• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1415 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Murcatto

Obsidian Swordfighting League Reply to this Post

Obsidian Swordfighting League

Link To Table ^^

The moon was high in the sky as they finally made berth at Port Venture. It had been a perilous voyage through the northern wild seas, but a successful one as numerous pieces of eight were generously divvied up.

Arcturius passed him a jug of rum, mirth displayed across his features. He nodded slightly as he took the jug and in return offered a smile that didn?t quite reach his eyes. Drinking deeply, he mournfully scanned the rag-tag crew restlessly waiting out the storm above. Fatouma had her arm casually draped across Nourshan?s shoulders, the two quietly conversing near the ship?s hold. He watched as Conjecture?s hand not-so-delicately met Servotron?s buttocks, evoking loud cat calls from some of the crew. Wiggin and Hsu seemed to be involved in a highly heated debate over the proper maintenance of the cannons. And then, of course, there was Mewodii who sat cross-legged with her blade balanced on her thighs, paying no one any attention as she focused solely on the sharpening block in her hand and the steady, rhythmical sound of stone against steel.

How many had been lost on that trip to Bogong and back again, he mused to himself? How many more would be in the future? This wasn?t Dragon?s Nest to Tigerleaf. How many among those left could parry against even the weakest of attacks, or dodge the slowest of slices? As the darkened heavens above opened up, the crew quickly scattered off in a hundred different directions: Kutlasskayli and Leetage instantly dashed off towards the hearts table at the inn, while Meaneel chivalrously offered his coat to Book who was clambering down the gangplank.

Alone, Solitude meandered back to his cabin. The darkness of the room was marred only by a solitary candle almost run dry, which looked to match his very mood. But there was a solace that permeated that darkness, found in the history and memories of a different ocean, a different time. Sadly, mementos and keepsakes were now all that he had left of those days.

Idly he picked up a poker chip won from Habeel back in the day. On his nightstand lay a decaying rose of Sharayn, gifted to him by Devlina. Threatening to spill out of the wardrobe in the corner was the cracked hammer of Minisparrow and a stray cannonball, the last he had to remind him of Yukki. He couldn?t even catch a glimpse of himself without the eyepatch of Lilartist winking back at him from the mirror on which it was casually draped. The most prized among them all, though, were the swords. Those glorious, battle-scarred swords that hung proudly in their rack on the wall, reminding him of some of the best days of his life.

It was in that moment that he knew exactly what he needed to bring him out of his melancholia - a tournament of champions - gladiatorial combat at it?s finest! A tournament to rival all others and bring about another generation of swashbucklers, of dark knights was exactly what he - and the ocean - had been sorely missing. Obsidian doesn?t yet have an End or a Demonyaj, a Side or a Silverdawg; where is our Tianx? It was time to remind ourselves once again of what it felt like to be the proud conquerors of a new ocean...

Snatching up some ink, a quill and a fresh candle he sat at his desk, while the storm outside violently rocked the cabin?s shutters. Yet, with a sure and steady hand, Solitude penned the following missive to the ocean:

Invitations have already been sent out to a select number of players. For anyone not yet the recipient of an invite, we will be running a daily tournament where the winning pirate will earn a seat within the League. Alternatively, you may approach Shikamaru in-game for a Best Of 5 match. If you win 3 out of 5 back-to-back games, you will receive a physical token granting League entry. If you lose, you cannot ask for a rematch.

The key to this tournament is the ability to RECORD your MAIN EVENT games (only), and swiftly upload them to Google Drive (think Novo?s video and you get the idea). The League?s full rules and regulations, plus the prize breakdown, will be posted here one week from today, so keep you patchy eyes peeled. If any of ye scallywags have questions, feel free to post them below or hit Solitude up with a /tell in-game.

Prizes:

Familiars!
3 million pieces of eight (in total)
Ships
Outfits
Pets
Swords
OSL Portraits to commemorate

----------------------------------------
Solitude
Senior Officer of The Midnight Society
Stand & Deliver

“Ten spears go to battle and nine shatter. Did that war forge the one that remained? No, All the war did was identify the spear that would not break.”
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Murcatto at Jun 3, 2018 3:57:07 PM]
[May 28, 2018 7:45:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

Re: OSL Reply to this Post

Obsidian Swordfighting League Table Prizes:

First Place Prizes:

1 Million in Pieces of Eight
Tan/Tan Parrot
Gold/Black outfit
An individual commemorative portrait of your achievement as the First Blade of Obsidian.
Renamed Sloop: First Blade
Sword
2x Banana, 2x Spring Green Chroma

Second Place Prizes:

250k in PoE
1 Sword
1 Pelican
2x Banana Chroma

Third Place Prizes:

100k in PoE
1 Sword
1 Karkinos
1 Banana Chroma

Fourth Place Prizes:

50k in PoE
1 Sword
1 Banana Seal
1 Banana Chroma

First to fourth place winners will also issue a commemorative portrait together. Outfits are supplied and each will receive one copy (original goes to Solitude).

5th: 25k in PoE, 1 Named Alligator, 1 Sword
6th: 25k in PoE, 1 Black Pig, 1 Sword
7th: 25k in PoE, 1 Banana Seal (Named)
8th: Blue-grey Cat
9th: Blue-grey Cat
10th: 2 Spring Green Chromas

Seeded Play-Off Tournament top 10:

1 Million PoE Pot (May increase)
1st Tan Monkey - Renamed Sloop (Caesura)
2nd Violet/Purple Lobster - Renamed Sloop (Ultimate of Ultimates)
3rd place play-off - Sloop + Blue Sea Turtle
4th place - Gold Seal

Rules of the OSL:

1) All contestants must record their set back to back and upload to google drive. Failing to provide a recording will constitute a forfeit. To avoid claims of dodgy recordings, please have both pirates visible in the recording. Speak to your opponent first, don’t just turn up at brawl table and assume they know.

Link to the drive will be provided.

2) All participants must have Solid or above experience.

3) Each participant shall fight each opponent in one “best of five” set. One point will be allocated per win and an extra will be awarded to the victor of the set, once the Bo5 has begun you must finish it, those leaving prior to the finishing of the match will forfeit that match. Prior to holding your match(es), you may ask a TMS Senior Officer to attend and officiate.

4) We will have a two week timeframe for everyone to complete their matches. In the event some matches haven’t been completed in that time, those found to have not properly made themselves available will forfeit the set and their opponent will receive three points.

5) The final ten placements within the league will be entered into a seeded playoff style tournament.

6) All entrants choosing to use a reversed falchion will use Green/Green, or Red/Yellow for Non-Reversed. This is to prevent the cheap swapping purely for beneficial patterns with Falchion. Those are the only swords with designated colours, everything else do as you please. If you are short of any of those swords, speak to a TMS Senior Officer who will provide you with a loan of one for your match.

I'll admit this is my first time running any large scale event so I've probably overlooked some stuff and for that I do sincerely apologise, I'm not looking to stress anyone out. I feel the rules we've set out should make for a fun enviroment and I hope I've covered as much as I can, any questions please do not hesitate to send me a /tell

Thank you too everyone who accepted invites and those who sought their own way into the tournament also. Happy Hunting!

June 4th 12am GT onwards is when you can begin seeking out your matches, June 18th will be the closing date, but I genuinely feel we'll have tidied up the league part prior to that.
Solitude
Stand & Deliver

“Ten spears go to battle and nine shatter. Did that war forge the one that remained? No, All the war did was identify the spear that would not break.”
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Murcatto at Jun 3, 2018 3:34:51 PM]
[May 28, 2018 7:46:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enterprisetm

Re: Obsidian Swordfighting League Reply to this Post

Obsidian doesn?t yet have an End or a Demonyaj, a Side or a Silverdawg; where is our Tianx? It was time to remind ourselves once again of what it felt like to be the proud conquerors of a new ocean...

Oh yeah, End and Side, those who were banned on the original oceans and then got banned AGAIN on Obsidian? Nice "hero" pick u managed there, I'm sure Demonyaj, Silverdawg and Tianx would be very proud to see their names next to those 2 cheaters..
[Jun 3, 2018 2:05:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

Oh yeah, End and Side, those who were banned on the original oceans and then got banned AGAIN on Obsidian? Nice "hero" pick u managed there, I'm sure Demonyaj, Silverdawg and Tianx would be very proud to see their names next to those 2 cheaters..

Regardless of the flaws of the players behind the pirates, both of their names reasonate with many swordfighters. I find it unlikely that both of them "came back" and re-used old names for Obsidian. It's far more likely that someone who admired them or wanted to live of their names did so. (Which proves just how big they were, even after all this time)

I chose them as they were the pre-eminent players of their day, even while playing Tianx nor Demonyaj were compared anywhere near to the level both those players were at and Silverdawg being the superstar of his own time, when End came along the comparisons of both were that End was far better.

These things are of course a matter of opinion and perhaps personal bias as to when I played more regularly. But it's a story written with some artistic licence, each mans hero is anothers villain.

Do you only post negativity?
Solitude
Stand & Deliver

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Murcatto at Jun 3, 2018 6:08:09 AM]
[Jun 3, 2018 5:11:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enterprisetm

Regardless of the flaws of the players behind the pirates, both of their names reasonate with many swordfighters. I find it unlikely that both of them "came back" and re-used old names for Obsidian. It's far more likely that someone who admired them or wanted to live of their names did so. (Which proves just how big they were, even after all this time)

All they did was stealing the prizes and poes from those who did not cheat. Who knows how many players actually quit the game after being cleared in consecutive swordfights against cheaters? How many sf (and td too) tournaments have been won by alts, and why do people feel the need to hide behind those new pirates? Cheating, of course, and swordfighting is one of the puzzles with the most extensive form of cheating.

I chose them as they were the pre-eminent players of their day, even while playing Tianx nor Demonyaj were compared anywhere near to the level both those players were at and Silverdawg being the superstar of his own time, when End came along the comparisons of both were that End was far better.

Pre-eminent, yes, because they were the first to indulge in systematic cheating with no respect towards the others.

These things are of course a matter of opinion and perhaps personal bias as to when I played more regularly. But it's a story written with some artistic licence, each mans hero is anothers villain.

There were enough other good sfers, with many videos uploaded on youtube, who actually shared part of their skill (Guantanamo, Jabez spring to mind as some with many videos, but there are many others too). Of course, End sharing skill would've been a lot easier, since it would've been just a link to a cheating program.

Do you only post negativity?

Cheating is one of the worst plagues that can affect a game, and PP wasn't spared from this. Negativity is the only attitude that a post promoting and admiring cheaters deserves.

I don't have a problem with your event, I think it's a nice initiative (I applaud the obligativity to record the games) and it also evokes a bit the annual Black Death swordfighting event. I'm just saying you could've chosen a different and more inspired way of promoting it.
[Jun 3, 2018 6:39:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

There is a bitter irony to the fact that one of the Swordfighters you name and applaud as should have been included, is also serving a ban from the game, regardless of who I included nearly every top tier swordfighter has had some stain attributed to them so I would have been unable to please everyone, or left using names of people that no one had heard of.

Rumours of modding were systematic through the whole puzzle, not many players from then have survived until now and how much of that was down to being careful of when they cheated.

I'm sure given enough digging you'd have found complaints on every other swordfighter I named at somepoint or another, we as players also don't know which players only served suspensions.
Solitude
Stand & Deliver

[Jun 3, 2018 7:06:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

How do you know these people got banned for what you claim? did you ever see a screenshot or did they come forward with their bans? asking for a friend
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Jun 3, 2018 9:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Enterprisetm

There is a bitter irony to the fact that one of the Swordfighters you name and applaud as should have been included, is also serving a ban from the game, regardless of who I included nearly every top tier swordfighter has had some stain attributed to them so I would have been unable to please everyone, or left using names of people that no one had heard of.

Rumours of modding were systematic through the whole puzzle, not many players from then have survived until now and how much of that was down to being careful of when they cheated.

I'm sure given enough digging you'd have found complaints on every other swordfighter I named at somepoint or another, we as players also don't know which players only served suspensions.

It's bitter, yeah, and it only shows how @#$%ed up swordfighting was (and maybe still is?).
Politics aside, are you planning to allow spectators to the event? Also, as stupid as an idea as this may sound, given it will most likely be a slower format than a regular tournament, will some form of betting on games be allowed for the spectators, like betting on the winner of a certain match-up, or of the event as a whole?
[Jun 3, 2018 9:54:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

The idea at the end is to have a YouTube series of all the videos together, so people can watch it and learn from it. Or just enjoy looking at it.

I imagine the finals will take place on a ship which people can come and view the games, I'd love for them to be live streamed but I think that would be asking way too much of the participants. Although some may do it in the knockout format.

I never even considered the idea of placing bets, it's a cool suggestion to be honest. Would have been fun to have tried to get people to guess the final top 10 and whoever was closest gets the pot. Something for next time perhaps or if anyone else wanted to try run it.
Solitude
Stand & Deliver

[Jun 3, 2018 1:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colorhas

Excuse you.
Pinkhas (and -East and -West) on all oceans.
Main ocean: Viridian Emerald!
[Jun 5, 2018 10:00:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Murcatto

Stats

With Yppedia being a little unwieldy to update on the move, we've set up an excel that's more of a live table of how things are going, thanks Wiggin. Link is above

It has some extra stats too for anyone who enjoys such things. Cremate continues to cement his legacy tying for the top win percentage with Corteez.

Swordplay smashing it with over 50 matches, 50 percent win rate and an hourly update on the fact he's quitting, that he's the best, the worst and how no matter what sword his opponent has they've somehow cheated him. Hearty him seriously he is our Bi-Polar Charlie Sheen.

When will Xelliana slip out of her gown and take up her blade? Will Jonthecarper go from building and repairing to crushing our participants dreams!
Solitude
Stand & Deliver

[Jun 6, 2018 8:03:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colorhas

Wait, is it too late to join or wuh
Pinkhas (and -East and -West) on all oceans.
Main ocean: Viridian Emerald!
[Jun 6, 2018 10:57:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Thanks for hosting this!
I was really excited and looking forward to participate but I got banned on monday for something I didn't do and by the looks of it Hera closed the appeal.

Good luck to you all though. Its sad to see that nothing has changed on their side but may lucky breakers be with you!
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Jun 7, 2018 5:11:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pikapyah

Thanks for hosting this!
I was really excited and looking forward to participate but I got banned on monday for something I didn't do and by the looks of it Hera closed the appeal.

Good luck to you all though. Its sad to see that nothing has changed on their side but may lucky breakers be with you!

No, i feel you bro. The OM's banned tons and tons of people who verry recently traded with a RWTer, innocent or not. That's why i got a no trade list with all the royals of AH/CIS,...and ofcourse discriminate?
"economy killer, destroyer of stalls"
Pika says, "make it war bae"
Catch 'em all declared war on Scuppering Shrews.
Catch 'em all declared war on For Fox Sake.
Catch 'em all declared war on Consider it Sunk.
[Jun 7, 2018 11:55:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates