• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3891 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
JMRUDNICK

Obsidian puzzling scoring and Ranks Reply to this Post

I know some puzzle scoring is right and other is wrong. I can do the same puzzle move here and on other oceans, mostly meridian but some on Emerald, and the results are totally different. I hope this will be addressed soon because it will cause some people not to want to play on Obsidian including me.
----------------------------------------
JeanneMarie of Obsidian
Formerly of Meridian
Captain of Lion's Roar
Princess of Placeholder
[Aug 15, 2017 9:43:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Re: Obsidian puzzling scoring and Ranks Reply to this Post

There is nothing broken needing to be fixed. All puzzle scoring is based on a curve. Your score depends on how well the rest of the ocean is doing. Lots of good players have returned to obsidian who may have retired in the past. Fewer poor players have returned, so if your scores are not as good on obsidian that's because you're not doing as well compared to the rest of the players who've puzzled in the last ten days. That's all.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Aug 15, 2017 9:58:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bubblesalt

I know some puzzle scoring is right and other is wrong. I can do the same puzzle move here and on other oceans, mostly meridian but some on Emerald, and the results are totally different. I hope this will be addressed soon because it will cause some people not to want to play on Obsidian including me.

Although EmpressTamar is right, the scoring system is definitely off which is infuriating. I don't expect the new ocean to be 'easy' but when it's next to impossible to get an expert or incredible on almost any puzzle, one might have to agree with the post above.

Carpentry masterpiece 13s and 14s should not result in only a 'good', for example? How are some pirates getting ultimates when I can't seem to get above master in the only puzzle I'm good at? :P
Bubbleboy on the Virdian Ocean.
[Aug 16, 2017 11:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Although EmpressTamar is right, the scoring system is definitely off which is infuriating. I don't expect the new ocean to be 'easy' but when it's next to impossible to get an expert or incredible on almost any puzzle, one might have to agree with the post above.

Carpentry masterpiece 13s and 14s should not result in only a 'good', for example? How are some pirates getting ultimates when I can't seem to get above master in the only puzzle I'm good at? :P

The (estimated) influx of new players from the Steam release should help balance things out, however there will be a period of time where those players are unable to generate any sort of score. Being as scoring nothing but learning/poor will be very off-putting, I hope that GH will work something out to help inflate scores during those first few days.

Ideally there should be hard min/max limits at certain points in scoring, but I'd like to see how things normalize once Obsidian hits full production before trying to tackle any of that in Game Design.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Aug 16, 2017 12:27:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

I'm not ultimate yet, but I have gotten several incredibles in carpentry (which was always my best puzzle). The answer to MP13/14 being a good is that speed matters in carpentry, and the people who've come back and are choosing carp over patching are some fast carpenters. The scoring system's not off, the playerbase is heavily skewed. In the repair puzzles, speed kills.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Aug 16, 2017 2:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wolfofsin

I think that all the new Steam players, despite making the average ranking and DR much easier, will only serve as a temporary fix. What's so wrong with testing and having checkpoints where puzzles will have fixed scoring rather than dynamic based on the player-base? If the indicator is shining or getting close it's pretty lame to still get only fine or good. I never knew I could booch DNav without overfilling till this ocean. Ultimate/legendary can definitely stay reserved to a player vs player basis. The other oceans had a lot of alternate accounts making it extra difficult for someone else to go for ultimate. Could we also address this to count as only one ult stat per IP?

And, guns. I've loaded a lot more guns than others with a higher stat in the same time frame, but they score higher because they have a different method that pleases the scoring system more. Can't we make it number of guns loaded per LP, grapple, or break? Or, blend that and the normal system together.
"Burial" on Meridian
"Legacy" on Obsidian c:
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Wolfofsin at Aug 23, 2017 2:10:33 AM]
[Aug 23, 2017 2:08:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Issue as I see it as the # of players vs the number of pirates each player is allowed.

If Ultimate is the top 1%

Each player is allowed 9 pirates.

So the elite experienced players have the full amount and the new players are happy with the one and may kick out to 3 until they get into shops then may figure it out. I recall only playing with 3 for the first few years.

So you have the extremely good players keeping others down by having 9 or more extremely good pirates especially in crafting puzzles. to prevent others from being able to perform the expert labor.

This worked just fine when their were a lot of players but now we have 100-200 active players on which is likely 150 people as some will duel client.

So that 150 people have 9 accounts or 1,350 pirates

So 13.5 Pirates can be in the top 1% Ultimate, as it should be, but wait they have at least 9 pirates so only 2 actual people hold these spots.

I would imagine on oceans such as cerilian one person could if they desired have a monopoly on Renound Distilling.

No one likes losing, I recently have been playing other oceans as Obsidian has issues I don't care for. Very easily achieved Ultimate and Incredible and it was a lot of fun. I hope this system could be fixed/adjusted based on actual players vs pirates some how before the launch. Its not much fun doing fine over and over and over, and some people won't hire low stat pirates leaving them on the dock wondering why this could ever be fun.
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Feb 16, 2018 5:59:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

@Wolfofsin I'm afraid that's not how Guns works. It's not about which method pleases the system. Like many other puzzles, you are ranked on efficiency. 0.3 Cannons/sec is superior to 0.2 Cannons/sec. You probably loaded more cannons but spent way more time doing so, hence lower efficiency than them. Hope this helps.

Back to the topic, yeah most people have covered it. It's a score curve which applies to every pirate. The mechanics hasn't changed, but the curve is undoubtedly different than the older oceans.
Ryuken on Obsidian (active) and Emerald (not really)
I made an in-depth Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.
I gave Obsidian their Owls c:
[Feb 16, 2018 6:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Just putting this here since the thread title matches.

(video: http://tinyurl.com/RyuDistil)
That's a perfect board setup. Pushing the skill ceiling higher (if at all possible) wouldn't have helped. Excellent DR.

I usually stand by the scoring curve. It's dynamic and serves as a proxy for how your skill level compares to the other active pirates. But this is just wrong. Forculus pls :c
[Dec 25, 2018 1:27:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Since 10+ years a CC 13 is an excellent or an incredible. You need enough spices to get a safe incred with CC 13. CC 14+ was always an incredible. Has this changed? I would cry, if CC 14+ isnt an incred .... ok, if i would distill like many, many years ago lol.
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt (Obsidian)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Dec 26, 2018 5:12:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hidemyhoney

Since 10+ years a CC 13 is an excellent or an incredible. You need enough spices to get a safe incred with CC 13. CC 14+ was always an incredible. Has this changed? I would cry, if CC 14+ isnt an incred .... ok, if i would distill like many, many years ago lol.

Are you sure about 10+ years? I know Obsidian has only been around for like 18 months, and unfortunately it is CC13 exc and CC14 inc. But on the other Oceans CC12 is always inc, and Emerald is like always CC13 inc.
Support Sov! and I miss Jake :(

Bring the positives from obsidian ocean to main oceans!

Idk why people use alts to be relevant bashing everything.......
[Dec 26, 2018 8:30:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Yeah - definitely not 10+ years ago. Searched my logs for "CC12", roughly the summer of 2015 was when I had my first CC12 non-incs (on emerald). I don't play distilling too consistently / often, but it's probably not off by too much.

Either way, playing a perfect game and not getting inc feels awful.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at Dec 27, 2018 3:34:13 AM]
[Dec 27, 2018 3:33:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Either way, playing a perfect game and not getting inc feels awful.
Yep.. especially when you think about the factors involved for a perfect setup:

1) You need a perfect spawn of whites/spices at the end of mid-game. Under ideal conditions that's about 0.015% probability.
2) But you'd also need strong luck one turn prior to that perfect spawn. Enough to ensure you can get rid of all Browns+Blacks, without producing any Burns in the process.
3) And yeah top-level play to reach the stage where points 1 and 2 even matter to begin with.

Basically be a pro at distil and wait for the stars in the universe to align. For an excellent.

Yes i'm salty :c
[Dec 27, 2018 7:54:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

Are you sure about 10+ years? I know Obsidian has only been around for like 18 months, and unfortunately it is CC13 exc and CC14 inc. But on the other Oceans CC12 is always inc, and Emerald is like always CC13 inc.

Ok, i have to correct my words. On Opal (many years ago) CC 13 was sometimes exc or inc, depends on the # of spices. Same on the test ocean Ice, long ago i played there. Emerald is a low level ocean, we all know this. I can remember the time before they merged the oceans. Then you got an inc with a CC 10. What a real fun ...
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt (Obsidian)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Silverdream at Dec 27, 2018 8:23:42 AM]
[Dec 27, 2018 8:22:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates