• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1621 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Filthyjake

Factions Whats the Point Reply to this Post

Truly what is the point of factions, its really a fake fight/war as their is so much cross jobbing, and infighting with in the faction's.

Example CIS and AH are not really liked based on jobber support by much of their factions, partially because they well (are/were) allies.

I have come to embrace the pvp part of the game enjoy it a great deal. As I currently sit crew less pondering to join a crew or create one I am trying to decide which faction would be best. Which seems to be the only aspect factions affect. I wouldn't be surprised to find people with alt flags on the other side just to move stock in the dark and unnoticed by their enemies.

Yes I know this part could go to game design but lets talk first?

Well the factions have no leader, perhaps this could be added some how like an ultimate monarch voted on my the Monarchs in the faction, or some sort of monthly vote open to all.

The faction monarch could call for votes to kick flags from the faction as well as other tasks, but then what do you do with the flags that no one wants....

I guess I just don't see the point of factions as the Defiant side attacked it self, and well in the BB vs CIS kade many from the Shadow side jobbed with BB, against their own faction. Now you have one faction in control but the win for BB came from many jobbers who didn't chose to support their faction.

----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
Subscribe for $49.95 a year
You can play free, with limited access. (just like no dubs)
[Jan 28, 2018 8:20:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: Factions Whats the Point Reply to this Post

Because making you be at mandatory war with ~half of the people you encounter makes you sink more which makes you give them more money. You're overthinking it if you think they wanted or expected some sort of internally consistent faction loyalty and politics.

What they need is a way to switch factions without disbanding the crew, and then penalties for doing things for the other faction.
[Jan 28, 2018 7:10:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Oh also, they need to just open like...every single colonizable island all at once.

You want a PVP ocean where people are in conflict more, give them 20 islands to fight over so everybody has to defend basically on their own because everybody else is too busy with the six other simultaneous blockades. That'll fix em.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Devonin at Jan 28, 2018 7:38:54 PM]
[Jan 28, 2018 7:38:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jameshughes

Gonna post an extreme idea for kicks.

What if they made it so that islands may only be blockaded by flags of the opposite faction? Crews would only be able to join flags of that faction, and flags can only ally with flags of the same faction.

So the islands would be handed off by DA flag->SF flag->DA flag etc. And maybe allied flags of the same faction could enter blockades on behalf of their allies defending/attacking islands and their vessels would receive a bounty for each ship filled (from the coffers of the primary flags).

This of course would require that we allow crews/flags to transfer factions. But maybe we could limit it to once every 2/3 months or so?

Would add a really interesting political/strategic aspect to factions and blockading.
~blackrock on the Obsidian Ocean
[Jan 29, 2018 1:07:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

Because making you be at mandatory war with ~half of the people you encounter makes you sink more which makes you give them more money.

I still don't fully understand what the big deal about the sinking environment is. I've been working on memming the ocean and am ~90% through, and nobody has ever attacked me or even attempted to.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Jan 29, 2018 4:34:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Because making you be at mandatory war with ~half of the people you encounter makes you sink more which makes you give them more money.

I still don't fully understand what the big deal about the sinking environment is. I've been working on memming the ocean and am ~90% through, and nobody has ever attacked me or even attempted to.

The pvp part of the game is great fun, I also have memed about 90% never been attacked. I was stalked a few times but I ported or abandoned the ship as I wasn't able to get help. Not sure how many ships are really sunk in a day if you look at the war tab following the weekend it was 4
[Jan 29, 2018 5:50:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Well the release and the faction trinkets are now worth more, so I guess that is something.
[Jan 29, 2018 1:52:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

All of these ideas sound nice but in practice would not work. Not enough people care about the factions when jobbing so unlikely alliances are necessary as well as interesting. Likewise, civil wars within factions are interesting and will hopefully keep the ocean from getting stale. If things were any different certain flags would grow too powerful and it would be too formulaic politically.
Bauds of Obsidian, formerly Cerulean and before that Midnight.
[Jan 30, 2018 1:58:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

All the ideas suggested so far are pretty neat. However, we tend to forget for a "fun" pvp environment theres needs to be a flourishing playerbase. This is something that ultimately most ideas and their implementation suffers from, Obsidian itself included.

As for the Faction trinkets incentive..I would have preferred if they atleast purged the trinkets from before. As if there was nobody exploiting the pvp mechs with alts :D
Cruzo of Obsidian
(rip other oceans)
[Jan 30, 2018 3:18:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates