• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1222 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
krdkrd

Shipwrightery Two-Five Pieces Reply to this Post

I've been going from Novice to Solid in terms of experience and can't seem to get above a good. I only have one five piece available to me. I've been clearing regular patterns of 3-3-4-5, sometimes a 3-3-3-3-4-5 or so--how can I get two five-pieces? What can I do to improve?

I've read past posts on mechanics and how scoring works as an average of my combos and that I should always end with 4 and then 5-piece pieces.
----------------------------------------
Hunter Ocean | Ryuuma
Obsidian Ocean | Ryuuma
[May 5, 2018 3:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Shipwrightery Two-Five Pieces Reply to this Post

I've been going from Novice to Solid in terms of experience and can't seem to get above a good. I only have one five piece available to me. I've been clearing regular patterns of 3-3-4-5, sometimes a 3-3-3-3-4-5 or so--how can I get two five-pieces? What can I do to improve?

I've read past posts on mechanics and how scoring works as an average of my combos and that I should always end with 4 and then 5-piece pieces.

Depends on the ocean the... if your on Obsidian I was Legendary with out it, On Cerilian I got them around Master, cant remember on Emerald.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

!!!Bad Social Player!!! Can't keep track of who is who....
[May 5, 2018 4:07:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krdkrd

I'm playing on Obsidian right now. How does one get to a Renowned + without two five-piece pieces.
Hunter Ocean | Ryuuma
Obsidian Ocean | Ryuuma
[May 5, 2018 5:07:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

I'm playing on Obsidian right now. How does one get to a Renowned + without two five-piece pieces.
The strategy you read about is accurate. Keep doing that!

End combos with your strongest scoring pieces. Beyond that however, a common mistake is to extend beyond your planned combos with additional "3"s. If you work out the numbers, this isn't always beneficial to your score.

Lastly, abuse the overtime. Moves taken in OT don't count towards your 20 moves*, so that's where you really push up your average. Plan ahead so you start your final combo on the last notch of the move meter.

*By that logic, my second paragraph wouldn't apply here. Extend as much as you can in OT. Of course, keep trying to slap the 5 at the end wherever possible.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[May 5, 2018 10:23:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krdkrd

Thank you! This is encouraging, but I can't seem to get past an occasional Excellent and regular Good. I understand this ocean is more rigorous, but with only one 5-piece piece, what kind of combo is optimal for maximum points? Is it just a 3-4-5? Should I be trying to expand my combo to a 3-3-4-5 as I have been doing, or is this just detrimental?
Hunter Ocean | Ryuuma
Obsidian Ocean | Ryuuma
[May 5, 2018 11:49:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Is it just a 3-4-5? Should I be trying to expand my combo to a 3-3-4-5 as I have been doing, or is this just detrimental?
It's always better to strike the 5 on the largest combo multiplier possible, so 3345 is better than 345.

What I meant was: if it's between 345 and 3453, the second option is worse. I'll skip the math, but in essence the second combo wastes one of your 20 available moves. And that's for a pattern which doesn't even score well, pulling down your average.
(this is why the argument doesn't hold in OT. additional moves aren't counted so 3453 would surpass 345 in OT)

Another tip which you might find useful if you have the patience for it: Pick your boards. You can move pieces around, use a few patterns, but still abandon as long as you didn't use the 4th pattern. So mess around with every board, try and start with 33445 if possible. If you lack the pieces, find another board!

*You could potentially do some ridiculous openings like 445 and hope to luck into another 5. If that doesn't happen, just abandon and try again. Takes a crazy amount of patience tho. 33445 is solid enough.
[May 6, 2018 12:12:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Thank you! This is encouraging, but I can't seem to get past an occasional Excellent and regular Good. I understand this ocean is more rigorous, but with only one 5-piece piece, what kind of combo is optimal for maximum points? Is it just a 3-4-5? Should I be trying to expand my combo to a 3-3-4-5 as I have been doing, or is this just detrimental?

If you play with only one 5-piece piece, dont think about 3-4-5 or 3-3-4-5. Thats the wrong way to get incredible games. You need a very long chain with 3 4 5 (bigger pieces later than smaller pieces). Tripple or bingo is a crap game. You need high vegas and you get it easy with piece anticipation. Even with no 5-piece piece its possible to get an incredible on Obsidian.
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[May 6, 2018 9:06:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krdkrd

I see. Suppose I've cleared my combo of 3-3-3-3-4-5, and upon clearing the 4 and before clearing the 5, I have the opportunity to clear another 3. Should I take it, or just clear the 5? I know that scoring is an average of all the clears and by clearing a 3, I get a lower score.
Hunter Ocean | Ryuuma
Obsidian Ocean | Ryuuma
[May 6, 2018 10:40:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

I see. Suppose I've cleared my combo of 3-3-3-3-4-5, and upon clearing the 4 and before clearing the 5, I have the opportunity to clear another 3. Should I take it, or just clear the 5? I know that scoring is an average of all the clears and by clearing a 3, I get a lower score.
Take it, because the 5 will be huge. The issue (for the most part) applies to ending combos with a 3.

Snippet from my spreadsheet when i was going for Ult:
Note the difference in example#1 (Good) and example#2 (Exc)
FWIW, I was super picky. Before double 5s, I forced a 333445 opening. And yes if a 3 popped up mid-combo, take it.

Hope it helps.
[May 6, 2018 11:05:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krdkrd

This is starting to make more sense to me! Thank you very much.
Hunter Ocean | Ryuuma
Obsidian Ocean | Ryuuma
[May 6, 2018 1:56:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates