• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 48
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4986 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
Cronus
OceanMaster

Obsidian Blockade Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Discuss upcoming blockades ye scallywags!

Announcement is here.
----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Nov 1, 2017 2:12:07 PM]
[Nov 1, 2017 2:11:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Obsidian Blockade Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Sad is about all I can add.... we have lost so many players Emerald is gona be the most populated ocean by the new year. Took way to long and is way to slow.
Filthyjake All Oceans
Price Cap Doubloons for long term success of Puzzle Pirates Dub oceans!
Reciprocity:The practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit.
[Nov 1, 2017 2:32:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aligate

I don't really see a significant incentive for flags to invest much in these event blockades. The two islands aren't far enough apart for either side to gain a large advantage.

EDIT: When you say 3 rounds do you mean 3 rounds to win or a best of 3?
Aristoza
Babylon
Fourteen flag royalty chats, "just tell them to suck 14s nuts"

Avatar by the lovely and talented Cattrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Aligate at Nov 1, 2017 3:00:13 PM]
[Nov 1, 2017 2:41:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tejb5

DA:3898, SF: 5631. (3pm gt 11/01)

Based Jobber Pools, I can totally see this going well.
-Shigby
Royal in MKA
[Nov 1, 2017 3:14:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Came here excited, read Filthyjake's response, automatically got depressed. There's just no satisfying people. I'm happy Cades are now launched and the loopholes we have to go through sounds like it could be fun. Down with the shadow scums, numbers or not, we all know Defiant is taking this one.
[Nov 1, 2017 3:46:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Are there any plans to change the way shoppes will work, further to the ones already made for Dark Seas? The second week of colonization will see the island full, likely with 2 shipyards and 4 bazaar/housing buildings. After that it will be deadlock on the shoppes since anyone who wishes to build their own will have to not only stop the original owners from retaking the island, but also anyone else who would reopen the shoppes.

Is this something that GH is happy to let the players sort out themselves or is this type of deadlock an unfavourable situation you'd rather find a design solution to?
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Nov 1, 2017 3:47:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

Are there any plans to change the way shoppes will work, further to the ones already made for Dark Seas? The second week of colonization will see the island full, likely with 2 shipyards and 4 bazaar/housing buildings. After that it will be deadlock on the shoppes since anyone who wishes to build their own will have to not only stop the original owners from retaking the island, but also anyone else who would reopen the shoppes.

Is this something that GH is happy to let the players sort out themselves or is this type of deadlock an unfavourable situation you'd rather find a design solution to?

They've laid out the broad guidelines for how shoppes will work, while leaving it to players to decide the specifics when they get the island. Since this is a beta testing, I think we should just go with their plan, see how it plays out first before making any premature speculations and if it doesn't work out, recent history has shown they are willing to make immediate modifications.
[Nov 1, 2017 3:51:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Continued from premature post:
There are 1296 stall on PV alone.
123 apoth
232 Distill
354 Shipyards
587 IM’s

Which is why I would like us to be able to spread out sooner then later if their is 2 islands a month that open up we will continue to be crammed up. If they open 2 or 6 I don't see a huge difference other then people can spread out sooner. Once someone has an island they will likely sit on it as long as they can, they are not likely to go for a 2nd in the same month.

I am thrilled to see kades come saddened that its 2 months out before we get even close to the whole game more so that its only 2 islands and Triplets isn't one of them as I expect that to be a coveted island. I am not the only one growing impatient to see the exciting new server have the same things the old oceans did.
Filthyjake All Oceans
[Nov 1, 2017 4:30:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Onelegstan

First islands in January?

The idea of a fresh start for everyone on the new ocean is ruined. Some individuals will have 100mill by January, how is it going to be competitive or fair?

The population has declined and this will continue. So much poe will be in the game between elites by january that the 200 people still playing will get 9999 a seg. This really is crazy.

SIX months after the release of this ocean we get blockades? are you joking?
Martyhur on Emerald
Marty on Obsidian
[Nov 1, 2017 4:40:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

I assume the event blockades will be held on Port Venture but I saw no mention of it so I was wondering if we could get confirmation of this.
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian
Fleet Officer of Insatiable

[Nov 2, 2017 3:28:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sulevaie

The idea of a fresh start for everyone on the new ocean is ruined. Some individuals will have 100mill by January, how is it going to be competitive or fair?

The population has declined and this will continue. So much poe will be in the game between elites by january that the 200 people still playing will get 9999 a seg. This really is crazy.

Bolded for emphasis. It might be a wee bit of an exaggeration, but this guy has a point.
Twiggy on Obsidian and Meridian
Vulpine on Meridian
Suleviae on Obsidian and Emerald
[Nov 2, 2017 8:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiterocket

12/16/2017 - Event
Type: Sinking
Time: Noon game time.
Rounds: 3
Prize: The winning faction will determine which island will open first, Magpie Island or Loggerhead Island. If the Defiant side wins, Loggerhead Island will open first. If Shadow wins, Magpie Island will be the first to open. The winning faction is determined by the winning flag. Thus, it's in a faction's best interest to work together to ensure the faction is the winner.

01/06/2018 - Island Opening
Type: Sinking
Time: Noon game time.
Rounds: 3
Note: Opening of Magpie Island or Loggerhead Island depending on who won the event blockade. The island will be placed under BK control and The Two flags must not only contend with each other, but also a brigand king. Winning flag will claim ownership of the island.

I assume "THE TWO FLAGS" means the two FACTIONS? Or what does this mean?

edit: And also considering the fact, ther will be 2 weeks inbetween the first island and second island. You will probably be able to get your palace up and running with a personal shipyard. how do the other flags compete when you are sharing 3 shipyards for ALL of the remaining people playing the game?

How will it work if the first flag manages to claim the second island based on Wf's alone then? Reset the ocean because you obviously don't listen to your playerbase? Or can some1 explain to me what i obviously missed on how they are going to avoid this.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Whiterocket at Nov 2, 2017 9:12:27 AM]
[Nov 2, 2017 8:58:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nek0jin

edit: And also considering the fact, ther will be 2 weeks inbetween the first island and second island. You will probably be able to get your palace up and running with a personal shipyard. how do the other flags compete when you are sharing 3 shipyards for ALL of the remaining people playing the game?

How will it work if the first flag manages to claim the second island based on Wf's alone then? Reset the ocean because you obviously don't listen to your playerbase? Or can some1 explain to me what i obviously missed on how they are going to avoid this.

They mentioned in the Announcement that the three main islands will be getting NPC-run Shipyard Shoppes when the first island is claimed. Since those are first-come-first-served, they'll have time to crank out at least a few bigger ships.

And the personal shipyard doesn't mean that you're only producing ships for your flag/faction - once it's open, anyone can buy there, provided they can get there. So there's going to be four Ship Shoppes available for people who want the larger ships. Will this be a logjam for the first month or three? Probably. Beyond that, it'll be fine.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nek0jin at Nov 2, 2017 9:37:45 AM]
[Nov 2, 2017 9:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Sure I am not the only one who can see why they may have gone with January? Any earlier release would have allowed for a couple of flags to maintain a massive stronghold over the 2 week winter-break from blockades where there would be no worry about losing the island or shoppes facing forced closure.

As much as I don't want to wait until January, I'd like to think I understand why. Then again I could be way off the mark with my assumption.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Nov 2, 2017 10:11:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

And the personal shipyard doesn't mean that you're only producing ships for your flag/faction - once it's open, anyone can buy there, provided they can get there. .

You clearly don't know much about shopkeeping on YPP. It is trivially easy to turn on and off orders, so the store is only "open to everyone" for a few seconds. Even then, it is trivially easy to jack up the prices so that only the owner and friends can get reasonably priced products.

As for the three ringer run shops, well I can only hope they do a hell of a lot better than they have done for the last decade on the Ice ocean. It might be possible, but they have a horrible track record.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 2, 2017 10:52:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Please be aware that in the interest of keeping this discussion reasonable to follow, I've removed posts that have little to do with blockading or the announcement. We welcome your suggestions about the ocean, but the best place to post those is in the Game Design forum so that developers actually see it.

I'll try to answer a few questions I saw:

When you say 3 rounds do you mean 3 rounds to win or a best of 3?

Best of 3.

I assume the event blockades will be held on Port Venture but I saw no mention of it so I was wondering if we could get confirmation of this.

Good question. The event blockades will take place on Triple's Treasure so as to not block off the starter island. It's also slightly closer to the HQs and towards whichever island is eventually opened. I've updated the announcement.

Sure I am not the only one who can see why they may have gone with January? Any earlier release would have allowed for a couple of flags to maintain a massive stronghold over the 2 week winter-break from blockades where there would be no worry about losing the island or shoppes facing forced closure.

This is correct. We also need to first test blockades before we run one that would have such a vital impact.
[Nov 2, 2017 11:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrydb

There are already flags with far more than this but whats important is how blocades distribute / sink (literally) this wealth. Sure you may have several large flags with huge warchests but a lot of that wealth is tied up in ships. And they are going to throw their armadas at eachother. Meanwhile high segment pay (disregarding that 999/seg is entirely unreasonable) distributes the weath to among the jobbers. Let alone the stock / ship costs of rebuilding after or the construction of buildings on the island.

I would bet that there will be a blockade the week after the inital opening, and then again the week after that as well. How many consecutive blockades do you think a flag could keep up to defend an island?
Scorge on Obsidian
Scorge on Emerald
Huntard forever
[Nov 2, 2017 3:18:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luxory

Best of 3.

What is the thought process of this?

The reason I ask this is because I feel that you're going to make blockades whoever wins the first round win the whole thing now. I get that a lot of people pull out after round 2 but that's because on a financial view point it's not always worth showing round 3 onward. Best of 5s was fine and led to some really exciting blockades, some of the best blockades that I was apart of went 5 rounds and they was a lot more satisfying than any 1 round demolition.

If you're looking to reduce the amount of time a blockade takes, lower round times to 30 minutes, in theory that's still 3 rounds but wont be as much of an impact.

The main reason I also feel 5 round is better, is because I feel 5 different boards is great, sometimes you can get really unlucky board spawns as a defender and that alone can cost you a blockade, especially in 300 vs 300 situations where just having bodies on the board is the difference.
Luxory on Obsidian.
Aristoza flag royalty chats, "Ro initiated all the greenies by getting them on one big ship and sinking them all at once"
Positive Penguins
[Nov 2, 2017 10:08:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Best of 3.

What is the thought process of this?

The reason I ask this is because I feel that you're going to make blockades whoever wins the first round win the whole thing now. I get that a lot of people pull out after round 2 but that's because on a financial view point it's not always worth showing round 3 onward. Best of 5s was fine and led to some really exciting blockades, some of the best blockades that I was apart of went 5 rounds and they was a lot more satisfying than any 1 round demolition.

If you're looking to reduce the amount of time a blockade takes, lower round times to 30 minutes, in theory that's still 3 rounds but wont be as much of an impact.

The main reason I also feel 5 round is better, is because I feel 5 different boards is great, sometimes you can get really unlucky board spawns as a defender and that alone can cost you a blockade, especially in 300 vs 300 situations where just having bodies on the board is the difference.

Yeah we definitely need this clearing up. I thought he'd meant the event was best of 3, but all of them currently read the same. I can't imagine the island openings being limited to Bo3, but clarity is definitely better than assuming.

[Nov 3, 2017 1:35:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

These have been anticipated for a long time, but a lot of people won't be able to participate if it is over in a round or so. It could be very anticlimatic as a blockade and frustrating for those who can't make it for noon game time but can make it 1-3 hours later.
Spinny avatar by lovely Darkabyss.

Bauds and also Peteypirate, sailing on Cerulean.
[Nov 5, 2017 2:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdl1963

These have been anticipated for a long time, but a lot of people won't be able to participate if it is over in a round or so. It could be very anticlimatic as a blockade and frustrating for those who can't make it for noon game time but can make it 1-3 hours later.

And it could be could be very anticlimactic as a blockade and frustrating for those who can't make it at 2pm game time but can make it 1-3 hours earlier.

There's not going to be any one time that will satisfy everyone.
[Nov 5, 2017 6:18:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bauds

A 5 hour window for attendance is better than a 3 hour window was what I meant, as well as the other points raised.
Spinny avatar by lovely Darkabyss.

Bauds and also Peteypirate, sailing on Cerulean.
[Nov 5, 2017 11:53:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

A 5 hour window for attendance is better than a 3 hour window was what I meant, as well as the other points raised.

So basically you wish it was 5 rounds which is a fair argument. I don't think that the pay is going to be all that great for the event kades, and sadly I don't think that will bring in most jobbers for 3 rounds much less 5. I see the real/non-event kades being a bigger draw as an island not a decision is up for grabs.
Filthyjake All Oceans
[Nov 6, 2017 4:42:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Yeah we definitely need this clearing up. I thought he'd meant the event was best of 3, but all of them currently read the same. I can't imagine the island openings being limited to Bo3, but clarity is definitely better than assuming.

We've gone ahead and changed the island openings to be the best 3 out of 5 so more pirates can participate. The event blockades will still be 2 of 3. I've updated the main post to reflect the change.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Cronus at Nov 6, 2017 6:47:04 AM]
[Nov 6, 2017 6:44:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

We've gone ahead and changed the island openings to be the best 3 out of 5 so more pirates can participate. The event blockades will still be 2 of 3. I've updated the main post to reflect the change.

What happens in the case of a tie sudden death or would a Tie leave the BK in control? Its reasonable to think multiple flags will enter.

Flag 1 wins 1 rounds
Flag 2 wins 2 rounds
Flag 3 wins 2 rounds
Filthyjake All Oceans
[Nov 6, 2017 6:49:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

What happens in the case of a tie sudden death or would a Tie leave the BK in control? Its reasonable to think multiple flags will enter.

Flag 1 wins 1 rounds
Flag 2 wins 2 rounds
Flag 3 wins 2 rounds

Unless they're making changes, the island will remain in BK control. Sudden death only occurs when there is a tie for first place in a round, not the overall blockade.

[Nov 7, 2017 12:01:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Cronus wrote: 
We've gone ahead and changed the island openings to be ...

Speaking of changes, has GH been flopping the island sizes around from medium to large and back for loggerhead and magpie? Or, have us players maintaining the yppedia just been messing up?

As it stands right now, both loggerhead and magpie are medium islands. This could make for interesting politics, what with so few buildings being allowed on mediums and every shop built means one fewer bazaars built. Once a flag builds a bazaar, it will probably never be dusted and replaced with a shop, but shops can always be dusted and replaced with a bazaar.

The central location of these two islands also will make for good <merchant> bot deliveries.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Nov 7, 2017 9:45:04 AM]
[Nov 7, 2017 9:42:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Speaking of changes, has GH been flopping the island sizes around from medium to large and back for loggerhead and magpie? Or, have us players maintaining the yppedia just been messing up?

It looks like at some point (probably when we were fixing the island loading issues) the in game setting for some of them got changed unknowingly. Helpful wiki editors adjusted the wiki not knowing that it was incorrect. I believe I corrected them all yesterday and the devs made sure they were listed correctly in game.

Loggerhead and Magpie are both mediums.
[Nov 7, 2017 12:17:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

It looks like at some point (probably when we were fixing the island loading issues) the in game setting for some of them got changed unknowingly. Helpful wiki editors adjusted the wiki not knowing that it was incorrect. I believe I corrected them all yesterday and the devs made sure they were listed correctly in game.

Loggerhead and Magpie are both mediums.

Backtracking to my original question (of which I was under the impression they were mediums as the Wiki stated at the time), is the building limit and the island likely turning into a fight over 2 dark shipyards an outcome GH are happy with? Or are there potentially other changes in the pipeline that will affect this?

[Nov 7, 2017 12:45:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Cronus wrote: 
I believe I corrected them all yesterday and the devs made sure they were listed correctly in game.

Thank you for fixing the islands, and for fixing the yppedia, and for answering my question here. Much appreciated!

Penguinpaste wrote: 
is the building limit and the island likely turning into a fight over 2 dark shipyards an outcome GH are happy with?

The medium island of Olive on Cobalt long had two shipyard shops (and no bazaar!), and it didn't cause a problem. The same goes for Prolix on Cobalt, although it had a bazaar along with 2 shops.

I could see these islands even having 3 shipyard shops on them, with the palace selling pillage supplies.

Is there a problem that I'm not seeing?

Or are there potentially other changes in the pipeline that will affect this?

For larger islands, I recommend several changes
[Nov 7, 2017 2:56:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 48   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates