• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1043 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
adelaidean12

Suggestion for adding faction reward trinkets to Classic Oceans Reply to this Post

Ahoy fellow pirates,

This thread is about players' ideas on how faction reward trinkets can be added to Classic Oceans (comprising of Cerulean, Emerald and Meridian). This follows on from a recent post from Forculus (see quote below, emphasis added (bold))

There had been requests from players to add more incentive to PvP in Dark Seas, so this recent update was largely focused on that. Since the classic oceans are less focused on PvP, this update wasn't as relevant there. But we'll continue to add content and features that applies to all oceans, and we'll find a way to get these owls onto the other oceans in the future. But for now, we'd like for the owls to be associated with players who have been successful in the faction combat of Dark Seas.

Currently, the faction reward trinkets are awarded for certain PvP battles on the Obsidian Ocean and they are nontradeable.

One important thing for the developers to consider when assessing how faction reward trinkets are added to Classic Oceans is that all players, regardless of whether they have able or ultimate stats, must have the opportunity to earn these rewards, with a bit of work to earn them, especially if they are nontradeable.

=====================

My suggestion is that the faction reward trinkets should be a new expedition that is added to the Classic Oceans. This would also minimise the work (I hope) that would be required by the developers to add this feature to the Classic Oceans.

The new expedition would be similar to non-sinking Imperial Outposts and named Faction Outposts. Faction Outpost expedition maps would be available from Explorer's Halls and be available in various sizes (including small and medium). They would require the player ship to sink the enemy vessel guarding the faction site. Once the players land on the faction outpost, either a swordfight or a rumble fray would need to be won before a faction reward trinket is awarded. Other rewards for winning the fray would be poes, grog and cannon balls (just like the non-sinking Imperial Outposts). If the players do not either sink the enemy vessel or do not win the fray then they will be forced back on to the player ship. The player ship would not be sunk even if the players lose.

Three types of Faction Outpost expedition maps would be available. Small expedition maps would be the easiest (in terms of bnav and fray) and would award one faction reward trinket if players win. Medium expedition maps would have medium difficulty and would award two faction reward trinkets if players win. Large expedition maps would have the maximum difficulty and would award three faction reward trinkets if players win. The varying expedition map difficulties will help make these expeditions open to pirates with all skill levels.

On Obsidian, 30 faction reward trinkets are required for a random coloured owl with 50 faction reward trinkets for either a crimson or shadow owl. Designs for ships require 8 faction reward trinkets for a sloop design, 10 faction reward trinkets for a war brig design and a 15 faction reward trinkets for a war frigate design.

I think it would be a good idea if the faction reward trinkets would be tradeable for both crimson and shadow chromas like other mystery box chromas eg spring green and plum. If developers add this, then this should be implemented across all oceans.

While it is up to the developers to decide how many faction reward trinkets would be required for the above mentioned rewards on Classic Oceans, as the player ship would not be lost, then I think the number of faction reward trinkets to earn rewards on Classic Oceans should be more than what is required on Obsidian. I suggest the developers consider at least doubling the faction reward trinkets needed to earn rewards on Classic Oceans. For example, this would mean that 100 faction reward trinkets would be required for crimson or shadow owls. I note the spider box artifact requires 100 black box trinkets so this would ensure consistency of approach regarding the number of trinkets that are required as they are both familiars.

As long as all players, regardless of skill level are able to play and earn the faction reward trinkets, then making both them and the items earned from them nontradeable is acceptable on Classic Oceans. Thank you in advance.
===========
If pirates have an idea on how to improve my suggestion or any other suggestions on how to add faction reward trinkets to Classic Oceans, then please post them in this thread. Have a nice day.
----------------------------------------
Adelaidean
Emerald Ocean
Obsidian Ocean
[Feb 19, 2018 12:31:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Re: Suggestion for adding faction reward trinkets to Classic Oceans Reply to this Post

I'm a bit behind on forum threads, just catching up.

I do agree that, at least for now, faction trinkets on Obsidian seem to be limited to either those who intentionally arrange faction sinks, or those who are elite. I also agree that if/when owls/other Dark Seas content comes to production oceans, they should not be elitegated (either elite stats or multi-ship owner). I'm even fine with the idea of an expedition that awards new trinkets that can be traded in for designs/owls/etc.

My problem with the suggestion is that we don't need another IO expedition. Having done literally hundreds upon hundreds of IOs, we don't need more.

Perhaps some sort of tower-defense thing? Towers can semi-intelligently shoot you, but if you shoot the base so many times, the tower comes down. Take down 3 towers in x turns to win trinket (or start fray). Island design can make the towers more interesting.

TL/DR:
* We need to make sure things aren't elite-gated when they come to production
* Expedition is a great way
* Not just IO variant, though
* Maybe tower defense expedition?
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Feb 28, 2018 1:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Suggestion for adding faction reward trinkets to Classic Oceans Reply to this Post

Honestly, I think it would be a foolish keep making/developing the oceans to be the same they all lack players. If any have chance at growth they needs to not be replicated, making a competing product, they should be different. Factions are an Obsidian thing, and deeply flawed system but that is for a different post.

I think they should make owls a free fam that you get by completing broad in every station or some sort of navy tutorial.

This creates a incentive to play every puzzle, or complete a full tutorial which this game lacks.

I think this should be implemented on all oceans as a way to get people to try all parts of the game/learn more about the game.

To add a little salt it would take longer then the fixed pvp sink going on currently on Obsidian.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Feb 28, 2018 3:47:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Dark ships are showing in the trading post and shipyards on Ice. However, there is no recent changelog mentioned for these, so I'm not sure how they work there.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Feb 28, 2018 10:47:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates