• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4014 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Tomanomanous

FAB's Treasure Hunt Reply to this Post

Fresh and Bold's Treasure Hunt

This event is free for any pirate to enter, and will require in-game participation, however being able to navigate the game's wiki will greatly assist with the treasure hunt. There will be a mixture of puzzles and scavenger hunting, with a variety of prizes, to ensure everyone participating has an opportunity at a prize.

Prepare to whisk like crazy though! To fully complete the puzzle, you shouldn't need more than 10 swigs of a whisking potion and 500 PoE.

The event will begin at 5pm game time on the 16th of March.

At the beginning of the event, there will be an encoded treasure map posted to this forum along with some scavenger hunt questions. The first letter or number in the answer to the scavenger hunt questions will be part of a code to unlock a pdf file containing both a hint to decoding the treasure map, a challenge with a small prize at the end, and part of the code to the 6th pdf, which will provide a clue as to the exact location of the treasure.

To find the treasure you must be the first person to post a screenshot to this forum on the correct spot where I 'buried' it. To win a minor prize, you must be the first to complete the challenge.

Minor prizes range from 10,000 PoE to 30,000 PoE and total 100,000 PoE.
The buried treasure's value is around 400,000 PoE and is rumoured to contain assorted goods including no less than 5 chromas, 2 spring boxes, and a War Brig.

I anticipate it will take 1-2 hours to complete the event, however if the event goes over drastically overtime and I have to go offline, the event will still continue, with the exception of two of the five side challenges, which aren't possible without me being present.

I also apologise in advance for the art, not the greatest artist by a long shot! Once a prize is claimed I will update it here, and no-one else can claim that prize. Answers to the scavenger hunt questions must be exactly the same as mine to unlock a pdf, so if you think you have the answer and the pdf is not unlocking, send me a tell (I may not be able to get back to you if I have too many tells, so try again in 2-3 minutes if I miss it), and only if you are right but using the wrong word will I reply and let you know what the word is. As I am Australian there could be (but I doubt it) spelling differences of words for example (I would spell it colour not color for example).
----------------------------------------
Tomanomanous - Princess of Fresh and Bold on Obsidian
Tumanumanus - Totally inconspicuous undercover spy in Marooned on Obsidian

Avatar by the brilliant Crabcake
[Edit 12 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 16, 2018 5:19:08 PM]
[Feb 20, 2018 3:48:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Re: FAB's Treasure Hunt Reply to this Post

Scavenger Hunt
The scavenger hunt unlocks the pdfs, it doesn't result in prizes, the pdfs have challenges in them! See the How-To for more information!

Difficulty: Don't even have to move! zehegr

• 1. What is the name of the familiar of the Ocean Master who is held as a doll in the portrait of the monarch of the flag that holds Port Venture? Zeus
  • 2. According to one of Fresh and Bold's crews, a what a day keeps the krakens away? Hera
  • 3. According to the in-game FAQ page, where is Puzzle Pirates set? Great Ocean

Difficulty: No whisking potion required! ch93

• 1. Night Harbour has six rowboats on the dock. What type of rowboat is the one furthest to the west? Chum
  • 2. How many pumpkins are in port venture's pumpkin patch? 9 (Some of the pumpkins are doubled up).
  • 3. How many cocktails are on the barrel behind Lionhaven's Shack? 3

Difficulty: Easy Questions wi3

• 1. What does the statue with the island inscription on Loggerhead Island have on its back? Wings
  • 2. How many games tables are in the back room of Gulp of Goon on Magpie Island? 3

Difficulty: Medium Questions mo28puor

• 1. What is in the tree on Kreis Island approximately 23 paces south and 7 paces east of this location ? Monkeys
  • 2. How many trees are on Devil's Heart? 28 This was a tough one, and I probably won't ever do trees again, but counting trunks, there are 28 trees (however as someone pointed out, counting leaves there are 30).
  • 3. On Point Petrify, what is the predominant colour of the treasure chest in the middle of the small island across the bridge? Purple
  • 4. What colour is on either edge of the flag located on Cavum Ridge? Orange

Difficulty: Hard Questions fl311

• 1. In the swamp areas of Huracan Island, there are alligators, turtles and what animal? Flamingo
  • 2. How many snow-covered trees surround the inscription on Bogong Cove? 3
  • 3. How many black crystals piles are located on Krakentoa Island? 11

Puzzle

PDFs
Don't even have to move! - First person to correctly post the answer on the forum wins the prize! Claimed by Bisca
No whisking potion required! - First person to offer a trade or transfer of the correct items will win the prize. The answer to this challenge is in the puzzle above. Claimed by Opsat
Easy questions! - First pirate to correctly post the answer, what is wrong with the image, on the forum wins this prize! Claimed by Wiggin
Medium questions! - First player to correctly post the answer on the forum wins the prize! Full date including time! Claimed by Slothz
Hard questions! - First player to /tell tomanomanous the correct answer wins the prize! The answer to this challenge is in the puzzle above.
Final Clue to the Burried Treasure - The first player to post a screenshot of themselves on the correct tile will find the buried treasure! The password is made up of hints in the above pdfs. Claimed by Vermiljoen

[Edit 13 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 17, 2018 4:37:15 PM]
[Feb 20, 2018 3:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

How-To

Paces
The most important thing to understand is paces. It wouldn't be buried treasure if it wasn't located x paces to the east of such and such landmark!

The following image is of my pirate walking 1 pace south and 1 pace east.

Unlocking PDFs
The PDFs used in this puzzle are each locked with a password. The passwords will be made of the first 2 letters or numbers of each scavenger hunt question. If a PDF is for question 8-10, and the answers are Triplet's Treasure, Coconut and 180, the PDF's code will be trco18. If an answer only has one letter or number, then only that letter or number is used.

You have to download the original PDF from the link provided, and can skip that timer by clicking on the bit where it says 'click here'.

Uploading Screenshots
There are a lot of free screenshot hosting websites out there. Some don't even require you to sign up. The one I used just let you drop a picture onto it then it gave you a link. To get the screenshot on the forum, visit that link, then right click your picture and click 'copy image address'. Paste this address in your forum post inside a [img] set of brackets (the other one would say /img with the square brackets) and you have a screenshot up on the forum!

The Puzzle
After being asked various questions about the puzzle itself (the big map), I have decided to clarify one thing. What I say blue, green and red, I mean shades of those colours. Whilst orange isn't technically a shade of red, its not on the blue or green spectrum, so it counts as red for the sake of the puzzle!

If anyone does want to donate a prize (I was intending on doing this particular event self-funded), if you give me sufficient warning I can make a second, third or maybe even fourth treasure map to greatly expand the event. I will not be able to do side challenges like the map I have made originally, as it will lead to too much work on the day for one person. I will not be showing donators any of the puzzles, so they may participate for any of the prizes, even their own.

There will be no hints that are not available to everyone, under any circumstances. I will provide additional hints if the puzzle ends up being too difficult, however completing the scavenger hunt should provide more than enough information on how to decode the treasure map.

[Edit 6 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 16, 2018 6:19:40 PM]
[Feb 20, 2018 3:48:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Looking forward to hunt for the treasure!

Only concern I have is that you said it would only take 1-2 hours to solve. :P
Is it comparable with Jazz's first adventure that took ~18 hours to solve? (because you mentioned unlocking pdf's)

Also any updates on this?
16th March is in around a week wohoo.
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.
Current Shiny Sun Point collection: 2/30

Is desperately looking for autumn pie furniture on Obsidian.
[Mar 7, 2018 3:06:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

It will be nothing like Jazz's first adventure! Well maybe a little, but I don't want to be online for 18 hours because I made the puzzle too hard!

The event started as a scavenger hunt, so it is half scavenger hunt, half puzzle, designed to be easy enough for most people to be able to do.

The format will be a treasure map, which is in code, which you must decode. The decoded treasure map will give you half the information you need to find the treasure. The scavenger hunt will give you the other half of the information, as well as the challenges for the side prizes. Completing the scavenger hunt also unlocks a hint for decoding the puzzle for those having difficulty.

The answers to the scavenger hunt questions will in some way relate to unlocking the pdfs (but for now I won't say how!)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 7, 2018 7:18:11 PM]
[Mar 7, 2018 7:15:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jinxie2

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Hit me up in game and I'll be happy to donate a prize :)
Stargazy on Obsidian
[Mar 8, 2018 2:50:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Interesting!
/e watches this thread.

Prepare to whisk like crazy though!

I can buy the potions but... any tips for those like me who don't have all the islands on our maps yet?
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Mar 10, 2018 12:44:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

any tips for those like me who don't have all the islands on our maps yet

I have tried to make the scavenger hunt element increase in difficulty by having the first questions on easily accessible islands, and progressively getting to less accessible islands. This means that its probably easier to go to a smaller island for a prize, with the challenge uncovered from islands you can reach. There will be questions from wild seas islands, but they start on PV/NH/LH.

[Mar 10, 2018 2:55:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Hit me up in game and I'll be happy to donate a prize :)

Hey, so for this event I wasn't planning on having donated prizes, as it is just testing the waters of a puzzle/scavenger hunt style event. If you were wanting to donate a prize I would definitely recommend checking out our next event by clicking here.

[Mar 13, 2018 9:10:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Starts in around 1 hour boys and gals!

Wohoo :D
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.

[Mar 16, 2018 3:54:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Only 1 minute late posting! Good luck everyone!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:03:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vermiljoen

1 zehegr
Vermiljoen on the Obsidian Ocean
[Mar 16, 2018 5:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vermiljoen

edited because we shouldn't post the answer .. oops
Vermiljoen on the Obsidian Ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vermiljoen at Mar 16, 2018 5:33:46 PM]
[Mar 16, 2018 5:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

1. Zeus
2. A Hera a day keeps the kraken away!
3. Fathomless Sweep of the Great Ocean.
Bisca - Obsidian Ocean - former Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Jumar
[Mar 16, 2018 5:13:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

The point is to do the challenge in the pdf, the scavenger hunt answers only unlock the pdfs with the challenges within them!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:14:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Taskbeta

Okay The first one is August 20th
Bisca - Obsidian Ocean - former Emerald Ocean

Avvy by: Jumar
[Mar 16, 2018 5:19:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Goodwill100 at Mar 16, 2018 5:21:33 PM]
[Mar 16, 2018 5:21:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Okay The first one is August 20th

Correct!

The answers to the scavenger hunt questions were,
Zeus
Hera
Great Ocean
With the password being zehegr.

The PDF asked for the date of the Monday of Atlantis week during august, which is the 20th!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:23:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Updated 2 of the PDFs with clarifications due to a number of tells with people who were very confused. These hopefully give nothing away had have everyone at least on the same playing field!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abcfox

Easy questions.The odd item is the powderbag in the bottom left. IGN-Wiggin
Wiggin on the Hunter Ocean
Paranoia
Eye of the Storm
[Mar 16, 2018 5:34:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Spot on Wiggin!

The picture had a powder bag added in near the cannons in the bottom left! The screenshot is in port venture!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:37:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Hint posted for the tree question to help move things along as it seems to be giving people the most difficulty!

[Mar 16, 2018 5:53:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

All six PDFs have been broken into! The people who are in the sixth now have to solve the puzzle to combine the knowledge from the sixth pdf with the answer to the puzzle to find the treasure!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 16, 2018 6:09:48 PM]
[Mar 16, 2018 6:00:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abcfox

Medium questions: March 11,2018 5:08pm
Wiggin on the Hunter Ocean
Paranoia
Eye of the Storm
[Mar 16, 2018 6:12:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Incorrect!

[Mar 16, 2018 6:14:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Added a slight hint to the puzzle, in the context of the puzzle, orange is in the red spectrum.

[Mar 16, 2018 6:20:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Thank you Opsat for bringing me the swill that took my crewmen from me. In the puzzle I say I lost 3 good men at the distillery, and the bit I am secretly proud of is the number of the captains log 741, as swill takes 7 sugar cane, 4 wood and 1 iron!

[Mar 16, 2018 6:28:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

Alright, clue time!

Firstly, the code for the sixth pdf is a hint as to how to solve the puzzle.

Secondly, the answer to the puzzle is the island you need to use the sixth pdf on to find the treasure!

We have had many people list potential red herrings, but the red herring is yet to be found. If you have told me an element of the puzzle is a red herring, and you haven't received a prize, it must be important!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tomanomanous at Mar 16, 2018 7:06:15 PM]
[Mar 16, 2018 7:02:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Goodwill100

This seems to be the treasure? Yargh
Jonthecarper on Obsidian

Likes Carpentry.

[Mar 16, 2018 7:13:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tomanomanous

This seems to be the treasure? Yargh

You've come up empty!

[Mar 16, 2018 7:14:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates