• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5237 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

It's Time To Design Egg Furniture!
Hard Boiled, Soft Boiled, Hard Scrambled, Soft Scrambled, Sunny Side Up, Over Easy, Over Medium, Over Hard, Poached, Baked, Basted, Fried!
This year, it's all about scramble!
(I totally blame Hera )

Here's your chance to design Eggs to become furniture items in the game. The scrambled version! We need you to design us the most awesome Eggs you can, and we'll be picking out the best designs to put into the game. On top of that, you have to design them fast!

Remember that you have to design the flat square design that will then be rendered onto an egg shape - you don't design a finished egg-shaped design.

Post your entries in the Entry thread here

-- Include your design in your entry post as an image, using image tags .
-- Images must be 256 x 256 pixels
-- Images must be .png format
-- Include pirate name and ocean in your post
-- If you have a preference on whether your egg (if chosen) is purchaseable or unpurchaseable, make sure to mention this as well or we'll choose for you! (Please note that the arrrtists reserve the right to make the final a ruling in this matter.)
-- You can enter up to 8 designs each. These must all be in a single post - edit your post to change or add designs, until the deadline.

To post an image:
-- Save your image at the correct size as a .png image on your computer
-- Upload it to a website - either your own webspace, or use one of the main free sites such as imgur.com, imageshack.com, photobucket.com, etc, and get the url for the image on that site.
-- Ensure that your image is not in a private area that requires log-in to view. Get a mate to check they can see it with your url.
-- In your entry post, enclose the url in image tags as shown here and here
-- PREVIEW BEFORE POSTING - if the image isn't showing on preview, check your url and tags.
-- Remember to add your pirate name and ocean before posting.

Other rules and guidelines:
-- You should submit original work - this means that you have to create the design yourself. References to copyrighted intellectual properties should be excluded from the entries . You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.
-- Your design should be able to 'wrap' - this means that the two sides of the design should join up seamlessly with no discontinuity where the two sides meet. Test this by laying two copies of your design side by side and check if it has an unsightly seam running down the egg. Please note that while we encourage artists to present seamless designs, a seam is acceptable as long as the egg looks good when rendered. If you are unable to make a seamless design no matter how hard you try, submit the entry anyway if you feel your design is good!
-- Remember the shape-changing effect of putting your design round an egg. A design that looks sensible in a square template could look strange on the final egg model. Keep in mind that your design may be rotated for the final egg.
-- The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!
-- Keep it simple. The design has to work on a relatively small object, make sure your design shines through.
--This YPPedia page shows the winning Easter eggs since 2006.
--Make sure to check the second post for "Tips and tricks and links and things"!

The deadline for egg designs is Saturday, March 10th, 2017 - 11:59 PM game time.
If yours is one of the winning designs chosen, your prize is to get your design created as a bit of in-game furniture, and you'll be given a couple of eggs in your design and the Gilded Egg trophy if you don't already have it.

Go forth and lay eggs!

----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 16, 2018 2:23:49 PM]
[Feb 20, 2018 8:42:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game - Deadline: Saturday, March 10th Reply to this Post

Tips and tricks and links and things:

These links are included not just as a reminder of previous entries, but also because the threads contain a lot of useful information, and probably answer most of the questions that are likely to come up this year!

2018: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2018 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2017: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2017 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2016: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2016 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2015: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2015 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2014: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2014 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2013: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2013 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2012: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2012 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2011: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2011 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2010: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2010 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2009: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2009 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2008: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2008 rendering test thread -- People's Choice Easter Eggs!
2007: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2007 rendering test thread
2006: event thread -- entry thread -- entries flat version -- entries rendered versions -- 2006 rendering test thread

TUTORIALS!
-- YPPedia Egg Design page
-- YPPedia Helpful art tutorials and resources
-- Faeree's Egg Layout Design Tutorial
-- Faeree's 3DS Max Tutorial 2018

RENDERING!
In previous years, there have been kind folk willing and able to host a "Test Rendering Thread", which allows people who don't have access to appropriate software the chance to see their designs rendered and tweak them before deciding their final entries. Review the rendering threads from previous years so you can see the designs that were tested before being finalized - take a look - it will give you lots of ideas for what works and what doesn't!

-- If you want a copy of the basic egg mesh file, it's linked from Egg#Competition_files . You can use this if you wish to test your design and you have a 3D modeling program. Note that you do not need to do this to enter - just if you want to try it out yourself.
-- If you're keen to test it, there are easy downloads of 30 days free trial versions of some 3D modeling software (e.g. 3D studio max or Blender).
-- Quick instructions on how to get the correct viewpoint for the eggs are here.

-- Hopefully we will have a rendering test thread soon! We do! Rendering thread is here

If there are updated instructions I should link to or other useful tutorials I may have missed, I'll be happy to edit these in! Thanks again to those people who have helped in the past with rendering and YPPedia pages, and to those who (I hope!) will do so this year, thanks in advance. This Eggomelet wouldn't be the same without you all!

Edit: removing outdated information
Edit: added Faeree's tutorials

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Clotho at Apr 8, 2018 1:09:16 PM]
[Feb 20, 2018 9:29:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Re: SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game - Deadline: Saturday, March 10th Reply to this Post

With a lot of thanks to Scythera... I've already started messing with designs (old and new) for eggs.
Hope there will be a rendering thread!! *puppy eyes*
Bisca - Obsidian Ocean - former Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Jumar
[Feb 21, 2018 11:59:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Ooh ooh ooh I want to try this year!

It looks like photobucket's no-more-direct-linking-because-we're-old-and-want-money has broken both of Silveransom's forum tutorial posts, unfortunately.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Feb 21, 2018 4:33:42 PM]
[Feb 21, 2018 4:24:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Hi mates, I've updated the tutorial for the 3DS Studio Max 2018 version . Please let me know if I missed a step, etc. if you use it. Thank ye :)
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Feb 22, 2018 1:46:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Hi folks!

So this year I've been asked a few times about what? where? how? to get started making an egg design (yay! new egg lovers!). I had 3 images of Silveransoms saved from when I was first learning and since his threads are pretty well defunct due to missing images I wanted to share them with you and figured I'd create a tutorial of what I could make out in those old forum posts along with tips I worked out along the way.

This is by no means the only ways to design an egg skin but I hope its a good starting point for some of you not sure how to start.

If you have any feedback for me and/or if I am missing something that you would like me to include please let me know!

Thank ye :)

Tutorial Linkie
Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 27, 2018 3:30:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Added the tutorials to the Tips & Tricks post, thank you! Please holler if anything needs updating.
[Feb 27, 2018 9:22:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

If you have any feedback for me and/or if I am missing something that you would like me to include please let me know!

Tutorial Linkie

I love the tutorial. I used to reference Silveransom's post/images too and I'm glad you've made it a YPPedia page.

I have a tip for on the "seamless design" section

A benefit of having your design be seamless, is that it gives the Ringers options for egg placement and ultimately the design will look very different based on its skin placement. A tip for determining your design element placement is using something like Offset in Photoshop.

A quick and easy way to see if your design is seamless, is to duplicate your design in a post, or even in a private message to yourself, without any spaces between the two image tags.

Dexla d'Midnight
[Feb 28, 2018 8:31:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Tutorial Linkie

I love the tutorial. I used to reference Silveransom's post/images too and I'm glad you've made it a YPPedia page.

I have a tip for on the "seamless design" section

A benefit of having your design be seamless, is that it gives the Ringers options for egg placement and ultimately the design will look very different based on its skin placement. A tip for determining your design element placement is using something like Offset in Photoshop.

A quick and easy way to see if your design is seamless, is to duplicate your design in a post, or even in a private message to yourself, without any spaces between the two image tags.

Thank ye Dexla :D I was glad I found those images since its a shame Photobucket got rid of their free storage.

Woot! Thank ye for the forum seamless test. I forgot about that one :D I updated the tutorial. Let me know if the way I added ye is OK :)
Apollo wrote: 

[Feb 28, 2018 12:19:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Woot! Thank ye for the forum seamless test. I forgot about that one :D I updated the tutorial. Let me know if the way I added ye is OK :)

*big thumbs up!*
Dexla d'Midnight
[Mar 2, 2018 11:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Will the winners be announced here or in the entry thread? Or both?
Good Luck Everyone!

[Mar 11, 2018 6:50:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Will the winners be announced here or in the entry thread? Or both?
Good Luck Everyone!

I thought we voted? Or was that some other design thing? Either way it was a ton of fun.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Mar 11, 2018 6:58:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

I thought we voted? Or was that some other design thing? Either way it was a ton of fun.

Winners are announced by Oceanmasters, usually it takes about a week, and a dozen are chosen.

Then after, we vote in the "People's Choice Awards".

Edit: grammar
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ticktick123 at Mar 11, 2018 8:24:14 AM]
[Mar 11, 2018 7:15:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game [In Judging] Reply to this Post

Judging has commenced. The winners will be announced in this thread. Thank you all for participating!
[Mar 11, 2018 10:35:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Re: SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Arrrtists asked me to tell you all that they had a hard time picking the winners this year. There were a lot of great eggs in this crop! So, even if your egg wasn't in the winner group, it doesn't mean that it wasn't really great. Save them up for future contests, mates. They were really great this year!

Here is the much expected scrambled dozen for this year. Congratulations to all the winners!

Arianne of Obsidian - "Factions Egg"

Bohemond of Obsidian - "Chocolate Glaze Egg"

Book of Obsidian - "Shark Egg"

Charavie of Obsidian - "Choco Nav Egg"

Filthyjake of Obsidian - "Heart o' the Rainbow Egg"

Firstround of Emerald - "Compass Egg"

Greylady of Obsidian - "Panda Egg"

Jonthecarper of Obsidian - "Carpentry Egg"

Ozzy of Obsidian - "Cloudy Night Egg"

Redleaf of Obsidian - "Hypnotized Egg"

Scythera of Obsidian - "Chinese Cat Egg"

Zapa of Emerald - "Green Egg"

The prizes and trophy (if you don't already have it) will be delivered as soon as the eggs are in game. Please note that these may not be the final rotations/angles.The names may not be final and I don't have information on when these will be released, nor on which eggs will be available in the Palace Shoppe, what the prices will be, or which eggs will be events-only. If you're not one of the winners picked this year, don't despair - there's always next year. And chances are that one of your eggs was somebody's favorite!

Thank you everyone for participating, you are who make this event wonderful! Special thanks to our eggstraordinary renderers, Greylady and Faeree, who scramble the best renderings!
[Mar 16, 2018 2:23:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ticktick123

Re: SCRAMBLED EGGS 2018! Design Furniture for the Game [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Really awesome entries this year! Congratulations to the other Winners!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ticktick123 at Mar 16, 2018 3:58:32 PM]
[Mar 16, 2018 2:44:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dalathar

Woo! Thanks for choosing my egg! Congratulations to all the other winners. Thanks again to Greylady and Faeree for all their help!
Bohemond on Obsidian
[Mar 16, 2018 2:44:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Congratulations to all the winners!

Wohoo, I'm so excited. Thanks again :)
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Mar 16, 2018 2:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Hooray! Congrats to all the winners. There were some really great designs entered and I'm sure a lot of effort was put into it.
Thanks again to the renderers for helping us to see how the flat designs wrapped.
Special mention to Adelaidean who suggested something green!
And to GH, thanks for judging so quickly!
Zapa of Emerald
[Mar 16, 2018 3:09:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

I am very proud of each and every winner.
Also I am proud of those who did not get chosen this year.
Hopefully next year another chance!

[Mar 16, 2018 3:27:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Harshex

YAAAAAS!!! I loved this one so much.

Firstround of Emerald - "Compass Egg"

Congrats everyone
ExuberanceSalacious of Meridian & Obsidian
Severe of Emerald

Derp.
[Mar 16, 2018 4:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
charavia

Aaaaarrrrrr! Congrats everyone!!
Thanks for choosing my Choco Nav egg! also thank you both Greylady and Faeree for the rendering!!

Book of Obsidian - "Shark Egg"

I want it !!
Charavie ndo el foro.
Obsidian
[Mar 16, 2018 6:06:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firstroundz

Wow! Thank you so much for picking my egg! Yay for the carp egg being picked too, I love that one! And also, thanks for the support Salacious <3. So many amazing eggs from everyone!
Firstround on Emerald
[Mar 16, 2018 7:01:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

Yay thanks! I really thought I did terrible this time round. Classes kept me from doing too much experimenting :( Thanks and congrats to everyone. I hope all the eggs are reentered next year, they were soooo good.
I sometimes do avatars!
I do believe in fairies!!!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[Mar 16, 2018 8:12:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Congrats to the winners! There are some really neat designs this year.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Mar 17, 2018 6:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Thanks so much for choosing my Panda Egg! Also, I appreciate all of the kind words of thanks for rendering. It has been my pleasure!

To all of the winners, congratulations! I was so glad to see many new mates participating this year, and I truly think we had some of the best egg entries ever, so please re-submit them next year. :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Mar 17, 2018 7:29:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Honored to have been chosen so many great eggs. Thank you to those who hosted and helped with this event.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Mar 17, 2018 8:59:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Ooh shiny new eggies! Congrats mates! Looking forward to seeing them in game! :D
Apollo wrote: 

[Mar 17, 2018 9:12:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
pixierain486

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you so much for picking mine! :)

Looking forward to hunting for these ingame soon!
*~* Scythera of Obsidian & Meridian & Emerald Ocean *~*

[Mar 18, 2018 10:25:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.cherrycake4.com [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

There were so many awesome entries this year that its going to be a tough time picking my favorites! But it is time for... People's Choice!

PEOPLE'S CHOICE INFO!
Are you happy to see new eggs in game but sad that an egg design your heart was aching for didn't get picked? Did that egg you were sure would match yer ship theme get snuffed? Then let your choice be heard by voting in the 2018 People's Choice!

Vote for your favorite NON-WINNING egg design instructions posted here!

Apollo wrote: 

[Mar 18, 2018 11:18:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates