• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3977 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
altheacat

Spreading the love... Reply to this Post

I've been keeping an eye on the server status and noticed that, at least until recently, the total game population has split roughly 2/3 on Obsidian and 1/3 on the other oceans, mainly Emerald. Currently it's about 50-50 and this morning there were more people logged on to Emerald than Obsidian. Why this should be the case is debatable, probably because the younger population of Obsidian has more family events than the probably adult population of Emerald does. This would make sense because we are in the main older pirates, we have played the game for longer and are attached to our ocean and our side of the game, rightly or wrongly.

In my case, I have been playing on and off since 2006 and am ridiculously fond of my hard won familiars and various LE pets, which have taken me a long time and a lot of work to acquire. I also have shoppes which represent a large investment of time. They are still doing fine and fun to run. I would not want to start again saving up to get what I already have on my home ocean.

So this is my plea:

Could we please have some love from GH?

I completely understand that resources are limited, that Obsidian is taking up a lot of time and effort. But, surely, there must be something that can be done to give us a bit of love and make our side of the game a little bit more enjoyable?

How about re-issuing some of the old LE ships?

Or opening an island?

I don't want to be a grouch, but in the last year, we have had no new content, just modifications which have made the game partly harder. For example, Kraken Hunting, my favourite part of the game, is really quite hard work and the rewards have been nerfed to such an extent that I can't remember the last time I even saw somebody win a Krakling. Part of the fun of this social game is seeing one's mates get a nice bit of luck. Constant disappointment can be a bit draining.

If anybody has any ideas to pass on to GH, something which they could do easily and quickly, to keep us happy, please do post here.
----------------------------------------
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Dec 25, 2017 4:11:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Spreading the love... Reply to this Post

If Gray Haven really wants to see Puzzle Pirates live they will stop splitting their player base that is two small already. The are committing business suicide by allowing two products that are the same to compete with each other.

Pick an ocean kill the others off and let the game work. It isn't any fun with out players. When their are kades the oceans with the best kade wins the others go dead. Wait till Obsidian starts having kades and watch Emerald have flag sit wins.

It makes no difference to me which ocean lives which die off but one is all their should be and it would likely see a steady 300 players.

If the business plan is to let the ocean's die off a slow death by not offering new content well that is more harmful then flipping the switch killing the chosen oceans.

No mergers no transfers its just over. It should have been done when they took over the game, create the new ocean and destroy the others.

Just my free professional opinion as a person with a Masters Degree in Business Marketing.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

!!!Bad Social Player!!! Can't keep track of who is who....
[Dec 25, 2017 5:25:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

altheacat wrote: 
Could we please have some love from GH?
Admittedly Dark Seas is getting a lot of the focus while it's in Early Access, but it should see an official release in the coming year. I know it's not super exciting, but we're currently getting the monthly seals and monthly rewards setup for 2018, as well as setting up a new familiar that should hit the oceans soon. We also have the team competition and booch box going on right now, so hopefully it doesn't seem like "nothing" is going on.

altheacat wrote: 
If anybody has any ideas to pass on to GH, something which they could do easily and quickly, to keep us happy, please do post here.
Definitely, we're always open to these types of suggestions!

Filthyjake wrote: 
Pick an ocean kill the others off and let the game work.
I really don't think this would have the intended effect, and it's not something we are planning. Let's try and bring new players into the game as well as bring old players back, rather than forcing the current players into a particular ocean.
[Dec 25, 2017 7:05:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Filthyjake wrote: 
Pick an ocean kill the others off and let the game work.
I really don't think this would have the intended effect, and it's not something we are planning. Let's try and bring new players into the game as well as bring old players back, rather than forcing the current players into a particular ocean.

Thank you.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 26, 2017 4:15:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

There already are way too many open islands for the current population, opening an island isn't a solution, and while re-issuing older LE ships sound nice, it would anger those who have been holding on to their LE ships for the last seven years assuming that they would not be re-issued.

edit: edited out obsidian stuff, wasn't fully awake reading this thread at first and didn't catch that it was meant for the main oceans purely.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by patgangster at Dec 26, 2017 5:00:21 AM]
[Dec 26, 2017 4:54:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

So for a fair amount of time the game had a steady 300 players added the new ocean we saw a spike in players.

Now we see roughly the same 300 players split, granted some are playing multiple oceans yet it seams their is growing number returning to Emerald.

So the new players came and went and the the old players did the same, now we have 2 oceans with 200 players. While the seeing log in issues when there are more then 3-400 people on Obsidian (a few months ago). Any resources being used to keep the dead alive are really a waste its clear they are not coming back based on image 1. The population is now split, and the game is less fun which is likely to further the decline in players.

As someone with money to spend on the game I personally am left asking myself which ocean to spend it on. (Emerald or Obsidan). Neither is doing so well anymore now that the population is split. My reasoning for choosing one is that, until it becomes clear which will be the next Meridian people will hesitate to spend.

Yes it would be sad to see the new ocean shut down or the the old closed for good but it would be even sadder to see the game die off completely.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Dec 26, 2017 7:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

How many of the YPP "active pirates" are unique players? Sure, you might see 160 active on Emerald at one time, but is that 160 players? Doubtful. Wild guess is that it's somewhere between 100 and 130 (maybe up to 140).

Yes, there's a post on how to dual-client on PP:DS, but is it widely used at the moment? Unknown. I would venture a guess that 160 "active pirates" on Obsidian at one time is between 140 and 150 unique players.

With that said, you're making a significant assumption that by pushing YPP to PP:DS (or Meridian/Cerulean/Jade/Opal to Emerald) you're going to see a 100% migration to PP:DS (or Emerald; if only Obsidian and Emerald were to be left standing). I think that's a very poor assumption to make. I'd be surprised if you got (and sustained) a 35% increase in activity on either ocean. Since we get to make WAGs, I'm going to say that I bet you wouldn't see more than a sustained 10-15% bump.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Dec 26, 2017 11:01:19 AM]
[Dec 26, 2017 10:59:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Joaoo99

Forculus wrote: 
I know it's not super exciting, but we're currently getting the monthly seals and monthly rewards setup for 2018, as well as setting up a new familiar that should hit the oceans soon. We also have the team competition and booch box going on right now, so hopefully it doesn't seem like "nothing" is going on.

In my oppinion it's not exciting to have monthly seals. I think that the only positive aspect of the seals is to make the players who collect that kind of trophies do stuff like pillages or Viking Raids/Imperial Outposts/Expos.

Team competitions would be more interesting if we saw the actual score, some numbers. A sentence is just too random for me.

Familiars are always nice and exciting. Not for me ( :P ) but in general they are a decent update. New Fams... not random color changes...

None of those will bring new players/ old players im pretty sure

Forculus wrote: 

Let's try and bring new players into the game as well as bring old players back, rather than forcing the current players into a particular ocean.

As a player who is retired.. One of the things I see that would get some of the old pirates back is New Puzzles / New Adventures. A puzzle is not released since 2012 (correct me if wrong). I know resources are limited, I'm just saying.
Joaoo says, "Teach me rumbling :P"
Rudis says, "you click with mouse pow pow"
Rudis says, "done!"
[Dec 26, 2017 12:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

@Majestrate
My assumptions are based on average of roughly 200 players per ocean being actual 300 people. Not off the numbers from the 26th at 7am game time.

EDIT: As well as the numbers from 2016 pre Obsidian Launch.

I don't know if its even possible to save the game but splitting a small player base certainly isn't going to help grow a game based on playing with others.... Unless they fix things so that the game can be played with less people as others threads have suggested.

I don't think people would leave the game cause there ocean closed but would move. Instead of both oceans have 2-3 things to do there would be 4-6 things on one.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Filthyjake at Dec 26, 2017 1:44:45 PM]
[Dec 26, 2017 1:41:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

First, thank you Forculus for your post, it's always lovely to have this kind of feedback. Now taking the other points:

- Seals are fun, some more than others but they add interest to the game, we all need goals, and the longer one plays, the more those goals are appreciated.

- Booch boxes aren't my bag, I have bought dubs in the past, but more to help the game than to get those kind of rewards. However, I know that other people enjoy them and that's great.

- Filthyjake, you have been conducting a long campaign to try and encourage players to move to the same ocean. Whilst it would be nice to have a larger player base and closing all the oceans bar one might help this, I haven't found a lack of things to do on Emerald. Indeed one could argue that a smaller player base has reduced elitism, which is a great bonus for new players. Several people I know have moved, but many have stayed on Emerald. Good luck on the new ocean, if Emerald closed, I probably would play a bit on Obsidian, but just to relax at the end of the day, puzzling for a short time. It would not be the rich and varied environment full of friends and fun things to do that I, personally, enjoy.

I was really asking for suggestions and yes, new puzzles would be fun, but they need a lot of Dev input and really the game is pretty good at the moment, loving the social aspect etc... I would also add that patching, for example, is too fast for me, age has slowed me down so much and I bet any new puzzle will be speed based.... I disagree that there are too many colonised islands, we have quite a few large islands still uninhabited.

I don't see the problem with re-issuing very old LEs. I would bet that most people who own them no longer play, at least that's what I've found in my crew ships, and we're an old crew.

So let's try and think of easy fun new things ( which of course could also be implemented on Obsidian ). Here's one from me which is not completely thought through but here goes:

How about something we can trade Kraken trinkets for? Flags for our ships? Different coloured sails? A small pet that one can only get with trinkets, like the sea turtles?

Just an idea, let's have yours please
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Dec 26, 2017 4:23:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I don't see the problem with re-issuing very old LEs. I would bet that most people who own them no longer play, at least that's what I've found in my crew ships, and we're an old crew.

They haven't reused ship designs in a long enough time that there's a general assumption they won't, and you'll get an outcry from die-hard collectors that their collections just became devalued. I don't think that's enough to not make it a decent idea, but do expect HWFO if it happens.

Personally, I wouldn't mind them returning in a somewhat controlled, thematic way: have them occasionally pop up (probably as a design) from Haunted Seas. If you can make them spawn from graveyards only, so much the better; give people reason to do something other than backwall.

As for new LE designs, it's been a long time since we had a player-design contest. It might be worth doing another one of those at some point.

So let's try and think of easy fun new things ( which of course could also be implemented on Obsidian ). Here's one from me which is not completely thought through but here goes:

How about something we can trade Kraken trinkets for? Flags for our ships? Different coloured sails? A small pet that one can only get with trinkets, like the sea turtles?

If I'm reading between the lines properly, their arrrtists are tied up in other projects, and don't really have time for this. It might be an alternate thing to have a player design contest for.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Dec 26, 2017 6:15:28 PM]
[Dec 26, 2017 6:13:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daysire

@Majestrate
My assumptions are based on average of roughly 200 players per ocean being actual 300 people. Not off the numbers from the 26th at 7am game time.

EDIT: As well as the numbers from 2016 pre Obsidian Launch.

I don't know if its even possible to save the game but splitting a small player base certainly isn't going to help grow a game based on playing with others.... Unless they fix things so that the game can be played with less people as others threads have suggested.

I don't think people would leave the game cause there ocean closed but would move. Instead of both oceans have 2-3 things to do there would be 4-6 things on one.

I would totally leave this game if obsidian was closed. The account i built, fresher rankings, 1000x better economy, real money I've spent, and more is all on obsidian. And I'm sure emerald players have their own similar reasons for staying there. Closing either of the two oceans is not a smart idea, if u close one then u basically scam everyone who invested time/money into it and they won't just stay and carry on as normal

u can't just close an ocean and screw hundreds of people over, and expect positive change. I somewhat agree that one ocean with more players is more enjoyable than 2 oceans, but at the same time there is no practical way of making it happen positively other than letting one ocean dissolve gradually over time
[Dec 26, 2017 8:58:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I would totally leave this game if obsidian was closed. The account i built, fresher rankings, 1000x better economy, real money I've spent, and more is all on obsidian. And I'm sure emerald players have their own similar reasons for staying there. Closing either of the two oceans is not a smart idea, if u close one then u basically scam everyone who invested time/money into it and they won't just stay and carry on as normal

u can't just close an ocean and screw hundreds of people over, and expect positive change. I somewhat agree that one ocean with more players is more enjoyable than 2 oceans, but at the same time there is no practical way of making it happen positively other than letting one ocean dissolve gradually over time

So in the end when there are 12 players on each ocean you think that would be best for the game in the long run? Look at Meridian many came to Emerald, then to Obsidian. If they close all the oceans no one is scammed, the same is true if they stopped wasting resources on dead oceans and/or focused on one/or closed all but one(sadly I don't think they will do this). The reason the slow death is worse is shown in the numbers. Obsidian was popping with 500 players daily.... then well now there are less then 1/2 that most days and the charts show. I guess I think people actually like the game more then the name of the ocean they play on I could play on any one of them and be happy. The reason Obsidian is the smarter choice is they have fixed some original flaws/mistakes that exist on Emerald. Such as size of the ocean, the ability to move dubs from one to the other ocean. Some say poker as well, they killed the SMH badge freeing up the free to play game too. I wasn't around for the original oceans but oddly there are people who are meaning they will adapt, yes some will leave but I think the game is good enough to bring them back even if they are originally upset.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Dec 26, 2017 9:26:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Also the idea that you've been ripped off, stolen from, abused or otherwise misused by having an ocean into which you paid money get closed is easily the most damaging and disruptive narrative to the actual survival of this game.

You didn't invest. You didn't make a deposit to which you have a legal right. You chose to pay for pixels. This game could have EASILY just shut down forever when Sega dropped Three Rings. Do you think you would be owed repayment for your investment in the game economy? If you genuinely think you should, that is a problem you really need to address.

Does it really suck if you put a bunch of time and money into a server that got shut down when other servers are still open? Absolutely. Might it even make a solid percentage of people whose home server was the closed one leave and never come back? Absolutely. Should they do it anyway? Absolutely.

Grey Havens is hanging over a cliff holding Obsidian in one hand, and Emerald in the other. All respect to GH for trying to hold on, but they're sliding towards the cliff themselves, because the weight is too much. They need both hands on one server to pull it back up to safety.

Activity begets activity and Inactivity begets Inactivity. It is absolutely worth it from a "survival of the company" standpoint to take 200 and 200, and combine it to 300 even if it costs 100 players. I'd argue in the long run, it's better to take 200 and 200 and combine them to 201 and lose 199 people, because that 201st person on one server might be the one who makes it so a brand new player has something to do and decide to stick around.
[Dec 26, 2017 9:45:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

This is about spreading some love over Emerald, not about whether there should be one or two oceans. That battle was/is being fought in other threads.

This time, the question is:

How can GH spread some love in the older oceans?

Suggestions here please, Brexit type arguments somewhere else.

Thank you.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Dec 27, 2017 12:58:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Joaoo99

Would it be a bad idea to insert some kind of puzzle in the old oceans and a new adventure in the new ocean?

That way people from Obsidian would go to Emerald and play the new puzzle. And people from Emerald would go try the new adventure. Just to give everyone some hype. And maybe bring some of the old players back. Even if they just want to try.. this game is like a drug.

Plus adding some new furniture/clothes/monthly ships

Just keep the general shoppe/stall owners busy gathering the resources. Let me know your oppinion
Joaoo says, "Teach me rumbling :P"
Rudis says, "you click with mouse pow pow"
Rudis says, "done!"
[Dec 27, 2017 4:58:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daysire

So in the end when there are 12 players on each ocean you think that would be best for the game in the long run? Look at Meridian many came to Emerald, then to Obsidian. If they close all the oceans no one is scammed, the same is true if they stopped wasting resources on dead oceans and/or focused on one/or closed all but one(sadly I don't think they will do this). The reason the slow death is worse is shown in the numbers. Obsidian was popping with 500 players daily.... then well now there are less then 1/2 that most days and the charts show. I guess I think people actually like the game more then the name of the ocean they play on I could play on any one of them and be happy. The reason Obsidian is the smarter choice is they have fixed some original flaws/mistakes that exist on Emerald. Such as size of the ocean, the ability to move dubs from one to the other ocean. Some say poker as well, they killed the SMH badge freeing up the free to play game too. I wasn't around for the original oceans but oddly there are people who are meaning they will adapt, yes some will leave but I think the game is good enough to bring them back even if they are originally upset.

There will never be 12 players on each ocean because long before the game is that dead one of the two oceans would've swallowed the players from the other anyway, like with emerald and meridian. A game with no real updates, like this one, will die in time anyways. There is really no saving it long term so we're just talking about what kills the game less quickly. I guess we simply disagree with opposite opinions about the effects of killing one ocean or not.
[Dec 27, 2017 5:51:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

This is about spreading some love over Emerald, not about whether there should be one or two oceans. That battle was/is being fought in other threads.

Thank you.

Sometimes its sad but amputation is required to save a life. What update would they put on Emerald that they wouldn't also be business smart enough to add to the "updated" version of the classic game?

Yes a new gunning puzzle would be amazing add it to.... all oceans
Yes a new version of SMH would be great add it to.... all oceans
Love will be spread everywhere or nowhere, it wouldn't make sense unless its a new idea that needs testing then it should by all rights go to ICE, unless Emerald becomes the new test ocean, but then why not Meridian.

Players of Emerald now are seeing how the Meridian's felt. I hope those who love having many oceans go and play on Emerald and then buy dubs to spend on Meridian so we can keep that dead fish around too. xD

There will never be 12 players on each ocean because long before the game is that dead one of the two oceans would've swallowed the players from the other anyway, like with emerald and meridian. A game with no real updates, like this one, will die in time anyways. There is really no saving it long term so we're just talking about what kills the game less quickly. I guess we simply disagree with opposite opinions about the effects of killing one ocean or not.

Well they are keeping a few around that average 12 players. The game is trying to have updates but they are hearing cry's of what about us from the players on the classic oceans, Meridian's want the merge, Emeraldonian's want new stuff, soon dubs will be to high, Cerilian's want more advertising and people drooped on their ocean.... some times life is hard and one must make tough decisions clearly trying to support all of it isn't likely to work or a good business decision with limited resources, who knows maybe the those in charge are sentimentally attached to the old oceans (not sure if the staff changed).

Meridian has died to inflation, Emerald's population has shown a steady decline.... The new ocean shows a spike of life and log in issues arose do to sever load, and now were seeing a decline in numbers their too.

Its not about how can we love everyone its about survival.

Reissuing LE ships makes them less special and hurts their value, its a collectors item. Reissuing makes that player that hung out for the life of the game buying every LE ships collection less special and valuable.

How about something we can trade Kraken trinkets for?

Tattoo's just like viking trinkets get pelts.

Flags for our ships? Different coloured sails? A small pet that one can only get with trinkets, like the sea turtles?

I like the Flag's they could also be place in yards or flag halls I think that would be a great addition. Mini pets and Fam's would be great!
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

[Dec 27, 2017 6:24:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ghostbeardz1

To honor the spirit of Noushka/Altheacat’s posts, & to help contribute to the inspiring constructive forum brainstorming you all have been building, here are a couple of little ideas which could have potential in the futures ahead, for either of our wonderful oceans.

1.) A Doubloonable Method for Purchasing 8-Day Kraken Hunt Maps
Many discussions & forecasts of what future player activity could look like in the future raise the possibility that there could be occasional quiet hours or quiet days for many of our beloved oceans in the future ahead. One Gameplay effect which emerges more noticeably on quieter days is a bottleneck in the KH map secondary market. Days where KH pirates, excited to enjoy a relaxing Kraken Adventure after work get their poe ready to buy a quick KH map for their week ahead & find a quiet trade channel or find there are no maps up for market during the hour they logged on. In recent years, KHs have also become a treasured pastime for many of our fellow pirates & friends, a true highlight of some of the finest community gameplay which brings many wonderful players & friends to our ocean. Because KHs hold such a dear place in the hearts of so much of our active player base, having a easy, quick, accessible of doublooning up a Fresh KH Map could have some quite useful positives heading into the future ahead, whether for quiet days or party days or rainy days or sunny days.

2.) Pink Kraklings, Woo Hoo!
Or Mint Kraklings! or Persimmon Kraklings! Or Red or White or Black or Orange! There are so many beloved colors in our pirate fashion spectrum & we also all know from plenty of pirate stories how many pirates frequently enjoy trying to find each Krakling color to add to their collections. Frequently a lot of people write here calling for new content to compete for. The wonderful thing about Pink & Persimmon Kraklings is the opportunity to bring beloved existing content & add some beloved flavors, to help provide new exciting collectibles we can all compete with our friends to haul out of the krakeny waters. There are some very fashionable pirate colors out there, & I have no doubt there are some very handsome kraklings sleeping out there in unopened eggs which we all would be thrilled to meet.

Well those are my two little pirate ideas for adding to the mix of all the inspiring forum brainstorming you all have been beginning here. A genuine thank you to Grey Havens for all the wonderful work you all do every month keeping our oceans going. Best of wishes to everyone with the Dark Seas Official Release coming up & Fair Winds to everyone on all of our beloved oceans out there.

Sincerely,
Ghostbeards
Ghostbeards of Emerald
Senior Officer of The Royal United Navy
[Dec 27, 2017 2:06:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daysire

Thank you.

Sometimes its sad but amputation is required to save a life. What update would they put on Emerald that they wouldn't also be business smart enough to add to the "updated" version of the classic game?

Yes a new gunning puzzle would be amazing add it to.... all oceans
Yes a new version of SMH would be great add it to.... all oceans
Love will be spread everywhere or nowhere, it wouldn't make sense unless its a new idea that needs testing then it should by all rights go to ICE, unless Emerald becomes the new test ocean, but then why not Meridian.

Players of Emerald now are seeing how the Meridian's felt. I hope those who love having many oceans go and play on Emerald and then buy dubs to spend on Meridian so we can keep that dead fish around too. xD

Well they are keeping a few around that average 12 players. The game is trying to have updates but they are hearing cry's of what about us from the players on the classic oceans, Meridian's want the merge, Emeraldonian's want new stuff, soon dubs will be to high, Cerilian's want more advertising and people drooped on their ocean.... some times life is hard and one must make tough decisions clearly trying to support all of it isn't likely to work or a good business decision with limited resources, who knows maybe the those in charge are sentimentally attached to the old oceans (not sure if the staff changed).

Meridian has died to inflation, Emerald's population has shown a steady decline.... The new ocean shows a spike of life and log in issues arose do to sever load, and now were seeing a decline in numbers their too.

Its not about how can we love everyone its about survival.

Reissuing LE ships makes them less special and hurts their value, its a collectors item. Reissuing makes that player that hung out for the life of the game buying every LE ships collection less special and valuable.

How about something we can trade Kraken trinkets for?

Tattoo's just like viking trinkets get pelts.

Flags for our ships? Different coloured sails? A small pet that one can only get with trinkets, like the sea turtles?

I like the Flag's they could also be place in yards or flag halls I think that would be a great addition. Mini pets and Fam's would be great!

peoples general complaints is nothing to do with deciding to close an ocean or not. Look at how runescape did since 2013 when they split the game in two. At that time it had 30k and 20k players by the end of 2013, as opposed to the 80-100k before that. Now it has 104k 70k and players on each game and for the last decade people have been saying it's a dying, outdated game. The problem it had when its playercount plummeted is exactly the same as ypp has; no updates.
[Dec 27, 2017 2:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

Last night, when I checked the numbers, there were actually 10 MORE players on Emerald than on Obsidian. So Emerald is not in any way dying. (Although "this game is dying" has been a popular refrain since day 1).

I agree with the new colours for kraklings mentioned above.

Also, how about all those craft puzzles that were "in progress" but never released? For example, for the furniture and tailor stalls. Are any of these puzzles close to completion? Maybe there is just a little bit of work required to release them?

Personally, I am a crafter, I went to Obsidian, got all my stats up, then went back to Emerald where all my hearties still hang out.

And, I like tournies. Emerald still seems to have more player created tournies and more people joining automatic tournies than Obsidian. The auto tournies on Obsidian often die due to lack of entrants. (I keep an eye on both oceans).

How about some new clothes at the cheaper end of the spectrum? Not the LE or expensive ones, just some new basic styles. We have been wearing the same old things for years.

We all have different needs and wants. Don't force us all into one solution or you will just have more people leaving.
Zapa of Emerald
[Dec 27, 2017 5:01:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

Daysire: EXACTLY! No new content makes people leave.

( To be fair to GH, they have added MASSIVE new content... a whole ocean! But this requires a big sacrifice from the people who move there.)

Gurndigan, yes, great idea, if GH could make a competition for player-designers, new ship, new something, that would be fun.

Ghostbeard: love the idea of new colours for kraklings, though I would point out that I truly haven't seen anybody win one for over a year, so, mmmm, yes but it's going to be a very rare creature! I completely agree with you, kraken hunting is bliss for an hour or so after work, the 30 minute formula is a stroke of pure genius.

Trinkets: yes, one can get a tattoo, it lasts ages, costs a fair bit because of dubs, and you rarely see one these days. If anybody wants designs, I have lots. But maybe you could exchange a pile of trinkets for a potion to recolour your shoulder friends?

I still think that re-issuing very old LEs would be great, I keep an eye on all my crew's ships (which is a bit like those ancient Greek punishments ), there are hundreds, the really old LEs belong to long time dormant members.

Opening an island would revitalise that corner of the ocean, would give fun to those who want an island, or love setting up new trading posts, and, as far as I can see, would make very little work for the overstretched staff at GH HQ.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Dec 27, 2017 11:25:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cedie007

As an old YPP player who does not play anymore, below are my suggestions which you guys may or may not like.

1. ADVERTISE THE GAME!. Well, this part may be a pain for GH since they are a small company. But there are lots of "free" advertisements they could do. Social media is one of them. But the admin needs to be very active. They can have an audition for admins and make a player an admin. Their name color would be different in-game or they could have cool non-degrading uniform in-game as a reward. I remember when I was a kid, I saw puzzle pirates in an advertisement. I tried it and loved it. I think most kids nowadays do not know puzzle pirates because they are not informed about this game. If the 90's kids loved ypp, then I'm pretty sure there are other kid's who will definitely love the game too.

2. MAKE PILLAGE DOABLE ALONE. Its very frustrating logging in ypp and can't do even the basic and vital part of the game which is pillaging. Increase the skill of bots or increase the bots per boat. This will make the pillage independent of the number of people online. But you would say, "ohh, it will cause inflation because all people will have lots of money! you d*mb a**!", hell no!!! because this time, bots will take part of their shares too and it will be directly sent to poe sink. Department of labour would be very pleased hearing this. We can also do this with Monster hunting. Bots will take shares too. (by the way, bots can only be hired on even/shared type of runs)

3. HAVE A NAVY BLOCKADE. When an Island is being occupied by a player flag too long, this is where navy comes in. Make navies more powerful than that of brigand king. This is somewhat like a challenge game/event. Once pirates failed to defend the island, the island will be unoccupied(no flag occupies it) and only the small/low level flags can try to take it. Haters will say "Ohhh, rich people will just create a new flag and make alts and take again the island, you d*mb a**!", hell no!! the goal of this was not to just to prevent a single flag from owning an island but to also have a constant war/blockade which is good for the pirates. If a big flag efforts to create another small flag and transfer's ships, buy badges and all, then they deserve to own it also since they are putting effort owning the island. Let people play. The main goal is to have constant blockades/pvp, period.

4. MAKE INVITE-A-FRIEND EVENTS AND OLD-PIRATE-COMEBACK EVENTS. The suggestion is simple enough. I think you guys get the point.

5. IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE GAME. I do not know if its just me, but I tried playing ypp last time and it was lagging so bad that I quit again for the 4th time. I could play new game just fine but a very old game keeps lagging on me is a bad sign(sign of a dying game).

I will play again ypp surely if we have the above. The game itself is good already and I could not think of another contents to be added. Just improve the existing content to make it perfect again or suitable for the current situation.

- Love from an old pirate
Demorga of Sage Emerald
[Jun 28, 2018 4:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trippleos

Good Post, the swabbie thing is actively being debated in another post, though I strongly doubt anything could come off it. I'm not sure how I feel about the Navy Blockade as it would just be the same as a Brigand King Blockade.

4. MAKE INVITE-A-FRIEND EVENTS AND OLD-PIRATE-COMEBACK EVENTS. The suggestion is simple enough. I think you guys get the point.

This part would require little effort and can be pretty effective to bringing back players. Dare I say GH even goes as far as opening up appeals for banned players who's cases have been closed to be able to plead their case. Restoring their old accounts might not be a good idea as most of them probably gained stats/items through nefarious ways, but allowing them to appeal and create new accounts (even if its just once chance) without the fear of the inevitable ban for ban evasion, could bring back a horde of players
[Jun 28, 2018 5:02:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates