• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1088 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Albinoninja

Shipwright Question Reply to this Post

I'm having a lot of trouble doing the shipwright puzzle. I'm able to chain together 4-5 clears, but I can't seem to move up past able/proficient level of play. The problem with this is that it seems to me that you need to get the 5 tile pieces/gold to really do a good job with this puzzle, but I'm never going to see these as my rank won't ever move up.

Seems like a bit of a catch-22, but I could be completely wrong. Am I just not puzzling right?

Sorry if this isn't proper for this forum, I'm just a bit frustrated.

-Signed a Broad/Proficient Shipwright
[Feb 18, 2018 3:54:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

Re: Shipwright Question Reply to this Post

I'm having a lot of trouble doing the shipwright puzzle. I'm able to chain together 4-5 clears, but I can't seem to move up past able/proficient level of play. The problem with this is that it seems to me that you need to get the 5 tile pieces/gold to really do a good job with this puzzle, but I'm never going to see these as my rank won't ever move up.

Seems like a bit of a catch-22, but I could be completely wrong. Am I just not puzzling right?

Sorry if this isn't proper for this forum, I'm just a bit frustrated.

-Signed a Broad/Proficient Shipwright

Hi Albinoninja,

First a question; what Ocean do you play on? If you are playing on Obsidian the scoring curve is much higher due to the high skill of a lot of players. If you played SW on Emerald and got constant Excellent, you most likely would only be getting constant Good on Obsidian.

Secondly, how are you arranging your clears? Are you placing your three pieces before your four pieces? A good thing to do as well is anticipate a piece that might show up so you can place it right away. With only having 3-4 pieces you should be able to get 5-6 pieces placed.

This is a really good thread to read up on shipwright scoring and explains better than I ever could.

Hope to see you on the leaderboards sometime!
----------------------------------------
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Feb 18, 2018 7:49:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Albinoninja

Hey, thanks for responding. So I'm on Obsidian, and only getting fine for each time I play. I'm clearing generally in a 3-3-3-4-4 pattern, removing the three if I only end up clearing 4 pieces.

My main problem with most shipwright tutorials is that they talk about making sure you get a five clear in there at the end or use gold, which I don't have either of.

I appreciate the optimism on the last line! But Obsidian has too many good players, and it's pretty disheartening to those of us who are trying to move up in the world.

Thanks for the reply, though. I'll see if I can do any better.
[Feb 19, 2018 7:14:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Hey, thanks for responding. So I'm on Obsidian, and only getting fine for each time I play. I'm clearing generally in a 3-3-3-4-4 pattern, removing the three if I only end up clearing 4 pieces.

My main problem with most shipwright tutorials is that they talk about making sure you get a five clear in there at the end or use gold, which I don't have either of.

I appreciate the optimism on the last line! But Obsidian has too many good players, and it's pretty disheartening to those of us who are trying to move up in the world.

Thanks for the reply, though. I'll see if I can do any better.

It takes time to get those pieces keep grinding they will come
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Feb 19, 2018 7:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

If you dont have one five piece, its important to make a high vegas. Start with a vegas and make it with anticipating bigger and bigger. Vegas 2 to 5 is easy to make cuz the pieces are not so big. So you can get incredibles and high excellents on every ocean. This will push you up and you will get the first five piece ... have fun :).
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Feb 19, 2018 10:45:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Albinoninja

Vegas 2 to 5 is easy to make cuz the pieces are not so big

You say that a Vegas is easy, but since the pieces come in randomly after a clear, how do you plan to clear more than ~4-5 times without a wild piece? Honestly, I'm starting to think that I should just give the whole darn thing up.
[Feb 19, 2018 12:44:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

There is a 2/5 chance once you get gold and before that 1/4 chance of the piece you need appearing when you make clears. Arranging the leftover pieces to partly form patterns you couldn't make or other possible patterns often gives you a higher score than you otherwise would have. It is better to do this with smaller patterns as you can make more of those, though if you clear more 4s than 3s say when you get 5 piece shapes make more of those 4 piece ones.

Also important is after each clear the timer resets so take your time making sure the pieces appearing match the patterns appearing and if they don't go for say a bingo instead of a donkey. Triples tank your score. The timer resetting also gives you time to see if patterns that appear can be placed, or almost placed, which can change the order that you clear shapes if the latter is true.

Then just use overtime carefully, get a bingo instead of a donkey for example so that you can get another one in the overtime.

On Obsidian doing all this along with what you said you are doing will get you on average a good, which is enough to get you to skilled or better and eventually 5 pieces. I am probably missing something as I still get fines sometimes, but I also read that the puzzle has the highest amount of luck involved.
Bauds of Obsidian, formerly Cerulean and before that Midnight.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bauds at Feb 19, 2018 1:45:26 PM]
[Feb 19, 2018 1:41:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

You say that a Vegas is easy, but since the pieces come in randomly after a clear, how do you plan to clear more than ~4-5 times without a wild piece? Honestly, I'm starting to think that I should just give the whole darn thing up.

Clear the 3's and try to get more 3's with anticipating. After this make the same with the 4's. Sometimes you can lay one more 3 before you lay a 4, then do it. After all the 4's are cleared, try to clear more 3's and so on ..... Ok, its much brain working and you need anticipating experience, but its real easy to get Vegas 2 to 5 or more on these easy boards. In short form i can say, play with the random! Its much luck, but you can manipulate the luck!
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Feb 19, 2018 2:49:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates