• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 785 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Jimmyjones38

Ferries Reply to this Post

Ahoy all,

I am posting this to see if the Ocean Masters would come out with a new ship, in this case the Ferry. The same ferries that whisk you from island to island, but instead players could own them and use them at their own will. I think it would be similar to the War Brig, but with the hold of Merchant Galleon (in my opinion). I would like to hear feedback from the players themselves and the Ocean Masters. Maybe some one could try and build one in Yohoho Tools.
----------------------------------------
Jimmyjones of all oceans
Senior Officer of Silver Dragons
Prince of Dragon Lords
Fleet Officer of Midnight Aurora
Member of Lion's Bane
[Aug 14, 2018 1:53:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Ferries Reply to this Post

are you looking to buy a stock moving ship that works for free and requires no pirates? You load it and send it?
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Aug 14, 2018 1:58:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jimmyjones38

are you looking to buy a stock moving ship that works for free and requires no pirates? You load it and send it?

No, I was thinking a new type of ship to pillage. One that isn't too big, but has a bigger hold.
Jimmyjones of all oceans
Prince of Dragon Lords
Member of Lion's Bane
[Aug 14, 2018 2:04:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

No, I was thinking a new type of ship to pillage. One that isn't too big, but has a bigger hold.

Pretty sure, a sloop covers this, can buy numerous sit them on different islands or use alts to get to island.
Heckle

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!

Greedy bashing is the result of no SMHs! (remove officer badge when greedy bashing is ovar)
[Aug 14, 2018 7:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jimmyjones38

Pretty sure, a sloop covers this, can buy numerous sit them on different islands or use alts to get to island.

Well a sloop can't hold the same amount of people as a War Brig and have a hold of a Merchant Galleon. I was thinking this type of ship could be used for longer voyages. Doesn't require a long waiting period to load the ship, and it allows you to hold more stock. In the end, you can pillage longer without having to restock every so often.

I would still like to hear from other people.
Jimmyjones of all oceans
Prince of Dragon Lords
Member of Lion's Bane
[Aug 14, 2018 8:43:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Having the hold of a merchant galleon is a bit much. The only ship type that has a bigger hold than the MG is a grand frigate (war frig's hold is a little smaller). Also, rum and shot don't take up much room in the hold, same as most commodities.

I'd imagine one of the key parts of ship balancing is hold size vs purpose. The merchant ships are harder to maintain in order to balance their huge holds compared to their sizes (war galleon's hold is the same size as a merch brig, for example, but the WG holds twice as many people).

The war galleon type is still fairly new, I think it'll be awhile before an entirely new size is even considered.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 14, 2018 9:59:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Well a sloop can't hold the same amount of people as a War Brig and have a hold of a Merchant Galleon. I was thinking this type of ship could be used for longer voyages. Doesn't require a long waiting period to load the ship, and it allows you to hold more stock. In the end, you can pillage longer without having to restock every so often.

I would still like to hear from other people.

I'm saying sloops cover the ferrie issue, and the War Galleon does the hold stuff as well. There is really no need for a new type of ship, since there already is around 14 different sizes of ships.
Heckle

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!

Greedy bashing is the result of no SMHs! (remove officer badge when greedy bashing is ovar)
[Aug 15, 2018 12:54:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Seems extremely unnecessary to me, especially if you want to use it for something like pillaging.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Aug 16, 2018 11:25:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

It's more a cargo ship, and less of a ferry Reply to this Post

Maybe a rename of the proposed ship is in order, given that the existing game concept of ferries do not whisk cargo from island to island.

Ferries convey passengers and vehicles (sometimes cargo but that's not their primary purpose)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_ship

For a more period name, how about a fluyt?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluyt
Ships (Idea LInks):Fluyt
Though a fluyt might have less cargo capacity than the proposed ship.
[Aug 16, 2018 7:26:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Jimmyjones38

Re: It's more a cargo ship, and less of a ferry Reply to this Post

Maybe a rename of the proposed ship is in order, given that the existing game concept of ferries do not whisk cargo from island to island.

Ferries convey passengers and vehicles (sometimes cargo but that's not their primary purpose)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_ship

For a more period name, how about a fluyt?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluyt
Ships (Idea LInks):Fluyt
Though a fluyt might have less cargo capacity than the proposed ship.

I like that name. It suits it well. Picture is almost similar the the Ferry. Thank you for sharing that, I like that name better.
Jimmyjones of all oceans
Prince of Dragon Lords
Member of Lion's Bane
[Aug 18, 2018 4:11:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zenithar

To convey something along the lines of the actual 'People Moving' boat idea, simply because the thread sparked it.

Yacht

2-4 Sailing Stations
1 Carpentry
1 Bilge
1 Navigation
NO Cannons. No grappling hook.
Reduced mass, volume, and especially cargo capacity compared to a sloop. It should be able to carry the rum needed for the voyage and essentially nothing else, except maybe one or two small, high value items ala smuggling. (Gold nuggets, perhaps? Very risky - the ship doesn't have a way to defend itself at all.)
Decent additional people-on-board capacity. (If it takes 1 person and some swabbies to sail, it can take another 6 passengers, for example)

The role this ship would fill would be in a large ocean, where people need to go somewhere outside their archipelago /especially/ somewhere they've never been.

Charter passage on a yacht with a mission type of Ferry - you pay /them/ a fee upon docking at the ferry's listed destination and are automatically disembarked (Precisely when the fee is paid and the ship docks, preventing abuse).

Yachts would naturally accelerate up to top speed the fastest of all ship types and have the easiest to keep-to-utter-capacity sails in the game.

...And since I play on Obsidian, this idea is resoundingly, utterly useless to me specifically, as I can whisk for free to every inhabited island in the game.

Still, it's the other way to spin the concept.
[Aug 23, 2018 6:07:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

To make this ship a viable proposition, it could be an idea to suggest a development of locations that cannot be whisked/jobbed to. For example a Secret Lair, Hidden Islands, or adventure-based content off the standard ocean map.

A bit like how you need Lifeboats to Kraken Hunt, you'd need a Fluyt to enter certain routes (perhaps their waters are too shallow for regular ship hulls to pass through?).
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Aug 23, 2018 11:09:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates