• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 494 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
dustinkyle

Permanent furniture items in shops Reply to this Post

Hi there.

I am wondering if it is at all possible to change it so that permanent and unmovable furniture items in shops and stalls might be movable and upgrade-able (like canons, etc. on ships).

For example, the placement of the bust where customers order clothing in a deluxe tailor shop is extremely awkward and has the potential to better serve both the owner and customers if the location was able to change.

If permanent furniture items were upgrade-able, the ability for the shop owner to put their own personal style flair into their shop would be enhanced, thus pleasing the masses. This would also stimulate spending and commerce across the ocean for furnishers. If some upgrade-able items were only purchasable with a design recipe that is purchased using trinkets that are procured through pillaging or sea monster hunts, this will encourage more activity throughout the ocean. The ability to paint some items (for example a weaving loom), will stimulate purchasing of paints, which require various commodities. In turn, this can motivate players to bid, pillage, buy, and sell among other activities. In short, what should be a very simple game design change can create a domino effect of increased activity and player satisfaction across the game.

Initiating this change has the potential to benefit Yohoho Puzzle Pirates, as well. Research has shown that individuals perceive a greater value in games that are personalized to their interests and desires (Bakkes, Tien Tan, & Pisan ,2012). Player-centered designing and creating the ability for players to personalize their online environment as much as possible enhances gameplay for people of all genders, ethnicity, and ages. While every player and person in this game is different, creating opportunities for enhanced personalization and manipulation of the environment will only increase satisfaction with the game (Charles et al, 2015). Creating a successful and effective game includes understanding your players' wishes and hopes, and my wishes and hopes include moving that dang orders bust in the tailor shop.

Thank you.

References

Bakkes, S., Tien Tan, C., & Pisan ,Y. (2012). Personalised gaming: A motivation and overview of literature. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.462.2094&rep=rep1&type=pdf
Charles, D., McNeill, M., McAlister, M., Black, M , Moore, A., Stringer, K., Kücklich, J. , & Kerr, A. (2015). Player-centred game design: Player modelling and adaptive digital games. Retrieved from researchgate.com
----------------------------------------
Julie on Obsidian
Mazi on Cobalt/Emerald

Xelliana tells ye, "I went to Hooters today :D!"
[Edit 4 times, last edit by dustinkyle at Aug 12, 2018 4:11:24 PM]
[Aug 12, 2018 2:55:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Permanent furniture items in shops Reply to this Post

I am wondering if it is at all possible to change it so that permanent and unmovable furniture items in freestanding shoppes might be movable and upgrade-able (like canons, etc. on ships).

While cannons are "upgradable", they spot where the puzzle menu shows up is not movable.

In many cases, you can dust the props under the menu hot spots, and replace them with other furniture, but that is about it.

Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to get too attached to that tailor shop of yours. It is almost certainly going to be dusted within a few months.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 12, 2018 3:53:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to get too attached to that tailor shop of yours. It is almost certainly going to be dusted within a few months.[/quote]

wowowow, let's not start a riot in here boy. I'll find you.
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Aug 12, 2018 4:05:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

wowowow, let's not start a riot in here boy. I'll find you.

If that is a threat of some in-game action, well, good luck. I gave away all my stuff and stopped playing almost 2 years ago.

If that is a real-world threat, well, be careful.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 12, 2018 4:09:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dustinkyle

I am wondering if it is at all possible to change it so that permanent and unmovable furniture items in freestanding shoppes might be movable and upgrade-able (like canons, etc. on ships).

While cannons are "upgradable", they spot where the puzzle menu shows up is not movable.

In many cases, you can dust the props under the menu hot spots, and replace them with other furniture, but that is about it.

Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to get too attached to that tailor shop of yours. It is almost certainly going to be dusted within a few months.

Thanks for that super helpful and enlightened reply. As I referenced multiple times throughout my post, I feel that this simple change would be helpful in multiple ways for multiple shops. I do own a tailor that inspired this particular post, but it is not the first time I have felt this way in my 14 years of playing the game, owning shops, and running stalls. If every post within this forum was motivated to only benefit the single human making the post, this forum would probably not exist. I am able to think beyond myself and I made this post with the idea that perhaps multiple have had this same thought and desire.

If it does dust, I would imagine that whoever rebuilds a tailor next might enjoy moving permanent furniture around at their will.

Edit: There is not a tailoring puzzle. The customizable option I mentioned for a puzzling stall including painting, not moving.
Julie on Obsidian
Mazi on Cobalt/Emerald

Xelliana tells ye, "I went to Hooters today :D!"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by dustinkyle at Aug 12, 2018 4:13:36 PM]
[Aug 12, 2018 4:10:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I feel that this simple change would be helpful in multiple ways for multiple shops.

I haven't seen the in-game code, but I suspect that this is *far* from a simple change. Otherwise, it would have been done long ago. To me, a bigger problem is that the current in-game furniture placement code does not allow you to stack furniture items like what is found on the props of stores. Once you dust the props, you can't re-create the look with upgrade stuff.

The third party utility ScenePainter allows you to move the menu hot-spots and create create YPP scenes that are more advanced than the in-game furniture placement tools, but it can also create scenes that cause problems if they were imported into the game. The wininkwall island on Ice is one such example.

If you add code to the scenepainter utility that solves all these problems, then GH might be willing to use your code in-game, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
[Aug 12, 2018 4:31:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prosperity

I'd love to have the option to replace the default white weaving stall looms with the pretty, colorful ones purchasable from a furnisher. It could maybe be done in a way similar to ship helms, cannons, etc.

Considering the size of the player base, I think it's nice for people to suggest even the little things they'd like to see. This suggestion applies to every stall in the game, so I'm not sure why the tailor shoppe being dusted or not is relevant to the suggestion. Your last post regarding how it would be done technically was something I was curious about as someone who knows nothing about that side of things - thanks for sharing.
Obsidian: Polaris, Veto
Cerulean: Polaris, Tyranny
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Prosperity at Aug 12, 2018 4:41:08 PM]
[Aug 12, 2018 4:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

dustinkyle wrote: 
I made this post with the idea that perhaps multiple have had this same thought and desire.

Replacing props with furniture in shoppes and stalls [Bos5, Epimetheus, Faulkston, Pleun, Chewyshoe, Aquadrake, Heygabe, Elpresidente, ManaMan] (2005)
That discussion does however predate the first release of furniture which could replace existing items on ships.
[Aug 13, 2018 6:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates