• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1660 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Pumpkin Carving Contest 2017! [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

And we're back! October is the month when talented pirates sharpen up their swords and go pumpkin plunderin'. Why, you ask? So they can get carving masterpieces to decorate their ships, homes, workplaces or gardens for Halloween, of course!

Time to get carving!

Deadline
11:59:59 game time October 31st, 2017

Entry thread
ENTRY THREAD HERE

Prizes
1st prize: choice between orange/black parrot, orange octopus or orange monkey
2nd prize: choice of standard sleeping pet (pig, piglet, tortoise or turtle - no chocolate coloured sleeping pets).
3rd prize: an (adjective) Pumpkinseed sloop painted orange and black
Honorable mentions will receive other prizes such as orange or black trinkets, clothes or furniture. Other prizes may be added depending on participation.

In addition to the main judging, it has become traditional for OMs to take a look through the thread and award eggs or dolls to entries that particularly please them!

What do you have to do?
* Obtain a real pumpkin. If pumpkins are not available where you live, you can try any type of gourd, squash, etc. If those aren't available, you may use a melon.
* Create a Puzzle Pirates design for your pumpkin.
* Carve the design onto your pumpkin.
* Create a card (or slip of paper) that includes your pirate name, ocean and the year (2017).
* Take at least two "creation" pictures while you are carving your pumpkin, to prove it's your own work. Include a card with your pirate's name, ocean and the year in EACH photo (no photoshopping).
* Take at least one lit and one unlit photo of your pumpkin, again including your pirate's name and ocean on a card to show it's your own handiwork.
* Host your images on Imgur . You don't need to make an account--just upload them
* Submit your entry with a minimum of four photos per entry (two creation, one lit, and one unlit) in the entry thread in the Mariner's Muse along with your pirate's name and ocean.
* Double check your entry to make sure you have four working links to each entry, and that it follows the template below.

Entry Template:
Pirate Name:
Ocean:
Creation Link:
Creation Link:
Unlit Link:
Lit Link:

Judging Criteria
Judging will be based upon the creativity and cleverness of design, the quality and detail of carving, and the overall effect of the lit pumpkin. Remember, the LIT pumpkin is the photo being used for judging. Take care with regard to shadows, flash, focus, and detail.

Other rules
* Only one entry per player
* Only one pumpkin per carving
* Carvings must be original and your own, and may not be designs submitted to other contests
* You will not get any credit for decorating or dressing your pumpkin in ways other than carving - and if it detracts from the carving itself, then you could even lose marks.
*Feel free to use or modify commercial patterns, but you are unlikely to score highly on creativity if you do so!

So, what arrr ye waitin' fer? Go get carvin'!
----------------------------------------
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Nemesis at Nov 15, 2017 12:04:48 PM]
[Oct 13, 2017 6:53:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiigrikutsu

Re: Pumpkin Carving Contest 2017! Reply to this Post

* Submit your entry with a minimum of four photos per entry (two creation, one lit, and one unlit) in the entry thread in the Mariner's Muse along with your pirate's name and ocean.

Links to 2016 entry thread.
Fastgirl Purrinator on Emerald
Purr on Obsidian

[Oct 17, 2017 5:28:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lespaulhero

Hello!

In regards to the pumpkin carving competition- I believe there is some ambiguity as to what you mean by "carvings must be original and your own." Does this mean the design has to be brand new from our own imagination or can we use a particular design or character from the game in our carving? Please let me know at your earliest convenience. Thank ye so much!
[Oct 29, 2017 7:39:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Does this mean the design has to be brand new from our own imagination or can we use a particular design or character from the game in our carving?

From what I understood, using in-game images as templates would be similar to using commercial patterns, as talked about here:

Feel free to use or modify commercial patterns, but you are unlikely to score highly on creativity if you do so!

So I'd say it's perfectly fine to use in-game references, but if it's not modified any to be more your own, they'll consider it less creative.

Feel free to correct me, Nemesis. :)
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Oct 29, 2017 8:00:39 AM]
[Oct 29, 2017 7:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Re: Pumpkin Carving Contest 2017! [Winners Announced!] Reply to this Post

Sorry for the delay - took us this long to recover from all the Halloween candy!
Congratulations Winners!
1st prize: Purr - choice between orange/black parrot, orange octopus or orange monkey (delivered!)
2nd prize: Alpha - choice of standard sleeping pet (pig, piglet, tortoise or turtle - no chocolate coloured sleeping pets).
3rd prize: Mellie - an (adjective) Pumpkinseed sloop painted orange and black

For everyone else, I hear we have a few things heading your way. Could be eggs and dolls and trinkets...could be linty candy.
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Hera at Nov 15, 2017 4:48:08 PM]
[Nov 15, 2017 12:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Congrats to the winners! I'm always impressed at you guys' superior squash sculpting skills.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 15, 2017 2:32:08 PM]
[Nov 15, 2017 2:31:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiigrikutsu

Wow, thank you so much!! And gratz to the other winners :3
Fastgirl Purrinator on Emerald
Purr on Obsidian

[Nov 15, 2017 4:01:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hera
OceanMaster

Yarr! What clever pirates; I just adore this competition. This year I'm giving my very first Hera Doll on Obsidian to Cattrin and my very first Hera Egg* on Obsidian to Mellie

*hahahahahaaaaa! No stopping me this time Nemesis!

Congratulations to you both and to all who entered. Prizes will be in yer inventories soon(ish).
Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
[Nov 15, 2017 4:25:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smugumin

Re: Pumpkin Carving Contest 2017! [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

Grats to all the winners and participants! Carving out those pumpkins is very, very hard work! :) And I know most of us enjoyed it! :D
[Nov 15, 2017 5:22:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mellie5

Sweetness! Thank you for liking my carved mermaid and thank you for my very first shippie and egg on Obsidian. Gratz to everyone who entered.
[Nov 15, 2017 10:09:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patrys12

Thank you and congratulations to Purr and Mellie and all the other pumpkin carvers. Was fun carving.
- xxx Alpha xxx -
[Nov 16, 2017 4:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Congrats mates! Great fun as always. :)
Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Nov 16, 2017 8:56:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

Congrats mates! Love all the awesome pumpkin skills!

Thanks Nemesis for running this event!
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by lilymoon at Nov 16, 2017 9:14:46 AM]
[Nov 16, 2017 9:14:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

This year I'm giving my very first Hera Doll on Obsidian to Cattrin

Ooh, thank you Hera! I'll hug her and squeeze her and love her forever.
Cattrin of Cerulean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cattrin at Nov 16, 2017 7:10:23 PM]
[Nov 16, 2017 7:10:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates