• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 180 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
BHorror

Dark Seas: Invisible Pirates/Assets Reply to this Post

Why can't you see pirates / random assets?

Put simply, it's a permissions issue. The game was not able to populate your rsrc folder with some of the assets of the game after an update, because you do not have permission to edit it.

Unfortunately, this also means you cannot delete it, and you cannot reinstall the game to add the files. The only solution I have found that is working for every pirate I speak to, is to restart your computer into safe mode, manually navigate to the location of dark seas in your steam folder, delete the whole thing, reboot, and redownload the game. (So far, everyone had windows 10, but if anyone has a different OS with the issue, feel free to let us know)

- Default location of the game on steam is usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas

- To reboot into safemode, just google it, since I can't reliably give examples to every possible operating system.

Some people have also been saying reinstalling Java somehow fixes the issue, I have no idea if that is related, but all three people that said that worked, mentioned it broke a gain about a day later.

Keep in mind, if you are online with the issue, or even manage to fix the issue with these steps, please use the /bug report command to let them know you either have the issue, or had the issue and fixed it. This is because that command gives them some info about your setup that can help find the cause.

I'll keep an eye on this thread best I can to help anyone still having this issue that is confused. Feel free to /tell Horror on obsidian as well. Don't forget to /bug at some point, though. Post if it works, too!
----------------------------------------
Horror from Emerald and Obsidian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by BHorror at Sep 17, 2017 1:25:28 PM]
[Sep 17, 2017 1:22:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Re: Dark Seas: Invisible Pirates/Assets Reply to this Post

Have you tried running Steam as admin? Also sometimes the folders can end up locked by other processes, so using a tool like Lockhunter allows you to right click the Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas directory, click "What's locking this file" and check if anything is holding up the directory. Only do this while Steam is completely closed (right click Steam icon on task bar and select Exit Steam).

If anything is locking the folder, you can use the Unlock feature to remove it. You can then reload Steam, right click Dark Seas on your Library, Properties, Local Files tab and Verify integrity of local files.

If it's still not working you can try reinstalling.

Aside from this, if your still experiencing problems with invisible graphics, uninstall the game and when you go to install it again, select your Desktop folder as the install location.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Sep 17, 2017 5:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BHorror

Have you tried running Steam as admin? Also sometimes the folders can end up locked by other processes, so using a tool like Lockhunter allows you to right click the Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas directory, click "What's locking this file" and check if anything is holding up the directory. Only do this while Steam is completely closed (right click Steam icon on task bar and select Exit Steam).

That sounds like a useful program, I don't have the issue, so I can't test it myself.

Aside from this, if your still experiencing problems with invisible graphics, uninstall the game and when you go to install it again, select your Desktop folder as the install location.

That is the idea, and what I originally had everyone try, but every single time they attempted to uninstall the game, it wouldn't be able to remove the folder, or add new files to the folder when doing a new install, so it fixed nothing. Hence, my mentioning of safe mode to remove it, first.
Horror from Emerald and Obsidian
[Sep 17, 2017 5:58:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Another tool I have in my arsenal that might be useful then is TakeOwnershipEx (Download)

This will restore/add permissions to a file/folder to ensure you have rights to access/remove it. The Win8 version works on Win10 just fine.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 17, 2017 6:06:02 PM]
[Sep 17, 2017 6:03:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates