• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 55
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16084 times and has 54 replies Next Thread
GreatBob

Re: Obsidian Blockade Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Penguinpaste wrote: 
is the building limit and the island likely turning into a fight over 2 dark shipyards an outcome GH are happy with?

The medium island of Olive on Cobalt long had two shipyard shops (and no bazaar!), and it didn't cause a problem. The same goes for Prolix on Cobalt, although it had a bazaar along with 2 shops.

I could see these islands even having 3 shipyard shops on them, with the palace selling pillage supplies.

Is there a problem that I'm not seeing?

Olive ended up that way due to the release of housing happening after it was fully built. I don't see an issue with a medium having two SY shoppes, I see a potential issue with a stalemate due to the changes implemented on Obsidian. Once the island is full, which will happen by the end of the second week, it will take four consecutive weeks of keeping the island out of the hands of anyone who would restore the shoppes, before new ones can be built. During this time however the owners will not be able to use them.

Is this situation one that GH is happy for the players to work out themselves, or are there further changes planned that will come in before the initial openings?
----------------------------------------
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Nov 7, 2017 11:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Onelegstan

Penguinpaste wrote: 
is the building limit and the island likely turning into a fight over 2 dark shipyards an outcome GH are happy with?

The medium island of Olive on Cobalt long had two shipyard shops (and no bazaar!), and it didn't cause a problem. The same goes for Prolix on Cobalt, although it had a bazaar along with 2 shops.

I could see these islands even having 3 shipyard shops on them, with the palace selling pillage supplies.

Is there a problem that I'm not seeing?

Olive ended up that way due to the release of housing happening after it was fully built. I don't see an issue with a medium having two SY shoppes, I see a potential issue with a stalemate due to the changes implemented on Obsidian. Once the island is full, which will happen by the end of the second week, it will take four consecutive weeks of keeping the island out of the hands of anyone who would restore the shoppes, before new ones can be built. During this time however the owners will not be able to use them.

Is this situation one that GH is happy for the players to work out themselves, or are there further changes planned that will come in before the initial openings?

Because of the limit of shops, only SYs will be built on the first few islands, but this will mean the palace has free rain to buy/sell every other good on the island. This will also be the case for large islands more than likely.
Martyhur on Emerald
Marty on Obsidian
[Nov 8, 2017 3:54:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I see a potential issue with a stalemate due to the changes implemented on Obsidian. Once the island is full, which will happen by the end of the second week, it will take four consecutive weeks of keeping the island out of the hands of anyone who would restore the shoppes, before new ones can be built. During this time however the owners will not be able to use them.

there are a huge number of problems with YPP's economy. I don't think GH's recent changes to shops have really helped, they are a net negative, but it won't, in itself, kill the game. *IF* GH does a reasonable job of running their three SY shops, what happens on the player run islands will matter even less.

Personally, I would make shop deeds on medium islands transfer like outposts.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 8, 2017 9:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Why that would be 5 shops? Wouldn't the winning flag want to be able to sell the shops? They would have no value if they were only guaranteed to have them for a week.
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
Subscribe for $49.95 a year
You can play free, with limited access. (just like no dubs)
[Nov 8, 2017 1:10:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Wouldn't the winning flag want to be able to sell the shops? They would have no value if they were only guaranteed to have them for a week.

You just answered your own question. Shops on Obsidian have no value to general players because they can go dark in a week. They are only valuable to flags who own and can defend the island. So, the shops should transfer when the island changes hands.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 8, 2017 1:15:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Wouldn't the winning flag want to be able to sell the shops? They would have no value if they were only guaranteed to have them for a week.

You just answered your own question. Shops on Obsidian have no value to general players because they can go dark in a week. They are only valuable to flags who own and can defend the island. So, the shops should transfer when the island changes hands.

I think they have some value as you can block others from building as it takes 30 days to dust. They also can be used as storage while dark. It would also encourage shop keepers to get into the politics and find a friendly flag to kade the island and turn the lights back on. I think its going to be an interesting mess and am looking forward to watching it unwrap.
[Nov 8, 2017 3:25:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tejb5

can someone give me a list of the active flags? Every time i log on someone is butthurt and there's one less flag and three new ones.
-Shigby
Royal in MKA
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tejb5 at Nov 8, 2017 3:39:45 PM]
[Nov 8, 2017 3:30:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sulevaie

Every time i log on someone is butthurt and there's one less flag and three new ones.

He's not wrong, folks.
Twiggy on Obsidian and Meridian
Vulpine on Meridian
Suleviae on Obsidian and Emerald
[Nov 10, 2017 7:55:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aligate

Will there be any way to tell the difference between light side and dark side ships on the board? If nothing has changed then all non-allied contending flags would appear with red ships on the board regardless of their faction.
Aristoza
Amateur Owl
Fourteen flag royalty chats, "just tell them to suck 14s nuts"

Avatar by the lovely and talented Cattrin
[Nov 10, 2017 11:45:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Will there be any way to tell the difference between light side and dark side ships on the board? If nothing has changed then all non-allied contending flags would appear with red ships on the board regardless of their faction.

Pretty sure you just explained it in your post. Alliances are a thing. If the faction can't figure out how to decide which flag is going to lead the event blockade and get everyone who's entering allied up, they probably deserve to lose.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Nov 10, 2017 7:52:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Pretty sure you just explained it in your post. Alliances are a thing. If the faction can't figure out how to decide which flag is going to lead the event blockade and get everyone who's entering allied up, they probably deserve to lose.

It really is a poor show when in any kade with multiple attackers when they show up as the same color. Even just watching the flags are all red or someone goes down its not all that easy to determine which side sunk. I wouldn't think its that hard to fix/create multiple colors,

Defender Green
Attacker 1 Red
Attacker 2 Yellow
Attacker 3 Blue
Attacker 4 Green
Attacker 5 Orange
and so on....

It would make those of us who watch the kades enjoy it much more and it is a fairly big draw to the game that normally spikes logins.
[Nov 10, 2017 8:38:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Just a note that this is Parley, not Game Design. If you have suggestions for game mechanic changes, you'll want to post them in that forum if you want the developers to see it.

This is where you'd discuss things like the political impact on the ocean, the way flags might organize, which flags are doing what, possible scenarios with different flag actions, etc etc.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Nov 14, 2017 9:08:10 AM]
[Nov 14, 2017 8:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

Maybe I'm missing something but...

The first event blockade is meant to be tomorrow and it's not scheduled on the noticeboard nor do we have a time that it's going on?
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[Nov 16, 2017 11:51:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Luxory wrote: 
Maybe I'm missing something but...

The first event blockade is meant to be tomorrow and it's not scheduled on the noticeboard nor do we have a time that it's going on?

Copy and pasted from the announcement:

11/18/2017 - Event
Type: Non Sinking
Time: Noon game time.
Rounds: 2 out of 3

Prizes: Charm items!
1st - Sleeping Cat with a Sleeping kitten - Grey with white paws
2nd - Sleeping Cat - Grey with white paws
3rd - Maroon jeweled chest
The top 3 flags will also receive a modest flag hall to place them in (if the flag already has a hall we will give the monarch 10,000 PoE and 10 doubloons). The charm item(s) will be placed where the monarch chooses in the flag hall (as long as it's possible to place an item there).
Details: Given we're still in early access, this event will allow us to test blockades before we open islands. It's also possible we need to run additional event blockades.
Note: It's possible (but not currently intended) that the charm prizes may appear in the future on LE ships or as furniture in promo boxes.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Nov 17, 2017 12:02:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

I was completely ignoring the time part of the post apparently, thanks!
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[Nov 17, 2017 12:05:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
killerdiller

Blockade was great except is there a way to add the faction icon at the end of the flag name for each ship on the board. Would help for fast recognition.

Also i saw the post about the next blockade but i did not see what island its going to be on. I would assume Triplets but is that correct?
Willelmus
Former Capt of Serial Pillagers
Royal and Bnavver
Art of War
[Nov 19, 2017 4:57:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Blockade was great except is there a way to add the faction icon at the end of the flag name for each ship on the board. Would help for fast recognition.

Also i saw the post about the next blockade but i did not see what island its going to be on. I would assume Triplets but is that correct?

12/16/2017 - Event
Type: Sinking
Time: Noon game time.
Rounds: 2 out of 3
Prize: The winning faction will determine which island will open first, Magpie Island or Loggerhead Island. If the Defiant side wins, Loggerhead Island will open first. If Shadow wins, Magpie Island will be the first to open. The winning faction is determined by the winning flag. Thus, it's in a faction's best interest to work together to ensure the faction is the winner.
[Nov 19, 2017 12:09:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

See also, "It's sinking, and the results basically don't matter, so why even show up"
[Nov 19, 2017 12:09:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captholland

so when is the next island opened:D can use some outposts or larges:D
[Jan 22, 2018 12:55:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

why does everything have to be at noon game time all the time?
I love Honey

Big supporter of Crafting puzzles being freed!

Remove dead oceans, make a new one for the established players!

Add Skilled swabbies for SMHs/flotillas!
[Jan 23, 2018 10:36:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captholland

The attacked drops 24 hours in advance. So the cade time depends on the local time of the attacking flag. Since the most people live in america this is probably the best time for them to drop.
unfortunatly for the europeans or australians...
[Jan 24, 2018 3:10:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Noon gametime (9pm in Europe) is not a bad time for Europeans, especially on saturdays.

...The Australians however, do not get good cade times.
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at Jan 24, 2018 3:37:38 AM]
[Jan 24, 2018 3:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Popcorn1

Next round of islands on Obsidian???
Yum Chiles!
[May 6, 2018 2:49:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Lol!
Just wanted to say something about the times...

Blockades are usually at 3am here. :) So, either I keep myself awake and become really sleepy around blockade time, or I sleep (and oversleep) and wake up when blockades are over. xD

Good thing I'm just a jobber and not in charge of running anything during kades. :P

(I'm not Australian, but closer to them in time. :) )
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[May 6, 2018 7:02:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LisaKayeLA

Next round of islands on Obsidian???

I've heard gossip since I started that we would get the next set of islands in "summer".
Cpt - Debauchery at Sea
Princess of Fresh and Bold on Obisidian
Always just a text away.

*NOTE: All comments, opinions and observations are strictly my own and do not reflect those of my flag unless I'm queen.
[May 9, 2018 11:20:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates