• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3752 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Valmeia

Quality of Life Suggestions for Obsidian Reply to this Post

Lately it seems like Obsidian is starting to decline in activity, and online players. First let me clarify; I am aware there are bigger problems at play which would need to be tackled in order to really stimulate activity on the game. Similarly, I am aware that Puzzle Pirates is simply an older game, and the days of having several thousand players online are, unfortunately, (likely) passed.

Now, with that said, I think a few quality of life changes could greatly improve the Ocean's health, and functionality with (hopefully) relatively small time commitments as far as implementation goes. My apologies if some of these have been mentioned before, I don't want to necro old threads.

1. If possible, import the puzzle scoring curve from one of the older oceans. As it stands, a lot of older players are unable to access higher end content which requires 'elite pirates' to complete. Unfortunately, this ocean has a very difficult curve because there's a great number of old salts who are on a whole different level of incredible at puzzles, and very few newer players coming to learn, with even fewer staying long term. I think adjusting this curve would allow more players to do content they enjoy, while simultaneously making the game a lot more welcoming to new players that could be otherwise discouraged by constantly scoring "poor" or "fine".

2. This one might be more difficult to implement, but I think turning off being engaged in PvP while within your own faction's arch could be beneficial to the ocean. This would give newer navvers access to more difficult non-player engagements than greywaters, without the fear of losing their (or a crew member's) ship. If possible, it could be kept so the enemy faction could still be engaged against, as they are in enemy territory. However, if this is not possible, turning the PvP off in these regions entirely may improve the game experience for players who do not always want to be engaged in PvP. I understand the point of this ocean is to have more PvP, however the skill level of many existing pirates simply dwarfs a lot of the newcomers, and can make it incredibly difficult for new pirates to gain a better understanding of battle navigation when they don't have many opportunities to navigate against difficult opponents without losing their ship.

3. An island in the main arch which purchases gems. Perhaps by opening Mitjana or Melanaster island to settlement, with a market that purchases gems. If PvP were turned off in faction arches, this would give PvP players a new area to patrol for targets. Similarly, if it were the only island that purchased gems, players would have to weigh the risk vs the reward of running gems to the island. Similarly, opening a large island for settlement could spark new excitement and competitions on the ocean.

4. Fix petition functionality and forum account creation. This one arguably isn't directly game design, but it would make a huge difference to quality of life. I had to petition one of the OMs for help making a forum account because the "register" button brought me to a log in page, with no option to register for a new account. Similarly, I could not reply to the petition without getting an error code which said that I need to fill in the description box, even when the description box had content in it. Fixing both of these issues would be greatly appreciated, and would make it much easier for more players to get involved. While I'm on the topic, thank you to the OM which helped me with the petition! I wished I could have said it at the time. <3 :)

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this. I hope we can discuss these ideas, along with ideas you may have.
[Jun 8, 2018 11:15:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Quality of Life Suggestions for Obsidian Reply to this Post

1 Obsidian is an elite ocean by nature, with the pvp "main attraction". The whole design goes around the warring factions, which makes it difficult for people to want newer players on any run worth doing, no stats no hire, no sword isn't liked as well. The cost of getting into the game on a dub ocean is harsh on a new player.
your want a sword, rank badge, clothes cost a fair amount too. I don't think the curve is as flawed if people only had one pirate, but when you can have many the skilled players can easily keep the curve high. Example: Distilling 1 Distiller can have at least 9 accounts Reno+ and make good poe taking jobs. Same goes for all Land. The same can be used in all puzzles. So this effects the curve a fair amount when your looking at a game with 100 -200 players but 900-1800 pirates as the players who are not good at the puzzles don't play them on their alts.

2. Interesting Idea, I think ti would work even better if they could include arch's that are majority controlled by X Faction. Only issue again with 9 pirates many have accounts in both sides and can easily bypass this for an easy target, much like the owl exploit.

3. Gems will be a great addition to the game with the small size of the ocean, will come I would assume when they release more islands and the markets are up.

* Issues from an Obsidian leaver after 1500+ hours
-main attraction PvP is seriously flawed and really a waist if not fixed
-PvP reward system is seriously flawed just hop on Top Shelf's daily sink to get your reward
-slow release has removed any real "fresh" start to the game
-pay to win
-fairly toxic environment, in global and in general
-factions mean nothing, look at the AH and CIS apposing faction alliance.

* Fixes
-fix the pvp system(s)
-block cross jobbing or remove the factions
-wipe the servers and release the full game

Keep your hate, you can like or dislike my opinions, we can have a conversation. Those are my reasons to what I see broken and the solutions that would bring be back. And yes I still log on and play the kades I am like a poe sink.
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

!!!Bad Social Player!!! Can't keep track of who is who....
[Jun 9, 2018 4:16:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

In response to Filthyjake:

for your response to 1: This does bring up a very good point. While the pvp is intended to be the "main attraction", it falls very short. Older players who are established on the ocean probably have enough dubs or friends (either works) to bypass the intended PvP system, and unfortunately this generally means it is bypassed in favor of PvP. While this can be a good thing at times, from my perspective it seems like it is only making the ocean more hostile to newer or learning players. Ultimately, the "fantasy" or "concept" that the ocean was created with falls flat in reality. There's not really anything to encourage real faction vs faction conflict, and they've really just become a device for players to say "Which friend do I need to talk to (or which alt do i need to play) in order to sink X ship on the notice board." While I think fixing the curve would alleviate a lot of pressure from this, and would be the biggest quality of life fix overall, there may also be ways to alter the game in order to try to encourage faction rivalry to bring it more in line with the fantasy or concept the ocean was created with.

The only problem is, I'm not sure what could be implemented without taking up too much man power. Maybe it could be possible to introduce a "mutiny" mechanic where the different faction pirates will engage each other in a sword fight on the boat if there is an attempt to engage the opposite faction in PvP (Would not affect warring flags on the same faction). It could kick the losing side off the boat, and i suppose reward the boat to a random player on the SF's winning side in a similar manner to skeletons/zombies awarding a player a map, with the boat staying in the owner's control if their side wins. Alternatively, if the vessel owner's side loses, the boat gets sunk. However, I'm not quite sure if that's just my idea of fun, or if it's actually a terrible idea. Although I think the mechanic could be used in a rather fun way to run faction vs faction events where someone on the winning side gets a boat.

In response to your 2. I'm not sure there's a way to prevent people bypassing the faction system without drastically overhauling it, so at this point I honestly think it's better to just ignore it unless the context is a discussion on how to overhaul it. I like the idea you have here, but I think in the ocean's current state it wouldn't quite work, since there are only two islands and one main arch. Definitely if we start getting more islands and arch's, this could be a fantastic way to encourage faction rivalry. It would also make interarch travel very interesting, as traveling from an arch controlled by one faction to another's would be a "no man's zone" where anything goes. Perhaps future arch's could be designed with a longer interarch route to keep people there for a while, but with increased chances of getting events like expos, or perhaps with slightly higher PoE pay outs than within the main arch's (not wildseas levels of pay though).

as for your complains and proposed fixes;

I definitely have to concur that the main PvP reward system is flawed, and that the ocean's community can be volatile at time. I think part of this is just due to frustration- we all like the game and want it to do well, but we aren't in a position to directly fix what we perceive to be problems.

Unfortunately, because there is real money through dub purchases involved, I think wiping the ocean would prompt massive backlash and essentially kill the ocean. (and possibly other oceans, depending on how much player cross over there is.)

Straight up blocking cross faction jobbing would also probably harm the game more than it would help. The community is small enough as it is, and content like HS or Atlantis already can't be run by most players. This would either force everyone to move to one faction depending on which one has an established pirate running this sort of content, or it would simply kill jobbing for it outright. The way I see it, outside of PvP content, Both factions could essentially be thinking "I don't like you, but this benefits me as well." I have to agree in regards to PvP though. If changes aren't made there to make factions matter at least a little bit for PvP, they're really only functioning as a device to get owls, and sink ships without declaring war.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Valmeia at Jun 9, 2018 11:54:03 AM]
[Jun 9, 2018 11:49:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I am sorry for not being clearer. Block cross jobbing for Kades and Pvp battles as attackers

The factions are warring, so its ill logical that 50% of the jobbers would come from the enemy. You also wouldn't help the enemy attack your team. The issue is there really is no desire for the factions or forced teams, its an unwanted anoyance could easily be removed, the same could go with the PvP system and rewards as they are useless.

The game is good enough for a fresh launch on the new ocean with a few of the added features to work with the classic design.

Good changes IMHO,
-shop closing and dusting (I would expand to stalls with a bribe button to save it)
-building Limits on the islands
-the inability to build on spawns
-the small size of the ocean is very nice (nothing is a days sail away).

Regarding the server wipe it wouldn't be popular, but neither is the game as is. They said they would reimburse the people plus 10% if it was needed. Either way is a bad path.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Jun 9, 2018 2:06:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

I think as far as stalls go, they're already difficult to manage outside of PV and faction homes because of the increased difficulty of getting supplies, as well as processed goods that are required for more complicated recipes. Creating a bribe button to keep stalls could work, but there would have to be some sort of motivation for having stalls out in those areas in the first place. Perhaps larger storage space, or markets generating additional raw materials?

I still have to disagree wiping the ocean. Reimbursing people, even with an additional 10%, would wipe the time people have put into progressing and collecting their ingame treasures, some of which were only available for a limited time. It may also not be feasible to reimburse, as some people may want outright refunds. Implementing large changes that may be entirely game changing is one thing, resetting everyone's progress, time, and real-life money is another.
[Jun 9, 2018 3:25:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I think as far as stalls go, they're already difficult to manage outside of PV and faction homes because of the increased difficulty of getting supplies, as well as processed goods that are required for more complicated recipes. Creating a bribe button to keep stalls could work, but there would have to be some sort of motivation for having stalls out in those areas in the first place. Perhaps larger storage space, or markets generating additional raw materials?

I still have to disagree wiping the ocean. Reimbursing people, even with an additional 10%, would wipe the time people have put into progressing and collecting their ingame treasures, some of which were only available for a limited time. It may also not be feasible to reimburse, as some people may want outright refunds. Implementing large changes that may be entirely game changing is one thing, resetting everyone's progress, time, and real-life money is another.

So how to fix the pvp exploit? if you leave all the exploiters with the goods gotten through fixing matches they are worthless and hold zero value. With out the reward the pvp system has no reason to do them. The war tabs a joke the bounties as well.

The 2 huge differences from Classic to Dark Seas, is broken. Factions, and PvP. Probably why you see people returning to the classic oceans. The PvP was a great addition the flaw came with the exploit and now its been going for months, and daily sinks planed.

Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Jun 9, 2018 4:16:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

Instead of wiping the entire ocean, I think it would be easier to instead create new faction trinket rewards when wide system fixes are rolled out. They could convert existing faction rewards to be rewarded by a different type of trinket currency. Perhaps beachcomber trinkets, for example, as they do not have many rewards at the moment. In the same patch, existing faction trinkets could be converted over to the trinket that the existing rewards are converted to. Perhaps even at a 2:1 ratio to placate some frustration it would cause. This way, the rewards are accessible to future players, but only progress which is widely affected by the exploit would be reset. It would also make it possible to bring these rewards to the older oceans, without vastly revamping how their in-game systems work. Bringing them some new goodies as well, to make something fun and positive come out the situation.
[Jun 9, 2018 6:24:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Instead of wiping the entire ocean, I think it would be easier to instead create new faction trinket rewards when wide system fixes are rolled out. They could convert existing faction rewards to be rewarded by a different type of trinket currency. Perhaps beachcomber trinkets, for example, as they do not have many rewards at the moment. In the same patch, existing faction trinkets could be converted over to the trinket that the existing rewards are converted to. Perhaps even at a 2:1 ratio to placate some frustration it would cause. This way, the rewards are accessible to future players, but only progress which is widely affected by the exploit would be reset. It would also make it possible to bring these rewards to the older oceans, without vastly revamping how their in-game systems work. Bringing them some new goodies as well, to make something fun and positive come out the situation.

I don't think wiping an active-ish ocean is a good idea, since they'll mostly move back to emerald or quit all together (could lose 150-200 players).
Your ideas won't work unfortunately since people can make alt accounts and still try to get them trinkets, the problem is dev(s) do not think outside the box enough, I agree with Jake 100% on this, PvPs are exploitable which makes it a joke.
Most updates in the past 1-2 years (not very many updates) people on the game have found ways to get exploits and to still use them to their advantage, for example competitions have been shortened by normally 3 hours for all sea/crafting puzzles to 1 hour, to stop people winning on multiple oceans. Therefore it also has its flaw, gives very small chance of people winning, piracy is doable but got to make sure you can do it well on first attempt, crafting I don't see that as possible at all especially with alchemy in the mix. To the point my example shows how a situation is an exploit but how they fix it, doesn't help others on having a chance of winning.
But to the ocean side of things, We have 3 dead oceans that nobody does anything on them so really to fix that issue, make a new ocean for those players.
My suggestion or 2 cents as people say, would be is a new ocean where you can transfer pirates to for the older players, since right now Obsidian is a lost cause. You can't hide it, its a fact.
Stan is a true hero.

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, all those wasted new players :/
[Jun 10, 2018 7:00:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

I keep reading about how the pvp system is exploitable due to the daily faction sink.

But i mean it's pvp, I don't believe there would be a system in any way that could be created to avoid being exploited. Someone somehow will find a way to get more trinkets then intended if that's what they want to do and the reward is untradeable so yay for them?

The real question is, is that really a major problem? Was it a really big deal before this last update that people win a untradeable familiar for sinking their own sloop?
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jun 10, 2018 7:34:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

The real question is, is that really a major problem?

It's a full on pvp ocean. Ofcourse it's a major problem...
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Jun 10, 2018 7:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Why though? How does people abusing the pvp system affect you?

And more over fixing it on such a small ocean would be extremely difficult as you would have to figure out how to separate real pvp from fake ones while allowing everyone to still pvp normally.
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Jun 10, 2018 8:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

People said if there is no reason to PvP. They fixed that with the reward system, creating a reason which the exploiters removed. Whats the point of working for an prize that others laze for? A WF sinking a sloop fair fight... yes the sloop attacked the WF perhaps the BS should launch anytime there is such an imbalance in the fight.

Make a rule add it to the TOS that fixing matches is a violation. Those that still exploit it likely brake other rules as well and can find them selves banned.

As it sits now there is no reason to pvp legitimately, on the ocean that promises insistence pvp action.

As a player that enjoyed the real pvp's, prior to the release of the reward system I personally see it as a big deal, and chose to just return to the classic ocean as many others are as well or leaving all together.

Over the month Emerald has Surpassed Obsidian in average daily players.

Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Jun 10, 2018 9:28:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

Why though? How does people abusing the pvp system affect you?

And more over fixing it on such a small ocean would be extremely difficult as you would have to figure out how to separate real pvp from fake ones while allowing everyone to still pvp normally.

What is the point of a pvp ocean if pvp means nothing
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Jun 10, 2018 9:50:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

I don't think wiping an active-ish ocean is a good idea, since they'll mostly move back to emerald or quit all together (could lose 150-200 players).
Your ideas won't work unfortunately since people can make alt accounts and still try to get them trinkets, the problem is dev(s) do not think outside the box enough, I agree with Jake 100% on this, PvPs are exploitable which makes it a joke.

Could you clarify in which way the idea wouldn't work, please? The intention of this thread is to have a discussion, and for the sake of discussion I would appreciate more detailed elaboration. It could help polish suggestions, as well as clarify if there are any communication errors, as things don't always come through on text the way they are intended. :)
[Jun 10, 2018 10:34:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Could you clarify in which way the idea wouldn't work, please? The intention of this thread is to have a discussion, and for the sake of discussion I would appreciate more detailed elaboration. It could help polish suggestions, as well as clarify if there are any communication errors, as things don't always come through on text the way they are intended. :)

It won't work because, a person can just make a new account, transfer dubs/poe to that account to make a crew and etc, then just do daily sinks to get those new rewards you suggested, like the example filthyjake showed before and people just get their owls that way, which as I said makes it very irrelevant. It is a discussion I'm just telling you my thoughts on what will happen, when you bring a new idea to the game always think, how is this exploitable? how can players get an advantage? if they can then the idea will fail 100%. Every opinion is welcomed, its a shame the forums are more active than the oceans lol. Is that explained enough for you on how players will take advantage of an exploit of your idea?
Stan is a true hero.

[Jun 10, 2018 5:37:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

It won't work because, a person can just make a new account, transfer dubs/poe to that account to make a crew and etc, then just do daily sinks to get those new rewards you suggested, like the example filthyjake showed before and people just get their owls that way, which as I said makes it very irrelevant. It is a discussion I'm just telling you my thoughts on what will happen, when you bring a new idea to the game always think, how is this exploitable? how can players get an advantage? if they can then the idea will fail 100%. Every opinion is welcomed, its a shame the forums are more active than the oceans lol. Is that explained enough for you on how players will take advantage of an exploit of your idea?

Ahh okay, thank you for clarifying. I think I explained what I was trying to say poorly, and the point I was trying to get across got lost. I was not trying to suggest how to fix the PvP system itself, That's a whole problem that probably needs it's own thread. I'm suggesting that instead of wiping the entire ocean, the current rewards and all existing faction trinkets be converted to a different trinket currency at the same time as a patch to repair the PvP system exploits. Essentially if a fix is figured out, instead of wiping all progress on the ocean in order to start again, the progress that was specifically affected by the exploit would be soft-wiped. This would bring value to a currency that currently has few uses, or allow for a new (character bound) currency to be created. This would ensure future players are not locked out of existing prizes, while also ensuring that the new PvP rewards are not able to be obtained through trinkets that came from the exploit.

Im also not suggesting removing faction trinket currency entirely, for clarification. I'm suggesting removing the currency pre-dating a PvP exploit fix by converting it to another kind of trinket currency which is not obtained by PvP.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Valmeia at Jun 10, 2018 6:09:55 PM]
[Jun 10, 2018 6:06:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

This would bring value to a currency that currently has few uses, or allow for a new (character bound) currency to be created. This would ensure future players are not locked out of existing prizes, while also ensuring that the new PvP rewards are not able to be obtained through trinkets that came from the exploit.

Im also not suggesting removing faction trinket currency entirely, for clarification. I'm suggesting removing the currency pre-dating a PvP exploit fix by converting it to another kind of trinket currency which is not obtained by PvP.

I think a significant problem with this kind of thinking is that faction trinkets (and owls) have no value, and their non-tradeable status suggests (to me anyway) they weren't intended to have value to begin with.

Would adding more trinkets/familiars/pets that are untradeable as rewards for other in game feats really improve QOL for what little playerbase is left?

I don't personally think so.
[Jun 10, 2018 7:47:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

This would bring value to a currency that currently has few uses, or allow for a new (character bound) currency to be created. This would ensure future players are not locked out of existing prizes, while also ensuring that the new PvP rewards are not able to be obtained through trinkets that came from the exploit.

I think a significant problem with this kind of thinking is that faction trinkets (and owls) have no value, and their non-tradeable status suggests (to me anyway) they weren't intended to have value to begin with.

Would adding more trinkets/familiars/pets that are untradeable as rewards for other in game feats really improve QOL for what little playerbase is left?

I don't personally think so.

From my understanding in this thread, a lot of the discontent with the PvP system is because the system can be exploited, making the rewards meaningless/worthless. I think some people believe the rewards should have, and would have had, value were it not for the exploits. So I think for them, fixing the PvP and associated reward system would greatly improve QOL for them.

However, fixing the PvP system exploit is, again, a larger topic that would need it's own thread to really get into. While that is the way discussion went, the original intention of this topic was to try and discuss less time consuming fixes that could improve the health of the ocean. I agree that the exploit isn't the top priority yet, but perhaps that is because I believe the problem can be fixed with solutions other than wiping the ocean. It may help alleviate the problem for people who are heavily concerned by the exploit if confirmation on the problem being worked on were given. However, overall I believe there are other fixes that are more pressing and necessary at the present. Specifically, I think the most important changes that need to be made should be focused towards making the ocean a little friendlier to new players and mid-tier pirates who may be otherwise discouraged from playing on Obsidian, or Puzzle Pirates in general, due to their initial experiences.

I put what I see to be the some of the most pressing problem areas, along with potential solutions, in my first post. What parts of Obsidian do you see as most problematic to the ocean's health at present, and what sort of fixes would you suggest to implement without entirely overhauling the ocean's systems? (If possible that is =P )
[Jun 10, 2018 10:49:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

I put what I see to be the some of the most pressing problem areas, along with potential solutions, in my first post. What parts of Obsidian do you see as most problematic to the ocean's health at present, and what sort of fixes would you suggest to implement without entirely overhauling the ocean's systems? (If possible that is =P )

Fair enough! I think I agree with your first point. Obsidian is, and has been a very very difficult ocean to puzzle on. Just getting to Ren+ for some of the labor puzzles to provide expert labor is a chore in of itself. The scoring curve is likely the culprit, but I'm not sure an importing of other older oceans curves (if it's possible) would fix it.

Rather some deliberate tweaking needs to be done (Or full revamps though at this point I don't think that's likely).

As far as personal QOL changes I'd like to see:

1) Allow some form of labor-badge renewal that doesn't require the current badge to dust first.

2) Allow all pirates to whisk to any colonized island for free from the docks.

3) Add a go-to button for roomates and stall managers similar to the one home owners and stall owners currently have.

4) Allow pirates on board vessels to see the notice board and what other vessels are loading.

5) Add more and better swabbies to allow solo pirates to fill large ships for pillages, and enable them to get into SMH's faster.
[Jun 11, 2018 3:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

If importing the curve from an older ocean wouldn't fix it, I believe there was a suggestion in one of the topics of making rankings up to Ren or GM to be based on puzzle performance, and not rankings. Then have only the top rankings (Ult, Leg, and possibly GM) be based on the current ranking system. It might take longer to implement, but perhaps that could be a way of fixing the puzzle scoring/ranking instead?

As for your suggestions, I really like those. The only potential problem i see with the fifth suggestion is that it could make it more difficult for lower to mid tier pirates to be able to be jobbed if the swabbies are doing better for too small of a cost. This wouldn't be as bad of a problem if the curve was fixed first, as there would be more pirates able to perform at a high level. Regardless, I could see the swabbies taking a cut of the pay like a player pirate does as part of a way to encourage choosing humans when possible, but it still wouldn't be quite enough to balance the stat vs cost issue. How many more swabbies do you mean? Or are you suggesting the same default amounts we have now, but they don't leave until the ship is out of empty space and needs to make room for players, or until they're planked?
[Jun 11, 2018 12:48:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

How exactly do people think "Importing the scoring curve from another ocean" works. Is Obsidian actually scored fundamentally differently than elsewhere?

What the other oceans have is "A bunch of bad scores weighing down the bottom of the curve so it's easier to be higher up the curve"
[Jun 11, 2018 2:14:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

How many more swabbies do you mean? Or are you suggesting the same default amounts we have now, but they don't leave until the ship is out of empty space and needs to make room for players, or until they're planked?

My ideal scenario involves bots filling a ship to capacity (While being substantially better than they currently are, and capable of things they currently aren't, like duty navigation and fraying) and joining players removing a bot.

While I understand the negative potential this has to the lesser skilled jobbers that would likely be passed over, I don't see it as a problem that should warrant the change not being tested at the very least.

I would argue that while the skill of players would lead to some not getting jobbed, it might also have a converse effect where in they are actively jobbed regardless of their skill due to the fact that every vessel now has a veritable cadre of skilled stationers ready to do whatever is asked of them at any moment.

No longer will that Novice/Able in every stat greenie who will simply laze the whole time be such a detriment. Rather if we adjust how real pirates impact booty (adding to how much is earned for instance, or being capable of certain tasks that bots wouldn't be, like THing or going for LL's) why wouldn't you take the minor hit of a potentially awful puzzler or lazer?

We'll also have the potential for so many more vessels to be out, the likelihood that not a single one has an extra space for a lazer or poor DR bilger who wants to learn the game is one I don't personally subscribe to.

All in all I see any change that puts more boats out doing things as significantly better for the game in all regards, though I do understand why such a drastic change to a game that's 14+ years old could be viewed as scary.

How exactly do people think "Importing the scoring curve from another ocean" works. Is Obsidian actually scored fundamentally differently than elsewhere?

What the other oceans have is "A bunch of bad scores weighing down the bottom of the curve so it's easier to be higher up the curve"

My understanding thus far isn't to "import" the curve exactly, but to match the curve more closely to the other production oceans which have their curves deflated by "a bunch of bad scores weighing down the bottom".

While I don't think anyone believes the Obsidian is scored differently, I don't think many people would argue that climbing ranks and getting decent DR's is the same on Obsidian as it is on say, Emerald.
[Jun 11, 2018 6:26:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

Which is the point. The older oceans should have a lot more data to go off of, and can more appropriately account for new or learning players. Obsidian's data pool is likely much smaller. I would argue it's not so much bad scores weighing down the curve, but rather a larger population of older pirates, with far fewer newer pirates to properly balance both extremes of the curve.

I would consider myself a mid-tier pirate. I'm not terrible at most of the puzzles, but I'm not fantastic at them either. However, my rank difference between Obsidian and Emerald is massive. My best station is rigging. On Emerald, I can score a consistent excellent, with fairly frequent incredibles. On Obsidian, I score goods, with an occasional excellent or fine. Unfortunately for me, this means that I can not get on most CI trips on obsidian, but I can get on them on Emerald. Similarly, I can only get on about half of all wildseas pillages I see up on the board.

When you mix in the possibility of being engaged in PvP encouraging more elitism on ships than other oceans, the situation becomes very daunting to new players. As a mid tier pirate, an average player, I can't consistently do a substantial chunk of the game's content. What about a new player? How in the seven seas are they expected to get much out of the game when they probably have access to even less content than I do? Their options for earning PoE without having to buy dubs is slim, and few players will buy dubs unless they're enjoying the game. Sure, they could go on the big SMHs. But those often take hours to load, and then a few more hours on top of that. Not everyone has that kind of time commitment. If they dont have the stats or trophies, they probably wont get on a CI or KH run. Similarly, they have little access to the higher pay pillages offered by the wildseas, and depending on how active PvP activity is, they may not be jobbed in main-arch pillies as well. There aren't many pillies running in greywaters, and sailing with the Navy pays next to nothing. Due to this, I think the curve is weighted too heavily against people who are not at the top, which is hurting the ocean and plays a part in discouraging anyone new from staying around.

I would argue that while the skill of players would lead to some not getting jobbed, it might also have a converse effect where in they are actively jobbed regardless of their skill due to the fact that every vessel now has a veritable cadre of skilled stationers ready to do whatever is asked of them at any moment.

No longer will that Novice/Able in every stat greenie who will simply laze the whole time be such a detriment. Rather if we adjust how real pirates impact booty (adding to how much is earned for instance, or being capable of certain tasks that bots wouldn't be, like THing or going for LL's) why wouldn't you take the minor hit of a potentially awful puzzler or lazer?

We'll also have the potential for so many more vessels to be out, the likelihood that not a single one has an extra space for a lazer or poor DR bilger who wants to learn the game is one I don't personally subscribe to.

All in all I see any change that puts more boats out doing things as significantly better for the game in all regards, though I do understand why such a drastic change to a game that's 14+ years old could be viewed as scary.

Hmm. What about only having as many bots as stations then? They wont leave until the boat is full (in order to make space for additional human pirates), but the bots are capable of doing defense or basic TH (But not pulling up chests, unless they are intended to generate and take pay like a player). This way, you're not making maximum profit unless you've got the boat full to capacity, but it's still encouraging people to be jobbed for stations if they're good at them, without increasing the load time.

I do like this idea a lot. If the bots were also good at the stations it would make a 3 hours dip into atlantis or Haunted seas feel a lot less daunting, as players would be able to rotate puzzles fairly freely during the run. It would definitely be nice to take a break from rigging to TH or bilge without risking hurting the run.
[Jun 11, 2018 7:04:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

Hmm. What about only having as many bots as stations then? They wont leave until the boat is full (in order to make space for additional human pirates), but the bots are capable of doing defense or basic TH (But not pulling up chests, unless they are intended to generate and take pay like a player). This way, you're not making maximum profit unless you've got the boat full to capacity, but it's still encouraging people to be jobbed for stations if they're good at them, without increasing the load time.

I do like this idea a lot. If the bots were also good at the stations it would make a 3 hours dip into atlantis or Haunted seas feel a lot less daunting, as players would be able to rotate puzzles fairly freely during the run. It would definitely be nice to take a break from rigging to TH or bilge without risking hurting the run.

That's not something I'm inclined to disagree with on either point. I'm not sure which implementation is better (As they both seem to address the same core concern and just sort of address just slightly differently).

The main reason for bots as far as I see it, is that the potential positives vastly outweigh the negatives.

Jobbers no longer need to worry about never getting picked on for jobbing as more boats means more opportunities (And thus more opportunities that aren't as strict/elite)

More boats out at sea means the game once again feels robust and alive, even if it's a tad bit artificial. This also means that in theory there should be more chances for everyone to do the things they enjoy, from PVPing to SMH's.

It would also remove the pretty unfun aspect of loading ships. Players would be able to get out to sea much faster allowing for a more fluid and enjoyable experience as far as I see it.
[Jun 11, 2018 7:20:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Which is the point. The older oceans should have a lot more data to go off of, and can more appropriately account for new or learning players. Obsidian's data pool is likely much smaller. I would argue it's not so much bad scores weighing down the curve, but rather a larger population of older pirates, with far fewer newer pirates to properly balance both extremes of the curve.

People complaining about puzzles, and wanting old ocean curves back because fines aren't good enough for those who actually practice the puzzles. Understandable, but its sounding very ridiculous, simple solution if you don't like the puzzles on Obsidian, go back to Emerald the population is already higher than Obsidian since that ocean is a failure.

My best station is rigging. On Emerald, I can score a consistent excellent, with fairly frequent incredibles. On Obsidian, I score goods, with an occasional excellent or fine.

No need to complain if your playing around with third party software.

No longer will that Novice/Able in every stat greenie who will simply laze the whole time be such a detriment.

Who cares if people laze and idle puzzles, its hilarious that people give a damn about that, people doing that helps the curve anyway more solid/ables the easier puzzles are anyway, who knows how many accs like that are on emerald compared to obsidian. People should be embracing people to idle/laze puzzles, because end of the day it helps everyone.

All in all I've seen nothing that benefited the game other than the War Galleon which its design is probably 2-3 years too late.

More skilled swabbies? they work just fine (pun intended), just be smart and mute the leavers for your next voyages.
Stan is a true hero.

[Jun 12, 2018 7:27:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

People complaining about puzzles, and wanting old ocean curves back because fines aren't good enough for those who actually practice the puzzles. Understandable, but its sounding very ridiculous, simple solution if you don't like the puzzles on Obsidian, go back to Emerald the population is already higher than Obsidian since that ocean is a failure.

According to yppedia and all my google-ing you're misunderstanding the core problem, and using insults to cover up the fact that you've basically contributed nothing with this comment.

Puzzle difficulty is a problem that should in theory affect all production oceans as the player base thins. This is because the 'ranking' system judges you by comparing you to "recent" players performances. Thus as the game base shrinks the performance would in theory rise (Though it could shrink as well, though this is about a potential problem, which a shrinking skill base wouldn't be).

So the idea of telling people that "Oh x ocean is too hard for you? Go to y ocean" is just silly. Not only is it insulting, and literally a null contribution, but it's completely counter to your next minor statement. If Emerald is seeing an influx of players who are leaving Obsidian, the difficulty curve is just going to shift from one ocean to the other.

Maybe the problem isn't the ocean people are playing on, but the difficulty in getting ranks in a game which has such a tiny playerbase currently?

I find it offensive you're choosing this section of the forums to insult people. What's funny about this comment is the ignorance it shows. If that poster is using third party software, and they can't move their rank up, what hope is there for anyone else? Still, I don't see the point to this comment at all.

Who cares if people laze and idle puzzles, its hilarious that people give a damn about that, people doing that helps the curve anyway more solid/ables the easier puzzles are anyway, who knows how many accs like that are on emerald compared to obsidian. People should be embracing people to idle/laze puzzles, because end of the day it helps everyone.

You quoted my post, but didn't seem to understand my comments. People aren't embraced for lazing on a ship, and with good reason. it is horribly common for a larger ship to be under-stationed. Having a lazer who isn't planning on stationing makes this common occurrence a harder issue to contend with.

My suggestion would potentially remove that issue. Gone would be the notion that one permanent or semi-permanent lazer would be risky. After all, as long as I have enough skilled bots to man all the stations, why would a ship runner be concerned that someone needed to run to the store during that 2 hour SMH trip?

If your opinion is that lazers are helping everyone and shouldn't be discouraged, I don't feel my idea is in conflict with what your view of the game is.

All in all I've seen nothing that benefited the game other than the War Galleon which its design is probably 2-3 years too late.

More skilled swabbies? they work just fine (pun intended), just be smart and mute the leavers for your next voyages.

Then why are you even in Game Design? Is it to make thinly veiled insults at other posters, and to denigrate ideas without actually discussing them? Please don't derail discussions cause you have an axe to grind against stagnation (or whatever your issue is). It doesn't help anyone, and I can't imagine anyone appreciates it.
[Jun 12, 2018 1:45:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

According to yppedia and all my google-ing you're misunderstanding the core problem, and using insults to cover up the fact that you've basically contributed nothing with this comment.

Puzzle difficulty is a problem that should in theory affect all production oceans as the player base thins. This is because the 'ranking' system judges you by comparing you to "recent" players performances. Thus as the game base shrinks the performance would in theory rise (Though it could shrink as well, though this is about a potential problem, which a shrinking skill base wouldn't be).

So the idea of telling people that "Oh x ocean is too hard for you? Go to y ocean" is just silly. Not only is it insulting, and literally a null contribution, but it's completely counter to your next minor statement. If Emerald is seeing an influx of players who are leaving Obsidian, the difficulty curve is just going to shift from one ocean to the other.

Maybe the problem isn't the ocean people are playing on, but the difficulty in getting ranks in a game which has such a tiny playerbase currently?

I find it offensive you're choosing this section of the forums to insult people. What's funny about this comment is the ignorance it shows. If that poster is using third party software, and they can't move their rank up, what hope is there for anyone else? Still, I don't see the point to this comment at all.

You quoted my post, but didn't seem to understand my comments. People aren't embraced for lazing on a ship, and with good reason. it is horribly common for a larger ship to be under-stationed. Having a lazer who isn't planning on stationing makes this common occurrence a harder issue to contend with.

My suggestion would potentially remove that issue. Gone would be the notion that one permanent or semi-permanent lazer would be risky. After all, as long as I have enough skilled bots to man all the stations, why would a ship runner be concerned that someone needed to run to the store during that 2 hour SMH trip?

If your opinion is that lazers are helping everyone and shouldn't be discouraged, I don't feel my idea is in conflict with what your view of the game is.

Then why are you even in Game Design? Is it to make thinly veiled insults at other posters, and to denigrate ideas without actually discussing them? Please don't derail discussions cause you have an axe to grind against stagnation (or whatever your issue is). It doesn't help anyone, and I can't imagine anyone appreciates it.

I am in game design to sound my own opinion, I see thread like yours a million times, there isn't a way to fix the PvP system on Obsidian, its broken, its not fixable. If you read my posts you should be able to see I'm refering to players targetting people that are idling and lazing on puzzles which is not a problem, and how emerald back in the day has lots more solid/ables there compared to obsidian, plus more of a playerbase has played on emerald. Which is basically why puzzle curves on Obsidian are difficult compared to Emerald you can't really change it, unless you make 100-1k alts to broad-solid/able in every puzzle to ease the curve.
For my ignorance no need to take it seriously, thats how you get by in this game nobody will act much differently.

So the idea of telling people that "Oh x ocean is too hard for you? Go to y ocean" is just silly. Not only is it insulting, and literally a null contribution, but it's completely counter to your next minor statement. If Emerald is seeing an influx of players who are leaving Obsidian, the difficulty curve is just going to shift from one ocean to the other. Maybe the problem isn't the ocean people are playing on, but the difficulty in getting ranks in a game which has such a tiny player-base currently?

The truth can hurt at times, its a motivation to learn the puzzles, not necessarily the curve will still be the same on emerald. Players are mostly leaving Obsidian because of a few reasons:
1. Obsidian is a failure (feel free to look at the graphs from the past year)
2. Dev(s) are slacking, (should of listened to Devonin...)
3. PvP system became an exploit to get free owls. (not much explanation needed lol)
4. Obsidian still in Early Access after 1 year losing more than half its original player-base.

Lower the scores your getting, should motivate you to puzzle and work harder to get higher. That;s the aim of puzzle pirates to puzzle or socialize on the docks. Only real way to fix the Obsidian issue, is to make a new ocean for the older players to transfer their accounts on from Emerald or Meridian (all data from the pirate, no items).
Stan is a true hero.

[Jun 12, 2018 4:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valmeia

My best station is rigging. On Emerald, I can score a consistent excellent, with fairly frequent incredibles. On Obsidian, I score goods, with an occasional excellent or fine.

Wait, did you just encourage me to use a bot?

If your only solution is to "abandon ship" then I don't quite think you're in the right topic. This topic is about suggestions specifically for improving Obsidian. I have no interest in leaving my friends, crew, flag, progress, and dubs behind to go play on an ocean where everyone has years upon years more progress on me. I want to make suggestions and have discussions on how to fix the problems in hopes that maybe they'll get fixed. If I have to leave obsidian and start over, I'd rather go to a different game.

It would also remove the problem of ships taking hours to load, only to cancel the run because they can't get enough people to go. I've seen a lot of runs fill much faster for the last 15 people they need than for the first 15 people. Once a ship starts to fill, or starts heading for League Point, they tend to fill much faster because people know the ship is actually going to go, and they wont need to wait hours for loading. The change to bots could encourage a larger number of players hopping on runs in general because they know the run will happen regardless of how many people they get.

Additionally, it would help with lowering the number of players that leave mid-run. If they wait for 2 hours for the boat to load, but they're 20-40 minutes short on time for what the run will take, some people don't want to leave the run because they've already invested a lot of time into it. Usually resulting in increasing numbers of lazers/afk players as the timer goes. The changes would allow people to go with a reasonable load time instead of a long one, giving people more time to actually do the voyage. Plus, if the navver wants to keep going, and is confident that they will not sink, it may be possible for multiple dips, or back to back runs.
[Jun 12, 2018 4:51:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mitjana

I am in game design to sound my own opinion, I see thread like yours a million times, there isn't a way to fix the PvP system on Obsidian, its broken, its not fixable. If you read my posts you should be able to see I'm refering to players targetting people that are idling and lazing on puzzles which is not a problem, and how emerald back in the day has lots more solid/ables there compared to obsidian, plus more of a playerbase has played on emerald. Which is basically why puzzle curves on Obsidian are difficult compared to Emerald you can't really change it, unless you make 100-1k alts to broad-solid/able in every puzzle to ease the curve.
For my ignorance no need to take it seriously, thats how you get by in this game nobody will act much differently.

I have no problem with dissenting opinion in a forum topic that is about discussing ideas. I do have a problem with low-effort posts that are nay-saying without substance, and/or shifting the focus of discussion to things not related to the subject at hand. We're here to debate the idea, not the debater.

I'm also not sure how these posts in this thread relate to pvp also, we were discussing QOL changes to Y!PP and pvp was very tangentially brought up once or twice in relation to other change (More swabbies in this case).

If you really do feel every single topic has been brought up before, and that it's pointless I have 2 suggestions:

1st, link the discussion to a past relevant discussion.

2nd, move on. If you have nothing to contribute other than "This has been said before." Why waste your time, let alone the time of everyone who maybe cares enough to voice the suggestion/opinion again.

The truth can hurt at times, its a motivation to learn the puzzles, not necessarily the curve will still be the same on emerald. Players are mostly leaving Obsidian because of a few reasons:
1. Obsidian is a failure (feel free to look at the graphs from the past year)
2. Dev(s) are slacking, (should of listened to Devonin...)
3. PvP system became an exploit to get free owls. (not much explanation needed lol)
4. Obsidian still in Early Access after 1 year losing more than half its original player-base.

Lower the scores your getting, should motivate you to puzzle and work harder to get higher. That;s the aim of puzzle pirates to puzzle or socialize on the docks. Only real way to fix the Obsidian issue, is to make a new ocean for the older players to transfer their accounts on from Emerald or Meridian (all data from the pirate, no items).

I don't agree with you on this, but I appreciate you expanding on an idea at least so it can be discussed.

Players leaving the ocean is a problem, but it's not the specific focus of the discussion at hand. The ocean's curve is getting harder as players leave. This increased difficulty isn't exactly remedied by jumping oceans. If everyone leaves for Emerald, than Emerald will have the exact same problem.

While I agree that the difficulty curve is something that can be viewed as a goal to beat, I still think the increased difficulty isn't exactly great for player retention. When securing Renowned in a specific task becomes a monumental challenge I see a serious problem. How many pirates wont be able to see Skellie/Zombie/Werewolf frays? How many wont be able to contribute Expert labor? How many will get denied for entry onto what few ships are still pillaging/SMHing?

Sure Y!PP probably has a plethora of reasons for the mass exodus of players we're seeing, but it's lazy to not at least consider the difficulty curve as being a contributor to it.
[Jun 12, 2018 5:19:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Just an FYI the players can fix the curve themselves to an extent.

If everyone played the puzzles on a weekly base the curve would adjust with their alt armies.

Today's free puzzle Distilling

Free Puzzle days

Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Jun 15, 2018 9:05:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates