• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1886 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Littylee

Choosing a Ship Help! Reply to this Post

Hello! I have just started playing again after quite a long time, with the new Obsidian Ocean and all and I was hoping I might get some advice on which types of ships to try to obtain.

My plan is that I would like to try to acquire a ship of smaller size and then or more moderately sized one eventually. Either a dhow or a fanchuan and then either a baghlah or a junk.

I would be very thankful if anyone could advise me on which of those ships in those two sizes might be preferable. Or even just an explanation of how they would be different when being used. I know all the numerical differences and things but I am not good at trying to work out what types of impact those things would have once in the game.

Ideally I would like to get two that match each other in aesthetic if it is not the case that one of the smaller ships is clearly better and the same is true of the larger one that does not match.

I am not a great battle-navigator so it is likely that I will mostly want the ships for pillages, mostly the smaller one. But I would like a larger ship as well in case I get the chance to partake in something fancy like a monster or blockade!

Thank you all very much for your time!
[Dec 23, 2017 8:20:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Choosing a Ship Help! Reply to this Post

My biggest recommendation: Buy a sloop. It's the smallest boat and the easiest to run. Learn / get used to your stuff again on that.

Outside of that, the main boat that sees use for pillages is the Baghlah - which, if you remember pillaging in the older days, is similar to a war brig that requires less people (and has a bit less hull size).

If you do want to match aesthetics, the sloop doesn't really fit here; a dhow or fanchuan can also work, but they're not typically used too often. Which of the two you'd want is probably personal preference (4moves/medium on the dhow, 3moves/large on the fanch).

I would not recommend the Junk for pillaging. It has only 20% hull size over the baghlah but loses out on a lot firepower (double meds on the baghlah, single large on the dhow)
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Dec 24, 2017 4:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Littylee

Thank you so much for all of your advice!

I do have access to a sloop already thankfully, I do intend to purchase one of my own eventually but I would like to try for a slightly larger ship first.

I am glad to hear that with the smaller two it is more a matter of preference.
I think I prefer the fanchuan more myself for both appearance and stats but not so much more that I think I would get the dhow if the baghala is clearly the better larger ship.

It is a pity about the junk, it is probably my favourite ship by appearance so I had quite been hoping it would have been comparable. Is it outclassed by the baghlah for things other than pillages as well?
[Dec 24, 2017 5:00:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I think I prefer the fanchuan more myself for both appearance and stats but not so much more that I think I would get the dhow if the baghala is clearly the better larger ship.

If you have novice sailors, fanchuans will show their weakness in the number of moves you get. And, though I haven't done a specific study of this, if you have bot gunners, you get cannons filled at a slower rate than dhows. Obviously, if you have an experienced crew (even mid-level, they don't have to be elite), the slower moves will be less crippling and guns, obviously, will be the same for either ship if you have a human gunner.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 24, 2017 5:55:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

It is a pity about the junk, it is probably my favourite ship by appearance so I had quite been hoping it would have been comparable. Is it outclassed by the baghlah for things other than pillages as well?

Mostly yes. The baghlah is just so much better at dealing damage. Only when this is either irrelevant or barely relevant does the junk shine. The junk sometimes sees use for citadel runs, though most people prefer bigger ships for that (xebec typically, sometimes war brigs) (and if you were to do a graveyard run on a HS even though those runs are awful in general, a junk would beat a baghlah there too)
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Dec 24, 2017 6:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Littylee

I see! I think I might try to get a dhow and a baghalah first then! Thank you both so very much!

Now I just need to find the money for them, I used to play on a subscription Ocean so I forgot the doubloon cost...

Still I feel much better with a goal to work towards at least! ^.^
[Dec 24, 2017 11:20:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altheacat

hi Litty,

I don't know which ocean you play on, but have you thought of joining a crew of respectable size with a good number of ships? Then you would have a selection of ships to try, and crewbies who would come with you, help you pillage and even teach you the basics of pillaging? That might be a good way to get experience and have fun too.
Noushka still of Sage

SO of Privateers
Lady of the Black Flag
[Dec 25, 2017 3:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates