• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5064 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
coleman25

Banned for Botting Reply to this Post

But never botted.

Have been e-mailing the OMs and they keep asserting I botted for some reason. I have now asked for specifics on the bot their system is showing, but after searching on the internet it seems like there is an issue of false positive bans going on in the system since the move to Dark Seas.

They have said they will let me go back into the game on the basis that if "I'm caught botting again I will be permanently banned." Well who's to say their system won't mess up again? I want this fully cleared, and I want them to recognize they made the mistake here. Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on how I proceed?
----------------------------------------
Crut of all Oceans
Originally from Cobalt and Cerulean

[Oct 5, 2017 7:31:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ryanford350

Re: Banned for Botting Reply to this Post

Any advice on how I proceed?

refrain from botting
PoE

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Oct 5, 2017 10:05:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coleman25

Any advice on how I proceed?

refrain from botting

If I actually botted, I wouldn't be spending the effort to make sure my name is fully cleared. But I am adamant that I will not return to the game unless my name is fully cleared. So to rephrase: Any advice on how to proceed on being receiving a false positive ban for botting?
Crut of all Oceans

[Oct 5, 2017 10:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

If I actually botted, I wouldn't be spending the effort to make sure my name is fully cleared. But I am adamant that I will not return to the game unless my name is fully cleared. So to rephrase: Any advice on how to proceed on being receiving a false positive ban for botting?

Congrats on getting your ban overturned enjoy your boycott.

Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Oct 5, 2017 11:44:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Foilistc

Actually if you actually botted and then got a reprieve you would absolutely be trying to get your name fully cleared so you don't get permabanned when they catch you again.

So t rephrase the other answers, don't bot, don't to anything that can be picked up by their sniffers as botting, don't use any addons, just play the game as it's intended.
I'm old. I don't look it but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart...
[Oct 7, 2017 8:54:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.carlknoch.com [Link]  Go to top 
coleman25

Actually if you actually botted and then got a reprieve you would absolutely be trying to get your name fully cleared so you don't get permabanned when they catch you again.

So t rephrase the other answers, don't bot, don't to anything that can be picked up by their sniffers as botting, don't use any addons, just play the game as it's intended.

You didn't think your argument through.

1. If I were a botter and wanted to continue botting, by fighting to be fully cleared I get almost no where. I'd be caught again, and then surely I wouldn't get fully cleared. So I would get a few extra days in the game maybe? How is that worth it?

2. If I were a botter who realized they caught me and wanted to stop, getting completely cleared again provides almost no benefit because I would have faith I'd be ok moving forward because I would not be botting anymore

3. In this case, with a false positive ban for botting, is the only situation where fighting tooth and nail, and refusing to come back to the game unelss my name is completely cleared, makes sense. I now have no faith that their system to test for bans works properly. I'm not going to falsely admit to botting without knowing they've figured out why their system messed up and that they understand it did mess up in the first place. I'm just going to be going back to playing as normal and assume for some reason now it's not going to incorrectly flag me again? Ha, no thanks. Either treat your customers with respect, figure out the bugs in your system that mark players who have fairly played the game for 12 years without ever breaking the rules, or I'm out and will be doing as much damage to the product as possible. I'm not cheating in anyway, the only add-on I have is Steam.
It is my understanding that I am supposed to be using it. Sorry not sorry but this was just wrong. Only makes it worse that I made my first attempt to buy dubloons the night before, couldn't get it to work, then woke up banned with $10 lost to Steam.

If you refuse to believe me here, you're not providing me or anyone else any benefit. So what I'm looking for here is advice from people on what to do in my case of receiving a ban for botting in the case where you didn't bot. Thanks.
Crut of all Oceans

[Edit 6 times, last edit by coleman25 at Oct 7, 2017 6:21:19 PM]
[Oct 7, 2017 5:24:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

So what I'm looking for here is advice from people on what to do in my case

Perhaps following their advice and not apealing to people who have no power as stated here

How to appeal a ban?
The only way to appeal a ban is if the owner of the banned account requests a review of their case using the Support Form. A petition or complaint will not help in a banning case, nor will getting friends of the player to plead on his or her behalf. It is not appropriate to post in the forum discussing bans.

Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)

Who would have ever thought there would be a more worthless familiar then the Krackling's? But now we have owls that are farm raised.

Which ever way the wind blows...
[Oct 7, 2017 7:10:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I'm out and will be doing as much damage to the product as possible.

Extortion definitely gets the results you want. I feel like threatening the company is quite probably itself grounds for banning.
[Oct 7, 2017 7:31:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

coleman25 wrote: 
Either treat your customers with respect, figure out the bugs in your system that mark players who have fairly played the game for 12 years without ever breaking the rules, or I'm out and will be doing as much damage to the product as possible. I'm not cheating in anyway, the only add-on I have is Steam.

I have a difficult time believing it's their system that is broken. Otherwise we'd have a ton of forum posts about people being banned unfairly and not able to get those bans overturned.

Do you use macros or any kind of gaming mouse/keyboard that allows you to react more quickly in-game? If so, maybe that's what tripped their bot detection code?

coleman25 wrote: 

Grow up.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Vas wrote: 
can you add another quote to your signature? "Maj is a liability on the forums. Someone stop him"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Oct 8, 2017 1:10:39 AM]
[Oct 8, 2017 1:10:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I have a difficult time believing it's their system that is broken. Otherwise we'd have a ton of forum posts about people being banned unfairly and not able to get those bans overturned.

If you look at the ratings and reviews on Steam, there are actually a really large number of negative reviews that say "I got banned for no reason and they wouldn't unban me"

Mind you, "It wasn't me it was my little brother on my computer" has been a famous Y!PP objection to banning for years and literally everybody who got banned for botting maintains they weren't botting because why wouldn't that be your line? Once the tools aren't present on your system anymore it's difficult to prove you were doing it, and creating a bandwagon of "horrible mods acting unilaterally" offloads the response onto the staff to prove themselves.

But the whole "I'm refusing to play again unless they guarantee me in public that my record is clear" is pointless in the extreme because the whole thing is self-defeating. Either you have no faith in their system to not throw up false positives and no amount of reassurance that they believed last time was a false positive will make a difference to the future. Or you do believe that their system is capable of knowing the difference between botting and not, which means you were botting before and this is all just a song-and-dance to try and build a defense for next time you get caught botting.

There are some REALLY REALLY GOOD players of these puzzles. They play incredibly fast and incredibly accurately with consistently very high performance. I've watched them play live. You can be frigging unstoppable at these puzzles. If their system honestly couldn't tell the difference between a skilled human player and automation, there would be thousands upon thousands of bans of notable high-profile players for botting, which hasn't happened.
[Oct 8, 2017 7:48:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
coleman25

coleman25 wrote: 
Either treat your customers with respect, figure out the bugs in your system that mark players who have fairly played the game for 12 years without ever breaking the rules, or I'm out and will be doing as much damage to the product as possible. I'm not cheating in anyway, the only add-on I have is Steam.

Do you use macros or any kind of gaming mouse/keyboard that allows you to react more quickly in-game? If so, maybe that's what tripped their bot detection code?

coleman25 wrote: 

Grow up.

No I don't. I don't even know how I'd go about using such a thing, or how to make it. Looks like they refuse to accept this is a mistake, so I'm gunna dip unless they find out what's wrong. Call me stubborn, but I don't feel comfortable playing knowing I could be wrongfully banned at any time.

And why should I not try to hurt their product? Clearly it is malfunctioning and inadequate, and people should know that before getting into it. Trust me I loved this game, I've been a part of it for 12 years. But if this is how is ends I'm going to do my due diligence. Call me stubborn but I should have been treated fairly.
Crut of all Oceans

[Edit 3 times, last edit by coleman25 at Oct 8, 2017 8:22:18 PM]
[Oct 8, 2017 8:14:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Re: Un-banned for Botting Reply to this Post

Devonin wrote: 
majestrate wrote: 

If you look at the ratings and reviews on Steam, there are actually a really large number of negative reviews that say "I got banned for no reason and they wouldn't unban me"

Mind you, "It wasn't me it was my little brother on my computer" has been a famous Y!PP objection to banning for years and literally everybody who got banned for botting maintains they weren't botting because why wouldn't that be your line? Once the tools aren't present on your system anymore it's difficult to prove you were doing it, and creating a bandwagon of "horrible mods acting unilaterally" offloads the response onto the staff to prove themselves.

Is "I got banned for no reason and they wouldn't unban me" shorthand? Or is that literally all they're posting? I'd go check myself, but I hate the Steam application, so I try not to actually interface with it except when I have to.

In any case, I'm fully aware of the little brother excuse and OOO's view on it way back when (and GH's continued view on it). I also remember when LtG rolled out the bot detection system and all the players that were booty-hurt about it.

Devonin wrote: 
There are some REALLY REALLY GOOD players of these puzzles. They play incredibly fast and incredibly accurately with consistently very high performance. I've watched them play live. You can be frigging unstoppable at these puzzles. If their system honestly couldn't tell the difference between a skilled human player and automation, there would be thousands upon thousands of bans of notable high-profile players for botting, which hasn't happened.

This was what I was getting at when I wrote that I had a hard time believing that it's their system that is broken.

coleman25 wrote: 
No I don't. I don't even know how I'd go about using such a thing, or how to make it. Looks like they refuse to accept this is a mistake, so I'm gunna dip unless they find out what's wrong. Call me stubborn, but I don't feel comfortable playing knowing I could be wrongfully banned at any time.

You don't know how you'd go about using a gaming keyboard/mouse?

coleman25 wrote: 
And why should I not try to hurt their product? Clearly it is malfunctioning and inadequate, and people should know that before getting into it. Trust me I loved this game, I've been a part of it for 12 years. But if this is how is ends I'm going to do my due diligence. Call me stubborn but I should have been treated fairly.

You pleaded that you weren't botting, they reviewed your case, agreed with you, and then unbanned you. You're not being stubborn, you're being immature.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

Vas wrote: 
can you add another quote to your signature? "Maj is a liability on the forums. Someone stop him"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Oct 9, 2017 1:40:43 AM]
[Oct 9, 2017 1:39:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Hardrockjoe

Please quit already?
Hardrockjoe on every Ocean
Hiding in the shadows on Obsidian

Sokol says, "you're magical, Joe!"
Madies says, "wow joe!"
Mekiko tells ye, "I just want you to know I had a dream about you last night"
[Oct 9, 2017 6:00:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ZeroZiat

It is not appropriate to post in the forum discussing bans.

I believe you should either leave or attempt contacting the people in charge through other means like the Support Form/Email . They aren't really obligated at all to get in a shouting match with you through this thread.
Playing since 2007 on Dub oceans. All pirates purged.

Zerzekziat on Obsidian
[Oct 9, 2017 6:57:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ryanford350

And why should I not try to hurt their product?

nuff said.

Ah Cephalopod, how i miss ya, brother...

I'd give an OCL for one more good Cephalopwning
PoE

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

================
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ryanford350 at Oct 9, 2017 10:54:05 AM]
[Oct 9, 2017 10:53:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

It is not appropriate to post in the forum discussing bans.

I believe you should either leave or attempt contacting the people in charge through other means like the Support Form/Email . They aren't really obligated at all to get in a shouting match with you through this thread.

He's been un-banned. He's unhappy that GH won't tell him what tripped the bot detection system in the first place.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

Vas wrote: 

[Oct 10, 2017 12:23:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
HotNoob

just dont puzzle!

if ye dont play the puzzles, they wont accidentally ban you for botting!

i hope it works...

i just manage meh shoppe stalls. puzzling is too risky.. :P
[Oct 22, 2017 9:20:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

just dont puzzle!

if ye dont play the puzzles, they wont accidentally ban you for botting!

i hope it works...

i just manage meh shoppe stalls. puzzling is too risky.. :P

They could always ban you for using a program to prevent yourself from idling off. The best solution is clearly to not play at all.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Oct 22, 2017 10:01:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HotNoob

tos says its ok to use 3rd party software outside of puzzles.

should be safe to idle without fear of being banned.
[Oct 22, 2017 10:10:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sulevaie

I'm sorry, I don't understand how one hour of idle time isn't good enough. I mean really.
Twiggy on Obsidian and Meridian
Vulpine on Meridian
Suleviae on Obsidian and Emerald
[Nov 5, 2017 9:17:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
benwick

Actually the TOS says:

However, as noted in the formal Terms below, in general, software automating any tasks in Puzzle Pirates is not allowed and its use can lead to a ban.

~Wentworth
SO of Schroedinger's Cat
[Nov 6, 2017 7:07:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates