he runs out of blood, he will die, instead of saving him up by taking him to the hospital and healing him.

Same with this game, it's currently bleeding, but they support it by hosting it but not actually healing the game.

just leaving it to die, like a poor injured crow.
[Sep 8, 2018 7:38:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

What's the point of hosting something that's going to die if there are no plans for updates?

That's a decision folks should have carefully asked themselves before even considering buying the IP from SEGA before it would have been shut down.

Why not just try and "sell" the game to a new company, to a games startup who is willing to do something, unlike Sega. Yes the game uses old technologies, but with today's IT level, you can hire a crew of developers that can rewrite most of the client side content in a year in this case. Personally, if PP shuts down, and I had the budget, I would re-create PP with modern graphics using the same game concept, because it has potential.

The market cap required to completely re-write this from scratch is more than the current revenue stream and playerbase is worth (If you really want to see a rough private equity evaluation, let me know. Why I'd have done that is left as an exercise to the reader.) - you'd need to either be making more, or have more players, to come close to justifying this. These assets would be better spent developing an entirely new IP at this point, as the game has been left to lie fallow.

And if I were at Grey Havens, I would just sell this game to a startup company that has the budget and the developers to bring this game back to air, and it's possible.

A startup isn't going to buy this game - they'd develop their own, likely a competitor, new and fresh - unless it came at a substantial discount or saw some kind of activity or story worth investing in. (I've seen this happen to exactly one ailing game from a similar era and demographic - Realm of the Mad God - after which taking it over from it's former owners the new team made drastic game-improving balance and QOL changes, integrated with the community for new content development, and otherwise salvaged the game.

I think Puzzle Pirates is in fact salvageable in the same way - but it requires a vision statement, community communication, and a complete buyout of Grey Havens LLC.

That said, with the current situation, I think it's quite possible that most of the players on the oceans regularly buying doubloons in bulk enough to keep the game alive have the liquid cash sitting around (Individually or as a collective group) to outright buy the IP.

Based on rough numbers it'd only take 10-15 people or so to say "Look, we'd like to just buy the game and rework things versus throw money at it every month. If we can't buy the IP we'll stop buying Doubloons" to throw a critical decision wrench in things. (Which is a critical situation you never want to get into but hey it's already there so.) - The (1-10%) of players who actually put money into the game have far more influence on it's future course than they might expect.

(The principal issue with that being the game's current survival is owed to it encouraging it's biggest patrons to spend money against one another - and so there might be a hard time in agreeing on vision.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zenithar at Sep 9, 2018 9:05:33 AM]
[Sep 9, 2018 9:00:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

Fooooooooooooooorrrrtnite anyone?
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Sep 11, 2018 11:34:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Fooooooooooooooorrrrtnite anyone?

Fornite suxs, PP suxs, what about League?
Keaze is right.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, all those wasted new players :/
[Sep 11, 2018 8:14:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

*peers back into thread*

I'm not trying to shut anyone up. I'm just laying out my honest assessment of the situation so that people can make their own informed choices (including whether or not to believe it). I understand it may not be what some want to hear, but it's what I sincerely believe to be true.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at Sep 18, 2018 11:18:01 PM]
[Sep 18, 2018 11:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sovereignty

cmdrzoom wrote: 
*peers back into thread*

I'm not trying to shut anyone up. I'm just laying out my honest assessment of the situation so that people can make their own informed choices (including whether or not to believe it). I understand it may not be what some want to hear, but it's what I sincerely believe to be true.

I would agree with you if it weren't for the trickled out updates we've gotten.

There'd be next to no reason to release a new medium-class ship if the intent was simply to keep the game afloat til it was completely dead.

Why spend the time making something new if you're just keeping the lights on (and raking in whatever is left to be taken) til the whole thing shuts down?
[Sep 19, 2018 2:08:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

It's not like it takes that much work to release a new ship type. Not compared to a new event or SMH or renovating all the graphics. It's even less work to release new boxes every few months and re-release all the previous LE ships onto Obsidian. They're doing very close to the bare minimum required to keep a bit of revenue coming in. I think to get a lot of people interested in the game again (or new players) it would take something major. Much larger than a new ocean release or an iPad app. And they simply don't have the resources to do that.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Sep 22, 2018 8:34:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Borthos

In all seriousness, it pains me to see such a great game on its core dying like this. Some say it's outdated, some say it's lack of advertisement but to be honest to me it's just due to poor managing skills and poor game design decisions.

The problem with Puzzle Pirates is that the studio has been sitting confident on its milky cow for way too long and when it was time to attack the mobile market, the game designers failed once again and plenty of money went down the drain with that iOS flop. A game like this cannot be off the mobile market these days.

Let's get real: Puzzle Pirates runs on Java, a decaying and obsolete platform in the current time being. It's not just about graphics, it's about the core engine and its adaptability, which isn't great. Sure graphics could be improved and we could already have a game with the 2.5D graphics like Lords Mobile or Rise of Civilizations, but if the core can't adapt to mobile it's pointless.

This game doesn't really need to have a big revamp or be inovated because all the stuff is already there. We just need to get more players and set a proper path and that path begins with dumping this old engine and making a new version of the game running on a new one, up to date. This way we'll be able to get onto the mobile market and when it's time to do it, the puzzles and everything in it need to be playable, not like last time.
When this has been done, think about advertising.

But for now, get to the basic: Shut down the empty oceans and merge all of them into one. That includes merging Emerald to Obsidian or the other way around. It makes no sense having the community split in half and having 2 different games just shows how disorganized and clueless this whole team is.
Assume ONE game and take it from there. Sometimes less is more, and right now there's too much scattering.
And to those who are going to cry about losing their virtual properties, ships and all of it: get real, what's the matter of owning everything in an empty server and decaying community?

TL;DR: Get rid of the 2 game variants, stick to 1 > Shut down empty servers > Merge all of them into a single ocean to keep the community together > start over on that ocean > start working on a new core engine and 2.5D graphics > attack the mobile market > advertise > profit.

Or, if it's easier and cheaper, and perhaps something that should've been done already: Puzzle Pirates 2, where you start on a new engine and just put all of the intellectual property on it and with updated graphics + mobile connection. Use Kickstarter if you have to.
[Sep 23, 2018 9:03:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Borthos

Also, this forum and website could use an upgrade as well. Besides looking dated, it runs on a dated system and it's not user friendly at all. I don't even have buttons to make a new post or edit mine, not to mention many of the basic variables aren't working, e.g: Online/Offline status.
[Sep 23, 2018 9:07:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

In all seriousness, it pains me to see such a great game on its core dying like this. Some say it's outdated, some say it's lack of advertisement but to be honest to me it's just due to poor managing skills and poor game design decisions.

The problem with Puzzle Pirates is that the studio has been sitting confident on its milky cow for way too long and when it was time to attack the mobile market, the game designers failed once again and plenty of money went down the drain with that iOS flop. A game like this cannot be off the mobile market these days.

Let's get real: Puzzle Pirates runs on Java, a decaying and obsolete platform in the current time being. It's not just about graphics, it's about the core engine and its adaptability, which isn't great. Sure graphics could be improved and we could already have a game with the 2.5D graphics like Lords Mobile or Rise of Civilizations, but if the core can't adapt to mobile it's pointless.

This game doesn't really need to have a big revamp or be inovated because all the stuff is already there. We just need to get more players and set a proper path and that path begins with dumping this old engine and making a new version of the game running on a new one, up to date. This way we'll be able to get onto the mobile market and when it's time to do it, the puzzles and everything in it need to be playable, not like last time.
When this has been done, think about advertising.

But for now, get to the basic: Shut down the empty oceans and merge all of them into one. That includes merging Emerald to Obsidian or the other way around. It makes no sense having the community split in half and having 2 different games just shows how disorganized and clueless this whole team is.
Assume ONE game and take it from there. Sometimes less is more, and right now there's too much scattering.
And to those who are going to cry about losing their virtual properties, ships and all of it: get real, what's the matter of owning everything in an empty server and decaying community?

TL;DR: Get rid of the 2 game variants, stick to 1 > Shut down empty servers > Merge all of them into a single ocean to keep the community together > start over on that ocean > start working on a new core engine and 2.5D graphics > attack the mobile market > advertise > profit.

I 100% agree with you removing dead oceans would be a great start to clean up the game, people that don't like it, the history of them oceans will be on yppedia anyway. But I would keep Emerald and Obsidian Seperate because they are both different oceans, and merging them wouldn't work anyway.
Keaze is right.

[Sep 23, 2018 4:05:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

I 100% agree with you removing dead oceans would be a great start to clean up the game

How?

Nobody is forced to log in to those oceans, and Emerald & Obsidian are hardly bustling with activity themselves anyway. Grey Havens describe themselves as a museum for old games that are no longer commercially viable. How many museums do you know that throw out old stuff people have given them for display?

That those oceans still exist really isn't the big deal you make it out to be. You could close them all tomorrow - it would make absolutely no difference to the number of active pirates on Obsidian & Emerald.
[Sep 24, 2018 10:03:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

I 100% agree with you removing dead oceans would be a great start to clean up the game

How?

Nobody is forced to log in to those oceans, and Emerald & Obsidian are hardly bustling with activity themselves anyway. Grey Havens describe themselves as a museum for old games that are no longer commercially viable. How many museums do you know that throw out old stuff people have given them for display?

That those oceans still exist really isn't the big deal you make it out to be. You could close them all tomorrow - it would make absolutely no difference to the number of active pirates on Obsidian & Emerald.

3/5 oceans have populations of <5, and your saying the oceans Obsidian and Emerald bustling any activity compared to Jade/Opal and Meridian? Check your facts.

Grey Havens restore games, they give new life and re-invent go look at games like Spiral Knights or Bang Howdy (any game on steam is commercially viable). Many games, look at Runescape how it transformed to almost dying to new, or Quake from old to new, and more museums like Miniclip games and even cool maths games.

Then why don't we let them close those pointless oceans (Jade/Opal/Meridian), why do you think they are valuable? When was the last time someone pillaged on there? When was the last blockade? when was the last SMH? or the last time you saw more than 10 online (not blockade days)?
Keaze is right.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by hidemyhoney at Sep 25, 2018 4:29:40 AM]
[Sep 25, 2018 4:26:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Again, you give no explanation as to how closing older servers will solve anything. Correct, some have a population of five or fewer - but how is this a factor in the game as a whole being inactive? Closing those oceans won't magically spawn new greenies on the ocean you happen to play on. They're also not some void where logging in causes you to disappear from existence.

Similarly you're comparing PP to games that were very popular to begin with. Puzzle Pirates has always had a very small following in comparison to most other 'massive' multiplayer games. Even at YPP's peak the number of active players was a tiny percentage compared to the games you keep listing.
[Sep 25, 2018 9:23:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

They need not be closed, but they absolutely need to be deprecated out of the UI.

Either hidden behind a checkbox or just outright restricted to players already on them.

Under no circumstances should a new player creating a pirate for the first time be put anywhere but Emerald/Obsidian or that new player is nearly guaranteed to be lost.

A quick and important priority change that can nearly universally be agreed to and needs to be done.
[Sep 25, 2018 10:25:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Again, you give no explanation as to how closing older servers will solve anything. Correct, some have a population of five or fewer - but how is this a factor in the game as a whole being inactive? Closing those oceans won't magically spawn new greenies on the ocean you happen to play on. They're also not some void where logging in causes you to disappear from existence.

Similarly you're comparing PP to games that were very popular to begin with. Puzzle Pirates has always had a very small following in comparison to most other 'massive' multiplayer games. Even at YPP's peak the number of active players was a tiny percentage compared to the games you keep listing.

You clearly ignored my questions as well so... I'll ask them again, Why do you think keeping old oceans is going to improve the game? Would you play on oceans at least once a week more than 1-2 hours? with a population of <5?

Closing them will make sure you don't waste new greenies on the ocean, if a new player goes on Jade for example, and they see oh theres nobody here, why play? They pretty much are if you really think about it.

Doesn't matter if they were popular or not, the point I'm trying to bring across on what THEY did, to remove old data to create something new which runescape is the perfect example. Many many games on miniclip games have done this method and been successful if you browse around on the site.
Keaze is right.

[Sep 27, 2018 3:21:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Zenithar wrote: 
Under no circumstances should a new player creating a pirate for the first time be put anywhere but Emerald/Obsidian or that new player is nearly guaranteed to be lost.
+1. Don't know why it took so long for this to emerge. The only potential issue is a newcomer landing on the less active oceans.

@hidemyhoney
The other oceans also service the small group of friends who occasionally hop on to play together. Naturally they aren't on the notice board, etc. But they exist, maybe just not in a timezone close to your own. That's something.

If you bothered to, you could puzzle there for easier Standings and hence unlock puzzle difficulties that you couldn't normally reach. That's something.

If you had amassed some wealth there, you could easily access the crafting puzzles or swabbies a ship and puzzle at your own pace. That's better than starting fresh on Emerald/Obsidian just to save up for a badge. I owe most of my Distilling technique to someone who personally stream-coached me on Meridian last year, just because of this. That's something.

On the other hand, all the nonsense about shutting down the less active oceans can't be sufficiently/convincingly supported. The very core of GH is to preserve & hopefully rebuild what was a lost game anyway. If server upkeep is an issue, you'd hear from GH about it and they'd naturally close it.

Just redirect tourists to the bustling cities. No sense in bombing down the rural areas of your country just to achieve the same outcome.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Sep 27, 2018 5:26:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I would support hiding, but not closing, the old oceans.
[Sep 27, 2018 8:49:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Support for hiding but not closing. Place all regular PP new players on emerald by default. (almost?) no one will stick around being placed on the low population oceans of Cerulean, or worse, Meridian. At least on Emerald there's a chance.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 28, 2018 2:10:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Borthos

The point of closing oceans that have no activity is to save on money. Each server is a monthly rent. How do you want a game to be viable if you're draining money on useless servers that nobody play on?

It's not going to solve all the problems, but it's a help towards balance. You have to start from somewhere and this is a good starting point - cleaning the house.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Borthos at Sep 28, 2018 11:00:18 AM]
[Sep 28, 2018 10:59:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Save what money? Does anyone have an actual verifiable price-tag on what it costs to keep the servers online, or are we just blowing smoke. No point taking away things people find fun over theoretical b/s. Like someone pointed earlier, just because you close the oceans does not mean the 2 populated oceans will suddenly start bustling with activity. If the only issue with having the other oceans online is because new pirates spawn there, it probably makes more sense to reroute new players to the 2 oceans than delete close a server that people have spent thousands of time and money on over the years.

Btw, is there anything on the other oceans that tells people there that the game exists on steam, or the Obsidian ocean even exists?
[Sep 28, 2018 5:13:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 38   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates