• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 632 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
vebyonla

What has happened? Reply to this Post

Im sure this has been asked many many many times, but what has happened over the years? I used to be very active years and years ago, but now it looks to be almost dead like everyone has left. I feel sad because I really used to love this game. I am used to by the port area there being LOADS of players hanging around, the bars full, and so on.
[Jun 6, 2018 10:01:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

Re: What has happened? Reply to this Post

People tend to not give a shit and lose interest when time and money is beiing laughed at by cheaters,who can do w/e they want on this game these days.
----------------------------------------
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Jun 6, 2018 11:27:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

People tend to not give a barnacle and lose interest when time and money is beiing laughed at by cheaters,who can do w/e they want on this game these days.

Proof of cheating?

Otherwise...

#TeamEvil
#TeamShadowFleet
[Edit 2 times, last edit by majestrate at Jun 7, 2018 10:46:30 AM]
[Jun 6, 2018 12:18:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Proof of cheating?

This old thread gives a pretty good example. Looking at the current ult lists on obsidian: 6/10 riggers and 5/10 of the bilgers (one person being on both) fit this basically perfectly. Patching list appears pretty clean.

Over on emerald, about 8/11 riggers, 3/10 patchers (2 of those also being on rigging), and about 6/14 bilgers.

(Alternatively, hop on a xebec/wf that's heading into something like atlantis or HS (when they fill) - high chance you'll find about 8-10 of these by looking up those who are doing well on rigging/bilging/sometimes patching.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Jun 6, 2018 4:44:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Im sure this has been asked many many many times, but what has happened over the years? I used to be very active years and years ago, but now it looks to be almost dead like everyone has left. I feel sad because I really used to love this game. I am used to by the port area there being LOADS of players hanging around, the bars full, and so on.

What ocean are you on?
Emerald is the busiest on average
Obsidian is the Newest (steam only)
Meridian look at the dub prices
Cerilian has a small group of players
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Jun 6, 2018 5:10:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Triplepat wrote: 
This old thread gives a pretty good example.
Hmm.. apart from rigs I'm Ren+ in all of that, touched Ult in most. As have many others on Obsidian. You too.

My point being: that post really doesn't say anything. It could simply be a correlation between the puzzles' required skillset. Typically I've found that dnavers can sail, distillers can gun and gunners can patch for this reason.

Or a tier system where these are the lower tiered puzzles, bilge being recognised by many as being beginner-friendly for example.

Feels like it's just pushing a narrative about cheating. You could throw anyone on Meridian and they'd have multiple Ren+ in those "suspicious" puzzles too. I wouldn't say it constitutes proof.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Jun 6, 2018 10:49:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Proof of cheating?

This old thread gives a pretty good example. Looking at the current ult lists on obsidian: 6/10 riggers and 5/10 of the bilgers (one person being on both) fit this basically perfectly. Patching list appears pretty clean.

Over on emerald, about 8/11 riggers, 3/10 patchers (2 of those also being on rigging), and about 6/14 bilgers.

(Alternatively, hop on a xebec/wf that's heading into something like atlantis or HS (when they fill) - high chance you'll find about 8-10 of these by looking up those who are doing well on rigging/bilging/sometimes patching.

That's conjecture, it's not proof, as evidenced by the fact that Jcmorgan states:

"Obviously I'm not saying all these pirates bot, but I'd wager a large number of them do."
#TeamEvil
#TeamShadowFleet
[Jun 6, 2018 10:53:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

True - it is not proof (and I don't think there's a way for anyone to actually prove it). I can't tell you which, of how many of these puzzlers are legitimate. There's just this fairly large amount of the playerbase that plays exactly this set of puzzles at a high level.

It could simply be a correlation between the puzzles' required skillset.

I'd believe that between rigging and bilging - both being about efficient moves and large clears. But then patching is very far away from these and might be the most speed-based puzzle in the game. I refuse to believe that such a large amount of the playerbase can both think efficiently enough to play ~legendary bilge/rigging, be fast enough to play ~legendary patching but be unable to reach respected/master in almost any other puzzle.

...Then again, as both of you said and are correct in, none of this is actual proof. I could very well be wrong about all this. In my brain it's accepted as the way it is and 'validated' through having talked to others who feel the same way. (And because of it not being actual proof I probably should not have posted it as a response to someone asking for that, but in the moment I decided to. My bad.)
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Jun 7, 2018 3:06:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Proof of cheating?

That's conjecture, it's not proof, as evidenced by the fact that Jcmorgan states:

"Obviously I'm not saying all these pirates bot, but I'd wager a large number of them do."

Well third party softwares (coughs... botters) is part of the reason the game is on a decline since, most players don't even try to be good while they can waste money on irrel programs to make their stats look good (they don't last forever). Botters are very easy to spot anyway, try calling someone out that looks suspicious and see how long they take to log off! hah!

As stated before, people will continue to use third party softwares, you can't really stop them since they'll just ban evade anyway. Even if you did get them all banned you'd most likely lose an estimate of 60% of the playerbase, which can result in 300 for example all the way down to 120 players.

What else has happened? well a merge of 2 oceans happened 6 years ago which was a band-aid fix (Meridian/Emerald), then not very many updates, slimmed down familiar competitions, and a neglected playerbase which resulted in Obsidian PvP took over and got exploited and here we are today on WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

@Kyura no need to devalue other oceans, but I do agree it should be removed but you should try to get ult pirate there :P
I love Honey

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!
[Jun 7, 2018 7:15:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Ryuken wrote: 
Triplepat wrote: 
This old thread gives a pretty good example.
Hmm.. apart from rigs I'm Ren+ in all of that, touched Ult in most. As have many others on Obsidian. You too.

Sounds like you've misunderstood the point of the thread. Most of the players listed were ONLY Ren+ in those specific puzzles (plus maybe one more), meaning they hadn't actually learnt any non-commonly botted puzzled. I obviously wasn't insinuating that everyone ren+ in most of those puzzles bot, had you been on the Ult lists when that thread was posted I likely would have skipped past your name, as I did at the time with Grumpycat - a pirate with similar stats to you - and anyone who Did not have Ren+ in more than one puzzle.

It seems you play devils advocate a lot recently, while I can appreciate different viewpoints, I think doing it just for the sake of it doesn't serve much purpose. For example bringing up Meridian in relation to the conversation is laughable, I've played one game of rumble there and attained the ultimate trophy - Stats on meridian aren't really representative of anything.

I'm not going to repeat everything Pat said, but I feel exactly the same way and wouldn't disagree with anything he stated. However I would add in relation to this
Ryuken wrote: 
It could simply be a correlation between the puzzles' required skill-set

While technically true, the thread specifically looked at if someone was an outstanding rigger or bilger, and then compare it to the other puzzles, what I didn't do was look at if someone was an outstanding SW/BS/Dnav/Patcher and then list how many of those I suspected botted. Before creating the thread I did look into puzzles, to see if I could find links, the only of which I recall being at all notable was the fact that distillers and Dnavers were generally very good puzzlers across the board, and that alchemists were often very good at all the crafting puzzles. My point being, if what you stated was true you'd expect to be able to do the same things for the SW/BS/Dnav/Patching lists as I did with Bilge and Rigging, which you could not at the time as is evident by Roflolmao's post. Blacksmithing was the only puzzle even close to how dominated the rigging and bilging lists were by specific account types, excluding Hearts and Spades since many of those were stat-less alts.

Majestrate wrote: 

Agreed, but at least conjecture has some basis for debate rather than the following accusations like
hidemyhoney wrote: 
Well third party softwares (coughs... botters) is part of the reason the game is on a decline
hidemyhoney wrote: 
Even if you did get them all banned you'd most likely lose an estimate of 60% of the playerbase

Jcmorgan on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Jun 7, 2018 7:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Jcmorgan wrote: 
Majestrate wrote: 

Agreed, but at least conjecture has some basis for debate rather than the following accusations like

hidemyhoney wrote: 
Well third party softwares (coughs... botters) is part of the reason the game is on a decline
hidemyhoney wrote: 
Even if you did get them all banned you'd most likely lose an estimate of 60% of the playerbase

Very true. I'd say that this statement is in the same realm as the ones you quoted:

Pikapyah wrote: 
People tend to not give a barnacle* and lose interest when time and money is beiing laughed at by cheaters,who can do w/e they want on this game these days.

Sure, the first part may be right, but calling players cheaters just because they aren't supporting you en masse is uncalled for. It's no better than the childish insults that were thrown at Brenda and KtP in /global after the last blockade.

Anyway, I'll remove myself from this thread as it's turned into Parley outside of Parley.

*Altered the original quote to piratify the curse word
#TeamEvil
#TeamShadowFleet
[Jun 7, 2018 10:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Jcmorgan wrote: 
Sounds like you've misunderstood the point of the thread. (...) I likely would have skipped past (...) anyone who Did not have Ren+ in more than one puzzle.
Yep I guess I did. Admittedly I wasn't aware the exclusion bit was inherent in that thread.
(Meridian thing was tongue-in-cheek anyway)

Jcmorgan wrote: 
Majestrate wrote: 

Agreed, but at least conjecture has some basis for debate rather than the following accusations like (...)
+1.

hidemyhoney wrote: 
Lack of new content too, although given the circumstances we can't reasonably expect too much.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Jun 7, 2018 10:47:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Jcmorgan wrote: 
Sounds like you've misunderstood the point of the thread. (...) I likely would have skipped past (...) anyone who Did not have Ren+ in more than one puzzle.
Yep I guess I did. Admittedly I wasn't aware the exclusion bit was inherent in that thread.
(Meridian thing was tongue-in-cheek anyway)

Jcmorgan wrote: 
Majestrate wrote: 

Agreed, but at least conjecture has some basis for debate rather than the following accusations like (...)
+1.

hidemyhoney wrote: 
Lack of new content too, although given the circumstances we can't reasonably expect too much.

+1
I love Honey

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!
[Jun 7, 2018 8:27:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates