• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3151 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Cytidine

Large CPU usage spikes following the Steam transition. Reply to this Post

As the title says, after moving to Steam, the game has started having some very noticable performance issues causing constant choppy gameplay.

I took a look at the task manager and noticed that the CPU usage for YPP spikes up and down constantly at a very regular interval.

Here's what the CPU usage looks like while the game is running.

And here is it right after closing the game.

This is on an Intel G2030 processor. And until now there have been 0 issues. Java appears to be up to date, as are my drivers.
[Sep 15, 2017 7:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Large CPU usage spikes following the Steam transition. Reply to this Post

Though not the same as yours, I'm also getting CPU issues. For me, PP is using a lot more CPU than it used to; fully using one of my cores nearly all the time.
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 15, 2017 8:34:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Do you guys have other games in your Steam library that you could check, just to verify if this problem is specific to Puzzle Pirates, or a more general Steam issue?
[Sep 15, 2017 8:47:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cytidine

Opened 2 other games to triple check.

Here's Eternal, running in the background via Steam. Terraria was the other and it show similar CPU usage.

Then immediately after closing it, I opened my Steam version of YPP again and this is it running in the background on just the character select screen.

And to show that the issue is specific to the Steam version. Here is my CPU usage while the NON-Steam install of YPP is running in the background on the title screen.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cytidine at Sep 15, 2017 9:08:50 AM]
[Sep 15, 2017 9:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Do you guys have other games in your Steam library that you could check, just to verify if this problem is specific to Puzzle Pirates, or a more general Steam issue?

It's definitely a YPP issue, I've been using Steam for years and this is new. I tried disabling the overlay and the problem persists.

On a semi-related note, is there going to be a way to re-client in the future? Some players have regular issues with needing to launch a new window, which currently we are unable to do.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Sep 15, 2017 9:42:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Mine is doing something similar; the spikes are occurring on one single logical processor.

Process explorer shows this:

The top process sits below 1.0 and spikes every second, as show in the image.

That's about as far as my technical abilities go, so hopefully that helps.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 15, 2017 9:44:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

The Steam client seems to use its own local folder, rather than the system Java installation, and I'm not quite sure how to switch the javaw.exe it's loading from. Maybe it doesn't matter - but my YPP client is linked to the javaw.exe in the install folder, not the usual Java installation location
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 15, 2017 9:59:32 AM]
[Sep 15, 2017 9:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

My Dark Seas folder contains a shortcut (Play Puzzle Pirates Cursed Sea) targeting my java install, but it wants to start in "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Puzzle Pirates Cursed Sea" which does not exist on my computer. No idea if that's related, of course, and I can launch the game and play. I just can't puzzle because of all the stuttering.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 15, 2017 10:06:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

My Dark Seas folder contains a shortcut (Play Puzzle Pirates Cursed Sea) targeting my java install, but it wants to start in "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\Puzzle Pirates Cursed Sea" which does not exist on my computer. No idea if that's related, of course, and I can launch the game and play. I just can't puzzle because of all the stuttering.

It doesn't use this shortcut at all in Steam - it's just part of the package. I tried to /bug the fact the shortcut contains that reference - but the report failed to successfully submit...
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 15, 2017 10:15:18 AM]
[Sep 15, 2017 10:14:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Figured, thought I'd mention it anyway.

I downloaded the newest version of Java 64 and replaced the files in the YPP Steam folder with the new Java. Game runs the same as before, still stuttering.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 15, 2017 10:39:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Might be worth mentioning that the game is extremely choppy when usage is at 0, and nice and smooth when using the full core. I hate to HWFO but this is pretty game-breaking for some puzzles.

[Sep 15, 2017 12:30:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xanduba

I'm also having problems with ingame minigames
[Sep 15, 2017 12:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leathalx

I'm also having issues with this...
[Sep 15, 2017 12:59:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Thanks to those who experimented with different Java versions, disabling the overlay, and looking at other Steam games. This starts to help narrow things down.

If anyone running into this issue could post some general info (operating system, Processor type, video card) it would be super helpful. Anyone not having this problem can also post their specs, and we can see if there's some particular hardware or software to blame.
[Sep 15, 2017 1:21:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Odyn9

Thanks to those who experimented with different Java versions, disabling the overlay, and looking at other Steam games. This starts to help narrow things down.

If anyone running into this issue could post some general info (operating system, Processor type, video card) it would be super helpful. Anyone not having this problem can also post their specs, and we can see if there's some particular hardware or software to blame.

I am having this issue

I3 - ati radeon 6770 HD GPU 8 GB ram

It's getting to the point where I can't play gunning or treasure drop as I freeze up pretty frequently.
Zaye - Emerald
Odyn - Obsidian

King of Right Meow

[Sep 15, 2017 1:35:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

AMD 8350
Radeon R9 270
Windows 7, Classic theme (no Aero)

I tried to replace the Java version with the one that YPP was using before, but the client wouldn't launch (it gave no errors either).

[Sep 15, 2017 1:44:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mordizzi1

I'm having this issue and it's absolutely unplayable. I've tried reinstalling everything, steam and PP. Tried updating everything I could update, no success. Playing on a laptop with a Nvidia gfx card if that's of any help.
This is really bothersome not only because I can't play the game at all but because of the amount of new people the game can potentially lose with this, since a newcomer with this issue will probably just give up on the game right away.
[Sep 15, 2017 2:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Windows 8.1, no Aero.
Intel Core i7-4720HQ.
AMD Radeon R9 M265X/Intel HD 4600.

I am having puzzle stuttering issues.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 15, 2017 2:53:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

The issue of CPU usage goes away when I boot into safe mode, it uses a continuous 0%. However, this makes the stuttering permanent, instead of coming and going with the higher CPU issue.

Edit: The module responsible for the CPU spikes is "msvcr100.dll!0x5C59C" under Thread ID 684. It is in "waiting" mode during low usage, stating that the "Reason for delay: The thread is waiting for a user request.". It goes to "completed" during the CPU spike.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by GreatBob at Sep 15, 2017 4:23:43 PM]
[Sep 15, 2017 3:35:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

The issue of CPU usage goes away when I boot into safe mode, it uses a continuous 0%. However, this makes the stuttering permanent, instead of coming and going with the higher CPU issue.

Edit: The module responsible for the CPU spikes is "msvcr100.dll!0x5C59C" under Thread ID 684. It is in "waiting" mode during low usage, stating that the "Reason for delay: The thread is waiting for a user request.". It goes to "completed" during the CPU spike.

When examining the process thread when the CPU spike is happening, what is the list of things within the "Stack" menu?
#TeamPurple
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 15, 2017 5:35:44 PM]
[Sep 15, 2017 5:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Took a peek at my own system. Java hovers consistently around 17-18%, and I see Windows Module Installer Worker chugging away at something in the background with varying usage levels, but I don't know if that's related or not.

Windows 10
Intel i7-5700HQ @2.7GHz (goes up to 3.5)
GeForce GTX 960M
12GB RAM
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Sep 15, 2017 6:21:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    SSC Thunderbird [Link]  Go to top 
Apocalyte8

I have been having the same problem. I figured it would just get fixed but since it hasn't I'll add what i know.

cpu specs

i3-6100 3.7ghz
8 gb ram
windows 7 ultimate 64x
Nvidia geforce GTX 960

Everything runs smooth on older beta client but through steam it stutters with super low fps. The javaw process is below 1% cpu when it stutters and when it is smooth it is at 20-30% cpu (once every few minutes it will go smooth for a few seconds).

what i have tried.
1. reinstalled java and java in steam folder.
2. reinstalled steam
3. reinstalled graphics and all display drivers
4. ran in safe mode (made it worse)
5. Reinstalled windows completely which has helped nothing jsut wasted a few hours of my time.
[Sep 16, 2017 12:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
j1er

Windows 10 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700
CPU: 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB

Not experiencing any issues - could this be an OS issue?
[Sep 16, 2017 12:58:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

When examining the process thread when the CPU spike is happening, what is the list of things within the "Stack" menu?

wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x6c0
wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x4a8
wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x1ce
wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x42a
ntdll.dll!TpAlpcRegisterCompletionList+0x790c
ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
ntdll.dll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0x15
kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x43
kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12
gameoverlayrenderer.dll!OverlayHookD3D3+0x1dc37
gameoverlayrenderer.dll!ValveIsScreenshotsHooked+0x13e3
gameoverlayrenderer.dll!ValveIsScreenshotsHooked+0x12b8
gameoverlayrenderer.dll+0x553cc
gameoverlayrenderer.dll!BOverlayNeedsPresent+0x1f
jvm.dll!JVM_GetThreadStateNames+0x5e057
jvm.dll!JVM_GetThreadStateNames+0x523b0
jvm.dll!_JVM_GetManagementExt@4+0xab80c
jvm.dll!JVM_GetThreadStateNames+0x4d035
jvm.dll!_JVM_FindSignal@4+0x63dde
jvm.dll!JVM_GetThreadStateNames+0x4d0ce
jvm.dll!_JVM_DoPrivileged@20+0x2bf
jvm.dll+0x73a4
jvm.dll!_JVM_IsInterrupted@12+0xb6

I wonder if it has to do with it going from Wait:UserRequest to Running, when the lag is and isn't happening, respectively.

Forc, if you need any specific information I'll provide whatever I can.

[Sep 16, 2017 4:54:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

Thank you both for looking into this further, it gave me an idea of something to try. I just put out a stealth release on Obsidian with some additional code that may help with CPU usage, could you relaunch your client when you get a chance and let me know if it makes any difference?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Forculus at Sep 16, 2017 7:34:31 AM]
[Sep 16, 2017 7:31:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Forculus wrote: 
Thank you both for looking into this further, it gave me an idea of something to try. I just put out a stealth release on Obsidian with some additional code that may help with CPU usage, could you relaunch your client when you get a chance and let me know if it makes any difference?

You sir, are a beautiful human being. Smooth as a freshly polished hook. Thanks!

[Sep 16, 2017 7:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leathalx

100% better Forculus. Thanks! :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Leathalx at Sep 16, 2017 8:06:27 AM]
[Sep 16, 2017 8:05:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Fixed for me too, just in time for my labour badge expiring :) thanks Forculus!
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 16, 2017 10:20:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forculus
Developer

This change caused the Steam overlay to stop working for quite a few players, so I've had to revert it back for now. I'll look into it more on Monday to find a way prevent the CPU spikes while still keeping the Steam overlay happy.
[Sep 16, 2017 3:33:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

Is the Steam overlay really more important than the ability to play the game? I have nothing available to me except bnav, now.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Sep 16, 2017 9:39:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates