• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 815 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Prammy16

A better way to keep SMH jobbers? Reply to this Post

With the discussion on SMHs, the focus seems mostly to be the ability to job people differently than our current situation. I think there's a better way: give more incentive to stay.

Right now, staying for one segment gives you one share of loot. This means that staying for 5 segments at the beginning gives you a certain portion of the loot, and people leave early because they get tired (or whatever causes leavers). I suggest instead that each successive segment is worth more shares than the previous one. Perhaps it's a simply growth model, with the first segment giving everyone on board 1 share, and the second segment giving everyone 2 shares, etc. etc. This would give people a strong incentive to stay 'till the end, as their shares will proportionally decreases faster and faster the longer the SMH continues without them. Leaving right at the beginning will be crippling for your pay, as everyone else will get more and more shares per segment without you.

This wouldn't increase the actual poe that the SMH produces, but only rearrange the pay; the people who stay longer get more pay PER TIME SPENT than those who left early. No one would "lose" their poe, but simply not earn as much because they didn't stay as long. By producing this strong incentive to stay around, the number of jobbers that would abandon ship early would decrease, helping to fix at least one of the SMH problems.

TL;DR: Make each successive segment give more shares than previous ones, adding an incentive for people to stick around on SMHs by giving them a better pay/time spent ratio.

Let me know what y'all think.
----------------------------------------
-Porglit on Emerald
-Shadetemplar on Obsidian
[May 18, 2018 6:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Re: A better way to keep SMH jobbers? Reply to this Post

The number one complaint with SMH seems to be the time commitment needed, I don't see how extending the time commitment is going to make it more attractive to job for. Making it less attractive is going to mean longer load times, which will effectively negate any bonuses from staying in longer.
Jjc on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[May 18, 2018 7:17:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

It makes it more attractive to stay because you get better pay/time the longer you stay, as mentioned in the OP.
-Porglit on Emerald
[May 18, 2018 7:27:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

You're completely missing my point, if the perceived time commitment is longer, someone who might have an hour and half available isn't going to bother jobbing anymore. All you're going to achieve is a longer load time.

Let's say in theory your idea gets added.
If a navigator gets known for three to four hour runs, people with two hours available aren't going to job for them, since they aren't interested in receiving one quarter of the pay for half the work in comparison to people who stayed the entire trip
This navigator now takes longer to load, probably considerably.
The entire time this navigator is loading, no-one else can load, since loading at the same time as someone else is virtually impossible these days.
The result of this is less people actually playing the game and if I'm not playing the game why am I even logged into the game?
Essentially isolating all the casual players isn't good for the game long-term.

TL:DR You're not persuading people who might have only stayed 90 minutes before to stay longer, you're persuading them not to job at all.
Jjc on Emerald
Jc on Obsidian (regrettably)
My Kraken bombing guide
CI booty division stats
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at May 18, 2018 7:55:27 AM]
[May 18, 2018 7:53:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joshuawhelan

Do you know how unhealthy sitting at your PC for 3 hours straight really is?

GH should absolutely not encourage this even more. Get out and take a break every now and then.
[May 18, 2018 10:18:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

No, why should someone get less for jobbing for 3 hours when some stay for 5, I can SF for 5 hours much easier then any station... the MMA and Captain would also benefit from this much more.

Make SMH more popular 2 hour timer and it kicks you out and people would be more willing to job for them.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[May 18, 2018 1:09:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Do you know how unhealthy sitting at your PC for 3 hours straight really is?

GH should absolutely not encourage this even more. Get out and take a break every now and then.

That is why blockades are structured with breaks and rounds. Originally they actually lasted 24 hours, and it was undoubtedly a design intent that players would rotate in and out (and this was a boon to Australians and others who have bizarre time zones.)

But gradually that kind of useful resting period fell by the wayside. And blockade breaks are a travesty: every skipper wants jobbers to stay and move the boat somewhere, so you puzzle through the break, and then the clock stops and you realize you just gave them 15 minutes of work for free.

So let's call it Anti-List to try and extend beyond the already-epic 3-hour tour. I don't blame your jobbers for leaving in battle.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[May 18, 2018 11:18:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

This whole thread has become subservient to the one about contiuous jobbing, as any solution found on this one is less sufficient, and would become obsolete anyway if continuous jobbing were implemented. I've been convinced by Morgan: we need continuous jobbing to fix the fundamental problem of load times, rather than try to artificially fix the leaving issue (which wouldn't even be an issue what-so-ever if there were continual jobbbing...).
-Porglit on Emerald
[May 21, 2018 6:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates