• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2267 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Jon1987

Steam Overlay And Purchaes Reply to this Post

I have come across a problem that Steam Overlay will not work for me.

I have tried many different 'solutions' that I have found googling the problem but unfortunately nothing fixes the problem. I've made sure everything thats need to be ticked is ticked and as far as i can see all permissions are granted.

I obviously wish to make a Dubs purchase but am unable to.

I am running Steam via Mac El Capitan OS.

If anyone can offer a solution i would be thankful to them :)

Jail
[Sep 18, 2017 9:28:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Re: Steam Overlay And Purchaes Reply to this Post

What happens, do you get an error message? Are you clicking the "Get doubloons" button in-game?
[Sep 18, 2017 9:50:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jujuman

Hello,

I have the same problem with Dark Seas on Mac. My Mac OS version is: 10.9.5 (Mavericks) The behaviour is as follows:

1. When the game is launched it warns that steam overlay requires assistive devices to be enabled, although Accessibility>Steam is already selected in System Preferences. I can skip this dialog by selecting OK.
2. When I try to purchase doubloon in-game, it says "The Steam overlay must be enabled in order to make a purchase. Please make sure that "Enable Steam Community In-Game" is checked in your Steam "In-Game" settings, and then restart the game.". But"Enable Steam Community In-Game" is already checked in Steam.

Best Regards,
----------------------------------------
Irontomflint on all oceans
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jujuman at Sep 18, 2017 11:54:37 AM]
[Sep 18, 2017 11:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

When you launch the game, does the Steam overlay toast pop-up in the bottom right corner of the game?

I've seen some players where this does not appear, which means the overlay is failing to load with the game regardless of whatever the settings are in-game.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 18, 2017 11:58:46 AM]
[Sep 18, 2017 11:55:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jon1987

Ii don't receive that pop up when I load YPP or any game in fact.
[Sep 18, 2017 12:12:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Have you tried updating your Java to the latest for Mac? Steam should be closed and exited completely during this update.

Another check is: System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility and make sure Steam is both listed as an item and the box is checked by it.

#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 18, 2017 12:48:52 PM]
[Sep 18, 2017 12:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fumen

If I recall correctly, you need to have the Steam in game interface enabled to be able to make in-game purchases. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9394-yofv-0014 (And this may vary by app depending on publisher.) If the interface isn't going active because of a bug related to Macs/Java or if you have the in game interface turned off, then the procedure will fail.

Ii don't receive that pop up when I load YPP or any game in fact.

This can be disabled through the Steam interface options, so it is not necessarily and indicator of an issue. However, this is enabled by default, so unless you've actually changed this to not show , there is an issue.

In the Steam interface, under the primary "Steam" options, go to "Settings->In-game," and there should be an option "Enable Steam overlay while in game." (Note: I'm not familiar with the Mac interface, so the exact location may differ from my Windows version.)

Maybe this will be helpful. Again, not very experienced with Macs, but this can be more of a general "Valve/Steam" problem for some people, too.
[Sep 18, 2017 1:28:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I'm moving here instead of my other thread, because I resolved that issue. However, Steam Overlay still isn't working. Everything that is supposed to be checked, is checked. Still no go. As mentioned in my other thread, I'm not running any kind of security software/firewall, so there shouldn't be any issues arising from that.

Forculus, is there any logging that we can enable on our side to help you out? Or would a /bug be of any use at all?

Also, is there any chance that the "Ye->Options->General->CPU Bug fix" option might be handling differently for macOS vice Windows? Just a wild guess.

#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Edit 2 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 18, 2017 3:00:10 PM]
[Sep 18, 2017 2:51:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
jujuman

I updated to Java 8 update 144, and now the game won't run at all :D It was at least running on Java 6 update 65, with no steam overlay of course.
[Sep 18, 2017 2:58:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

1. Did you remove the old version of Java?
2. Did you close PP:DS and Steam prior to the Java update?
3. Have you tried uninstalling PP:DS, rebooting, and then reinstalling?

On another note, to keep this thread a bit clean, can you create a new thread regarding this issue, as it encompasses more than just Steam Overlay not working?
#TeamEvil
#TeamDefiantArmada
[Sep 18, 2017 3:03:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
jujuman

Hello,

No I didn't remove the old version, I think it comes pre installed with Mac OS and can't be removed. As far as I know, installing the latest JDK is enough, both java -version and Java panel were reporting Java 8 update 144. I think the game just doesn't support the latest Java version on Mac OS, or my Mac OS version, 10.9.5.

I uninstalled Java 8 and it fell back to Java 6, and the game started to work again. Overlay doesn't work as usual.

I think it makes sense to keep this info here, since updating to the latest java version was suggested to fix the overlay issue and it actually makes the situation worse. Maybe it will help someone like me who updated to Java 8 and can't run the game at all. To remove Java 8 and return to Java 6, run the following commands at the terminal:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Java/*
sudo rm -rf /Library/PreferencePanes/Java*
sudo rm -rf /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Java*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jujuman at Sep 19, 2017 4:57:11 AM]
[Sep 18, 2017 4:02:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

After you install the latest Java, did you run the Verify integrity of local files check in Steam for Dark Seas?
#TeamPurple
[Sep 18, 2017 6:54:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thawix

ok, here's another solution, which will give windows 8/10 users access again to buy their precious doubloons.

steam overlay wants to run as administrator. so here's the fix.

find the steam files, where you installed steam, most of the times this will be

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

find the file named: GameOverlayUI.exe
rightclick this - properties - compatibility tab.
now check the box run this program as administrator.

restart steam and your game.
Thawixx on Obsidian

Retired
unretired
RE-retired

un-re-retired after hearing the call of the dark seas!
[Sep 19, 2017 9:48:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jujuman

After you install the latest Java, did you run the Verify integrity of local files check in Steam for Dark Seas?

Yes, I ran the Verify integrity of local files, it says "all files successfully validated". I also tried uninstalling Steam and the game and reinstalling, the result is the same. The game just doesn't start with Java 8 Update 144 on Mac OS 10.9.5.

I guess I will purchase dubs on Windows and continue to play on Mac, until (and if) this issue is resolved.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jujuman at Sep 19, 2017 1:14:59 PM]
[Sep 19, 2017 1:12:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I've investigated this with a couple of players so far and basically the conclusions have come back the same:

• The problem is not with the Puzzle Pirates client specifically, but actually the Steam Overlay on Mac in general. If you try to install and run other games, the Steam Overlay is very unlikely to be running on those either.
  • The problem can be overcome by disabling System Integrity Protection in Mac - instructions for which I'm not going to post here. It leaves your system too exposed in a lot of people's view.
    #TeamPurple
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 19, 2017 2:42:36 PM]
  • [Sep 19, 2017 2:42:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

Sagacious wrote: 
    I've investigated this with a couple of players so far and basically the conclusions have come back the same:

• The problem is not with the Puzzle Pirates client specifically, but actually the Steam Overlay on Mac in general. If you try to install and run other games, the Steam Overlay is very unlikely to be running on those either.
  • The problem can be overcome by disabling System Integrity Protection in Mac - instructions for which I'm not going to post here. It leaves your system too exposed in a lot of people's view.

• Thank you for bringing this back to topic.

I can tell you that Steam Overlay works for the only other game I have for my Mac in my Steam library. I do agree that it might not be just a PP:DS issue, but it definitely is not solely a Mac/Steam issue.

In any case, I disabled System Integrity Protection and now Steam Overlay works with PP:DS. However, this is not something I am leaving in place. But, good to know there is a work-around, if it's ever absolutely required.

Edit: I've re-enabled System Integrity Protection and Steam Overlay is once again not working within PP:DS.
    #TeamEvil
    #TeamDefiantArmada
    [Edit 3 times, last edit by majestrate at Sep 21, 2017 11:03:04 AM]
    [Sep 20, 2017 2:38:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    nightasha

Thanks for your input.

Worth noting for the PP people that I'm having the same issue. I'll try your solutions in order to get dubloons. This is pretty frustrating.. to come over to playing on steam, even throw in a bit of money to a totally new set of characters and account only to have it not work.
    [Sep 21, 2017 9:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

Thanks for your input.

Worth noting for the PP people that I'm having the same issue. I'll try your solutions in order to get dubloons. This is pretty frustrating.. to come over to playing on steam, even throw in a bit of money to a totally new set of characters and account only to have it not work.

To [mostly] quote another thread:

Scarpath wrote: 
    Yeah, there are issues. That's part of what you sign up for when you play a beta game/server. The badges issues will get fixed, just be patient.

Though, if the problem isn't solely with PP:DS, then there's only so much that GH is going to be able to do for us Mac users.
    #TeamEvil
    #TeamDefiantArmada
    [Sep 21, 2017 11:01:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    nightasha

Sagacious wrote: 

In any case, I disabled System Integrity Protection and now Steam Overlay works with PP:DS.

I tried it. It was the only time I could see the steam overlay in PP:DS, but it caused the game to crash and I was unable to interact and get dubloons anyway.

I went back and enabled System Integrity Protection again and I'm back where I started. No overlay.

I do also want to note that all my Java/jdk is up to date. It worked before and it works now. Other than this, the game runs fine. And I've never had a problem with the Steam Overlay in any of my other games. Outside of PP:DS my Steam Overlay works great.

I'm going to guess that PP:DS has old code that isn't grooving well with Steam and it's just buggy AF and they're going to have to do a lot of remediation. :( Boo.

I guess I'll keep an eye on this thread until there's some sign of a fix.

My info: MacOS Sierra v10.12.6, Java v1.8.0_144, Java Platform (JDK) 8u144 & NetBeans with JDK 8, Steam package version 1504757234 - Sep 6 2017, at 20:48:38 - Steam API v017
    Everything completely updated at this time.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by nightasha at Sep 21, 2017 11:02:47 AM]
    [Sep 21, 2017 11:02:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    nomiS

ok, here's another solution, which will give windows 8/10 users access again to buy their precious doubloons.

This worked for me (on Win 10) but I also had to do it to Steam.exe
    Senior Officer - Victorious Secret (Obsidian)
    Senior Officer - Black Death (Midnight) Retired
    [Sep 22, 2017 9:23:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CawCawCorra

I am also using Windows 10, I did this to both Gameoverlayui.exe and steam.exe and am still getting the steam overlay message when trying to buy dubs.
    Wheelie.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by CawCawCorra at Sep 25, 2017 1:57:38 AM]
    [Sep 25, 2017 1:57:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CawCawCorra

I am also using Windows 10, I did this to both Gameoverlayui.exe and steam.exe and am still getting the steam overlay message when trying to buy dubs.

After sending a petition in, I received an amazing response from Hera that immediately fixed the issue.

"Ahoy! Under your options tab, do you have CPU bugfix toggled on? If you do, can you toggle it off and then log out and in again and see if that allows you to access the overlay. Let us know how you get on"

I had enabled the CPU bugfix a few days ago when I was having issues with lag and someone in global chat had mentioned it may help. Disabling it completely resolved the problem, after I had uninstalled and reinstalled both Steam and the game numerous times.. it was as simple as disabling the CPU bugfix. Thanks again to the amazing Hera for fixing me stuffs!! <3
    Wheelie.
    [Sep 25, 2017 6:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Cecilian

I've done the above, but for the Steam.Exe I don't see a tab compatibility.....

I've tried everything. Petitioned an OM.
    Checked both overlay on Steam, took full screen off ingame, took the cpu thing off ingame, took the xbox thingy on my windows 10 off, have money on my steam wallet.

But I still get the message: The Steam overlay must be enabled in order to make a purchase. Please make sure that "Enable Steam Community In-Game" is checked in your Steam "In-Game" settings, and then restart the game.

The Shift+Tab also does nothing for me.
    As a finishing touch, God created the Dutch

Ceci
    Obsidian/Cerulean
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Cecilian at Sep 29, 2017 7:46:02 AM]
    [Sep 29, 2017 7:45:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    majestrate

Quick update. This issue also occurs on MacOS High Sierra (10.13). If anyone wants me to, I can try disabling System Integrity Protection, to see if that still resolves the Steam Overlay issue.
    #TeamEvil
    #TeamDefiantArmada
    [Sep 30, 2017 3:47:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

For Windows, one line of troubleshooting has led me to identify a possible issue with the overlay not supporting older graphics cards, particular laptop integrated ones.

Within the Steam directory, there's a file that's created whenever the overlay is launched - either called GameOverlayRenderer.log or GameOverlayRenderer64.log

Within this, on systems where the overlay is not running, the log file shows the following line as the final entry of the log after running Puzzle Pirates:
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:42 2017 UTC - Audio client started: 0x0848BE58, 1
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:42 2017 UTC - Audio hooked
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:46 2017 UTC - Game is using dxgi (dx10/dx11), preparing to hook.

Whereas on a working system, the log entries should continue:
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:42 2017 UTC - Audio client started: 0x0848BE58, 1
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:42 2017 UTC - Audio hooked
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:46 2017 UTC - Game is using dxgi (dx10/dx11), preparing to hook.
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:47 2017 UTC - Trying to setup input hook...
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:47 2017 UTC - Set input hook...
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:47 2017 UTC - hookCreateDXGIFactory called
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:47 2017 UTC - Hooking vtable for factory
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:47 2017 UTC - DXGIFactory2_CreateSwapChain already hooked via IDXGIFactory or IDXGIFactory1
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:50 2017 UTC - OpenGL version: 4.5 compatibility (overlay will use fixed function)
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:50 2017 UTC - OpenGL version is >= 3.1
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:50 2017 UTC - OpenGL Enabled LOD bias
    Mon Oct 09 05:44:50 2017 UTC - Texture units detected: 8

I'm wondering if on older systems, the overlay is not supported.
    #TeamPurple
    [Oct 9, 2017 3:12:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    bigbrass15

Just bumping this, to see if theres any response from the YPP team.

I've been wanting to buy doubloons now for over a month but can't because of this extremely irritating issue. There isn't much that mac users can do to solve this problem that is evident enough. Just wondering if people are actually looking into this issue or not at this point.

Thanks.

[Oct 15, 2017 2:11:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    nightasha

Hi!

Did anyone get anywhere with the Dubloon/Steam Overlay problem? I'm on a Mac and can't seem to get anywhere with a solution for PP:DS on Steam.

I've updated, done and tried everything. Java, JDK, all my settings are right, I've reinstalled all the things even... nothing works. This is pretty awful. I even purchased all the DLC hoping something might come with a patch or anything to correct this. Nothing.

I have no Steam Overlay issues with any other game, and I game a lot. (I'm a hardcore gamer, and former game industry professional.) I'd really love to hear about some traction on this from the business' side.
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by nightasha at Nov 11, 2017 9:35:02 AM]
    [Nov 11, 2017 9:25:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    skurfer48

So after 3 or 4 hours of trying things and googling over the past couple days I got it to work, though I'm not entirely sure how.

Mac OSX, for starters the overlay didn't work at all until I did the System Integrity Protection disabling trick. That got the overlay working, however then I was unable to interact with the overlay. (and it was tiny) It would show up but I couldn't click nor did it seem to even know I was mousing over it.

The two things that happened at once, neither of which I'm sure if solved it or it was just coincidence, were that I was prompted for a Steam update, though it said it was just a controller interface update or something, and then I ran Steam in 'Big Picture' mode. When I opened PP:DS that time, I was able to get through the doubloon purchase confirmation, though it was still a bit rough, kind of seemed like it was chugging/lagging. (On a brand new 21.5" iMac...)

I have no idea if the update or running in big picture solved the problem, and I definitely don't like that I'll have to disable the System Integrity Protection in the future any time I want to buy more... And even then I think I'll still be hoping it works since it seems like it was just a fluke in the end.

Really hoping the devs are paying attention to this. From a lot of the reading I did it sounds like this is kind of a Steam + Mac issue, perhaps not just PP:DS, however I think the devs need to be paying attention because this is preventing a large chunk of their player base from paying money for this F2P game...kind of important to the survival of the game I would think.

I haven't tried it, but I assume the purchases through the steam client, such as the Explorer and/or Armada packs are working just fine for Mac users, so maybe they can add a way to purchase Doubloons through the client rather than in game...?
    [Nov 11, 2017 11:18:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jimhawkin9

The DLC does indeed work on Mac (10.13 High Sierra), but the overlay does not, not even with SIP disabled, Java updated, integrity of game files verified, etc...

I honestly think its a problem with the game, especially considering that Mac users need to install JDK just to get the game running
    [Nov 22, 2017 5:21:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

I honestly think its a problem with the game, especially considering that Mac users need to install JDK just to get the game running

It's with the overlay on more recent versions of Mac OSX since the overlay fails on other games too.
    #TeamPurple
    [Nov 22, 2017 5:59:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates