• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 392 times and has 9 replies
Ffaustas

can you swap names with a pirate ? Reply to this Post

Can you swap names with a pirate ? I just recently got 30 rogue marks and wanted to change my name, I first requested to be able to change my name with the petition but it got denied, because as far as I know, i've heard that you are able to change your name by requesting a petition, is this true ?
[Jun 21, 2018 10:04:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: can you swap names with a pirate ? Reply to this Post

You can change your name via the Rogue Mark Shoppe: https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rogue_mark_shoppe#Rename_pirate

If you want to swap names with another pirate they must change their pirate name first, and then you can take their name. This would cost a total of 60 RMs.
----------------------------------------
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Jun 21, 2018 2:25:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ffaustas

You can change your name via the Rogue Mark Shoppe: https://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rogue_mark_shoppe#Rename_pirate

If you want to swap names with another pirate they must change their pirate name first, and then you can take their name. This would cost a total of 60 RMs.

Now what if the pirate hasn't been online for a long time ? What do I do ?
[Jun 21, 2018 3:32:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

If you know them you can contact them out side of the game and ask them for it, otherwise the name is theirs until they give it up.
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
Subscribe for $49.95 a year
You can play free, with limited access. (just like no dubs)
[Jun 21, 2018 5:46:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Welllllll...

"Swapping" names is something that will take at least 90 Rogue marks, and/or the help of a Developer.

Let's say I am named "Joseph" and my friend is named "Jack". For us to swap names, one of us will need to rename to a third name first, such as "Joseph" to "David". Then, "Jack" can become "Joseph" because it is free, and finally, "David" is free to become "Jack".

Theoretically, this should not be a problem. You could use any old third-name because it is ostensibly temporary. If someone really wanted to mess with you, he could maliciously steal one of your names while you were in the process of "swapping" because it is not an atomic operation. This is where a Developer might be able to help, but I kind of doubt that they will want to special-case something like this. They will probably just tell you to use the Rogue Marks and take your chances.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Jun 21, 2018 9:07:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

You can post in the parley forum of whichever ocean this is supposed to happen on, asking if anyone knows how to contact the person with that pirate.
#TeamEvil
#TeamShadowFleet
[Jun 23, 2018 5:24:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Ffaustas

You can post in the parley forum of whichever ocean this is supposed to happen on, asking if anyone knows how to contact the person with that pirate.

Now what if it's actually a greenie, who hasn't been active aswell, because the profile has no stats, no hearties or any progress on the game
[Jun 23, 2018 10:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Now what if it's actually a greenie, who hasn't been active aswell, because the profile has no stats, no hearties or any progress on the game

Oh, there are thousands and thousands of greenies who seem to have been created for the sole purpose of squatting on a good name. Want to list all the "JackSparrows" who don't actually play?

If it's a greenie who hasn't logged in since 2017, chances are they belong to an account that's "protected" by a purchase and they will never, ever be purged. And Ocean Masters are wholly unwilling to usurp these abandoned greenie pirates just to reclaim a good name.

Sorry, but you will simply have to be more creative in thinking of a pirate name.
[Jun 23, 2018 11:10:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Oh, there are thousands and thousands of greenies who seem to have been created for the sole purpose of squatting on a good name.

In case anyone thinks that LJ is exaggerative, here are some population plots from right after Obsidian was opened. Note that exactly 10 days afterwards, these squatted names go dormant and thus drop off the island population info. So, yeah, maybe a couple thousand names were squatted in the first week, but I'm sure many many more have been added since.

Here is a plot of the day-to-day changes in the population (deltas):

Want to list all the "JackSparrows" who don't actually play?

I don't know how to get such a list, so yeah, I would be interested...
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jun 23, 2018 11:52:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I wonder how many of those in your chart had intended to blackmail or at least "sell" the name and/or account to some other victim who wanted it really bad?

And I wonder how many of those victims would close the deal, only to find that selling or sharing accounts or passwords is bannable?
[Jun 23, 2018 12:07:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates