• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2412 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
patgangster

Route difficulties on the template maps Reply to this Post

So, after seeing this post in the Emerald Parley, I decided to check out the various available maps... and I found that the map templates for Cerulean and Meridian have incredibly detailed route difficulty listings... which I found missing for Emerald and Obsidian.

Does anyone know who made these, if there are any plans to do the same for the newly released Obsidian ocean, and also maybe for Emerald for those who still care about that?
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 7, 2017 8:28:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

Re: Route difficulties on the template maps Reply to this Post

So, after seeing this post in the Emerald Parley, I decided to check out the various available maps... and I found that the map templates for Cerulean and Meridian have incredibly detailed route difficulty listings... which I found missing for Emerald and Obsidian.

Does anyone know who made these, if there are any plans to do the same for the newly released Obsidian ocean, and also maybe for Emerald for those who still care about that?

I don't know how to do them, but I wouldn't do obsidian yet anyway. The route difficulties are...odd. Hopefully they'll be changed by the end of testing.

(I haven't figured out how to compensate for the variations of the parchment-y map background. I guess we could take three pixels from each LP and average them, but ugh. I'm hoping there's an easier/more accurate way.)
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Sep 7, 2017 10:27:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

The route difficulties are...odd. Hopefully they'll be changed by the end of testing.

I actually wrote about that in Game Design a while back, but it didn't get many responses or attention.

It's a fair reason to not do it (yet), since it does feel like something that should be changed.

(And that parchment thing is also an issue. How was this done for those other two oceans?)
TriplePat, Joining the great obsidian migration.
[Sep 8, 2017 3:37:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

(I haven't figured out how to compensate for the variations of the parchment-y map background. I guess we could take three pixels from each LP and average them, but ugh. I'm hoping there's an easier/more accurate way.)

From what I remember reading about it ages ago, initially, someone took many screen dumps of the maps and averaged them and yeah, it was ugly. then, someone (maybe the same person, I don't remember) got permission from an OM or Dev to replace the game image files for league points to get clear images (and then restore them while playing for real).

The early YPP attracted a lot of techies so there has been a lot more done for older oceans. Things like exact commodity spawn rates, route difficulty rates were explored before the world maps showed them, many of the shop/trade/blockade/pillager tools, island editing tools, etc., were developed on the older oceans, etc.

Good luck.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Sep 8, 2017 6:01:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
budclare2

then, someone (maybe the same person, I don't remember) got permission from an OM or Dev to replace the game image files for league points to get clear images (and then restore them while playing for real).

Oh, hey, that's a good idea. I saw the image used for the parchment around somewhere...
Budclare on Meridian

I want a cookie.

(Imp turned me into a dolly! :D)
[Sep 9, 2017 5:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

From what I remember reading about it ages ago, initially, someone took many screen dumps of the maps and averaged them and yeah, it was ugly. then, someone (maybe the same person, I don't remember) got permission from an OM or Dev to replace the game image files for league points to get clear images (and then restore them while playing for real).

That's what we did. Those of us that were working on the map project got permission from the OMs to replace the parchment background with a blank white image. This enabled us to get a clean reading of the value of each league point.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 9, 2017 7:00:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
redboi11

As the creator of the Emerald Ocean map request thread I support this. I don't have much techie knowledge of the game but I am more than willing to contribute if I can.
Jripper on Emerald
[Sep 9, 2017 8:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

That's what we did. Those of us that were working on the map project got permission from the OMs to replace the parchment background with a blank white image. This enabled us to get a clean reading of the value of each league point.

Oh, that's brilliant actually! Would definitely love to see route difficulties for the missing oceans.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Scythera <3
[Sep 9, 2017 4:57:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates