• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1176 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Trymeban

Graphics, this is an issue.

Hello there.

With the Dread Ringers(i.e Grey Havens) releasing Dark Seas as a full game on steam, I thought of something. Dark seas is supposed to be this new and exciting Ocean, but something about it just felt a bit lackluster, in all honesty. It was mostly the same. We can all agree.

In a world of evolving graphics and new Free To Play games coming out every week, Smaller games with smaller companies like Puzzle Pirates are falling behind. This game has such a unique concept, and an amazing game in place, with very little issues.

In order for a smaller game like us to grow, and survive in the industry, things have to change. For the better. Something to "Update" us.

I'm a graphics designer (To some extent), I mostly do it as a hobby in my spare time because I simply enjoy it. Back in 2010
when I first joined the game I've fell in love with it.

Once dark seas was put out on early access a year ago, the game reached a peak of nearly 1000 players. This is huge, but it couldn't last to even half that amount.

The reviews though, they weren't the best. And a good portion of new players leaving reviews has mentioned the graphics, and how they're outdated.

And that's the truth, They are outdated. They've barely been changed for the past (15?) years. And with these graphics, little to no people come to the game and stay.

I've been working on some UI revamps (Voluntarily) and I'm aware of the consequences. But nevertheless, I thought I'd shed some light on the current situation, things have to change.

Below are screenshots of what I have done so far, feel free to leave suggestions, and any responses to this post.

https://gyazo.com/76c2912b0f991a46cf24ec8ccbf2b232
https://gyazo.com/bf14c6e6195d961b2398d99de13597ed
https://gyazo.com/847c304b85860a241a4d753df2206022

Thanks,
[Jul 25, 2018 8:37:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Graphics, this is an issue.

Hello there.

With the Dread Ringers(i.e Grey Havens) releasing Dark Seas as a full game on steam, I thought of something. Dark seas is supposed to be this new and exciting Ocean, but something about it just felt a bit lackluster, in all honesty. It was mostly the same. We can all agree.

In a world of evolving graphics and new Free To Play games coming out every week, Smaller games with smaller companies like Puzzle Pirates are falling behind. This game has such a unique concept, and an amazing game in place, with very little issues.

In order for a smaller game like us to grow, and survive in the industry, things have to change. For the better. Something to "Update" us.

I'm a graphics designer (To some extent), I mostly do it as a hobby in my spare time because I simply enjoy it. Back in 2010
when I first joined the game I've fell in love with it.

Once dark seas was put out on early access a year ago, the game reached a peak of nearly 1000 players. This is huge, but it couldn't last to even half that amount.

The reviews though, they weren't the best. And a good portion of new players leaving reviews has mentioned the graphics, and how they're outdated.

And that's the truth, They are outdated. They've barely been changed for the past (15?) years. And with these graphics, little to no people come to the game and stay.

I've been working on some UI revamps (Voluntarily) and I'm aware of the consequences. But nevertheless, I thought I'd shed some light on the current situation, things have to change.

Below are screenshots of what I have done so far, feel free to leave suggestions, and any responses to this post.

https://gyazo.com/76c2912b0f991a46cf24ec8ccbf2b232
https://gyazo.com/bf14c6e6195d961b2398d99de13597ed
https://gyazo.com/847c304b85860a241a4d753df2206022

Thanks,

Like the newer color's and while I agree the graphics are old, the game more then makes up for it.

Here is an earlier discussion on the topic, as you can see in a post i made some of the updated graphics are new and fresh but the old stale look is still present on some main pages of the game.
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Jul 25, 2018 3:01:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Pretty sure he's trolling Jake, all he's done is change the colour to Purple, albeit a pretty nice shade of purple.
Jjc on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Jul 25, 2018 3:16:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Pretty sure he's trolling Jake, all he's done is change the colour to Purple, albeit a pretty nice shade of purple.

They added a few little other tweeks but I did like the color, and it wouldn't be much work if they took a day to slap some makeup on this ole game.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Jul 25, 2018 3:28:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

In case this was intended as a serious discussion, there are many resources which may be helpful in finding existing discussions to continue:
  • The Anti-list of ideas disapproved by the Game Developers. Note that they're not totally ruled out but the Game Developers often had some fairly strong objections and any further discussion on such ideas should start by addressing these objections. Note that philosophical objections are pretty firm e.g. no personal firearms in Puzzle Pirates. By definition it means there is an existing discussion on the idea.
  • The List of ideas the Game Developers didn't react adversely to. As the game gets updated, some of the ideas may become obsolete or unnecessary. By definition it means there is existing discussion on the idea.
  • The thread Hermes started contains links to suggestion threads for furniture, clothing, pets, trinkets and trophies.
  • Commonly discussed ideas is a fairly comprehensive listing of previously proposed ideas. In general the Game Developers have not expressed approval nor disapproval of these ideas.
  • Search (in Game Design) to see if your idea has come up before. You may prefer to use Google or some other search engine that you're more comfortable with. You can ask for help with searching in this thread:
    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6605
    Generally you may expect a response within 24 hours, though questions with hard to find answers may take slightly longer.
If there's an existing discussion thread to reply to and it's older than a few months, be sure to call attention to the age of the thread. Including the word "bump" when adding new material will do.
[Jul 25, 2018 6:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates