• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 107
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15926 times and has 106 replies Next Thread
Stan5

Re: How to balance Atlantis and Haunted Seas with swabbies in mind Reply to this Post

I've had varying thoughts on this issue in the past, and I've personally concluded that it may end up causing more harm than good to the game. While I would agree that it is a fairly decent solution, it comes accross as slapping a bandaid on a bullethole to the head. Puzzle Pirates is marketed as an online multiplayer game, an emphasis on the multiplayer part. If the solution to the lack of players needed to properly fill and run sea monster hunts is to turn the job over to swabbies instead, then it defeats the entire purpose of the game being multiplayer in the first place. In my humble opinion, I think if a solution should be considered, it should be one that makes voyages more appealing to players i.e better rewards for the average jobber, ability to use smaller vessels without getting obliterated, better rewards...did i mention better rewards yet?

If a short term fix to a deep issue is what we are after, then by all means, lets keep pushing for skilled swabbies but remember, it is a solution that will only benefit those that wish to run these voyages, not those of us that avoid sea monster hunts because of the meagre reward system, monotonous puzzle grind with little to no breaks, the feeling of being "stuck" aboard the ship once the voyage starts and many others.

I think if you ask people why they don't want to join or stay aboard sea monster hunts, it would go a long way to developing a solution as I have a feeling "because it takes too long to load" is not the sole reason people don't want to join these voyages.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stan5 at Feb 10, 2019 7:47:13 PM]
[Feb 10, 2019 7:41:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Re: How to balance Atlantis and Haunted Seas with swabbies in mind Reply to this Post

I've had varying thoughts on this issue in the past, and I've personally concluded that it may end up causing more harm than good to the game. While I would agree that it is a fairly decent solution, it comes accross as slapping a bandaid on a bullethole to the head. Puzzle Pirates is marketed as an online multiplayer game, an emphasis on the multiplayer part. If the solution to the lack of players needed to properly fill and run sea monster hunts is to turn the job over to swabbies instead, then it defeats the entire purpose of the game being multiplayer in the first place. In my humble opinion, I think if a solution should be considered, it should be one that makes voyages more appealing to players i.e better rewards for the average jobber, ability to use smaller vessels without getting obliterated, better rewards...did i mention better rewards yet?

You have good points, regarding Puzzle pirates is a multiplayer game and where this can be an abuse of the game, as so with many aspects or everything in the game. I believe for the future of Puzzle Pirates it needs to move away from the multiplayer aspect, if players can actually load them then thats awesome, but think of the players who have failed many times to load wasting 4+ hours a day just sitting there, population numbers decrease every day this is just a way around it. Even though they tried towards the PvPs which ended up being abused which made it obsolete as many of us know.
I'm a full supporter of Skilled Swabbies being added to the game but only if the pay is reduced by 95-99% so that there is very little or no profit by making money from doing this over and over (if most of the boarders are 70%+ swabbies).

If a short term fix to a deep issue is what we are after, then by all means, lets keep pushing for skilled swabbies but remember, it is a solution that will only benefit those that wish to run these voyages, not those of us that avoid sea monster hunts because of the meagre reward system, monotonous puzzle grind with little to no breaks, the feeling of being "stuck" aboard the ship once the voyage starts and many others.

I do agree with it'll only benefit players that want to run the voyages, but remember how many players on the game are actually new to the game? not very many. All the others have found this game from miniclip mostly lol from 2003-2017. Steam brought players to the game yes, where the population was 850odd on Obsidian, but then quickly dropped down to 300odd the week after. Lots of players on the game haven't had the opportunity to really run SMHs like myself to even load a SMH. It can also be a learning curve to the newer players, where it'll be much easier to monitor players on teaching them how to MAA, or Nav, Sparkles, Spawns etc.

I think if you ask people why they don't want to join or stay aboard sea monster hunts, it would go a long way to developing a solution as I have a feeling "because it takes too long to load" is not the sole reason people don't want to join these voyages.

The exact same can be said for any other voyage, I did 15 battles on my WB just doing greedies, it took me a total of 5-6 hours (1 battle is around 17 mins on average). Which is around the same amount of time or more than a Lantis run or Haunted Seas (in your defense you can actually leave after a battle, not so much in a SMH). Main reason people don't want to join them is the time consumption. I remember grinding out on Haunted Seas from 2015-2017, an average Haunted Seas run would take 5+ hours including loading times. Graveyard runs took around 3-4 hours, but on a sloop only an Hour (since you can't really sink things on a sloop unless you get lucky with Graveyard spawn kill).

The major negative of Puzzle Pirates is it takes so long to really do anything on the game. So you cannot really target SMHs as the problem. If you have a social/work life, you really honestly do not have time to play the game.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Feb 11, 2019 2:59:49 AM]
[Feb 11, 2019 2:51:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

You have good points, regarding Puzzle pirates is a multiplayer game and where this can be an abuse of the game, as so with many aspects or everything in the game. I believe for the future of Puzzle Pirates it needs to move away from the multiplayer aspect, if players can actually load them then thats awesome, but think of the players who have failed many times to load wasting 4+ hours a day just sitting there, population numbers decrease every day this is just a way around it. Even though they tried towards the PvPs which ended up being abused which made it obsolete as many of us know.
I'm a full supporter of Skilled Swabbies being added to the game but only if the pay is reduced by 95-99% so that there is very little or no profit by making money from doing this over and over (if most of the boarders are 70%+ swabbies).

Regarding reducing the pay based on swabbies aboard, that would tie in with meagre rewards. If I job on a Sea monster hunt and the navver goes in with 3 people instead of the full ship, your proposal is that I get paid 95-99% of what I would have made with a ship full of pirates, despite me doing the same amount of work I would have done on a full ship. That sounds very discouraging on the jobber side.

The difference between being able to load voyages now and say 10 years ago is not simply a lowered population. I'll use an example for this: If you're getting paid $500 per month and your rent is $50 and personal upkeep is under $100, $500 a month kinda feels like a salary worth working for. Fastforward 10 years, you're still getting paid $500 a month, but now your rent is $400, your personal upkeep is over $100, suddenly a $500 job starts to feel like a massive waste of time. Voyages like sea monster hunts (and even pillages) are paying around the same as they did years ago when dubloon prices were significantly lower that it is today. Dubs and product prices keep going up (since products require labor and labor badges require dubs), and yet payouts from voyages remain the same or have even dropped in some voyages, people are going to continue to leave. Not all of us can afford to swipe our credit/debit cards every month just to be able to afford renewing badges. Skilled swabbies does nothing to address this issue, i'd even argue it'll make it worse since we're advocating for even worse payouts with it.

I do agree with it'll only benefit players that want to run the voyages, but remember how many players on the game are actually new to the game? not very many. All the others have found this game from miniclip mostly lol from 2003-2017. Steam brought players to the game yes, where the population was 850odd on Obsidian, but then quickly dropped down to 300odd the week after. Lots of players on the game haven't had the opportunity to really run SMHs like myself to even load a SMH. It can also be a learning curve to the newer players, where it'll be much easier to monitor players on teaching them how to MAA, or Nav, Sparkles, Spawns etc.

There are still a significant amount of the population who despite having played for 10+ years are still very content with allowing other people to run voyages, and they just tag along, myself included. I'm decent at running pillages but even after playing for 14 years, I am a mediocre sea monster hunt navver at best and would much rather tag along on someone else's run. An update like this would do me no good as I would still have to do the same amount of puzzling I would have done but make 95-99% less rewards, sounds like a horrible trade off. As stated in the point above, if a voyage feels like it would be worth the amount of time and effort needed, people will join. "Having fun" doesn't replace my sword or buy me an officer badge. Don't believe this? check out how many people log on to the game during 9999 blockades as opposed to any other day of the week.

The exact same can be said for any other voyage, I did 15 battles on my WB just doing greedies, it took me a total of 5-6 hours (1 battle is around 17 mins on average). Which is around the same amount of time or more than a Lantis run or Haunted Seas (in your defense you can actually leave after a battle, not so much in a SMH). Main reason people don't want to join them is the time consumption. I remember grinding out on Haunted Seas from 2015-2017, an average Haunted Seas run would take 5+ hours including loading times. Graveyard runs took around 3-4 hours, but on a sloop only an Hour (since you can't really sink things on a sloop unless you get lucky with Graveyard spawn kill).

The major negative of Puzzle Pirates is it takes so long to really do anything on the game. So you cannot really target SMHs as the problem. If you have a social/work life, you really honestly do not have time to play the game.

The above points work here too, for those of us with little time to play the game daily, advocate for a solution that would make voyages worth our time. This is not only on the developers, players need to be able to run voyages that aren't so boring. My biggest turn off from Haunted Seas is not even the loading time, its the fact that I usually doze off about 10 mins into the run. Something as simple as a trivia during a break, even for 500 PoE would go a long way to improving the atmosphere and encourage people to come back on the runs. Most sea monster hunts this days are the same, get on board, pay tops/tokes, and everyone just grinds and does the same thing over and over and over, few ship runners attempt to be creative with their ship running. My point: make your voyage worth joining and people will join. Break the cycle of redundancy.
[Feb 11, 2019 5:00:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

Who the scupper is even reading all these long paragraphs mannnnnnnn.
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Feb 11, 2019 8:33:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Regarding reducing the pay based on swabbies aboard, that would tie in with meagre rewards. If I job on a Sea monster hunt and the navver goes in with 3 people instead of the full ship, your proposal is that I get paid 95-99% of what I would have made with a ship full of pirates, despite me doing the same amount of work I would have done on a full ship. That sounds very discouraging on the jobber side.

The difference between being able to load voyages now and say 10 years ago is not simply a lowered population. I'll use an example for this: If you're getting paid $500 per month and your rent is $50 and personal upkeep is under $100, $500 a month kinda feels like a salary worth working for. Fastforward 10 years, you're still getting paid $500 a month, but now your rent is $400, your personal upkeep is over $100, suddenly a $500 job starts to feel like a massive waste of time. Voyages like sea monster hunts (and even pillages) are paying around the same as they did years ago when dubloon prices were significantly lower that it is today. Dubs and product prices keep going up (since products require labor and labor badges require dubs), and yet payouts from voyages remain the same or have even dropped in some voyages, people are going to continue to leave. Not all of us can afford to swipe our credit/debit cards every month just to be able to afford renewing badges. Skilled swabbies does nothing to address this issue, i'd even argue it'll make it worse since we're advocating for even worse payouts with it.

You are right with discouraging part as a jobber, but its with the navver as well (to make it less abusable as possible) I'd be happy with this addition as long as its difficult to make big profits out of this.

Yes the game has changed much 10 years ago, where the needs of players increase all the time, hence why greedy brigands/barbarians came in so Pillaging would be more relevant again which was a success.

As for the reason why the implementation of skilled swabbies is to prevent players trying to load and failing wasting numerous hours on trying to load. As well as being able to go straight in, have a good time, teach other new players new skills that not many players get to do in the past 5 or so years.

There are still a significant amount of the population who despite having played for 10+ years are still very content with allowing other people to run voyages, and they just tag along, myself included. I'm decent at running pillages but even after playing for 14 years, I am a mediocre sea monster hunt navver at best and would much rather tag along on someone else's run. An update like this would do me no good as I would still have to do the same amount of puzzling I would have done but make 95-99% less rewards, sounds like a horrible trade off. As stated in the point above, if a voyage feels like it would be worth the amount of time and effort needed, people will join. "Having fun" doesn't replace my sword or buy me an officer badge. Don't believe this? check out how many people log on to the game during 9999 blockades as opposed to any other day of the week.

I respect other players for having their own favourite thing in the game, with your pillaging I've joined yours in the past and they have been lots of fun. Personally I'd rather tag along on other peoples runs (less work :P). I only suggested 95-99% reduction to prevent abuse in big profits over the other activities. Many people try to log on 9999 cades because it pays much more than any other thing in the game (unless your lucky with gold boxes or poker). I know this sentence is a bit off topic, but I never liked the update where regarding all Sea Monster hunts you can't win random clothing or bluds, I understand the incentive of doing this to make people buy from stalls more, but it should have been discussed with the playerbase before doing it.

The above points work here too, for those of us with little time to play the game daily, advocate for a solution that would make voyages worth our time. This is not only on the developers, players need to be able to run voyages that aren't so boring. My biggest turn off from Haunted Seas is not even the loading time, its the fact that I usually doze off about 10 mins into the run. Something as simple as a trivia during a break, even for 500 PoE would go a long way to improving the atmosphere and encourage people to come back on the runs. Most sea monster hunts this days are the same, get on board, pay tops/tokes, and everyone just grinds and does the same thing over and over and over, few ship runners attempt to be creative with their ship running. My point: make your voyage worth joining and people will join. Break the cycle of redundancy.

If I couldn't get any new trophies from Haunted Seas, I would basically be the same with no incentive or mojo to stay or puzzle for long period of time. I feel breaks should be longer and idle times for all oceans. not just Obsidian, because puzzling for hours with only 1 minute break in between is not really enough time to actually get something to eat or bathroom/washroom duties or maybe shorter Segments.
Thank you for giving good suggestions, hopefully this gets looked over and make it better.
[Feb 11, 2019 11:32:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Who the scupper is even reading all these long paragraphs mannnnnnnn.

I agree, can we like remove these Dead Oceans? and Alt abuse? Skilled Swabbies are only going to encourage Alt usage....
Support Sov! and I miss Jake :(

Bring the positives from obsidian ocean to main oceans!

Idk why people use alts to be relevant bashing everything.......
[Feb 14, 2019 6:52:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sovereignty

Still a needed change, I don't agree that it's a band-aid fix. I don't even agree with the defense arguing it's time for PP to move away from it's multiplayer angling.

In the end player count is a very real reason we can't consistently run/load SMH's, and unless wholesale changes start being made player count isn't a problem that's likely going to magically fix itself.

My defense of swabbies hinges on a few key points which I'll reiterate cause I am passionate about this issue even if it's likely never going to actually be implemented:

1) Player-count doesn't allow multiple larger vessels to enter an SMH at the same time and at certain times of day (Late evening game time) loading even a single Xebec is borderline impossible.

2) Content diversity. How is it bad to have more things to do? As it stands there is next to no large ship content that is available to the majority of players. Adding swabbies fixes this by adding three alternative forms of content.

3) Allows jobbers to leave during without ruining the voyage for the remaining 20+ people.

4) Removes the need for jobbing pirates to remain on station for the entirety of the run. Imagine getting to puzzle in bursts instead of being expected to station the entire duration of a 4 hour run.

5) SMH's are still one of the higher risk voyages in the game. With more ships entering into maps together that risk increases more so. More sinks = more ships being replaced and a healthier economy.

6) Makes the voyages infinitely more accessible.

At this point I truly don't believe it's ever going to happen, but to argue it's a bad thing is just silly. Any change regardless of how small or large wouldn't be bad, because at the very least it'd show us this game was still in active (albeit slow) development. Considering the player count numbers continue to dwindle I don't know that even the odd run or two we get now will even still be possible for much longer.

It's been 231 days since the swabbie change
It's been 221 days since I requested the swabbies be added to HS/Atlantis.
[Feb 19, 2019 12:18:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Those are irrelevant numbers. How about keeping track of the number of days since a developer last posted?
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 19, 2019 5:20:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Those are irrelevant numbers. How about keeping track of the number of days since a developer last posted?

How about you actually give a contribution to the post than trying to derail it. I give the guy credit for keep going for over 7 months, but Sov def deserves a response from developers.

[Feb 19, 2019 6:24:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

The issue is that the "fix" actually is just a spiral of doom. If dub prices go up, and that causes product prices to go up, and we respond by upping the payouts, then everyone have more money, but there are still just as many dubs. Supply/demand means people will end up paying more for those dubs. That means product prices get pushed higher, and we have to up the payouts again...

The dub prices are high because there aren't many of them being bought. If you up the payouts, they will be pushed even higher.
-Porglit on Emerald
-Shadetemplar on Obsidian
[Feb 23, 2019 8:08:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

The issue is that the "fix" actually is just a spiral of doom. If dub prices go up, and that causes product prices to go up, and we respond by upping the payouts, then everyone have more money, but there are still just as many dubs. Supply/demand means people will end up paying more for those dubs. That means product prices get pushed higher, and we have to up the payouts again...

The dub prices are high because there aren't many of them being bought. If you up the payouts, they will be pushed even higher.

The same has happened, when greedy brigands were introduced and they made pillaging enjoyable again. Dub prices are already redicilous when I returned in the year 2014 dubs were around 2k, when Kraken Hunt came out and the pay from that is incredibly high, Dubs shot up to 4k+

+1 to a Fix adding skilled swabbies to SMHs. Prices will go up and pay will increase in everything look at blockades. Blockades 5 years ago you would have 2-3k a seg, but now even an Outpost goes for 9999 no matter who blockades who.
[Mar 1, 2019 3:46:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sovereignty

Time for another update.

It's been 255 days since the swabbie change
It's been 245 days since I requested the swabbies be added to HS/Atlantis.

Only 17 Pirates online on Obsidian at 12:48 AM game time on March 15th, 2019.
18 Pirates needed to staff a Junk for a cit run. (Short 1 Pirate).
30 Pirates needed to staff a War Brig for a cit run. (Short 13 Pirates).

Maybe it's time to test allowing swabbies out on Ice. What's the harm in it?
[Mar 15, 2019 1:43:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Time for another update.

no it isn't. it's time for you to realize that there hasn't been, and most likely will never be, any developers to make these changes.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Mar 15, 2019 4:26:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Time for another update.

no it isn't. it's time for you to realize that there hasn't been, and most likely will never be, any developers to make these changes.

In all fairness, I believe that he meant it was time for him to post another update of the sorry status of the game. After all, that is within our purview, isn't it?
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Mar 15, 2019 11:37:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Time for another update.

Man you really love to derail threads don't you? Why don't you contribute as I've said to you in numerous threads. Instead of trying to kill every single thread like LJamethyst has done in the past 4 years?

+1 For Sov

[Mar 15, 2019 7:52:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

Man you really love to derail threads don't you? Why don't you contribute as I've said to you in numerous threads. Instead of trying to kill every single thread like LJamethyst has done in the past 4 years?

+1 For Sov

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shinito at Mar 16, 2019 5:42:00 AM]
[Mar 16, 2019 5:41:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

+1 For Sov

Leave her, Johnny, leave her!

Just logged on actually, only like 20 online on Obsidian, idk how I could fill a WB lantis at this time.

[Mar 27, 2019 12:02:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 107   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates