• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 33
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2713 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
Goodwill100

Re: REEEE Reply to this Post

Note: I do think many would appreciate if the starcount didn't reset your chain. Personally I would like it too!

For what it's worth though, I can attempt to defend the system.

From Able to Ultimate, the puzzle doesn't change apart from giving you the Putty Bucket. Yes the holes get larger and more complex but that doesn't help your score. Contrast this against Sails or Patch where you get more targets and grommets respectively, which add to your score.

With the current system, Ultimates are "allowed" to score higher as a result of a larger starcount. The possibility of Mp15/16 opens up, something a Resp wouldn't have access to. That seems fair to me. (Like rigs granting you more moves before the board resets, so you can plan those huge loops with tars included etc.)

If you strip away this aspect then the Carp puzzle is reduced to being monotonous (score-wise) from Able to Ultimate.

Larger holes give a higher score for completing them than smaller ones, add the multiplicative bonus (MP chains) on top of the size and you get a very distinct scoring difference between the ranks, let alone sessions.

Lower ranked pirates shouldn't be gated by a chain limit if they play perfectly, the fact that they have relatively small-medium holes should be the limiting factor on its own (they don't score that much). Should they continue to improve on these boards they'll gradually unlock bigger holes makes it harder to maintain that pace. The puzzle is not changing with transitions, it is just reflecting the actual performance better.

A removal of the reset mechanic would make carpentry more open to anyone. You would get rewarded for puzzling you do instead of getting gated by the puzzle.

As of now people are restricted in their ability to MP chain due to bad cycles, and even much worse puzzling gets put on the same scoring level which inflates the ranking. And I think Pika is having a hard time getting over that ranking bracket (Master -> Renowned) because if you think about it, how many MP/reset combinations lead to a certain scoring average when people that do 15 MPs (MP7 + MP8) with a reset score as well or worse than a MP8 carpenter?

Treating consecutive Masterpieces properly would not only fix that problem, it would also create a distinct difference between carpenters where the most consistent ones don't get punished. If you should be top tier then MP16s should not be your max-score limitation, and you certainly shouldn't be put in a bracket with other people that just merely hit that once (in a competition) or that score significantly worse (bad cycle/reset) should you not chain from the beginning.
As of now even if you always do a MP14 you'll score as well as a MP7 carpenter, just because your efforts don't transition.

Don't compare the carpentry reset with piece resets of other puzzles. They are inherently different and this is a scoring issue.
In Carpentry you lose your stored pieces (maybe a putty bucket) as much as you lose pieces in other puzzles - thats just the nature and property of these puzzles. However, Sailing does not force you to start on 1 platform and patching does not put the board size to minimum. In Carpentry you are forced to score like a beginner - it doesn't matter if you did 17MPs. While it is fair to start from 0 should you mess up it is not fair to be forced to start from the same level bad pirates that mess up do.

The proposal does not change carpentry, it just makes it more transparent and fair just so that the performance gets valued accordingly.

In sailing you have to rely on your previous performance until you set your next combo up, in rigging you have to do the same until you get tars/hooks again. Same with bilging, gunning and patching, really, its just that new boards don't really mean that much of a meaningful change in bilge and the cycles are really rapid in gunning and patch so the score remains relatively even.

In all of them puzzling scores as much as it should. You can cascade, you can loop pieces and score without limitations.
In Carpentry the non-transition property just forces you to score like a beginner. Nothing in Sailing,Navigation,Bilge e.t.c resets your scoring capability. Future clears don't score next to nothing and you certainly get to keep your platform progress.

Greenblood: blblblblblblblbl

You don't seem to understand anything at all. Not going to explain anything any further :-)
----------------------------------------
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Mar 26, 2018 6:54:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forumacc1

Greenblood, if I was you, I'd just ignore this Goodwill100 dude. All he wants is to revive his threads over and over with multiple accounts, and everytime he's trapped in a discussion, or he can't defend his points with arguments, he turns to ad hominem, like these:

PS: I agree that I'm a more talented sailor than you.

You took a misunderstanding too far my Ultimate Malachite SFer.

: -)

Now he's telling you that you don't understand anything because you actually know how to hyperrank.

Don't be surprised, after all, it's the same guy who got mad at you and insulted you for merely beating him in a Rumble fight.
Pls, give him another forum ban.

@Pikapyah, OP:

You are not ranking up because you're probably not doing many scoring sessions.

I'll "revive" my old post too, since it's about your issue.

It's irrelevant if, as you said, you score a lot of Incredibles but only pull 3-4 sessions everytime you play the puzzle. It's possible, but it'll take you a very long time, your experience in Carpentry is just Solid, so with no hyperranking, you won't go up fastly. This "Puzzle Pirates" game, sadly, isn't very optimized when it comes to puzzling.
[Mar 26, 2018 11:58:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

I actually have no idea who you are.

Also I may be mistaken because at least for me doing incredibly short sessions did not result in a standing change, but it very well could just have been my imagination.
Maybe they changed it to 1 minute? Who knows, I certainly do not as I've only heard about hyperranking from other pirates and did not have the same results replicating these videos (The standing wouldn't budge even on Incredible indicator and multiple low experience sessions).
From what I can tell though is that you should calm down, jesus. I don't even think I've seen you on Obsidian.
I agree that the puzzling is not optimized and flakey though.
----------------------------------------
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Mar 27, 2018 5:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates