• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 424 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
LJAmethyst

No Love for Linux from Dark Seas Reply to this Post

Dear Grey Havens, from Day One you have been comitted to Free and Open Source. You freely shared your code libraries, you ran Linux in the office, and most of all, you supported Linux lovers by releasing Puzzle Pirates for all three systems: Windows, MacOS, and Linux of all flavors.

I happily ran Puzzle Pirates from 2006 until 2015 under Ubuntu Linux. I never in the least felt like I was a second-class citizen. My OS choice was respected and actively supported. You tested everything to make sure it was cross-platform compatible. I was happy to use special Linux tools to make the most of my leisure time with you. I wrote Perl scripts to process the logs and to process lists of ships in port. I upgraded my OS every six months and I upgraded Java many times, especially when they had a security hole. I advised many, many players on how to use the latest and greatest version of Java and I advised them on how to install and run the client, and I advised them on how to overcome bugs, and I advised them on how to use third-party software such as PCTB. In October 2011, Demeter awarded me her OM Doll effigy, "For knowing lots of stuff".

Now we stand at a crossroads, Grey Havens. You have dissed one-third of your userbase. You have cut us out of your future. You have dumped rotten vegetables on our heads. You have released Dark Seas on Steam and you do not support Linux. This is a grave misfortune. This is partly why I did not participate in the Beta test, because I could tell you would not support Linux once the Steam release went live, and I would have invested in a pirate that I could no longer access.

Steam runs on Linux. Puzzle Pirates runs on Linux. Puzzle Pirates on Steam has apparently never run on Linux. Why doesn't Dark Seas run on Linux? Please, tell us this is not a permanent decision! Lord have mercy!
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Sep 15, 2017 9:18:08 PM]
[Sep 15, 2017 9:17:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Factor93

Re: No Love for Linux from Dark Seas Reply to this Post

I personally don't require this but I know a few people who do and cannot currently play PP: Dark Seas. This seems like a poor decision considering the market that you are cutting with this decision.
Factors on every ocean - Active on Obsidian
Fleet Officer of Insatiable

[Sep 16, 2017 12:19:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zxyz

Re: No Love for Linux from Dark Seas Reply to this Post

I'd like to see some statistics on how many Linux users play YPP. It appears that Linux is not very popular on Steam and does not make up a large enough part of the current population either.
Xy on Obsidian
[Sep 16, 2017 10:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates