• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2130 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
xanduba

Why is everybody using Falchion? Reply to this Post

Is there a reason for it? Would I be dumb if I spend my hard earned PoE in another kind of sword?
[Oct 25, 2017 9:36:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nek0jin

Re: Why is everybody using Falchion? Reply to this Post

Here is the page for swords in the game. I suspect that Falchion is popular for one primary reason: its drop pattern.

It's a simple, straightforward pattern that does not have any sections that might lead to either long straightaways or boxes. It is relatively strong for both sprinkles and strikes.

Compare against the Longsword:

That gives (or has the potential to give) both squares on the left (blue), right (yellow), and red (middle), and unless you're doing a strike that's at least 6 long, you might also be giving long blue (left) or yellow (right) strings for the opponent to capitalize on.

The two I remember being popular other than Falchion were the Cleaver:

...and the Skull Dagger:

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what pattern fits your play style best. If you do lots of sprinkles, you want something that mixes up the tiles on the bottom two levels of the pattern like the Poniard. If you do strikes more often, look at swords like the Falchion, Cleaver, and Cutlass that have more broken-up contents along the three columns (left two, right two, middle two).

It should be easy to see that the Foil, Stiletto, and Stick all suck, and are typically only used by the clueless and the arrogant. Some grand champions have been known to offer challenges for money, with them using the Stick and letting their opponents use whatever they want...
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Nek0jin at Oct 25, 2017 1:50:32 PM]
[Oct 25, 2017 1:39:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Why is everybody using Falchion? Reply to this Post

I found thisthread on Sword fighting interesting and informative about the swords.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans primary Cerulean
DUB FREE Ocean (Cerulean) Dub Scribe 42 dubs NO delivery FEES
SO/Parlor/Labor/SMH badge 39 dubs
You can play free to try it
[Oct 25, 2017 4:27:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates