• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1393 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
SeaDogPete

Parlez-vous purlieu? Reply to this Post

Hello!!

Having recently grappled Prolix Purlieu away from Finius's fishy fingers - it has sparked a little bit of the OCD in me. Most islands have a theme running with the buildings, and Prolix has historically had a French theme.

Sooo.. the current names of the bazaars just don't sit right (apologies to those that originally named them!). Having recently placed the Trading Post - Petite Boutique D'Horreurs on the island, I was just going to go ahead and rename the bazaars myself. However, we thought it might be more fun to open it up to the ocean to make suggestions! To add a little incentive to the event - I will give a Defiant Class Sloop to each winner and we will credit each winner with a glorious mention in the news for each bazaar.

There are three to rename and they are currently:

Ironworking Bazaar - Wroughtin' Luck

Shipbuilding Bazaar - No Friggin Way

Distillery Bazaar - Sails Down, Bottoms Up

They are good, but not in any way French themed.

So get your thinking caps on and come up with some suggestions!

Rules:
1) All entries must be posted on this thread (it gets real confusing otherwise)

2) Please state which bazaar your chosen name is for. You can opt to give names for one, two or all three bazaars (Please see 3)

3) Only two entries per person allowed. i.e two posts listing a maximum of one rename per bazaar (again confusing, and bombarding this thread with a gazillion random googled entries will make this silly). 3rd, 4th, etc posts from the same person will be disregarded.

4) Governor Palefire will be judging the entries. He has assured me that he will remain absolutely impartial - so no preference will be given to hearties, allies, etc etc - this is an oceanwide event and will be based purely on what he considers to be the best names. Preference will be given however to names that are French themed, piratey, linked to the bazaar in question - or all three!

5) Prizes only available to Cerulean pirates and on the Cerulean ocean.

6) Closing date - 23:59 pirate time, 30th November 2017.

7) Winners will be announced here, at the latest by the 6th December 2017.

Disclaimer: Clearly should we lose the island in the meantime - this will make the competition null and void - but I am happy to discuss this with any new prospective governor in the hope they would keep this running.
----------------------------------------
~ Seadogpete ~

Captain of Red Alert
King of Kismet

On several oceans..but mainly Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SeaDogPete at Nov 8, 2017 3:57:21 PM]
[Nov 7, 2017 6:07:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Re: Parlez-vous purlieu? Reply to this Post

Greyladyy of Cerulean

Shipbuilding bazaar - French Fried Frigs
Distillery bazaar - Champagne Bubbles
Ironworking bazaar - Pepe le Pew-Pew
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Nov 7, 2017 12:24:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

Herowena of Cerulean

Ironworking Bazaar: Fer Is Fair

Shipbuilding Bazaar: Bon Voyage

Distillery Bazaar: Magnum Opus
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Nov 8, 2017 1:00:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Calamarie of Cerulean Ocean

Ironworking Bazaar: Boulet de Canon

Shipbuilding Bazaar: La Royale

Distillery Bazaar: Damoiseau Rhum
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Nov 8, 2017 2:19:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NoHair

Gonefishin on Cerulean

Ironworking Bazaar: Jeu d'épée (Sword Play)

Shipbuilding Bazaar: Navire à Terre (Ship to Shore)

Distillery Bazaar: Fûts Entiers (Full Keg)
[Nov 11, 2017 6:04:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaDogPete

Hello again!

Apologies for the lack of announcements regarding winning entries for this, we have hit a slight snag.. in fact a big snag!

Palefire has chosen the names from the entries, all of which were great btw!!

However - despite me running this event past OMs prior to setting it up, it would seem a different OM has the responsibility over renames of buildings, etc. Palefire is being told that renames in a foreign language are not permitted.. He has tried several of the entries, and even "Bon Voyage" which is a phrase widely used outside of the French speaking community has been rejected.

Now while I find this quite petty, and this has been posted for almost a month and nobody has intervened until now. I am going to have to take some reponsibility for not checking this rule (which I just found):

All words must be real, English words as defined by dictionary.com.

I would of course argue that for example the words Bon and Voyage are in fact also English words as per that ruling? What also makes this even more irritating, is that this rule only applies to renames. We were able to name the Trading Post in French as it was it's first, original name. Sooo... thats the current situation. Pale is still corresponding with the OMs.

As a last resort - rather than completely pull the plug on this - we may have to reset the competition with it being French themed names, but only using English words/phrases *sigh*. I or Palefire will update this as soon as possible :)

** Edit - I see Champagne Bubbles has made it past the OMS, so congrats Greylady. Palefire has the shippies, etc - so if he hasn't already been in touch he will be soon :) Apologies for slight confusion - me and Pale are opposite sides of the globe and haven't had a chance to fully discuss this, so wasn't aware one of the renames had gotten through till now! I'll let him make the next post!! **
~ Seadogpete ~

Captain of Red Alert
King of Kismet

On several oceans..but mainly Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SeaDogPete at Dec 5, 2017 4:30:06 AM]
[Dec 5, 2017 4:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daggerstg

Ahoy Cerulean,

Thank you to those who participated in your competition. Seadogpete has already stated in his previous post that we had some limitations in selecting winners but in the end we have renamed all three. All of the entries were clever and I had a hard time selecting winners, the rules of building renaming made this somewhat easier. To collect your ship please send me a tell in game, I am usually on between noon and 11pm and Midnight to 4 am pirate time.

Shipbuilding Bazaar- French Fried Frigs. (Greyladyy)

Distillery Bazaar- Champagne Bubbles (Greyladyy)

Ironworking Bazaar- Fer is Fair (Herowena)
Palefire

Captain of Fiery Embers
Prince of Don't Tread On Me
Governor of Prolix Purlieu
[Dec 5, 2017 10:20:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

I'm happy you were able to sort things, at last. Thank you very much for the event!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Dec 5, 2017 12:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Oh! Just got back from a short road trip and found this! Thanks so much for choosing 2 of mine. :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Dec 6, 2017 11:52:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates