• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1244 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Uncabear

With the full release of obsidian, the Need to wipe it! Reply to this Post

We are looking forward to the full release of Obsidian on July the 6th with the advertising and hopefully new players to accompany it. That having been said with the early release, Grey havens was overly generous in un-banning scores of people who were guilty of botting in the past. These individuals of course all came back and many of them reverted to their old ways, botting on all the stations driving up the stats on every puzzle making it extremely hard for even experienced players to score well on the puzzles. How do you think new players are going to feel when the highest score they can expect to get on a station is poor or booched because the scoring is so tweeked towards botting? If we the experienced players are so discouraged how will a new player to the game fair? I can tell you after a week they will probably move on to a game with more satisfaction they can perform well. The stats of every current player must be wiped clean and their scoring histories to reset the whole ocean on scoring else we will see a small blip for a week or two then the population will go back to 100 or less players on Obsidian. For the record every time I have logged on recently and checked the numbers Emerald had more players on-line then Obsidian.
----------------------------------------
Unca
Born on Malachite sailing all oceans
Monarch of Argosy

[Jun 30, 2018 3:57:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: With the full release of obsidian, the Need to wipe it! Reply to this Post

While I agree a fresh start would be smart and be best for the game, it doesn't sound likely. As far as your concerns if the boters are not active for I think its 10 days their stats on that station don't count to the curve. The curve has been discussed in depth in other post and while I agree it needs to be fixed for new players it is a good working curve.... If there are enough new players it will self adjust, I don't see that happening.

Example: I don't play Obsidian often at all so my stats don't work into the curve unless I log in and play the puzzle.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

!!!Bad Social Player!!! Can't keep track of who is who....
[Jun 30, 2018 4:12:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

A wipe would drive away everybody but for the < 10 people who bought way too many doubloons. Many people have put hundreds (some even thousands) of hours in to collecting their ships, familiars, pets, trinkets, furniture etc. Why punish them so only the 6 people who tried the pay-to-win approach can be happy, to the detriment of the other 99% of the playerbase?

Scoring will be fixed when there are more active new players.
[Jun 30, 2018 5:55:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tierios

^ This *Applauds*
Scar On Obsidian Ocean
[Jun 30, 2018 6:03:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

We are looking forward to the full release of Obsidian on July the 6th with the advertising and hopefully new players to accompany it. That having been said with the early release, Grey havens was overly generous in un-banning scores of people who were guilty of botting in the past. These individuals of course all came back and many of them reverted to their old ways, botting on all the stations driving up the stats on every puzzle making it extremely hard for even experienced players to score well on the puzzles. How do you think new players are going to feel when the highest score they can expect to get on a station is poor or booched because the scoring is so tweeked towards botting? If we the experienced players are so discouraged how will a new player to the game fair? I can tell you after a week they will probably move on to a game with more satisfaction they can perform well. The stats of every current player must be wiped clean and their scoring histories to reset the whole ocean on scoring else we will see a small blip for a week or two then the population will go back to 100 or less players on Obsidian. For the record every time I have logged on recently and checked the numbers Emerald had more players on-line then Obsidian.

No need to target robyns :P

To actual matters, What would you plan to achieve?, with this ocean getting wiped? if the ocean was wiped everyone would yes start over again. But newer players would find it much more difficult to start from scratch. So really if the ocean was wiped it will probably anger the current players that do actually have stuff to help newer players on voyages and etc. I'd rather start on Emerald than start on Ice because, on emerald for example I can buy things I need to get me started, while on Ice it will take longer to develop and get an advantage.
I understand how you feel about the botters, but nothing will change if wipe or no wipe, they will continue botting because they do not care until they get banned and try to ban evade like 1-10 times.
So really I pretty much agree with what joshuawhelan said.
Stan is a true hero.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, all those wasted new players :/
[Jun 30, 2018 7:01:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

A wipe would drive away everybody but for the < 10 people who bought way too many doubloons. Many people have put hundreds (some even thousands) of hours in to collecting their ships, familiars, pets, trinkets, furniture etc. Why punish them so only the 6 people who tried the pay-to-win approach can be happy, to the detriment of the other 99% of the playerbase?

seconded for the love of god dont reset the server
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jun 30, 2018 7:04:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Or it could bring back the people who left which now far out number currently playing. Provided they actually fixed some things.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

!!!Bad Social Player!!! Can't keep track of who is who....
[Jun 30, 2018 8:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Unca wrote: 
How do you think new players are going to feel when the highest score they can expect to get on a station is poor or booched because the scoring is so tweeked towards botting?
The stats of every current player must be wiped clean and their scoring histories to reset the whole ocean on scoring.

Joshuawhelan's post is spot-on regarding the economic aspect of a wipe. OP specifically mentioned wiping scores though, no mention or hint at the Booty tab and others.

Regardless, I'd vote No as well.

1)The botting problem affecting scores is sufficiently covered by Filthyjake.

2) I understand your concern for the new players, but resetting people's scores doesn't change anything. Assuming everyone stays, their puzzling ability builds up the curve again to its former strength. The veterans would always have that edge over newcomers, simply having spent more time with the puzzles. #plsdontwipemybrain
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Jun 30, 2018 11:16:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

As noted in our announcement post: We are not planning to wipe the ocean for a variety of reasons, many of which were already mentioned.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Jul 2, 2018 12:04:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uncabear

In case you only read the title and not what I wrote I was specifically talking about the scoring. Keep all the ships/pet/fams but clear everyones stats for each puzzle and any associated stored history of scores. The system may work as Filthyjake alluded to that after 10 or so days of non-activity your scores no longer count, but as far as I am aware the scoring methods /details are proprietary to grey havens and haven't been published. Therefore in fairness to all new players and to those of us who have played for years please do a clearing of all scoring data to start the scoring curve anew.
Unca
Born on Malachite sailing all oceans
Monarch of Argosy

[Jul 3, 2018 11:21:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

In case you only read the title and not what I wrote I was specifically talking about the scoring. Keep all the ships/pet/fams but clear everyones stats for each puzzle and any associated stored history of scores. The system may work as Filthyjake alluded to that after 10 or so days of non-activity your scores no longer count, but as far as I am aware the scoring methods /details are proprietary to grey havens and haven't been published. Therefore in fairness to all new players and to those of us who have played for years please do a clearing of all scoring data to start the scoring curve anew.

As we have described the structure of the scoring curve to you already, the only kind of wipe which will reinvigorate the scoring system would be the bannination of all dirty botting pirates from our shores.

Because of the idle timeout on both puzzle standings as well as inactive pirates, only actively puzzling pirates contribute anything to the score curves.

Because the nature of duty reports and puzzle standings is completely skill-based, merely wiping the score numbers would only produce a temporary blip in the graph, until everyone puzzled enough to re-populate the database. It would have essentially the same numbers as before, because you haven't actually changed its input values.

So the way to meaningfully change the input values is: bannination of bad actors, or also: recruitment of greenies who won't become frustrated (I will pray for you.) The curves are exponential because they depend heavily on the presence of a vast majority of low-skilled players who actively play the puzzle. In these very lean times, there is no such thing as a true greenie anymore, only a skilled ban evader. The actual, inexperienced greenies are reliably and repeatedly alienated by the various obstacles to fun that have already been discussed ad nauseam in these hallowed fora.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 2 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Jul 3, 2018 11:36:39 PM]
[Jul 3, 2018 11:35:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates