Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2589 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Filthyjake

Does your crew match the average PVP's? Reply to this Post

People keep calling Obsidain the PVP ocean, even though all oceans have PVP. I don't see the big fear, or understand the title other then they are sinky if its from opposing factions. I admit I wasn't thrilled at the idea of pvp. Is there someway someone smarter then me can pull the data from the crews so we can get numbers to see roughly the percentage of battles are actually PVP on the so called PVP server? Here is the top 3 crews data.

Top 3 crews data as on 11/9

Number 1 CREW
763 battles 32 were PVP 4%

Number 2 Crew
455 battles 19 were PVP 4%

Number 3 Crew
169 Battles 7 Were PVP 4%

So 1 in 25 battles is likely to be PVP ending in a win/loss not sure how they count sinking or disengages Think they need to be added to the battle nav stats.

While higher then Emerald which only had 1 pvp in the top 3 crews I don't know that its fair to call the sever a PVP server.
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Nov 9, 2017 4:35:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: Does your crew match the average PVP's? Reply to this Post

I feel like you'll see the rate of pvp fights increasing a lot once there are islands owned by factions, and going after opposing faction ships generally can make it harder for them to carry out a blockade later on. Right now there's no express purpose to pvp besides feeling like it. It will feel more mechanically relevent once there are more obvious mechanical perks for doing it.

I also think it's telling that the server they intended to be pvp-centric doesn't yet appear to be very pvp centric, as it implies that most people didn't actually WANT a pvp-centric server, and that the fresh start was the more appealing feature.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Devonin at Nov 9, 2017 5:09:23 PM]
[Nov 9, 2017 5:09:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I feel like you'll see the rate of pvp fights increasing a lot once there are islands owned by factions,

Why? The same applys on the older oceans and the flags are at war and as I said only one PVP in the top 3 crews. I don't think there is much reason for people to pvp its just not worth it for the attacker or defender.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Nov 9, 2017 7:00:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I feel like you'll see the rate of pvp fights increasing a lot once there are islands owned by factions,

Why? The same applys on the older oceans and the flags are at war and as I said only one PVP in the top 3 crews.

Yeah, if anything I expect that more islands will mean less PvP since players will be spread out more.

I don't think there is much reason for people to pvp its just not worth it for the attacker or defender.

1v1 PvP bnav is very very rarely profitable for the defender.
1v1 PvP bnav can be profitable for the attacker if they carefully prepare, but even then, it is more profitable to just PvE
1v1 PvP bnav is rarely that fun, it just isn't that good of a puzzle.

PvE bnav can be fun
blockades can be fun
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 10, 2017 1:41:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Why? The same applys on the older oceans and the flags are at war and as I said only one PVP in the top 3 crews. I don't think there is much reason for people to pvp its just not worth it for the attacker or defender.

Yes but aren't they giving governors a whole bunch more power of what is on their island, making actually holding an island for a long time a lot more important? Wouldn't it potentially stand to reason then, that once a flag controls an island, the other faction might go after that flag's ships on purpose to try and hamper their ability to defend in a future blockade more than they do on old oceans?
[Nov 10, 2017 8:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Wouldn't it potentially stand to reason then, that once a flag controls an island, the other faction might go after that flag's ships on purpose to try and hamper their ability to defend in a future blockade more than they do on old oceans?

What? No.

First, blockades are rarely ship limited. Going after ships isn't going to hurt much.

Second, swabbie transported ships can't be PvP'ed. All of the blockade ships are either going to be made one the island, or swabbied to it.

There really isn't any extra reason to PvP an island owning flag's ships.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 10, 2017 8:40:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dangerdann

None of these screen grabs include 'sinks' - I speak for 'The Southsea Bandits' who aim for sinks rather than grapples, so therefore these PvP stats probably only account for 1/4 of battles, at most.

If we're calling this a PvP ocean, I would love for them to add a 'sinks' column, or something similar. Apologies, I know that this has been spoken about before on separate threads so sorry for repeating.
Dangerdann on Cerulean/Emerald
Blighty on Obsidian

Elitist1 wrote: 
And on the stage steps yet another puppet ../ cues Dann sing it !

[Nov 21, 2017 4:52:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]